Hyundai Ioniq & Kia EV Thread

Carscoops take on what the production model could look like
2021-Hyundai-45-Carscoops-1-768x470.jpg
Well that looks fantastic. Less distinctive but also better than the Honda E. I'm not sure if the two cars compete in the same class but the Ioniq 5 clearly isn't much bigger, yet has a battery twice the size as the Honda so it can actually go places. As mentioned above, I really love that this styling is basically a cyberpunk alternative Mazda 3 @05XR8

Last edited:
Well that looks fantastic. Less distinctive but also better than the Honda E. I'm not sure if the two cars compete in the same class but the Ioniq 5 clearly isn't much bigger, yet has a battery twice the size as the Honda so it can actually go places. As mentioned above, I really love that this styling is basically a cyberpunk alternative Mazda 3 @05XR8

The Mazda 3 comparison makes sense because the Ioniq 5 is roughly the size of a C-Segment hatchback and should have a slightly raised ride height due to its crossover styling, positioning it a class above the Honda E. As for the Honda, that is shorter than a Mazda 2 hatchback.

Edit: Found some approximate specs, it could be bigger than I thought (Longer and wider, but lower than a Nissan Ariya)

• length: 4,640 mm, width: 1,890 mm, height: 1,600 mm, wheelbase: 3,000 mm

It doesn't look that big in the images, I still reckon it is a C-Segment vehicle.

Last edited:
That render looks more like an A1(+VW). Kind of lost the Mazda3 similarity. Still, the Hyundai does look high class. That's what the 3 is aiming(has aimed) for.

I'd probably change that Hyundai "45" to maybe 44 or 46. :sly:

Hyundai Ioniq 5 revealed
Hyundai-Ioniq-5-8.jpg

Hyundai-Ioniq-5-11.jpg

Hyundai-Ioniq-5-12.jpg

Hyundai-Ioniq-5-26.jpg

Hyundai-Ioniq-5-20.jpg

And it turns out the Ioniq 5 is a chonky boy: 4,635mm in length makes it 5mm longer than Tuscon (US spec with the extended wheelbase) overall, while the packaging means it has a longer Wheelbase than a Telluride. I don't think I have ever come across a design that hides its sheer size so well!

This angle right here is the money shot for this car.

WnMxkx3.jpg

Before & after. While they did a decent job of translating the surface detailing, the massing got nerfed pretty bad. The concept looked so taught and athletic, the production car looks like a typical crossover with the same body lines grafted onto it. I loved the concept, but I think they shouldn't have tried to make such a mainstream car out of it. Reminds me a bit of the Supra...ambitious but ultimately only semi-successful translation of a very sophisticated/complex design study.

Wow. I like it. Never thought I'd say that about a Hyundai until now. This coming from a guy who used to own a dinky little Hyundai Accent almost two decades ago and got impressed by its reliability, but not so much with everything else.

Depending on price, I might seriously consider it in a couple of years' time if I want to replace or add to my current car collection, which consists of a single Nissan pick up truck... :dopey:

Fantastic but hoooo boy I hope that interior comes in dark and those screens have a night mode. Talk about being blinded...and using more battery to light the damn things up.

And it turns out the Ioniq 5 is a chonky boy: 4,635mm in length makes it 5mm longer than Tuscon (US spec with the extended wheelbase) overall, while the packaging means it has a longer Wheelbase than a Telluride. I don't think I have ever come across a design that hides its sheer size so well!
That's not really all that surprising. The Tucson is one of the smaller in its segment and is basically a lifted hatchback, only 4.5 inches longer than a Corolla hatchback and 6 inches shorter than a Corolla sedan. The Mazda 3 hatchback is only an inch shorter than the this or the Tucson. The Ioniq 5 an appropriately sized small car for the North American market which is about as small as you can make an EV before its range won't be very useful over here (I'm looking at you i3, Mini, Bolt, etc), and I imagine it's an appropriately sized midsize car for Europe. Importantly, this Ioniq 5 is an entire foot longer than the Chevrolet Bolt which is not very popular at all partly because its proportions are ugly and it's too small to be very practical. This thing slots right smack in between the two-door hatch Veloster at 166 inches and the new Elantra sedan at 184 inches, while being usefully longer than the admittedly small current Elantra GT hatchback at 171 inches. It does look smaller than it is but it's just the right size.

Last edited:
I'd probably change that Hyundai "45" :sly:
👍

I still find it amazing Hyundai came from the Excel $6995 to today. The recharge station near my place, is going to be full, when this thing hits showrooms.

Ioniq is a stupid name and that's been annoying me since the first one came out a few years ago, it just reminds me of my wife's "Ionic" curling iron she claims works better than anything else on the market.

Interesting that he's noticing so many different shades and textures of silver. That can work occasionally if the differences are consistent and limited but it can definitely be overdone.

Overall I'm pretty interested in this. I love the design and the solar roof and would definitely consider owning a long-range version of this. However, in the US Tesla's Supercharger system is really hard to beat. The consistency of speeds and the reliability is very impressive, much better than other charging networks. Hopefully Hyundai's onboard system either uses Apple Carplay/Android Auto or can at least integrate with one of those two maps services (Tesla's built-in navigation simply uses Google Maps) and will smartly plot routes to fast chargers rather than including pitifully slow ones which are virtually useless. Road trips in America are very common and EVs simply have to be able to carry heavy loads for long distances efficiently otherwise its literally going to be decades until they become the majority of cars sold. Tesla still seems to be developing new technology quicker than legacy OEMs which are still debuting dated technology to this day. Overall, I have a feeling the Model 3 and Model Y are still better cars than this Ioniq 5 but I do love the potential.

Last edited:
The Kia version:

kia-ev6-04-1615579594.jpg

It's not bad, IMO - though I am getting very strong VW ID vibes. But that's kind of weird in itself because I feel like its the other way around, with VW ID products more resembling the Koreans these days.

Last edited:
Both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 are designed to capture different tastes in the market but both look respectable in their own ways. The Ioniq 5 looks more futuristic and outlandish while the EV6 has a more conventional but contemporary styling approach.

Personally, I find the Hyundai more appealing, but the KIA isn't bad either.

The Kia version:

kia-ev6-04-1615579594.jpg

It's not bad, IMO - though I am getting very strong VW ID vibes. But that's kind of weird in itself because I feel like its the other way around, with VW ID products more resembling the Koreans these days.
Volkswagen looks like a Kia, Kia looks like a Volkswagen :rolleyes: I don't even know what to think anymore!

But honestly this thing also looks great if a bit more "normal" than the Hyundai. I would probably choose the Hyundai for its standout styling. One bonus is that this Kia looks like something we'd expect from Kia which I consider a compliment to appropriate design, whereas the VW competitor...looks like something we'd expect from Kia. That's a diss to VW for inappropriate design.

I read you all about the VW, but I'm getting Toyota C-HR mates Suzuki Swift vibes. Looks nice. Let's see what both those warranties look like. Because if VW matches Hyundai with warranty length, going to be an interesting sales battle.

I actually prefer the styling of the Kia EV6 Crossover. The Ioniq 5 is certainly not a bad looking car. But I'm not a crossover fan, so my interest in both cars is limited.

To me, the Hyundai doesn't ven look like a crossover. Pretty much, all the cars in the SUV segment, look lik SUVs. This Hyundai looks like a swole Golfi30.

A Kia with almost 580bhp and 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds.

I must be living in an alternate universe or something.

Last edited:
Waaaaiiiiit wait wait wait a second here.

I just tried the Kia EV6 configurator and it appears that the AWD models...don't have a frunk? The motor and hardware at the front is mounted vertically which would take up any space a frunk could use.

I guess I'll say it again, not that any engineers will read it: If your EV doesn't have a frunk then it is complete garbage. Start over.. I absolutely will not even consider buying an EV that doesn't do what Tesla figured out how to do more than five years ago. Anything else is just lazy engineering. The number of AWD EVs on the market without a frunk is too damn high! That's one way you can instantly tell that a manufacturer has no idea what they're doing and is completely out of their element.

Anything else is just lazy engineering. The number of AWD EVs on the market without a frunk is too damn high! That's one way you can instantly tell that a manufacturer has no idea what they're doing and is completely out of their element.

In the case of the Nissan Ariya and the VW ID.3, the space in the front is taken up by the climate control unit so it is not stored within the dashboard. As a trade-off, you have more cabin and boot/trunk space.

It's not a solution for everyone, but there are bound to be those who prefer one large storage area over two smaller ones. I would argue this solution makes more sense for smaller cars.

Last edited:
In the case of the Nissan Ariya and the VW ID.3, the space in the front is taken up by the climate control unit so it is not stored within the dashboard. As a trade-off, you have more cabin and boot/trunk space.

It's not a solution for everyone, but there are bound to be those who prefer one large storage area over two smaller ones. I would argue this solution makes more sense for smaller cars.
There's only one car I've ever desired more "dashboard" interior space in and that's actually my Toyota Sequoia of all things. Not quite as extreme as a Jeep, Land Rover, or FJ obviously, but the relatively vertical windshield and upright seats means the climate control hardware hangs down below the dash and into the footwell. But besides that I've never had an issue in any size sedan or crossover, even a Miata. I'm not sure the importance of this "interior" space they've discovered. Tesla and other brands don't seem to have required that change and still offer normal-sized trunks *and* frunks for a total notably larger but just as manageable as a typical ICE car. Key word "manageable" - obviously my Sequoia has a tremendous cargo area but it's relatively unmanageable with only four grocery bag hooks and no box or divider system to keep small cargo from reaching terminal velocity while turning out of the parking lot. In my experience I don't actually want a single bigger cargo area, I would rather have two smaller ones so my stuff doesn't look like it was airdropped by the time I get home. It also offers better cargo weight distribution if you're actually filling it to the max. Plus - and don't quote me on this because I don't think it's been done yet (perhaps Rivian will do this) - having a frunk would allow one of the two cargo areas to be used as a cooler for ice and food and drinks while the other is used for normal cargo. Tailgating in a Model 3 with a hypothetical frunk cooler? Sounds like a great idea to me. Perhaps somebody makes an aftermarket insert to do just that.

Last edited:
Back