Hyundai Ioniq & Kia EV Thread

Possible Ioniq 5 N testing at the Ring. Will likely have the same 577hp drivetrain as the KIA EV6 GT.
hyundai-ioniq-5-n-front-view-spy-photo.jpg
hyundai-ioniq-5-n-side-view-spy-photo.jpg

I'm intrigued to see the visual changes that will be made over the regular Ioniq 5. As cool as the standard car is, it looks less athletic compared to the EV6 GT. I imagine the production car will have wider fenders based on the increased track width.

Saw my first few this morning when I collected my boss from the adjoining van centre next to this Hyundai dealership.

Very much a fan of it.

rsz_20210906_080132-01.png

I can't think of another manufacturer out there who would have two such strikingly different designs sharing not only the same brand name, but also the same model name. I like what Hyundai is doing - it feels fresh not only in the actual designs, but the whole marketing strategy.

According to CarWow, the Kia is actually more efficient than the Hyundai.

I just came here to say...

I saw one of these where I live for the first time recently and wow, the styling Hyundai gave this car is incredible in-person. It looks good in the photos but it's even better once you see it out and about. Went in to get my Elantra changed off of the winter tires and I got to see a few of them in different metallic paint colours, and each one was stunning.

Car styling in my opinion in the last five to seven years has been sort of awkward and strange, designs not really looking all that different or new, and oftentimes converging to the point where everything sort of looks the same.

The Ioniq 5 is the first car of the 2020's I've seen that properly looks like a car of the 2020's. It's so much more futuristic and sleek than everything else driving around right now, and it was incredibly impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
Model Y size I assume, eh? The Model Y is surprisingly large as well.
Google tells me they are almost the same size but the Model Y is designed to look like it's utility vehicle sized - or, I don't know, the model Y is such a weird shape that its hard to draw a useful conclusion looking at pictures. The Ioniq 5, on the other hand, looks like somebody took a MK2 VW Golf and scaled it uniformly in all dimensions until it was utility vehicle-size. That's the weird part. It looks like a hatchback, but it's the size of a Rav4. I think this is the result of two things:

The wheels, and wheel arches, are big. The thing comes with 20" wheels.
The wheels are pushed way out to the corners.

It reminds me of this video that GCN recently did, where they fitted one of their super tall (I think he is 6'-8") with a bike that was actually scaled up - including the wheels - rather than just a large size frame on normal wheels. The result is a bike that looks normal...until you park it next to another bike.

Finally saw it on the road. It’s different and almost looks dated already. Not in a bad way, because it fits in with traffic. That too, not in a bad way. Something different.

I like how they've taken one single very recognizable cue, the cubic lights, and told the design team to go wild on all their designs but keep this tiny detail across the board. It's just enough to establish the brand while allowing very unique designs between cars. They're really onto something here. I feel like we haven't seen that style of brand recognition across a model range, maybe ever. I suppose Cadillac has long done a similar thing with their signature vertical tail lights. Lincoln added many small design details to their Star concept that could result in unique but recognizable designs across a range.

Is the age of every car in the range being a Xerox copy finally over?

Last edited:
Is the age of every car in the range being a Xerox copy finally over?
Maybe with the Koreans, but I would say highly unlikely with the Germans and Japanese who are very much into the nesting doll branding strategy. I don't think American manufacturers have ever gone all in on that approach - even a brand with such a singular aesthetic as Jeep offers fairly different looking vehicles with a familiar grill motif. Ford and GM models have always been all over the place design-wise.

Maybe with the Koreans, but I would say highly unlikely with the Germans and Japanese who are very much into the nesting doll branding strategy. I don't think American manufacturers have ever gone all in on that approach - even a brand with such a singular aesthetic as Jeep offers fairly different looking vehicles with a familiar grill motif. Ford and GM models have always been all over the place design-wise.
Well, at least after Rybicki was given his gold watch and catapulted out of the 14th floor.

Love what Hyundai is doing with the Ioniq series. Talk about rebranding a company's image. They really seized the opportunity with the massive change in the industry.

I love it on the outside, I think it would look incredible in a dark colour. I dislike the interior though, especially the center console area, everything looks very bland and cheap compared to the exterior.

Last edited:
I’ve spent about ten days obsessing over EVs, watching YouTube reviews, calculating ranges, planning trips (virtually) with charging station apps, building spreadsheet models and generally geeking out.

Conclusions include totally curing myself of “range anxiety“ and 99.9% convincing myself that my next car will be an Ioniq 5 Limited with AWD.

The lease is up on my Honda CRV in December.

Sadly, the rest of the world has sprung into action because of increased gasoline prices and screwed up supply 😡

Back