I don’t quite understand the outcry for a career mode, if only a small minority offered with GTS GT League & Arcade mode

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 93 comments
I love racing, so much so that racing in the GT league, completing all the Arcade mode races and yes sport mode also, has all been just as fun for me as each other.

I look at GT7 and many people were crying for a career mode, but I don’t understand why if most people play sport mode and hardly anyone bothered with Arcade/GT League. The reason I say this is because other than receiving new cars for completing races, there really is no difference, and if you enjoy racing as much as I or as many of us do, the gift cares are irrelevant.

So I guess I just want to understand is why a single player career mode is so in demand when the people that want to play it, probably didn’t even bother with GT League or Arcade mode to begin with. What’s the big deal about a career mode that means those that didn‘t touch any of the single player content in GTS, will suddenly be all over it in GT7?

This isn’t meant as some kind of criticism or diatribe, I am just genuinely curious about the appeal of a career mode. My experience shows that as I said, other than gift cars, GT league is pretty much identical to past GT games. No car parts, I understand that, but surely that can’t be THE reason because the tuning in GTS is, I think, incredibly in depth.

I look at GT7 and many people were crying for a career mode, but I don’t understand why if most people play sport mode
They don't. Completely the opposite.

84% of GTS players haven't done a single sport race. Not one. Only 7% have done more than 10 races.
So I guess I just want to understand is why a single player career mode is so in demand when the people that want to play it, probably didn’t even bother with GT League or Arcade mode to begin with. What’s the big deal about a career mode that means those that didn‘t touch any of the single player content in GTS, will suddenly be all over it in GT7?
Because we want a GOOD career mode. The tacked on GTS GT League was terrible because it had no progression, no prize cars, and most importantly, it had no actual races. You started every race at the back and passed mobile chicanes masquerading as AI.

Even being awful that mode had better participation than Sport mode with "only" 40% having not done one race compared to the over double for Sport mode.

This isn’t meant as some kind of criticism or diatribe, I am just genuinely curious about the appeal of a career mode. My experience shows that as I said, other than gift cars, GT league is pretty much identical to past GT games. No car parts, I understand that, but surely that can’t be THE reason because the tuning in GTS is, I think, incredibly in depth.
Not everyone enjoys online gaming, for one. Secondly, it's what GT was built upon. It's what people know and want. They want to start from nothing, enter races, and gradually build up a car collection.

Like I said, we just want it to be much improved over GTS and past games. Some people probably do just want a copy of GT1-6 but I don't, personally.

Last edited:
They don't. Completely the opposite.

84% of GTS players haven't done a single sport race. Not one. Only 7% have done more than 10 races.

Because we want a GOOD career mode. The tacked on GTS GT League was terrible because it had no progression, no prize cars, and most importantly, it had no actual races. You started every race at the back and passed mobile chicanes masquerading as AI.

Even being awful that mode had better participation than Sport mode with "only" 40% having not done one race compared to the over double for Sport mode.

Not everyone enjoys online gaming, for one. Secondly, it's what GT was built upon. It's what people know and want. They want to start from nothing, enter races, and gradually build up a car collection.

Like I said, we just want it to be much improved over GTS and past games. Some people probably do just want a copy of GT1-6 but I don't, personally.
But GT league does have progression and does have that car collection aspect. You earn money for each race, depending on if gold silver or bronze, the race gets checked off you move onto the next. Like every other GT. You then use your saved up prize money to buy a new car, rinse and repeat.

I completely agree regarding the rolling starts, especially the rabbit chasing, but it is more or less the same kind of career mode as in other GT games just without cars being thrown at you left right and centre.

I do think people are looking at previous gt career modes with rose tinted classes simply because A. GTS is mainly an online racer. B. Yes, the GT league was ‘tacked on’ later on and finally C. It has no gift cars or grid starts.

Last edited:
But GT league does have progression and does have that car collection aspect. You earn money for each race, depending on if gold silver or bronze, the race gets checked off you move onto the next. Like every other GT. You then use your saved up prize money to buy a new car, rinse and repeat.

I completely agree regarding the rolling starts, especially the rabbit chasing, but it is more or less the same kind of career mode as in other GT games just without cars being thrown at you left right and centre.

I do think people are looking at previous gt career modes with rose tinted classes simply because A. GTS is mainly an online racer. B. Yes, the GT league was ‘tacked on’ later on and finally C. It has no gift cars or grid starts.
But like I said, even with all those issues far more people played some of it than they did Sport Mode. It's what more people want, the numbers don't lie.

The rolling starts, chase the rabbit only started with a late GT5 patch. GT1-4 didn't have that.

The second post pretty much renders this thread obsolete since the title of the thread is factually incorrect. I’m not sure where @shenfrey got the impression only a small minority bothered with the GT League in GT sport. It’s arguably what drove sales up in it’s mid-life. It’s certainly what prompted me to buy it since I’m one of the people who has no interest in online racing.

Last edited:
Same. I wasn’t going to buy the game at all. This, after having bought every GT(Japanese and American versions) since 1997, sight unseen, before they hit shelves. Waited and bought GTS in March 2018, only because GT League was added.

The second post pretty much renders this thread obsolete since the title of the thread is factually incorrect. I’m not sure where @shenfrey got the impression only a small minority bothered with the GT League in GT sport. It’s arguably what drove sales up I it’s mid-life. It’s certainly what prompted me to buy it since I’m one of the people who has no interest in online racing.
I agree it was a bold statement, and one based on personal experience across a multitude of platforms. 90% of those I have spoken to, both IRL and all over the internet (Discord, Reddit, Forums etc) most complained and didn’t bother doing much of the single player.

I still stand by the majority of what I said up top, though I will happily admit to being incorrect on the single player in GT league not being as popular as I believed. Though it still could have been much better received I think.

Last edited:
I agree it was a bold statement, and one based on personal experience across a multitude of platforms. 90% of those I have spoken to, both IRL and all over the internet (Discord, Reddit, Forums etc) most complained and didn’t bother doing much of the single player.
Well the statistics prove that those people are the minority, not the other way round. And they’re the vast minority at that.

I still stand by the majority of what I said up top, though I will happily admit to being incorrect on the single player in GT league not being as popular as I believed. Though it still could have been much better received I think.
Much of the rest of what you said doesn’t relate to how popular the single player career mode is in comparison to the online mode, it just compares it to past GT titles. I’m not sure what the point of that is in relation to the thread title which isn’t bold, it’s just factually incorrect.

Yes, GT Sports career shares a lot of similarities with previous titles, but there are also a number of key differences. Lack of proper tuning, no prize cars, catch the rabbit races etc. What it did was combine some bad decisions with a very generic career structure.

Sure, you can find bad decisions in previous games too, but the three points I mentioned above are what I dislike the most when compared to previous titles, albeit GT6 shared the chase the rabbit races and was criticised for it. But GT4’s Special Conditions hall’s 5 second penalties were infuriating at the time too.

That‘s not to say there zero fun in GT Sports single player content, but what people are hoping for is that GT7’s improves in the various ways that they want. Those desired improvements aren’t the same for every person though, so it’s PD’s job to find the right balance.

There is no debate here, your desire to understand why people want a career mode when hardly any people played it in GT Sport is based on a incorrect assumption. Most people wanted it in GT Sport, most people played it in GT Sport and I’d say most people are looking forward to the career mode in GT7 too. There’s nothing to be confused about here.

Last edited:
So, @shenfrey, you’ve created three threads in a relatively short time. In one you complain about the used car dealership, in another you complain about the car count being too low, and now you complain about people wanting a good career mode. You seem to be the one who’s crying over stuff, if anyone.

Last edited:
I already have iRacing. If the game had no good career mode, and no platform for casual racing (Open Lobbies pre-GT Sport) I'd wouldn't even buy the game, GT and eSports doesn't go together very well imo. Other racing services do it way better.

Shenfrey, my guess is that you got a severely-skewed result from your polling due to having asked a disproportionately-sized segment (vs RL) that was already into online racing - the Discord / Reddit / Forum crowd. If you'd asked Steam users the answer might well have been even-more-skewed.

IMHO of course; it really doesn't matter, but FWIMBW, I skipped GT6 altogether 'cause I relish the smorgasbord of challenges the traditional-format GT serves up. I never thought I'd ever skip a GT, but such was my disappointment at PD's apparent change of focus at the time.

To play gt league you need a current ps subscription which i dont have,i dont play any games online so why should i pay to play?This is why i want a decent careet mode.And before you say oh its only £xx per month why should i spend money when i dont need to?
If i dont play gt for a month then ive wasted money,these are my reasons for not subscribing.Like @Samus said not everybody likes online gaming. 👍

To play gt league you need a current ps subscription which i dont have,i dont play any games online so why should i pay to play?This is why i want a decent careet mode.And before you say oh its only £xx per month why should i spend money when i dont need to?
If i dont play gt for a month then ive wasted money,these are my reasons for not subscribing.Like @Samus said not everybody likes online gaming. 👍
You don't need a ps plus subscription to play gt league. Ps plus is only used to play with other players, online.

So, @shenfrey, you’ve created three threads in a relatively short time. In one you complain about the used car dealership, in another you complain about the car count being too low, and now you complain about people wanting a good career mode. You seem to be the one who’s crying over stuff, if anyone.
What can I say, hard to please.

My gripe with GT League is that it feels very shallow, there's barely any thought or creativity put into it. It doesn't feel like you're progressing through anything and it's only chase the rabbit races. If I'm playing against AI then I want more structure and depth in career, otherwise it just feels like a waste of time. Project Cars 2 is a good example of how to do a career mode.

Last edited:
You don't need a ps plus subscription to play gt league. Ps plus is only used to play with other players, online.
Sorry mate,i meant sport mode not GT league.Senior moment for me.:banghead:
I still dont like online gaming though,im not much cop at it also!!

Last edited:
But like I said, even with all those issues far more people played some of it than they did Sport Mode. It's what more people want, the numbers don't lie.

The rolling starts, chase the rabbit only started with a late GT5 patch. GT1-4 didn't have that.
The numbers do lie. kudosprime stats showed that I HAD done Sport mode races when I hadn't done any. It was counting the beta races that I did do. I have done some since then but if is counting the beta, which was free and you could only do sport races then just how inaccurate can they be.

i'm waiting for campaign mode gameplay before going anywhere near a pre order button. Solo gameplay is the majority of players and if they deliver something like GTS/GT6 or GT5 after the patch that nerfed the AI, then picking up the disc version second hand is all I can do for collection reason only.

It is to hope that all the players that took the earlier games to play that remindered Kaz of what we have lost and he takes the correct lessons from those first four games.

I already have iRacing. If the game had no good career mode, and no platform for casual racing (Open Lobbies pre-GT Sport) I'd wouldn't even buy the game, GT and eSports doesn't go together very well imo. Other racing services do it way better.
GTS cost me $10 dollars to buy in 2021.

That's the price of iRacing every month (and it gets more expensive after the 1st).

For entry level iRacing can't compete with GTS.

Sim racing is an expensive hobby and people playing iRacing with their Fanatecs in high end PCs and triple monitor/TrackIR/VR aren't many.

if most people play sport mode
Most people did not play Sport Mode.

If look at trophy stats the Sport Mode unlocking percentage is very low.

/thread

Last edited:
I think PD with GT Sport initially misjudge it's fan base in how far to take online racing, and developed it towards that end, but prior to release was seeing a strong response for having more traditional offline events. After GT Sport I don't think they will go back in with both feet for a all online game again, though I think online racing is a integral part of racing games these days.

I think PD with GT Sport initially misjudge it's fan base in how far to take online racing, and developed it towards that end, but prior to release was seeing a strong response for having more traditional offline events. After GT Sport I don't think they will go back in with both feet for a all online game again, though I think online racing is a integral part of racing games these days.
They've been misjudging the fan base since GT5. That's why this game has to be based on GT1 to 4. Plus online.

GT4 had rolling starts too, didn’t it? It’s past 1am here, quite possible I’m remembering something wrong. I haven’t touched that game in ages

GT4 had rolling starts too, didn’t it? It’s past 1am here, quite possible I’m remembering something wrong. I haven’t touched that game in ages
GT4 did have rolling starts but the cars was packed together for the start.

Later installments had first place up the road already by 20-25 seconds with more cars on track that spread out the grid.

I believe he is talking about how you weren’t given control until your car passed the start line essentially making it a staggered start. Prior games had normal rolling starts where everyone started at the same time.

I haven't either but it didn't have any in the normal racing events IIRC. Or if it did, they were more like real world rolling starts where the pack is close together.

What it did have though is mission challenges. Many of those were catch the rabbit with slow AI to pass, including the infamous mission 34

GTS cost me $10 dollars to buy in 2021.

That's the price of iRacing every month (and it gets more expensive after the 1st).

For entry level iRacing can't compete with GTS.

Sim racing is an expensive hobby and people playing iRacing with their Fanatecs in high end PCs and triple monitor/TrackIR/VR aren't many.
Gran Turismo has always been entry level racing, it's just that GTS showed that it can't really cope with being any more than that.

iRacing is expensive, although not as much as most people make out. But that's also part of the appeal - it's not prohibitively expensive but it is expensive enough to turn away most of the people who don't take it seriously. You don't need expensive gear to play, I started out with an old DFGT, a single monitor and a basic PC and did just fine. Remember also that if you want to compare to iRacing you require a monthly fee for PS Plus, so the cost difference isn't really as big as you make out.

Sim racing is a perfectly affordable hobby compared to most other real life hobbies, and if you want to be serious about racing online then iRacing is a solid option. It's far from the only one, but it's easy and well established.

Even though I skipped the PS4, GT Sport has been the only GT that I have no interest in. When I got my PS5 I bought Drive Club, AC , PC2 and Need for Speed Heat but I have never thought about Sport. I race online occasionally but mainly I prefer offline play. I'm hoping career mode is done well i GT 7

Shenfrey´s threads on ForzaPlanet.net:

• Once Forza gets a used car dealership, it will be an 11/10 game.
  • Really happy about Forza´s above 500 car roster.
  • I love Forza´s carreer mode.

I quite don't quite understand why you wouldn't want a proper career mode. The only reason why the majority of us complained about GT League was because of it's poor quality and implementation.
Other than nostalgia, what do you think puts GT's previous careers ahead of GT League? As they too are picking events from lists.

Back