• Thread starter Joey D
  • 27 comments

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
i think nintendo need to put more into the gamecube. It doesn't compare to the PS2 or Xbox. I think nintendo could have done a better job. I disappointed because N64 was so good. :nervous:

playstation has always been the best b/c the popularity and amount of games for the system. I really wanna see a game system that uses mini disc's rather than a CD. Much more efficent.

Well, if you are talking about Raw power, it's the PS2 that's going to come up short. And from what I am seeing, the Xbox has quite a nice US showing, but no other country has embraced it yet (And very few people will continue to develop for a system that has a lower installed base)
The Gamecube is Number 2 worldwide, and as an owner of all 3, it is the system that I am keeping a close watch on.
The gamecube will have many of the ports of the games from other systems (probably last in the order) but it will have them most, and the best first party games out there. (Square is the best, but they only release 1 or 2 a year)
Between Star Wars, Resident Evil (Best looking game graphics on any system... Ever.), Pikmin, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Monkey Ball (Great game, which gets no recognition.) I have a full plate with my Cube.
Soon I'll be adding Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Tales of Phantasia, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Kirby, MarioKart, and hopefully the Mother series (Earthbound) And all of those are must haves.
For My Xbox.... Well, I like Rallisport, but it doesn't have the longevity (and is way hard) to be a Must have.
On the PS2... GT3, FFX, Tekken, Time Crisis 2 are the only must haves I can think of. (GTA3 is coming for PC and Xbox so it doesn't count as exclusive)

The GC might not get as many games as some of the other systems, but there are so many more good games to be had on the system thanks to Nintendo's Standards of Quality.

My only actualy complaint about the GC is that the Memory card is too small. (both physically, and the fact it only holds 4 megs - but it is cheaper)

Originally posted by streetracer780
i think nintendo need to put more into the gamecube. It doesn't compare to the PS2 or Xbox. I think nintendo could have done a better job. I disappointed because N64 was so good. :nervous:

N64...good?

:lol:

j/k, it had a few good games...

Say, if you don't want your GC anymore, donate it to me so I can play Resident Evil... :D

Originally posted by viper_maniac

:reallyodd

Nintendo Rarely puts out a game that isn't top notch, and they are quite strict with 3rd party developers on quality control. (Several announced weren't allowed out on the N64 because they didn't measure up... ) toward the end, there was so little software available that pretty much anything that was made ended up being released though.

Ya, I still haven't broken down and bought the GC yet. I've got to buy a new receiver for the surround sound (the one I've got doesn't have S-Video switching or more than 1 optical input) and *then* I've got to sell my gf on the idea. lol - she's already tired of all the consoles spread out across the living room. :D

GC sucks man, why the hell did nintendo have to build a machine which did not have to be built in the first place, its unoriginal, PS2 was the first in its class of console and nintendo have a crap way of making the most of a console, playstation get every once of power out of the console and put it into games.
PS2 ROCKS!!!

well, from what i saw of the X-box when i played it, it did not really look as good or play as good as the gamecube, but thats just MY opinion NOT yours OK. Sure maybe in reality the X-box is better than the gamecube but thats what i think.
but i said it before and i will say it again PS2 ROCKS!!!

Ya your intitled to your opinions so I'll let you have them and respect them.

My main concern with the GC is that once again Nintendo have gone down the proprietory software format again - I'd have thought after the N64 they'd have learnt their lesson.

Doubtless they'll sell enough Mario games to make a profit...

Originally posted by vat_man
My main concern with the GC is that once again Nintendo have gone down the proprietory software format again - I'd have thought after the N64 they'd have learnt their lesson.

I thought of that too, but I think it was a wise decision in the end. It's mini DVD (1.5 Gigs of storage space available, Resident Evil is 2 discs so at least we know they don't feel the need to force developers to stick to 1)
After the Dreamcast Piracy debacle, I think all companies in the console market are a bit wary of future piracy. The PS2 is heavily under fire as it is, and the Xbox' piracy has just begun to get off the ground. (When DVD-R's become more widely available, expect this to take off)
With the GC, as far as I've seen, no company makes mini dvd-r's and mini CDR's only hold 185 megs. This fairly effectively kills piracy from a media standpoint let alone the other tricks they've squeezed in. (And they have some pretty ingenious methods.)
Piracy killed Sega, and could kill Nintendo (although they are in a stronger market position than most people think.)
The N64 was definitely a mistake (and a half) but that was only because of the cartridges. If the N64 was a Cd based system, Nintendo never would have lost the ground that they did. (Nor would they have lost Squaresoft which is truly how the console wars are won.)

Well, according to industry rumour, Nintendo actually make a quite tidy little profit on each Gamecube sold, so although they're not selling up a storm (although they're doing very well in Japan) Nintendo are travelling along very nicely, thank you very much (unlike a certain software developer - remember, more volume is bad when you're losing money on each unit!).

Originally posted by vat_man

The N64's difficulty was the cartridge format itself. The cartridge didn't have the storage capacity needed to take advantage of next-gen hardware (not that the N64's was great) plus cartridges are more expensive to produce...much more expensive. As a result, very few developers were willing to take the plunge. That, and Nintendo's licensing fees were astronomical compared to Sony's. Sony's best business decision to date (PlayStation wise, anyway) is the sliding scale license fee that allows smaller developers to make PS1/2 games - thus seriously broadening the PS software base.

Originally posted by risingson77

The N64's difficulty was the cartridge format itself. The cartridge didn't have the storage capacity needed to take advantage of next-gen hardware (not that the N64's was great) plus cartridges are more expensive to produce...much more expensive. As a result, very few developers were willing to take the plunge. That, and Nintendo's licensing fees were astronomical compared to Sony's. Sony's best business decision to date (PlayStation wise, anyway) is the sliding scale license fee that allows smaller developers to make PS1/2 games - thus seriously broadening the PS software base.

Actually, this is how Nintendo got the Nickname The Big 'N'
Nintendo charged about 20 for SNES carts, and 24 for N64 carts (the NES was up there too, but I don't know how much) Any company that wanted to make a Nintendo game automatically had to pay 20-24 dollars for each cartridge and try to make a profit on top of that. (Nintendo has been notorious in the past for bullying it's way through the market) It wasn't a big deal in the NES and SNES days because there were tens of millions of consoles and the games sold like wildfire. On the N64 the sales on both sides were much smaller.
All of this leads up to nearly 1 billion in Cash in Nintendo's 'warchest' While Sony and MS have far more than that, neither can devote that kind of resource to a single division as Nintendo can (as they are basically only one department anyway)

Im not an extreme fan of the GC yet. I have one, but it will still be a year or 2 until they start putting out games that can more fully utilize its capabilities. PS2 has....for the most part, reached its point of gaming evolution. The games themselves can grow and such, but only with more discs. It has reached the point to where people are really sure of what it can attain, and are easily reaching that point. The XBOX and GC still have a ways to go in that department. I dont like the XBOX at all. It lags. I have played it lagging multiple times. If its doing that a bunch on first generation games, which i have watched and experienced, then its going to do that more often when games tax more of its resources. Never.......not once......has the GC ever slowed down even slightly. It has impressed me. It still has a way to go, but some really cool games are coming out soon for it that will put it a lil more in the running. Eternal Darkness just came out which is supposed to be really good. Legend of Zelda. Mario Sunshine. Resident Evil Zero. And of course, the long anticipated......Metroid Prime. *drool*

Back