I got another one!!!

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 12 comments
Well, after te events of my last Xbox thread I felt compelled to return my tainted console and exchange it for another, virgin unit. ;) :P
Anyway, I bought Project Gotham and boy is that game great. :eek: I wasn't particularly impressed with the system until I played that game.
I'ts basically the Ultimate "arcade" racing game as it stands. I say "arcade" because I don't feel that it stacks up to GT series games in terms of depth (tuning etc) and sheer number of cars (although there are alot.) The physics model is also not as true to life as GT3's in some cases (but there are other cases where it is even better)
Let's start off with look. It's awsome, plain and simple. The cars are amazing looking and even have drivers inside that you can see shifting and handbraking through the rear window. (no dash view still :( ) They even lean in the turns (I've seen this in PC games.) There IS a damage model, and it is as good as can be. It deforms the panels, leaves long scrapes in the paint on the sides when you scrape, breaks off (sometimes leaves hanging by the wires) the side mirrors. The lights can shatter when you hit as well. (don't race at night with no headlights in some areas.) All the other cars suffer from damage as well.
The races are time sensative (as they were in the Dreamcast version) which means that depending on what time of day you are racing at (and in the country as it's time relates to yours) shows in the effects. Morning Fog and dew on the cars and road is my favorite.
As far as the gameplay goes, it is really good. I like the physics model on the DC version (called Metropolis street racer) a bit more though. All the cars handle as you would expect, and the differences in the models is very apparent as soon as you accelerate and hit the first turn wrong. ;) When you race, you earn "Kudos" which are basically style points. You get points for powersliding through turns as you did in MSR for the DC. But this one brings it up a notch for hardcore players. (in MSR you could spend a racing spinning all over, lose and still get tons of Kudos and pass the race anway.) When you take turns at high speed, or make a particulary good counter, or pass another car you are rewarded even more than you would with just a tailslide. You are also penalized when you hit the wall (yes, if you are a wall basher you will end up with a negative score, taking away from your overall score in the game) You also cannot use one of my best friend's favorite techniques which is to aim for the side of another car when going into a turn and knocking him out while giving yourself a better angle. That will lose you a ton of Kudos. :P
Now let's move on to the music. This is the part of the game that is absolutely amazing. There are 3 music settings in the game. CD, Radio and user radio. So far I have only explored the CD aspect of the music, as it has 65 songs to choose from. I was originally going to post the full list of bands and the songs they sing, but this is already a really long post. Here are the band name Highlights (as I see it.) David Lee roth has two songs, Eve 6, gear whore, gorrillaz, Iggy Pop, Junior Sanchez, Kitty, LA Guns, LA symphony, Polecat, Saliva, Sir-mix-alot, spacehog, Chimical Brothers, and switched just to name a few.
If you buy an Xbox, buy this game. It's even better than the reviewers say it is. (Especially if you love a good racer as I do.) :thumbsup:

That game sounds great:eek: Xbox is also starting to sound awesome, although I don't think I'll get one:( Thanks for the review on this game, and keep them coming as soon as you get a new game;)

Thank you for the review Tom. (sorry about your old thread) I have seen the commercials and the game does not look that god but the way you said it makes it sound great. I will more than likely get an X-Box from my mother for christmas. I really would like an X-Box considering it is made by Microsoft. :eek:

Originally posted by ViperConcept
Thank you for the review Tom. (sorry about your old thread) I have seen the commercials and the game does not look that god but the way you said it makes it sound great. I will more than likely get an X-Box from my mother for christmas. I really would like an X-Box considering it is made by Microsoft. :eek:

I noticed that too. The DC game looks better in real life than those commercials did, so I figured that the Xbox had to be waaaay better than those. I was worried about posting screenshots because they didn't reall do it justice either, but here are a few (just to see what I'm talking about.) (BTW, don't worry about the other thread.) ;)
sim-projectgothamracing-0023.jpg

sim-projectgothamracing-0026.jpg

sim-projectgothamracing-0024.jpg

If those are not good screenshots I do not know what is! :eek: That game looks pretty insane Tom. I hope you enjoy it for a long time. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ViperConcept
If those are not good screenshots I do not know what is! :eek: That game looks pretty insane Tom. I hope you enjoy it for a long time. :thumbsup:

Hey, that's a good point. What kind of longevity does it look like it will have? I've been playing GT3 for over two months ... BY MY SELF ... and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Every time I accomplish something, I open up more things to do. Does Project Gotham look like it will have 'staying power', or will it go to the shelf to gather dust after a few weeks?

By the way, have you played Halo yet? I played it last night, but my experience may be scewed a bit. I was in a true "home theator room". The guy has a ceiling mounted projecter with a 150"+ screen, three black leather 'rumble' couches (bass coils mounted to the wood frame), and full wrap around soround sound. Halo was freaking amazing, but I can't stand first person shooters with a game pad. If/When it comes out on computer, I'm going to be all over that game. Give me a mouse and I'll blow any alien away! The visuals are outstanding, the game play was incredible (for a gamepad), the story was building (only played 3 stages), and weapons and vehicles were BAD ASS, though the truck was very hard to drive with the controller.

Dead or Alive 3 looked good, but I didn't get a chance to play that.

~LoudMusic

Halo is cool. I played 2 player coop till the wee hours of the morning on wednesday night. G-pad FPS games are a pain though. Theres only one config that ever works for me.
That a sweet setup to play it on as well. :eek: ;) :)
Gotham will probably take a few weeks to finish. It's not as deep as GT3, but getting all golds (only way to unlock most cars) will keep me busy.
It has endurance races, but I can't acess those yet so I'll let you know on the true length. :)

Back