I got one!!!

• Thread starter Jon
  • 28 comments

Jon

(Banned)
I got a Gamecube. I haven't played that long on it yet but I have some comments.

Pros
-I like how the system is smaller
-I like how the disc are small
-The games have good game play and the graphics are realistic

Cons
I dont like the feel of the controller
I think it is slower than PS2.

Great job Tazz. I want a Gamecube for Christmas and my dad will more than likely get it for me. I want a ton of PS2 games as well.
Which color do you have Tazz? Blue or Black Gamecube?

Congratulations, Tazz! :D What games did you buy with it? Does it come with a demo disc?

Right on man! Any Mario games with the cube? How do you like? Glad you got one?

Tell all, tell all.....

Originally posted by Jordan
What games did you buy with it? Does it come with a demo disc?

I got Lugi's Mansion. It's a pretty good game. I like it. I also like how the memory cards are cheap.

Pako I am getting Super Smash Brothers game but so far only Lugi.

It's actually not my gamecube but its in the family. My brother got it because he is getting surgery tomorrow.

I'll add some cons you forgot(not to be negative, of course):

NO DVD capibility

Smaller Dics = smaller games, the GC DVD disc holds half that of a PS2 DVD disc

And some Pros:
More Power, Less money!

Have you seen Star Wars, that game looks amazing. The Cube has the best texturing capabilities of all three consoles from what I understand. It must look every bit as good as the commercial. :D

I have seen Zelda screenshots and it looks 2d! It's like the 64version has better graphics than the screenshots I saw of Zelda for the cube.

Originally posted by BMW///M3
I'll add some cons you forgot(not to be negative, of course):

NO DVD capibility

Smaller Dics = smaller games, the GC DVD disc holds half that of a PS2 DVD disc

And some Pros:
More Power, Less money!

Smaller games? You actually think game content can fill a standard CD anyway? It's the damn cut scenes and movies that take up all the space. I would guess GT3's game code isn't more than 300mb, including cars and tracks. It's the movies that take up so much space, and I bet even then there isn't more than 1gb of total data on the DVD.

"Oh, bigger is better, smaller won't work" ... nooo... that's what marketing does to you. Don't let them tell you how it is, you should tell them how it's supposed to be.

The "3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology" hold aproximately 1.5GB of data. That's roughly two CDs, actually two and a half. With Nintendo's ability to pack a LOT of game into a very small storage space (see: Super Marios Brothers 3, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Yoshi's World, etc etc ... ), I don't think there will be any problems with ONLY 1.5 gigabytes.

Here's an example of a Gamecube game that'll rock your world. And it's ONLY on a 1.5GB disk ...

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rogueleader

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Smaller games? You actually think game content can fill a standard CD anyway? It's the damn cut scenes and movies that take up all the space. I would guess GT3's game code isn't more than 300mb, including cars and tracks. It's the movies that take up so much space, and I bet even then there isn't more than 1gb of total data on the DVD.

"Oh, bigger is better, smaller won't work" ... nooo... that's what marketing does to you. Don't let them tell you how it is, you should tell them how it's supposed to be.

The "3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology" hold aproximately 1.5GB of data. That's roughly two CDs, actually two and a half. With Nintendo's ability to pack a LOT of game into a very small storage space (see: Super Marios Brothers 3, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Yoshi's World, etc etc ... ), I don't think there will be any problems with ONLY 1.5 gigabytes.

Here's an example of a Gamecube game that'll rock your world. And it's ONLY on a 1.5GB disk ...

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rogueleader

~LoudMusic

Smaller games isn't even a thought at this point, because they can just make multi disc games until the cows come home. (I posted that somewhere else too. Hmmmm....) ;)
As for the size of GT3, it is quite a bit bigger than you think. I just looked up the Ripped versions and the DVD version wieghs in at 3.3 gigs compressed. (could be the same uncompressed) The ripped version ripped all night textures for the cars, movies (a few were left, but downsampled heavily) half the audio was removed, and all that remained was downsampled (44khz -> 11khz) and forced into mono. and finally most of the engine sounds were removed and relinked to others left in.
I don't have a mod-chip, but this is what you can look forward to if you do. :P

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Smaller games isn't even a thought at this point, because they can just make multi disc games until the cows come home. (I posted that somewhere else too. Hmmmm....) ;)
As for the size of GT3, it is quite a bit bigger than you think. I just looked up the Ripped versions and the DVD version wieghs in at 3.3 gigs compressed. (could be the same uncompressed) The ripped version ripped all night textures for the cars, movies (a few were left, but downsampled heavily) half the audio was removed, and all that remained was downsampled (44khz -> 11khz) and forced into mono. and finally most of the engine sounds were removed and relinked to others left in.
I don't have a mod-chip, but this is what you can look forward to if you do. :P

Well holy crap. Sounds like they were doing some pretty sloppy programming then. Something like GT3 shouldn't take up that much storage space. There are so many ways to get games into smaller spaces, because it's vector based. All they have to store are vector points and the software that puts it together.

The sounds and videos are what will take up the majority of space. And with compression like we have today, mpeg3, jpeg, png, mpeg4, divx, those shouldn't take up too much space either. Oh well ... they probably started on it a couple years ago.

~LoudMusic

Well holy crap. Sounds like they were doing some pretty sloppy programming then. Something like GT3 shouldn't take up that much storage space. There are so many ways to get games into smaller spaces, because it's vector based. All they have to store are vector points and the software that puts it together.

The sounds and videos are what will take up the majority of space. And with compression like we have today, mpeg3, jpeg, png, mpeg4, divx, those shouldn't take up too much space either. Oh well ... they probably started on it a couple years ago.

~LoudMusic
The sound is most likely redbook audio, and the video is probably DVD standard which is mpeg2. (9.8 megabytes/sec max. Lets be really conservative and say the video in GT3 runs an average of 5 mb/sec * 60 seconds in a minute of video. That's 300 megs for one minute of really lousy video (most runs an average of 8 megs/sec)
I don't want to turn this into a flame war (or a personal attack because I've never seen you to be anything other than a good guy), but I'd have to say that what was programmed is anything but sloppy. It's pretty easy to criticize from the cheap seats, but you have to appreciate all that was done to make the product as good as it possible could be for the end user. (Me, you, and millions of others make three :) )
On a 300 mghz console, with only 32 megs of Ram it seems more realistic to keep the textures, and any other data uncompressed. If you were to compress the data, load time on the CDrom side would conceivably be shorter, but it would then have to uncompress all the textures (it has no texture compression capabilities like the Xbox or cube does) so that the game can access it on the fly. This would also take away from the ram; as part of it would have to be used for the decompression process. Even optimizing it in this fashion would never fully take advantage of it. And it would also eat of tons of extra clock cycles while I sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the race to start.
Sloppy... No, probably not. As good as it can possible be with the current SDK by Sony? Probably.
But that's just what I think IMHO. :)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

The sound is most likely redbook audio, and the video is probably DVD standard which is mpeg2. (9.8 megabytes/sec max. Lets be really conservative and say the video in GT3 runs an average of 5 mb/sec * 60 seconds in a minute of video. That's 300 megs for one minute of really lousy video (most runs an average of 8 megs/sec)
I don't want to turn this into a flame war (or a personal attack because I've never seen you to be anything other than a good guy), but I'd have to say that what was programmed is anything but sloppy. It's pretty easy to criticize from the cheap seats, but you have to appreciate all that was done to make the product as good as it possible could be for the end user. (Me, you, and millions of others make three :) )
On a 300 mghz console, with only 32 megs of Ram it seems more realistic to keep the textures, and any other data uncompressed. If you were to compress the data, load time on the CDrom side would conceivably be shorter, but it would then have to uncompress all the textures (it has no texture compression capabilities like the Xbox or cube does) so that the game can access it on the fly. This would also take away from the ram; as part of it would have to be used for the decompression process. Even optimizing it in this fashion would never fully take advantage of it. And it would also eat of tons of extra clock cycles while I sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the race to start.
Sloppy... No, probably not. As good as it can possible be with the current SDK by Sony? Probably.
But that's just what I think IMHO. :)

Many points, well taken. I was unaware that the PS2 didn't have compression/decompression capabilities in built into the hardware. So yes, uncompressed data would make a lot of sense. A friend of mine and I were talking about things like compression hardware and encryption hardware. If computers had a chip on the motherboard, or possibly a PCI card, that did nothing but compress/decompress and encode/decode data, we would see an enormous increase in the appearance of processor speed. Video cards that decode DVD (hardware decompression) make movies play so much smoother on computers, and you can still click around in the OS without making the movie skip. The same goes for playing mp3s. Before I had an Mp3 equipped sound card, my processor ran about 25% usage while I was playing mp3s. Now the processor just sends the task to the card, and the CPU usuage drops back to 0%. So the choice is between bigger storage devices for uncompressed data, or more little cards and chips to process the compressed data.

So, you are correct. I feel informed (: But with the GameCube's compression/decompression capabilities, couldn't games could fit into smaller amounts of storage?

~LoudMusic

Oh, and my original point of viewing this thread before I made an ass of myself ... was to point out that Rogue Squadron II[/i] looks BAD ASS!

(:

~LoudMusic

Many points, well taken. I was unaware that the PS2 didn't have compression/decompression capabilities in built into the hardware. So yes, uncompressed data would make a lot of sense. A friend of mine and I were talking about things like compression hardware and encryption hardware. If computers had a chip on the motherboard, or possibly a PCI card, that did nothing but compress/decompress and encode/decode data, we would see an enormous increase in the appearance of processor speed. Video cards that decode DVD (hardware decompression) make movies play so much smoother on computers, and you can still click around in the OS without making the movie skip. The same goes for playing mp3s. Before I had an Mp3 equipped sound card, my processor ran about 25% usage while I was playing mp3s. Now the processor just sends the task to the card, and the CPU usuage drops back to 0%. So the choice is between bigger storage devices for uncompressed data, or more little cards and chips to process the compressed data.

So, you are correct. I feel informed (: But with the GameCube's compression/decompression capabilities, couldn't games could fit into smaller amounts of storage?

~LoudMusic

I never knew that about the cound cards. I had seen the SBlive X-gamer, 5.1 (mine) and MP3+ versions, but didn't really know what the MP3 meant. (actually I assumed it was bundled with that Lava software creative was trying to launch a year or so ago)
I'm not exactly sure how S3's texture compression system works other than that it has a 6:1 standard that allows for flawless quality, and a much higher ratio with lots of degredation. I'd guess that they can load them into the ram under the same standard that is used by the hardware, but I'm not really sure if that is the case. I'm excited to see this game in action, and compare it to my own experience with my Xbox. From what I understand the Cube has the best texturing capabilities of all of the consoles. Partly due to design, and partly due to chip layout. (the buffer is located closer than the Xbox's is, allowing for faster data transfers, and more bandwidth)

Oh and, yes those pictures are pretty crazy. :eek: (and let me thank Lucas for not forcing another lousy Ep1 game on us. :P) Bring on the Clones!!! ;)

Heres my proof...

Attachments

• gamecube.jpg
    gamecube.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 36
Originally posted by Tazz575
Heres my proof...

You could have found that on the internet (: It's rather difficult to give undeniable proof of something on the `Net.

But, I believe you anyway (:

Like this for example. "Dude, my parents got me a VIPER! Yeah, it's a few years old, but it's a VIPER!!!"

~LoudMusic

Attachments

• my_viper.jpg
    my_viper.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 38
Ok but I can name everything on that pic....

Heh heh, so can I (: It's not like anyone else would know if we're right or wrong ...

What games did you get? Rogue Squadron and the new Mario Kart (don't know the real name) are the top two on my list if/when I get a GameCube.

~LoudMusic

Heh heh, so can I (: It's not like anyone else would know if we're right or wrong ...

What games did you get? Rogue Squadron and the new Mario Kart (don't know the real name) are the top two on my list if/when I get a GameCube.

~LoudMusic

Super Smash Bros....Lugis mansion and I might get NFL Fever.

Hey man, what's the latest on the GameCube? Still playing it a bunch? Have you gotten any super cool multiplayer games? That's what everyone is wanting on PS2, but it seems like there just aren't any "sit down with a group of newbie friends and play" type games for PS2 like there are for XBox.

~LoudMusic

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Yes I play it a bunch and I enjoy Super Smash Brothers.

Is that the 'new Mario Cart' type game? Mario Cart was one of the best games EVER. It had that easy gameplay quality, but still had lots of control and option. It would be awesome as a four player game on the GameCube.

~LoudMusic

Is that the 'new Mario Cart' type game? Mario Cart was one of the best games EVER. It had that easy gameplay quality, but still had lots of control and option. It would be awesome as a four player game on the GameCube.

~LoudMusic

No, super smah bros. is a fighting game. Pretty cool with 4 players.

I agree with The Mario Cart on the GC, that would be awesome! :)

Back