I Just Can't Drift In GT4

I keep on trying to drift in Gt4 but i can't. Gt3 is no problem, but in this game it's damn hard :ouch: . Do you guyz have any tips on drifting in GT4? It would be much appreciated. :)

Simulation tires, I know thats the first problem I was having anyway, you have to practice more, the tire system is geared more for real life; meaning the tire will want to grip as a tire should.

yes lots of practice a good car setup doesnt hurt but it isn't needed try a stock s13 silvia on n1 tires with now aids and a 2 way lsd

yeah what vtec said...this is slightly off topic but Ueo, a famed ae86 drifter from japan's D1 Grand Prix had an article in Modified Mag (january 06 issue) about how formula D has people dumping tens of thousands of dollars into their machines and spending countless hours tuning them...while helpful, these assets are nothing compared to the technique required to supplement that stuff. just go with something simple and learn. with this in mind u will be able to drift any fr and most 4wd and possibly some of the ff's.

Keichii "drift king" Tsuchiya - "you dont need a real expensive setup to get going, just GET OUT THERE and start yanking the ebrake"

Heres a few cars in GT4 that are great to learn to drift with IMO:

Mazda RX7 Type R '92

Toyota MR2 (1986-1997)

Ruf Yellowbird

Ruf BTR 1986

Just leave them stock, turn off teh aids, and get sideways :)

Remember, practice makes perfect. 👍

hideyourface
I hate when people say practice when the person might not know the technique. When I started I thought you ebraked and used the gas through the whole turn and nothing else.

Exactly. "Practice practice practice!" Practice just what, really? I needed the help of the Drift Bible to get my drifting down pat. I didn't even bother to ask.

Practice is the best advice in SOME situations unless you can sit right next to them while they play and watch for their mistakes.

He said he can get to the apex fine, which means he's got the initiation down, and getting the car to stay sideways until the exit requires practice.

Even as a novice, I've found this pretty easy to get going (my problem is keeping it straight at high speed on a straight when a slide happens - it just snaps one way and the other - bloody annoying.)

The gymkhana is good place to experiment with drifting with nothing to hit.

FWIW, my suggestions to start:

Get (probably) any FR car (if you can't drift an M5 something's wrong)

Turn off driver aids

Replace "sports tyres" with "N" tyres.

(That's all I've done)

Approach corner at normal speed, release throttle, turn in slightly early. Soon as car starts to go sideways apply throttle and turn into skid. You need to balance the steering direction with the throttle. But general principle is more throttle, the more the tail drifts around, and you should look ahead and steer in the direction you want the car to progress. If you get it right, the %&^$* snap oversteer will be minimal and the car just continues smoothly. Best hint is the steering where you want to go - that direction changes as you drift around a bend.

Does anyone have suggestions for that moment when you know a bad snap oversteer is coming? I find myself taking foot of gas and seems to reduce it sometimes.

Jimjams
Even as a novice, I've found this pretty easy to get going (my problem is keeping it straight at high speed on a straight when a slide happens - it just snaps one way and the other - bloody annoying.)

... ... ...

Does anyone have suggestions for that moment when you know a bad snap oversteer is coming? I find myself taking foot of gas and seems to reduce it sometimes.

decellerating a little bit helps, but only b/c you've given your steering work a little extra breathing space. perfecting your steering is really the answer. (cruddy, suggestion, I know - obviously that is the goal here)

I took a break from studying for a bit last night and tried drifting an Amuse Street S2000 on S3's (quite possible even under 300hp). The extra front end grip this car had made getting the steering correct at corner exit very difficult. I normally don't like to use settings to mask driver errors, but in this case I found it to be my only option.

Softening the stabilizers a few ticks didn't help the problem a whole lot for some reason so I tried giving the front a little bit of toe in (negative value) for stability. This definitely helped me. Trying to link the car was still a nightmare, but I did much less weaving as I came out of drifts.
My guess is that if I spent more time setting up the LSD and dampers I wouldn't have had this problem, but I was just in a hurry to drive it sideways and didn't want to bother myself with that at the time.

I don't know for certain if the effects of these suggestions will be as pronounced or helpful on other cars - but it might be worth a shot.

Barret Wallace
Exactly. "Practice practice practice!" Practice just what, really? I needed the help of the Drift Bible to get my drifting down pat. I didn't even bother to ask.

He hits the nail right on the head, All i can suggest is this.

Buy the r32 gts-t and practice linking the corners in AUTUMN MINI in both directions.
it worked for me now im drifting D1 style in the HKS D1 GP SILVIA S15.

With winter break on, I sat for almost 9 straight hours tunning my 240z and my sleighty.
I cannot count how many different times I changed settings and etc.
I think what really helped me was seeing how the changes I made affected the car. Sometimes just a tweak in one area meant the difference from me floating out of my drifts, or whipping sideways out of them. (Im no drift king, so the latter happens alot!! :ouch: )
I think taking the time to do this helps...then you can apply it to whatever car fits your liking or driving style.. 👍

I found out the 240Z is a GREAT GREAT drift car. It really is, I've got some settings but I realise I'M WAY too lazy to post them up......

Lol when I get my PC (wich will be right next to my PS2) I will post em up as it's just typing over whats on the screan next to me. If I would do it now, I would have to wright down the settings on a paper and type that in a post again, turning the PS2 on and off and my PC on and post.

That takes too long lol;)

Anyway settings do matter in learning how t drift like Fairlady said, gymkhana is a lovely course as said before, and trial and error is the thing you should begin with. Thats all....

You may think trial and error is boring cause you just want to drift but it's really fun learning drifting!

The car I first started drifting in was the 1961 Jaguar E-Type. This was a good car for me to practice my technique :D Just tune it up and turn all the driving aids off, And your good 💡

hmm, i think it's the change from GT3 to GT4. i still remember the first time i touched GT4 at Best Buys. the steering was all funny, and i wasn't feeling it at all. i mean, you would oversteer, then countersteer, then you would just spin out. the steering felt completely different, compared to GT3.

just keep on practicing and get comfortable. once you get that down, proceed to drifting.

The best way of starting how to drift is not to have a ridiculously powerful car. The only things you need to do is buy a suspension setup, stiffen the settings (and lower them), and power hiking mods set to a minimum. I set my power goal to around 280PS (276 BHP or so), and that is fine. My best car, an S14 Silvia K's, makes around 265PS, and I like the settings of it (I use standard road tyres all round. In real life, you don't use sports or racing tyres).

Jimjams
I release the throttle and counter steer just enough after that. Using softer spring rate and higher damper help remove snappy attitude.

Back