I might have a son in January and I want to name him

• Thread starter peterjford
  • 86 comments
First of all: Congratulations!!! :cheers:

What's your last name? You might want to give it a name that fits his last name.

But Ayrton is alright.

Congrats! I like the name choice. Bit early to tell though; do you know if its boy or girl?

We will know the sex by the end of August. My last name is Ford. My wife said no to 'Shelby Ford', I think she had a female rival named Shelby.

Congratulations! If you like Shelby, you could always go for Carrol/Carol. Ayrton is also a great name 👍

My wife said no to 'Shelby Ford', I think she had a female rival named Shelby.
That's an unusual name for a girl...

You could pick any one of a hundred Ford model names, so that when he appears in surname sorted lists it'd say:
Ford, Galaxie
Ford, Sierra
Ford, Mustang
Ford, Ka
Ford, XR2i
Ford, Prefect

Hmm, about that last one...

Or just go for a load of other manufacturer names... Dodge Toyota Lotus Ford.

Or just Henry Ford.

We will know the sex by the end of August. My last name is Ford. My wife said no to 'Shelby Ford', I think she had a female rival named Shelby.

What about Carroll? :P

What about them? Feel free to suggest some, like other people have been doing throughout the thread.

I'm not sure what about it requires a roll eyes smiley...

I don't have to suggest any names. As other people didn't. Right?

About the neutral names, I find some of them cool and the ideia as well. Why should I be mandated to suggest names? The OP doesn't say "post suggestions" but even if it did the link has some suggestions.

I used the roll eyes because I like the expression of the smiley, not because of the common meaning associated with it (yeap, some emoticons are misleading).

I don't have to suggest any names. As other people didn't. Right?
Most people have yes. Most of them have been gender neutral too.

All the other comments - all three of them - have been to congratulate or to comment on the name Ayrton.
About the neutral names, I find some of them cool and the ideia as well. Why should I be mandated to suggest names?
Rather than "What about a neutral name? :rolleyes:", how about suggesting the "some" names you find cool?
I used the roll eyes because I like the expression of the smiley, not because of the common meaning associated with it (yeap, some emoticons are misleading).
Great, only what it looks like your message is saying is that gender-oriented names are somehow deserving of being looked down on.

I'd suggest not using a roll eyes smiley if your message is not intended to convey that kind of tone and you wish it to be taken seriously. Here's the difference:

What about a neutral name? :rolleyes:
What about a neutral name?

@Famine So if the problem was the smile, it's OK. I got that point. I have no idea what lead you to think I was somehow looking down on or making fun of neutral names though. Never did it on GTP.

Also I didn't know there's a proper way of participating in this kind of threads - "congratulate or suggest names". If I had posted some suggestions and not the link, it could happen that peterjford wouldn't find it interesting. I can't really see the point in insisting I'd have done better suggestion names.

I don't want to turn this well intended thread into an off-topic irrelevant discussion so I'll leave at that.

I have no idea what lead you to think I was somehow looking down on or making fun of neutral names though. Never did it on GTP.
That's literally the opposite of what I said. What I said was that by putting a roll eyes smiley on the end of your post, you gave off the impression of looking down on gender-oriented names.

Your only contribution to the thread about someone giving their child a gender-oriented name looks like an unqualified suggestion that gender-oriented names are somehow inferior. That's not a "proper way of participating" in any thread.

@Famine well, looking down on gender-oriented name makes even less sense to me as I don't know anyone (and I don't think there are neutral names in my country/laguage) with a neutral name. And it's precisely because it's not a familiar concept to me (my culture and country) that I find neutral names interesting.

That's your interpretation of my contribution based on the smiley I guess. I already explained that I didn't use the emoticon to convey a negative ideia but because I like its expression. You're just reading to much into it and seeing things that aren't there.

But I'd never say that any gender-oriented name is inferior to any other name. That's just stupid. Seriously.

ps: There are some names though - specially if you know brazilian people - that I'd never give to a child (and I'm not talking about Ayrton obviously). :D

You're just reading to much into it and seeing things that aren't there.
Except that it is there. It's there because you used an 'emoticon' - an icon used to convey emotion. In this case you chose to use an icon that conveys the emotion of boredom, exasperation or superciliousness.

Had you not, your comment would have been fine - if odd given that just about everyone else had been suggesting gender-neutral names.

Now you have removed it, so 👍

And I'm not using that because I like thumbs.

Congratulations 👍, it is OK as long as it is a boy. ;)

That's an unusual name for a girl...

You could pick any one of a hundred Ford model names, so that when he appears in surname sorted lists it'd say:
Ford, Galaxie
Ford, Sierra
Ford, Mustang
Ford, Ka
Ford, XR2i
Ford, Prefect

Hmm, about that last one...

Or just go for a load of other manufacturer names... Dodge Toyota Lotus Ford.

Or just Henry Ford.
Ford, Lincoln seems to work...

Or Henrietta / Harriet Ford if it's a girl.

Last edited:
Back