I played the GT HD demo today! Now with PICS!

Speedy Samurai

Speedium
Premium
Australia
Sydney
Gai-Gun
I walked into my local electronics store (Tsutaya, if you must know) and what was waiting for me on the PS3 display? Yes, the GT HD demo. I promptly grabbed a controller and chose a Lotus Elise 111R and had a go on that new rally track you all have seen.

The options included: Transmission; AT/MT, of which I chose MT. Aids; TCS on/off, of course I chose off. physics; normal/professional, I went with normal.

I found using the triggers to switch gears took a little getting used to because of how the triggers have changed on the PS3 controller. I couldn't really tell what kind of differences there were in the handling physics (I will hop onto GT4 and give it a spin, later) but at times it seemed my car starting slipping rather easily. The new course is pretty sweet with enough straights and hairpins to make it quite challenging.

The replays looked beautiful but there were some aliasing issues, mostly having to do with things far off in the background. Of course the car looked beautiful. The driver looked really good as well, and I was surprised and pleased by the animations of the spectators. The replay showed some good shots of spectators reacting to the approaching car.

I do wish the demo was longer, as it only let me race for 2 minutes and I completed my first lap at 1:40.xxx

Also, the sound was very low so I can't really comment on the engine noise.

It was pretty good, but in no way will it tide anyone over until GT5.

Neat, I didn't know they would still be releasing a demo in stores. I'll have to see if I can play it for myself at my local EB, to see if anything has actually changed on the physics front.

How were the background graphics, like the buildings, signs and other detailing? Can you see really far into the distance?

i'd love to try this thing out.....main reason: i'm getting a PS3 just for this pretty much :lol:

WOW, I'm seriously going out right now to my nearest Best Buy store. They have the PS3 demos in there for you to try out. It's less than a mile away...

I'll be back.

Ciao!

I just got back from best buy and the EB games store....

NOT. HERE. YET. :grumpy: , I was so pissed 'cause I had to wait so long for a pair of kids who wouldn't stop playing MotorStorm. :rolleyes:
I wanted to shoot one of them in the head btw.

Ciao!

ЯebЯum!;2506615
isn't that illegal?

Only in States were it's illegal to marry your own sister :sly:

speedy_samurai - When you next get a chance to have another play, take a few camera phone photos would you. It would be great to see some real life photos of a new GT title (of sorts) running on a PS3. As if you don't mind, ask the shop if they would turn up the audio so you can assess the engine sounds.

I think watching the high res demo videos released by PD would clue you in on everything but the feel of the car.

Sometimes I wonder how realistic the game can possibly get considering you are only using a handheld controller, or at best a wheel-controller.

Only in States were it's illegal to marry your own sister :sly:

speedy_samurai - When you next get a chance to have another play, take a few camera phone photos would you. It would be great to see some real life photos of a new GT title (of sorts) running on a PS3. As if you don't mind, ask the shop if they would turn up the audio so you can assess the engine sounds.

:lol:

Yeah it would be cool if you could get some pictures.... some GTPlanet exclusive coverage!

Walked back in the store this time and the machine was actually available. Here are my pics in all their 'shot-from-the-hip-with-cellphone' glory;

I guess this is the 10 cars and 1 course that will be available for download. It does look really nice and I enjoyed playing it on professional mode. But it will soon grow old quickly.

Nice shots there mr samurai - how many cars were there to choose from? - 3 of them appear to be variations on the Mitsi Evo theme.

speedy_samurai
p506ic0052560333fs9.jpg
Even George Bush is in the game.

Thanks for the pics and impressions, speedy. 👍

Nice shots there mr samurai - how many cars were there to choose from?
The kiosk demo is a refined version of the one available at TGS 2006 (it had noticeable slowdowns and random graphical glitches). The car list as per the demo is as follows:

• Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA) ‘89
  • Nissan Skyline GT–R V–spec II (R32) ‘94
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR ‘96
  • Honda Integra Type–R (DC5) ‘04
  • Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec–C Type–RA ‘05
  • Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) ‘95
  • Toyota Celica GT–Four Rally Car (ST205) ‘95
  • Subaru Impreza Rally Car ‘99
  • Lotus Elise 111R ‘04
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR ‘05

I have a feeling the demo available from the PLAYSTATION Store will be different to this one. Yamauchi’s message states that there will be one track with two variations/layouts—as an example in the past, Grand Valley Speedway with Grand Valley East. The Eiger Nordwand doesn’t appear to offer this flexibility, hopefully PD alter the car line–up rather than recycle it….

That's... impressive.
Yeah, but pics taken from a screen TV tend to look more realistic than they are. I remember that from some early GT4 pics and videos filmed from a screen and it looked more realistic than the game actually was.

But that's still pretty good.

Back