I sincerely hope that Gran Turismo 7's physics aren't carried over from GT Sport.

• Thread starter DefNotJake
  • 63 comments
Indeed, but as my previous post pointed out, the pace at which PD do this is glacial in comparison to the norm in the genre.

Where PD once lead the console market for simulation titles (PS1 to mid PS2), they have slipped further and further behind. Now the real question is do they actually want to improve it beyond the level they have reached, or are they happy with the niche they have carved and dominate in terms of sales.
I think that could change, as I recall that PD did some notable expansion to their offices in the last few years. Then there's the fact they've been outsourcing vehicle modeling.

I think that could change, as I recall that PD did some notable expansion to their offices in the last few years. Then there's the fact they've been outsourcing vehicle modeling.
It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Not that outsourcing vehicle modeling would make a difference, as it would be a different team of people working on the physics.

GT Sport physics have some good parts, they should keep those and try to fix the issues. The braking department I think is one of them.
Also I'm a wheel player but I know controller players are not happy at all with GTS so they should improve that too
They certainly should, but I would have to disagree that braking is a good part of GTS' physics engine (if that's what you are saying - I'm not sure).

I'd also have to say that in my view (as a wheel player as well) that GTS is better suited to a controller than a wheel. It's FFB leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. Not that outsourcing vehicle modeling would make a difference, as it would be a different team of people working on the physics.

I know it's a different team doing the modeling vs. the physics, but it could be indicative of broader changes at PD. I also have no idea WTF is up with the Aston Martin Vulcan's brakes in GT Sport, they're some of the worst in the game. I really doubt they're like that on the actual car in real life.

Last edited:
I know it's a different team doing the modeling vs. the physics, but it could be indicative of broader changes at PD. I also have no idea WTF is up with the Aston Martin Vulcan's brakes in GT Sport, they're some of the worst in the game. I really doubt they're like that on the actual car in real life.
I suspect its not just the brakes, but also the tyre model that make up that issue.

I play GT with a controller, mostly for fun with street legal cars and the awesome aesthetics from PD. I have a full simrig and for handling feel (with my equipment and settings) I favor iRacing and RF2. I have done multiple driving/racing schools and track days.

Initially back when the demo came out I did not like the GTS feel with a controller. I waited some months to buy it as a result... but eventually did and discovered that with a little getting used to, the controller feels quite good. Now, I do think that some cars' handling is modelled far better than others. But with a car like the new or older Alpine 110, as an example, it feels great for a controller. Much better than Forza 7, which I have also played a lot of. So when the car is done right, I think GTS feels great for a controller based, console exclusive driving sim. Would I like to have improvements? Of course. But mostly, fix some of the cars to be more accurate first. Then give us better AI etc.... because the core handling feels good to me depending on the car.

The OP posted a video of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. I have driven that car in real life and I can tell you it does not wallow. Yes, it is heavy and has a ton of torque but it also has a very stiff suspension and tons of grip. You can break the tires loose but it is fast in corners. PD got this car wrong, grip wise. The interior is modelled perfectly but the grip feel is not. It's one of many example that need some work. Add in fixing terminal understeer from most mid engine Ferraris and McLarens and the list could go on. But I have owned several cars in game and driven several others on track too and for what it is, a casual sim, GTS feels good.

Last edited:
In my honest opinion I'm perfectly fine with GT Sport's physics carrying over to GT7, more or less, but there is an added benefit of using the adaptive triggers to simulate the feel of an ABS which can give you greater control over the braking.

One thing that i've noticed playing GT5/6 recently is that the cars feel more "weighty" and lateral weight shifts are way more noticeable while on gts cars feel too light sometimes.
Also the ff cars are way more drivable on GT5/6 without the ultra super understeer that is present on GTS.
I hope they fix all these issues on GT7 and i also hope they add make the suspensions and tires a little more lively and "bouncy" since on GTS they are too flat

Last edited:
I hope the Michelin partnership brings big improvements to the tire physics. Forza Motorsport and Pirelli had the same kind of partnership a while back and it worked well from what I remember.

They also need to work in the brakes, I still think it’s silly that we can’t even adjust the brake pressure. If we were able to do this then maybe abs wouldn’t be so necessary.

One thing I hope to see at least remedied are the top speed physics - where some cars are unusually faster or slower than they usually are, like for example,

(400km/h stock on a Pagani Huayra or a LaFerrari, but 390km/h on a Bugatti Veyron 16.4, or on some others, 220mph on a Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray, but the McLaren F1 fails to reach its 240mph top speed).

Last edited:
I have not played GTS but I hated the tire modeling in GT5/6. As shown in that little clip above, the actual suspension modeling wasn't too bad, but driveability was hugely let down by the terrible traction physics and temperature model. The actual driving in GT4 was much better and more realistic than in the later games.

I've been playing GTS, AC, ACC, PC2 and PC3 back to back(Forza 7 is on a different tv). Same cars and tracks.

PD need to add connectivity to the road. The sensation I feel, is that the cars in GT are on 205 width tyres, while all the other cars are on proper width tyres. The car physics(dive, squat, suspension/roll) are fine. This goes beyond controller/wheel settings. There's a disconnect, in the details, with the road to tyre. Also, with the sensation of engine braking or lack of it. Maybe step up the wind resistance?
Anyway, I tested a race car, but PD have modelled a different feeling to high sidewall tyres on classic cars compared to low profile tyres on modern cars.

I'm not comparing this game does this better or ranking these games(if anything, I didn't believe it until I did them back to back, GTS and ACC are pretty damn close in terms of ease of play on controller). No negativity about that here. This is about the movement of the car. What we "feel" when driving it around. I'm not feeling the weight of the car or what it's doing underneath me, until it's probably too late. So to speak.

I honestly, now, don't think the GT physics will change. It's too easy for everyone. As in, the casual(majority) players really don't need to feel much more than the car turns when you steer it and the car brakes when you pull the trigger. It has to be. Especially, for players that never driven a car. I wonder how GT-GT4 would feel, using the DS4.
If PD want to go ahead and add more feeling with car behavior, I'm all for it. Is that what "Simulation Mode" could be about? More feeling? I don't know. However... Yeah, I'm convinced PD won't go any further than what is programmed in GT Sport.

This is going to be this gen's GT6 to GT Sport's GT5. I dont think they will change much and further, since they are so big on GT Sport being used in online and event, why would they change much given the global audience (and Olympics!) is used to the GT Sport model, with little complaint.

GT Sport's model works for most people (who arent here).

Main thing I notice between GTS and the other sims is you can be so ham-fisted with the throttle and brakes on GTS, it rarely upsets the car if you stamp on the throttle a bit too early, or brake while turning heavily. It's too easy to drive.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd be good if the cars were less understeer-y, if supercars had a bit more grip and if braking was better. Otherwise I have no issues with the physics.

One thing that i've noticed playing GT5/6 recently is that the cars feel more "weighty" and lateral weight shifts are way more noticeable while on gts cars feel too light sometimes.
Also the ff cars are way more drivable on GT5/6 without the ultra super understeer that is present on GTS.
I hope they fix all these issues on GT7 and i also hope they add make the suspensions and tires a little more lively and "bouncy" since on GTS they are too flat

This is the biggest problem with the physics; I'm not sure what's going on in the code, but the cars in GTS simply do not have suspensions composed of springs and dampers. They may have setup settings that pretend to be spring and damper rates but there's simply no way to set up a real Civic Type R to do what the car in your GTS clip does, whereas if you do a couple of laps in a GT3 car in ACC, you'll experience that longitudinal bouncing effect you see in the real video pretty clearly.

Main thing I notice between GTS and the other sims is you can be so ham-fisted with the throttle and brakes on GTS, it rarely upsets the car if you stamp on the throttle a bit too early, or brake while turning heavily. It's too easy to drive.
That's jjust not true @ the throttle, and the braking, if you use ABS, then it's normal.

If you drive a powerful RWD car without TC, you definitely need to be careful with the throttle.
But if you drive a FWD honda civic, then of course not
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
No, that's not how you're supposed to play the game! You can't mash the throttle and expect the car to corner every time.

It's a joy seeing that car bouncing around in Assetto Corsa...i know that there's little to no chance but it would e amazing to have a similar suspension/tire simulation also on GT7. If they are afraid that people wont play the game because of the difficulty (althought Assetto Corsa is playble also with a pad regardless the high simulation value) they can add some invisible driving aids when playing with a pad or make a Simulation Mode like in GT5P for who wants something more hardcore

Last edited:

It's a joy seeing that car bouncing around in Assetto Corsa...i know that there's little to no chance but it would e amazing to have a similar suspension/tire simulation also on GT7. If they are afraid that people wont play the game because of the difficulty (althought Assetto Corsa is playble also with a pad regardless the high simulation value) they can add some invisible driving aids when playing or make a Simulation Mode like in GT5P for who wants something more hardcore

What's ironic about that is, PD saw to put that suspension movement in the Gran Turismo 1 intro. It's brief, but check the Subaru SVX at 2:35. Just that rebound scene always got me. Still my favourite GT intro. :)

Last edited:
Reading about all this physics related stuff, I start to wonder if I'm ever going to be interested in getting GT7. My last GT was GT5 on the PS3.

If PD is going to bone us with a cross console game, I think the least they could do is give the PS5 owners (or the ones still willing to get a PS5), a true to life simulation mode with better physics (I.e. less forgiving) and waaaaaaaaaay better AI.

That alone would keep me loyal to PlayStation and not go down the PC route

Back