I wanna discuss homologation in GT Sport.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 71 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
First, I wanna discuss the classes in GT Sport thus far, and how cars from previous GT games could reprise their appearances as such:

-We know that Gr.4 & Gr.3 are respectively meant to resemble FIA GT4 & FIA GT3. And we also know that GT3 cars often race within the GT300 class in Super GT. So, for Gr.3, the following GT300 cars could be added:
Toyota Prius (and we've seen this one being scanned, too)
Honda CR-Z (the GT300-spec hasn't appeared in GT yet, but you never know...)
Mazda RX-7 FD
Autobacs Garaiya
Subaru BR-Z
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR-S
Lexus IS350
Subaru Impreza (2008 or 2003? Idk which is preferable - though I think the '08 version is more likely to appear.)
Nissan Silvia

Anyway, moving onto Gr.4, it seems like it'd be redundant to add the real-world GT4 cars that already have very similar in-game racers, like the BMW M4 or Aston Martin Vantage. But I do see an opportunity here for KTM to get a representative outside the N-series, as the X-Bow is an actual GT4 racer, as well. There's also the factor that Alpine could be represented in Gr.4 with the new A110 GT4.

-We also know that Gr.1 is associated with cars having 900kg and 1000HP, and only the word "prototype" was mentioned - there does not seem to be an explicit limitation to LMPs, so I wonder if Group C could fit into here? Or perhaps LMP2 racers, or even Daytona Prototypes? All of these would allow a variety of automakers already in-game to be represented in Gr.1, and this includes automakers that only have VGTs to represent them there at the moment. (Not that I mind, personally.) If we look back at cars from various sports prototype classes, we could see the return of the following cars in Gr.1:
Bentley Speed 8
Sauber-Mercedes C9
Toyota GT-One (TS020)
Toyota 88C-V
Peugeot 905
BMW V12 LMR
Mazda 787B
Jaguar XJR-9
Nissan R92CP
Nissan R89C
Audi R8 (2001, or 2005? I'd say the 2005 one has a higher likelihood.)
Audi R10 TDI

-Gr.B is said to resemble the original, real-world Group B rally, and seems to include historic Pikes Peak racers and modern cars interpreted as modern Group B rally cars. I also recall the figure of 500HP was mentioned. I think the WRC license is also out of PD's hands, which could explain the formation of this class, and uses made-for-game rally cars despite some cars in this class having real-world WRC cars. (E.g. the Ford Focus, Subaru WRX STI) As a result, I would imagine older real-world Group B rally cars would come here, including the Lancia 037 that's rumored. Perhaps the classic Escudo Pikes Peak could allow Suzuki to be here, too. But even if we did restrict ourselves to real-world Gr.B cars, the GT series has a few automakers that could appear in this group:
Peugeot 205 Turbo 16
Renault R5 Turbo Rallye
Ford RS200 Rally Car
Audi Quattro S1 Rally Car '86 (I know we already have the Pikes Peak car from the following year, but still....)

However, I do wonder if the more modern hillclimb cars in GT6 (see: Tajima E-Runner, Monster Sport SX4) would fit in here as well? I'd say they would.

-The newer Gr.2 class is known to include Super GT500 cars - but could older JGTC cars (in GT500) be included here, too? And what of DTM racers, especially since Super GT and DTM have been chatting with each other recently? My guess is that FIA GT1 would go here - the Aston Martin DBR9 and McLaren F1 GTR both competed in GT500. Which would likely mean that the following cars from older GT games would go in Gr.2:
Nissan R390 Race Car
Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Race Car
McLaren F1 GTR (GT6 1995 ver.)
BMW-McLaren F1 GTR Longtail
Panoz Esperante GTR-1

As well as the following GT500 racers:
Toyota Supra Mk.IV (Maybe the 1997 one? The 2000 one known for appearing in Gran Turismo 3? Or perhaps the more recent 2005 one that was the only time a Supra was in Super GT?)
Lexus SC430
Nissan GT-R R35 (2008, before either facelift)
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z33) (it was in GT500 for the 2006 season)
Nissan Skyline GT-R R34
Honda HSV010
Honda NSX (1st-gen, 2008)
Honda NSX (1st-gen, 2000)
Lamborghini Diablo GT-1

-I think that the fact that the F1500T is modeled on the classic Lotus F1 racer could have something to do with licensing, though I would really like it for the Senna cars to return in the future. (As well as a bunch of other cars "important to GT," and auto culture, including Andretti's Hudson, the two Leno cars, the SEMA C7 Corvette, the Toyota MTRC, the Nike One, etc...but that's another story!) I'm not sure if it's necessarily related to the licensing of Formula One cars, because the classic Lotus appeared in GT6 whereas the newer Ferrari F1 models from GT5 were out. I think it has more to do with Lotus itself, especially since pre-release screenshots of GTS featured a Lotus Evora in some shots, but the car does not appear in the game. Overall, I appreciate the F1500 as an older analogue to the Formula Gran Turismo, another car that I hope sees a return.

-What classes within GT Sport do you think these real-world classes be placed? Or, alternatively, would they require a new class to be formed altogether? The classes that came to my mind were GTE, and the SP8 class from the Nurburgring 24h. I do recall that GTE is more or less FIA GT2, but that just makes things even more interesting - should this mean something like the Corvette C7R go into Gr.3, or Gr.2, even though the latter is more akin to FIA GT1? I mention the SP8 class because the Lexus LF-A competed in there, and it appeared to look a lot like the Gr.4 cars already in GT Sport. And I wonder what ought to be done with the real-world Group A rally cars, as well? For example, the first-gen Ford Focus rally car, or the Lancia Delta HF? Maybe there's not as much need to include those last ones at all... And what about Australian V8 Supercars?

-I think the only reason why the Jaguar XJ13 and Ferrari 330 P4 were placed in Gr.X is because there isn't a plan to create a class for race cars that are that old. I do, however, get the idea that more cars could come to Gr.2, despite it being only represented with three cars at the moment.

-Finally, if we saw the return of some of the older-made for game touring cars - specifically including the GT5 touring car pack and the GT5 RMs - what classes do you think they'd be placed into? If you ask me, a lot of the cars (in both groups) look like they'd be more at home in Gr.4. I think this would be redundant for some automakers that already have that same model in Gr.4 - such as Mitsubishi and its Lancer Evo X - but I think it'd be neat to see the return of the Corvette C6 RM as a Gr.4 racer.

Some other notes:

-I think that not only should the option to enforce BoP come to creating custom races in lobbies and Arcade Mode, but also should be forced on for the GT League events that use the classes other than the N-series. So this would especially apply to the Gr.1 and Gr.3 endurance events, as well as the Gr.B event in the amateur league. The other thing I want to bring up in this regard, is that I think if an event has a certain N-series class that's recommended, there should be a corresponding enforced maximum power cap - this could be applied to the player and any AI vehicles. Some N-classes for some events could be slightly changed to continue allowing certain cars to compete, such as the Nissan GT-R Cup, and how the R35 cannot be de-tuned to the N-class recommended for that event.

-Finally, as a side note, I've noticed that in some events, when I go to the settings screen, the BoP drop-down menu gets an option, and it says something to the tune of "Road Course (setting enable)". Turning it on seems to just reduce power while not affecting the weight, but does anyone else know what this setting is overall referring to? Does it depend on the car, or track, or some other factor?

EDIT as of Update 1.19:
So with the addition of the Group C racers in Gr.1, we have confirmation that Gr.1 is not limited to newer LMP1 cars, but is indeed open to all sports prototypes. In which case, I think there's tons of potential! If every manufacturer in Gran Turismo 4/5/6 returns in GT7, there are tons of potential Gr.1 cars between the automakers:

-Group C:
Dome S103
TOM'S 86C
Lamborghini Countach QVX
Lancia LC2

-LMPs (note: includes WSC, LMP900, LMGTP, LMP1, and LMP2):
Ferrari 333SP
Ginetta G60-LT-P1
Lotus T128
Alpine A470
Honda ARX-04b
Lister Storm LMP
Chrysler LMP
Panoz LMP07
MG EX265C
Shelby LR-93
Mazda SDR-14 (which could supplement the 787B and the LM55 VGT)
Aston Martin AMR-One

-Daytona Prototypes:
Cadillac DPi-V.R
Acura ARX-05
Chevrolet Corvette (C7) DP
Nissan Onroak DPi (which I think would be a good way to show that the GT-R LM Nismo wasn't the last prototype Nissan ever worked with)

Next, I had a ton of ideas regarding Group B. We know that Group B is basically meant to be like the real-world Group B, with the newer models outfitted for the class just being there as "what-if" sort of models. But even if we just go by real Group B cars, there were a few cars that've appeared in the GT series I forgot about:

Mitsubishi Starion 4WD
Nissan 240RS
Lancia Delta S4

There's that, and there are automakers that did have a car in the real-world Group B, and these models could debut in the GT series within Gr.B:

Daihatsu
Porsche (Also, weren't there plans to have the 959 go into rally? Maybe PD could make a what-if version of the 959 rally car...)
Ferrari (There could be a what-if version of the 288 GTO.)
Subaru
Toyota (How about a what-if version of the 222D?)
Volkswagen
Mercedes-Benz
Citroen
BMW

Last edited:
I think hillclimb cars like the Monster Sport SX4 and the E-Runner would go better in Group 1 (Or more likely be dumped in Group X) simply based on their power. I do agree that GT1s could fit into Group 2. Perhaps the Toyota GT-One could be in both Group 1 (The '99) and Group 2 (The '98), mirroring how it was originally entered as a GT1 and then reentered as a prototype the following year. Modern GT300s in Group 3 just makes sense given that they run alongside GT3s in real life, while the older GT300s that actually have ~300 horsepower could be put in Group 4. I think Group C could be its own class but Group 1 could work too, but I think Daytona Prototypes and LMP2s should be put in their own class, perhaps a Group 1.5 of sorts. I'm not familiar with the SP8 class from the Nurburgring 24h but GTEs could be put in Group 3, given that we already have a GTE car there with the 911 RSR. Though if more GTEs were put in Group 3 the C7.R would be redundant given that we already have a fictional Group 3 Corvette, and it would be far too slow compared to the GT500s. V8 Supercars might fit in Group 2 but could also warrant their own class. As for the GT5 RM and DLC touring cars, I don't know.

Really impressive knowledge here I have to say.

Personally I would like to see a few more Gr.2 cars included from your list and one or two modern formula 1 cars as Gr.x.
I think GT5 and 6 were a bit overloaded with over 1000 cars.
200-300 is for my taste really enough as long as they are well simulated and representing the important groups from real world racing.

I think hillclimb cars like the Monster Sport SX4 and the E-Runner would go better in Group 1 (Or more likely be dumped in Group X) simply based on their power.
Keep in mind that BoP could help balance them. I'm not 100% sure if power alone should be the sole deciding factor for classes...

I do agree that GT1s could fit into Group 2. Perhaps the Toyota GT-One could be in both Group 1 (The '99) and Group 2 (The '98), mirroring how it was originally entered as a GT1 and then reentered as a prototype the following year.
I think they just should include one iteration of the TS020 if they're gonna include it at all, and I think the one that was in GTLMP is more popular.

Modern GT300s in Group 3 just makes sense given that they run alongside GT3s in real life, while the older GT300s that actually have ~300 horsepower could be put in Group 4.
But I'd say those cars have too many broader modifications to be in Gr.4 - and Gr.4 is meant for more subtle modifications, IIRC.

I think Group C could be its own class but Group 1 could work too, but I think Daytona Prototypes and LMP2s should be put in their own class, perhaps a Group 1.5 of sorts.
I don't really see why Group C cars and DPs couldn't just be in Gr.1 and have BoP be applied to them - but I agree that LMP2 may not be as clear-cut. Though I did hear that LMP2 cars were getting faster than the LMP1 cars lately...

I'm not familiar with the SP8 class from the Nurburgring 24h but GTEs could be put in Group 3, given that we already have a GTE car there with the 911 RSR.
Ah, I thought the RSR was a GT3 racer.

Though if more GTEs were put in Group 3 the C7.R would be redundant given that we already have a fictional Group 3 Corvette, and it would be far too slow compared to the GT500s.
Yeah. I'm not sure if there's much other way to have the C7 Corvette represented - though an older FIA GT1 C6 could fit into Gr.2... And I think if one wanted to take full advantage of GTE for potential Gr.3 cars, then in that case, I'd add the Ford GT (2nd-gen) and the new GTE-spec BMW M8.

V8 Supercars might fit in Group 2 but could also warrant their own class. As for the GT5 RM and DLC touring cars, I don't know.
I mean just by guessing, I'd imagine most, if not all of them, would either fit into Gr.4 or Gr.3.

Last edited:
So weird GT had the LM and GT All-Stars classes. Those were similar to Gr. 3. PD have just about painted the classes into a corner- or, they keep digging a deeper ditch.

We know that Gr.4 & Gr.3 are respectively meant to resemble FIA GT4 & FIA GT3. And we also know that GT3 cars often race within the GT300 class in Super GT. So, for Gr.3, the following GT300 cars could be added:
Toyota Prius (and we've seen this one being scanned, too)
Honda CR-Z (the GT300-spec hasn't appeared in GT yet, but you never know...)
Mazda RX-7 FD
Autobacs Garaiya
Subaru BR-Z
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR-S
Lexus IS350
Subaru Impreza (2008 or 2003? Idk which is preferable - though I think the '08 version is more likely to appear.)
Nissan Silvia
The newer GT300s, maybe. But I don't see any cars older than, say, 2010-ish making the list.
Gr.1:
Bentley Speed 8
Sauber-Mercedes C9
Toyota GT-One (TS020)
Toyota 88C-V
Peugeot 905
BMW V12 LMR
Mazda 787B
Jaguar XJR-9
Nissan R92CP
Nissan R89C
Audi R8 (2001, or 2005? I'd say the 2005 one has a higher likelihood.)
Audi R10 TDI
Again, their age would make them extremely uncompetitive, even with BoP. Look at the old R18 for reference. The 908 HDI is a one-trick pony around Monza and Tokyo East. Sure the cars you mentioned have 700-1000 horsepower, but honestly I think their outdated aero and suspension would be so bad that it would be like pitting a Veyron against a LaFerrari.
The newer Gr.2 class is known to include Super GT500 cars - but could older JGTC cars (in GT500) be included here, too? And what of DTM racers, especially since Super GT and DTM have been chatting with each other recently? My guess is that FIA GT1 would go here - the Aston Martin DBR9 and McLaren F1 GTR both competed in GT500. Which would likely mean that the following cars from older GT games would go in Gr.2:
Nissan R390 Race Car
Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Race Car
McLaren F1 GTR (GT6 1995 ver.)
BMW-McLaren F1 GTR Longtail
Panoz Esperante GTR-1

As well as the following GT500 racers:
Toyota Supra Mk.IV (Maybe the 1997 one? The 2000 one known for appearing in Gran Turismo 3? Or perhaps the more recent 2005 one that was the only time a Supra was in Super GT?)
Lexus SC430
Nissan GT-R R35 (2008, before either facelift)
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z33) (it was in GT500 for the 2006 season)
Nissan Skyline GT-R R34
Honda HSV010
Honda NSX (1st-gen, 2008)
Honda NSX (1st-gen, 2000)
Lamborghini Diablo GT-1
Same points as above, except that these cars don't even have a power advantage, which makes them even more useless. I also think GT1 is inferior to the current GTE (and by a slight extension Gr. 3) cars' pace save for straight line speed, so putting them in Gr. 2 means they're pretty much dead on arrival.

You can argue that BoP could solve all these problems, but they can mess up a car's driveability if you take it too far. For example, let's put the 787b into Gr. 1. If it wants to even hold a candle to the stronger Gr. 1 cars in its class I'd propose bumping up power to, say, 1200hp. This way it can be part of the meta on the higher speed circuits, like Monza. But how would you drive a 1200hp monster that has no grip relative to the cars in its competition? How would it take corners- exits in particular? Another (slightly smaller, and more personal) problem I see with BoP'ing these cars is that they have the potential to give unrealistic figures in the name of balance. If you really do want to put the R390 at Gr. 2, maybe you might want to reduce its weight to 700-750kg maybe so at least it could compensate its lack of aero on the corners with its nimbleness. Driveability issues aside, I (personally; basically my opinion) just find it odd I guess? Thankfully PD hasn't gone for unrealistic power and weight figures in the name of balance, for better or for worse. The old R18 only has 510-550hp BoP'd if I remember correctly, which makes it so freakishly bad at Gr. 1, but hey at least the numbers make sense :)

You can argue that BoP could solve all these problems, but they can mess up a car's driveability if you take it too far. For example, let's put the 787b into Gr. 1. If it wants to even hold a candle to the stronger Gr. 1 cars in its class I'd propose bumping up power to, say, 1200hp. This way it can be part of the meta on the higher speed circuits, like Monza. But how would you drive a 1200hp monster that has no grip relative to the cars in its competition? How would it take corners- exits in particular? Another (slightly smaller, and more personal) problem I see with BoP'ing these cars is that they have the potential to give unrealistic figures in the name of balance. If you really do want to put the R390 at Gr. 2, maybe you might want to reduce its weight to 700-750kg maybe so at least it could compensate its lack of aero on the corners with its nimbleness. Driveability issues aside, I (personally; basically my opinion) just find it odd I guess? Thankfully PD hasn't gone for unrealistic power and weight figures in the name of balance, for better or for worse. The old R18 only has 510-550hp BoP'd if I remember correctly, which makes it so freakishly bad at Gr. 1, but hey at least the numbers make sense :)

Then perhaps the leaked "Gr.A" could be a decent place for these cars, after all. But then again, Gr.B includes the older Audi Quattro Pikes Peak... Perhaps the idea of Gr.B including older 1980s rally cars is an exception rather than a rule, especially since the official video about the classes seemed to emphasize how Gr.B is about the real-world Group B, and since PD doesn't have the WRC license to use newer real-world rally cars. Meanwhile, all the other videos didn't seem to display racing footage that featured older cars - even the Gr.1 video mostly just featured the older Audi R8 LMP.

Also, this is the video I've been using as a reference.

Last edited:
The Audi Quattro Pikes Peak honestly caught me off-guard in Gr. B. I was thinking that it would either be completely left out because it's a completely outdated car, or it would be a dominant force because the Pikes Peak regulations allow for more freedom of modifications over the car than Group B. But it was just at the right spectrum, being in the leaderboards on some tracks, and on others it's absent. My theory for this is that the Audi Pikes Peak, with the additional mods it had over the base Group B car, gave it just enough edge to be competitive in the current Gr. B class despite its age. Another take on it could be that PD regulated the pace of the rest of the Gr. B cars based on the 1980s Group B machines, to make sure the former is in line with the latter's pace, and that the Audi Pikes Peak is the benchmark car per se.

Just a sidenote, the Audi acts like it has a sequential transmission, even though in real life it used a manual 'box. I'm thinking this was intentional from PD so that it doesn't get any disadvantage with gearshifts

The Audi Quattro Pikes Peak honestly caught me off-guard in Gr. B. I was thinking that it would either be completely left out because it's a completely outdated car, or it would be a dominant force because the Pikes Peak regulations allow for more freedom of modifications over the car than Group B. But it was just at the right spectrum, being in the leaderboards on some tracks, and on others it's absent. My theory for this is that the Audi Pikes Peak, with the additional mods it had over the base Group B car, gave it just enough edge to be competitive in the current Gr. B class despite its age. Another take on it could be that PD regulated the pace of the rest of the Gr. B cars based on the 1980s Group B machines, to make sure the former is in line with the latter's pace, and that the Audi Pikes Peak is the benchmark car per se.

Just a sidenote, the Audi acts like it has a sequential transmission, even though in real life it used a manual 'box. I'm thinking this was intentional from PD so that it doesn't get any disadvantage with gearshifts
Do the fictional Group Bs have sequential gearboxes? I haven't looked. It would make sense given that modern WRC machines use sequential boxes.

Keep in mind that BoP could help balance them. I'm not 100% sure if power alone should be the sole deciding factor for classes...

I think they just should include one iteration of the TS020 if they're gonna include it at all, and I think the one that was in GTLMP is more popular.

But I'd say those cars have too many broader modifications to be in Gr.4 - and Gr.4 is meant for more subtle modifications, IIRC.

I don't really see why Group C cars and DPs couldn't just be in Gr.1 and have BoP be applied to them - but I agree that LMP2 may not be as clear-cut. Though I did hear that LMP2 cars were getting faster than the LMP1 cars lately...

Ah, I thought the RSR was a GT3 racer.

Yeah. I'm not sure if there's much other way to have the C7 Corvette represented - though an older FIA GT1 C6 could fit into Gr.2... And I think if one wanted to take full advantage of GTE for potential Gr.3 cars, then in that case, I'd add the Ford GT (2nd-gen) and the new GTE-spec BMW M8.

I mean just by guessing, I'd imagine most, if not all of them, would either fit into Gr.4 or Gr.3.

I suppose V8 Supercars could fit into Group 3. How much do Supercars weigh anyway? I don't think they're as light as GT500s. Not sure how powerful Daytona Prototypes are these days or how fast current gen LMP2s are compared to the P1s. And while I only suggested Group 4 for older GT300s in terms of on paper spec (As they wouldn't have enough power for Group 3), I'd definitely put modern GT300s in Group 3.

I suppose V8 Supercars could fit into Group 3. How much do Supercars weigh anyway? I don't think they're as light as GT500s. Not sure how powerful Daytona Prototypes are these days or how fast current gen LMP2s are compared to the P1s. And while I only suggested Group 4 for older GT300s in terms of on paper spec (As they wouldn't have enough power for Group 3), I'd definitely put modern GT300s in Group 3.
1410kg w/driver.

GT1s are slower than modern GT3s and also GTE cars, but should be faster than Group 4 cars, they're also light years behind Class 1 Super GT500 cars, so much so that even when they ran in JGTC they were considered the ghetto choice compared to the GT500s and GT300s, very few were actually successful if I recall correctly.

V8 Supercars are slower than GT3. Not only do they have more weight, they also rely more on mechanical grip than downforce grip. At Bathurst they're 2 seconds off the pace in comparison to GT3; the slowest of the latter was only 3/10ths slower than the former's pole. Sounds about right for Group 3 if BoP'd, but the different driving style required would be interesting to see.

As far as I know the Daytona Prototypes are essentially LMP2s with the exception that the manufacturer DPs should have a style that reflects their image?

I might be talking out of my ass but I'm sure Group C cars are about on par if not slower than GT3s are today due to the many strides made in aerodynamic, suspension and tyre technology since the 90s when they were last active. BOP isn't a simple solution since it is only weight and power that increases and decreases, not the entire car's character and datedness.

The most easy solution would be to give all these vehicles their own class, given that they have contemporary machines to compete with, like with Group 2 currently.

V8 Supercars are slower than GT3. Not only do they have more weight, they also rely more on mechanical grip than downforce grip. At Bathurst they're 2 seconds off the pace in comparison to GT3; the slowest of the latter was only 3/10ths slower than the former's pole. Sounds about right for Group 3 if BoP'd, but the different driving style required would be interesting to see.

As far as I know the Daytona Prototypes are essentially LMP2s with the exception that the manufacturer DPs should have a style that reflects their image?
In that case I suppose it would be interesting if Supercars ran alongside GT3 but I think putting them in their own class would be fairer. And since the new Daytona Prototype International cars are built on LMP2 chassis and run alongside them (Though the DPi cars are not actually eligible for LMP2 at Le Mans) it would make sense to have LMP2s run alongside the new DPi cars.

Looking at the JGTC/Super GT list I'd have to say I'd prefer the 1998 or 1999 NSX over the 2000 car. Personal taste I suppose.

Add all the years! :drool:

Classic JGTC would have to be separate. The power levels are below GT3. Even being lighter in weight. They'd be no match for current SGT.

If the Group C cars are indeed Gr. A, that's fine. However, putting them in Gr. 1 works as well. Less aero, but 400km/h terminal velocity may still make them competitive.
PD did group the LMP roadsters with the closed cockpit cars(thats not saying much). I think the prototypes from 20 years ago would still do well in a current field.

Looking over the responses, here are my new conclusions:
-Cars from the early 2000s-onwards would fit best in the currently extant groups, and older Group B rally cars could still go into Gr.B, like the rumored Lancia 037. The Escudo Pikes Peak could fit in Gr.B, as well.
-Group C racers will likely require a new class, and I think the leaked Gr.A is this group. Something similar may be needed for older DTM cars (e.g. Alfa Romeo 155TI), older FIA GT1 cars, V8 Supercars, and older JGTC cars.
-A few GT4 and GTE cars could respectively join Gr.4 and Gr.3, such as the X-Bow GT4 and the new BMW M8 GTE. Similarly, modern GT300 cars could be in Gr.3, and modern DTM cars could potentially be in Gr.2.
-LMP2 and DPs could be in a new class, but also together.
-As for the touring cars/RMs, I'd say some could be in Gr.4, such as the Prius and RX-7 FD, but I also think it may be best to leave them behind in GT6 to effectively start from scratch. That said, I think the RM game mechanic would be good in a future GT game to turn a road car into its Gr.4 or Gr.3 equivalent.

GT300 shouldnt be added to the Gr.3, that should be remain untouched.
What they can do, I hope so, they create a GT300 (-group) where you can race with the gt3s and gt300s. So we can have both, because I dont want to have every gt3 race a mix between both groups.

I dont like that idea of car classes added to existing groups of cars, they dont race in real life together, so why in gts? One of the things I hated in FM.

GT300 shouldnt be added to the Gr.3, that should be remain untouched.
What they can do, I hope so, they create a GT300 (-group) where you can race with the gt3s and gt300s. So we can have both, because I dont want to have every gt3 race a mix between both groups.

I dont like that idea of car classes added to existing groups of cars, they dont race in real life together, so why in gts? One of the things I hated in FM.
If you look at how PD implemented the aero mods on the WRX Gr. 3 and Lancer Gr. 3, they're actually quite in-line with the GT300 aero ruleset, save for some variations here and there. Under my opinionated technicalities (:lol:), I think GT300 is already in Gr. 3 :)
Oh also, real-life GT300 does include GT3 cars, with some of them sporting real-life itasha liveries :drool:

Read more carefully ;)
They can build a group with gt300 and gr.3, but they should remain the gr.3 as it is.
When you want to create a gt3 race, you can do this, when you want to create a gt300 race, you can do this too. Otherwise you would have every time an autobacs garayia or subaru brz gt300 in a race, where they dont belong (as long a you dont want it).

Last edited:
Read more carefully ;)
They can build a group with gt300 and gr.3, but they should remain the gr.3 as it is.
When you want to create a gt3 race, you can do this, when you want to create a gt300 race, you can do this too. Otherwise you would have every time an autobacs garayia or subaru brz gt300 in a race, where they dont belong (as long a you dont want it).
Ohh okay I get it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding :P

In that case, I think they should just give the option in lobbies to allow you to limit a race to a certain group of models within a group, rather than creating potential sub-groups just because someone doesn't personally like GT300 cars with GT3 cars, or Gr.1 VGTs alongside LMP1s. They seem to otherwise fit just fine - what that poster seems to be bringing up is just personal preference, and could be alleviated by allowing the option to check-off which cars one can use in a custom lobby race. Ideally, I'd like to see enough lobby race options to replicate GT League races, where you can specify drivetrain, national origin, etc. and even just pick potentially-eligible cars one-by-one if you wanna be really particular, like for a Boxer Spirit race. And also even form a garage of recommended cars if players don't have a certain vehicle in their garage, the caveat being they may not be able to tune them. (Which may be a moot point if it's an event where tuning is disabled...)

Looking over the responses, here are my new conclusions:
-Cars from the early 2000s-onwards would fit best in the currently extant groups, and older Group B rally cars could still go into Gr.B, like the rumored Lancia 037. The Escudo Pikes Peak could fit in Gr.B, as well.
-Group C racers will likely require a new class, and I think the leaked Gr.A is this group. Something similar may be needed for older DTM cars (e.g. Alfa Romeo 155TI), older FIA GT1 cars, V8 Supercars, and older JGTC cars.
-A few GT4 and GTE cars could respectively join Gr.4 and Gr.3, such as the X-Bow GT4 and the new BMW M8 GTE. Similarly, modern GT300 cars could be in Gr.3, and modern DTM cars could potentially be in Gr.2.
-LMP2 and DPs could be in a new class, but also together.
-As for the touring cars/RMs, I'd say some could be in Gr.4, such as the Prius and RX-7 FD, but I also think it may be best to leave them behind in GT6 to effectively start from scratch. That said, I think the RM game mechanic would be good in a future GT game to turn a road car into its Gr.4 or Gr.3 equivalent.
Yeah, I like that idea. Some of the touring cars and RM cars from GT5/6 could fit into some of the existing groups (At least in design; specs may need to be tweaked for better fit) but I do agree that some of them may be best left behind. As for the Escudo I think it would be too fast for Group B and heavy BoP might do the car a disservice.

I might be talking out of my ass but I'm sure Group C cars are about on par if not slower than GT3s are today due to the many strides made in aerodynamic, suspension and tyre technology since the 90s when they were last active. BOP isn't a simple solution since it is only weight and power that increases and decreases, not the entire car's character and datedness.

The most easy solution would be to give all these vehicles their own class, given that they have contemporary machines to compete with, like with Group 2 currently.

After some quick research and pulling the first (best) numbers I saw...

Spa-Francorchamps Pole:
Porsche 962C 1990 - 2:12.306
Mercedes-AMG GT3 - 2:18.562

Porsche taken from the 2018 Group C Racing event at Spa earlier this month and Mercedes from the 24hr last year.

Group 1 is definitely loose enough to fit the Group C cars, but i'd still rather have them in their own class. It would be a great opportunity to showcase how prototypes have evolved in the 25+ year gap between the Group C days and now.

Group 1 is definitely loose enough to fit the Group C cars, but i'd still rather have them in their own class. It would be a great opportunity to showcase how prototypes have evolved in the 25+ year gap between the Group C days and now.
That's the way it should BE, but the classic "PROTOTYPES"(Ferrari and Jag) are in Gr. X. I'd live Group sew to be the mysterious Gr. A class. We'll seec in a few days.

Back