Ideal HP for Drifting

How much power do you prefer for drifting?

• More than 350bhp

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Power doesn't matter

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Less than or equal to 300bhp

Votes: 28 30.4%

• Total voters
I was wondering how much power you guys like to have under the hood of your drift machines.

More than 350bhp: for those of us who like to have as much power as possible, and have to use precise throttle control and like getting MASSIVE wheelspin along with the ability to do it whenever they desire.

Power doesn't matter: for those of use who can drift with 150bhp one day and 700bhp the next, AND NOT PREFER ONE OVER THE OTHER. (ie. No preference)

Less than or equal to 300bhp: for those of us who like near stock performance and like to have a balance in power, and believe that there is such a thing as too much power.

I like both, usually I have a high hp and a low hp version of my favorite drift cars. I used to primarily drift High hp cars until I tried out delphic reasons sileighty settings, it worked very well for me and now i tend to set up most of my cars around 300 hp.

Majority of my cars are under 300HP. Most of the ones that go over 300 are either AWD, heavy, or both...
I voted power doesn't matter, but sometimes it flat out does...

glad you figured it out rsmithdrift. This is actually a pretty good topic.

I chose that is doesn't matter...

My cars range from 150KW to 700KW depending on what car it is... It's all in how you set it up... If you running 700KW, N1's are like driving on cardboard... So you go N2 or N3... and settings will change too...

So it really depends on how you set your cars up...

Personally, I prefer lower HP drifting.

It really doesn't matter what power it is, but I generally seem to prefer my cars around the 250-300 mark for consistency and controllability. Lighter cars need less though, as long as you can spin the rear wheels you can drift ;)

Hmmm...

I like big power in my cars...how can I explain now...I like fast showy drifts and I'm used to throttle control and all that.

and OOC;

ForcedInduction's icon is more like a Dodge Status than a Skyline o_o sorry heh

I voted for power doesn´t matter. I have drifted the 800hp Skyline pacecar (Fully tuned) and my older ´89 Fr skyline that has about 250-300Hp and a lot of other cars with different Hp´s.

I find that power very much DOES matter. It all depends on your style of drifting. I'm not saying every car needs to be 500hp or higher. What I'm saying is that if you have a 166hp Trueno for example, don't expet to do smokey high angle drifts. You can however take that same care, give it about 225hp and do some very impressive exhibition style drifting.

So how much power you use very much depends on your style. I'm usually in the 225-275hp range with my cars except for the rotary's that have lower torque. Those I have over 300.

i definitely prefer high powered vehicles, but will do low power every now and then just to mix it up. kei cars are fun too tho.

I voted for over 350 bhp as I usually drift with 4wd cars and they need raw power to be held in the slide. Most rwd cars drift well with about 300 bhp though.

I usually do half of the hp upgrades just cause of money conserving purposes...lol
but it really doesn't matter. When drifting with high or low hp I change between drifting styles so its all good... :sly:👍

I chose doesn't matter

For one most of the cars i'm using in GT4 is around 200 to 290 MAX! your really don't need all that power. Except from what has all ready been stated above me.

I like ~300hp for FR on N2's or so.

Plenty enough power to do links and big drifts.

just remeber with your turbo you dont want it so big your hitting boost during mid corner instead of having the ablility to spin your wheels coming in at a low speed

I have my Horse power set between 400-500 HP. On N2's

I love the power.. I love having too much, so i know the power is there when i need it, rather than not having enough power..

Im just a rev head :sly:

I have drift cars from a 140hp Levin to 500hp monsters. I find the same challege in pulling big links with a powerful car and trowing away a 140hp AE86.

I don't really think it mater that much. I t does to a degree but if it's what you prefer. If you like alot of wheelspin then it high hp. But if you like just messing about and having fun then it doesn't matter if the hp is low.

I do prefer high hp on cars but i do use lower hp cars to practice first :)

Swift
glad you figured it out rsmithdrift. This is actually a pretty good topic.

Couldn't of done it w/o you man (ok. I could but it would have taken alot longer and been very frustrating) anyways thanks for heping.

BTW, I voted over 350 because I like to be able to do what I want, when I want with my cars and you have to have alot of power and good throttle control to be able to do that.

Also, just so you know 600bhp is only 300bhp at half throttle. :lol:

(interesting that High and Low HP are equal in the polls and No preference is double)

I'm going to say HP doesn't matter.

the GT-350 drifted better for me at it's stock 300 ish HP than it did supercharged to 450.

the M5 is stock 500 Hp and drifts like a dream.

my Elises are all at 250 Hp or less and drift great.

I generally like to drift stock cars just on N1's, but I like a lot of High Powered cars.

Also, with an MR or RR car, sustaining power on oversteer requires a good amount of HP, or the rear just hooks back up.

i prefer to have a car with 450-500hp but with a very wide power range in the turbo so i go in slow and then nail it to bring the revs up and into the power band(like the hks silvia 👍 )it just spins up with ease

I guess I'm a low power junkie.
I find if I get a balanced suspension setup I don't need much more than 275hp for any car (land yacht's aside).

Of course, on occasion, a 500hp monster does have its charms.

Lol, you know....I thought 250BHP was average, but it seems like I'm a bit of a wuss lol;)
I need to have such a monster I think...but my DFP is broke and I need to wait till wendsay.
I can drift good enough with 250BHP. But hey, GT4 is for fun, so everything you do with it should be for fun, so it doesn't matter:tup::sly:

BTW Logitech has EXELENT service: My brake pedal became to sensitive, and there were problems, now I told my dad and he opened the pedal stuff....:lol: the whole freakin thing jumped and launched into pieces, all kinda springs and stuff all jumped outta the thing, and they say it cant be repared. They will still give a new one....I've never seen that kinda service before:drool:.

:bowdown: LOGITECH!:bowdown:

Power doesn't matter in the least... You can do nearly everything you can do with a 500hp car, with a low power car... Yes, that even means high angle drifts... You just have to work on keeping your momentum up with a low power car... As long as you don't lose too much speed, there really isn't any difference between a 240hp S13 on N1's and a 500hp S14 on N3's or sports... You just have less time on the straights between corners with the higher power car... The key is paying close attention to the weight, HP, torque, etc..., and matching it well with the tires, and the LSD settings...

I drift stock power vehciles, high hp (600-1000hp), and everything in between...

;)

Back