Identical cars vs. Identical cars. Requests answered

• Thread starter Jondot
  • 48 comments
United Kingdom
Kent, UK
GTP_Jondot
You may have noticed, that many cars in gt4 look remarkably similar, but do they handle in the same way?

In these tests i aim to find out. I will also have a guess on which car will win, if not a draw.
I will test each car in four ways:

1) 1000 meter drag race on test course

2) Nose to nose torque test (like a tug of war, but pushing eachother instead of pulling)

3) Time trial on motor land

4) Time trial on Trial Mountain

Rules for 1000 meter drag race

Distances between cars must be more than a tyre's length to be classed as 2nd place, less than a tyre's length means a draw.

Rules for nose to nose torque test

The distance of 100m means a win for the pushing car

Rules for time trial on motor land

Times are considered no matter how small the difference

Cars will not be modified in any way whatsoever, this includes tires, ride height ect.

Rules for time trial on Trial Mountain

Times are considered no matter how small the differance

Cars will not be modified in any way whatsoever, this includes tires, ride height ect.

Cars will be driven on B-spec mode, number 3 at all times.

Cars tested

Opel Vectra vs Vauxhall Vectra My Prediction - Draw

Pontiac Vibe vs Toyota Voltz My Prediction - The Pontiac Vibe

Honda NSX '01 vs Acura NSX '04 My Prediction - The Honda

Honda Integra Type R '03 vs Acura RSX Type S '04 My Prediction - The Honda

Toyota Corolla RunX vs Toyota Will VS '01 My Prediction - The Corolla

Mazda 6 5 Door vs Mazda 6 Concept My Prediction - The Mazda 6 5 Door

Nissan Skyline 350GT-B vs Infiniti G35 SEDAN '03 My prediction - The Skyline

Pontiac GTO vs Holden Monaro Suggested by GT_Fan2005 My prediction - The Holden

Isuzu 117 Coupe '68 vs Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R '69 Suggested by Studentdriver My prediction - The Bellett

Any more requests answered

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Opel Vectra vs Vauxhall Vectra

vs

Test 1 - 100m drag

Both cars were lined up next to each other, as close as possible.

I held accelerate and brake together for 5 second on each car, then released brake.

At first, the Opel was ahead, but by the 100m mark, the Vauxhall had caught up.

It was neck and neck, until the Vauxhall changed into 4th gear, and shot ahead, with the Opel trailing behind. By the time the cars reached the 1000m mark, the gap had grow to 50m, with the Vauxhall up ahead.

Test 2 - Torque push

Both cars were lined up nose to nose at a 50m mark, in between the 1000 and 900m marks

Again, I held accelerate and brake together for 5 second on each car, then released brake.

For the first few seconds, nothing moved, but gradually, the Vauxhall pushed the Opel backwards, at a speed around 3mph. Within about 15 seconds, the Opel was over the 900 line, signifying a win for the Vauxhall.

Test 3 - Time trial on Motor Land

The Vauxhall was tested first.

I drove it, on A-Spec mode, 10 times around Motorland.

My result: Session Record 0'52.902

The Opel was tested next.

Within 3 laps it had smashed the Vauxhall's record

By the end of the 4th lap, it' record was 0'52.268.

Test 4 - Time trial on Trial Mountain

The Vauxhall, again, went first.

I drove it 10 times around the circuit, with a record of 1'58.580

The Opel went next

By the 2nd lap, the Opel had broken the Vauxhall's record, and had a record of 1'57.224

By lap 4, the Opel had reached 1'54.024.

Overview

Wins for Vauxhall = 2

Wins for Opel = 2

The Vauxhall is quicker in a straight line, but the Opel seems to hold it's own on circuits.

The two are pretty much the same.

-------------------------------
-------------------------------

Pontiac GTO vs Holden Monaro

vs
Test 1 - 1000m drag

Both cars were started in the usual way - revving them and releasing brake.
Starting off, the two were neck and neck, it looked as though this race was going to be a draw, even the engine noises were the same sound, and gears were changing at the same time.
But the pontiac slowly crept ahead, then changed gear and shot off ahead.
By the 1000m mark, the gap was about 50m between the two cars.

Test 2 - Torque push

Both cars were placed nose to nose over a 50m mark - in between the 1000m and 900m marks.
Both cars were revved and released.
Nothing moved, both cars stayed exactly where they were, but slowly, the Pontiac was pushing the Holden backwards.
Eventually, the Pontiac managed to push the Holden all the way to the 1000m mark.

Test 3 - Time trial on Motorland

The Pontiac went first.
In 10 laps it managed to get a record of 0'47.415

The Holden went next.
In 10 laps it managed to get a record of 0'47.520

I think this, however, can probably be called a draw.

The Pontiac was driven first on Trial Mountain for 3 laps.
Lap 1 gave result : 1'48.448
Lap 2 gave result : 1'47.939 - fastest
Lap 3 gave result : 1'48.220

The Holden was also given 3 laps
Lap 1 gave result : 1'48.118 - quicker than the Pontiac's lap 1
Lap 2 gave result : 1'47.866 - fastest yet
Lap 3 gave result : 1'48.027 - quicker than Pontiac's lap 1 & 2

Overview

Pontiac wins : 2
Holden's wins : 1

The Pontiac is slightly quicker than the Holden.

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

Isuzu 117 coupe vs Isuzu Bellett 1600 GT-R

Test 1 - Drag race on Test Course

Both cars were prepared in the normal way - revved and released.

From the start it was obvious that the 117 Coupe was quicker, it overtook the Bellet, and carried on to finish 50m away from it's competititor.

Test 2 - Torque push

Both cars were lined up in the usual way.

First, the Bellet pushed the 117 coupe back slightly, but gradually, the coupe pushed the Bellet all the way to the 900m line.

Test 3 - Time trial on Motor Land

The 117 went first.
In ten laps, it couldn't beat 0'54.954.

The Bellet went after.
In ten laps it's best was 0'55.141 - just missing the 117's.
However, it did feel much slower than the 117 around the circuit.

117 went first.

Lap 1 gave result : 2'00.031
Lap 2 gave result : 1'59.206
Lap 3 gave result : 1'59.601

The Bellett went next

Lap 1 gave result : 2'01.359
Lap 2 gave result : 2'00.471
Lap 3 gave result : 2'01.049

Overview

The 117 coupe has won 4 times
The Bellet has not won anything.

The Bellet is slower than the 117 coupe, and does not handle as well

That concludes today's tests, which took me around 2 Hours, so the next race will be held tomorrow, or later on tonight.

Don't forget to request a car to appear on this list, and remember, it's not just cars that look the same that can appear in this list, it's cars with the same tech specs.

*******New rule*********

I decided that I should make one of the time trials more acurate, so ...
The trial mountain time trial's record will now be found using b-spec mode, not a-spec, and the pace selector will be set on number 3 at all times.
These rules have been used since the Pontiac/Holden race.

Key =
Purple writing means a new post
Blue writing means a request or a suggestion
Red writing means either Pay attention or my prediction on the car

*******New thing *******
I decided that these lap times will be put into a table, and will be set against the average lap time for a car of that horsepower and type. E.g The Toyota Corolla will be set against a Ford focus st170.

good going, look forward to reading the next one.

another one could be, pontiac GTO and holden monaro, they are pretty much the same as well.

GT_Fan2005
good going, look forward to reading the next one.

another one could be, pontiac GTO and holden monaro, they are pretty much the same as well.

Thanks, i'd forgot about those two!

how bout the two classic Isuzu's? The Billet (sp?) 1600 GT-R and the 117 Coupe. They have the same hp, torque, and weight (I think) according to the dealership.

Studentdriver
how bout the two classic Isuzu's? The Billet (sp?) 1600 GT-R and the 117 Coupe. They have the same hp, torque, and weight (I think) according to the dealership.

Thanks, i'll add them to the list!

I will be adding, tomorrow (around 11 or 12 hours after i have posted this) a list with pictures of the cars i have been using.
See you then!

Updated the review, holden vs pontiac, and isuzu bellet vs isuzu 117 coupe. Enjoy!
I have also put pictures of each car for the posts, except the isuzus. Enjoy!

inferno
Nope. No Accord euro R VS TSX. The TSX gets a 2.4 liter sohc anyway. where as the euro R gets a 2.0 liter dohc. Even though they make the same power.

No its gets teh 2.4 v-tec thats in the base accord, albeit with a 40hp power increase. Its Dohc with the american car market in mind, whereas the euro gets the 2.0 L with the european small displacement market in mind (consequently the redline is also higher)

inferno
How about, R34 Skyline GT-R V-spec VS R34 Skyline GT-R M-spec

I'd thought about something down the lines of a nissan skyline, i think the midnight purple one is identical too.

How about the Shelby Cobra 427 and the AC (Bristol) 427 Super Compt? They are pretty similar, except the AC has taller gears. Or as an alternative, how about the '71 240Z versus the '68 Toyota 2000GT? They are pretty similar, right?

inferno
Nope. No Accord euro R VS TSX. The TSX gets a 2.4 liter sohc anyway. where as the euro R gets a 2.0 liter dohc. Even though they make the same power.
tsx uses the K24a2 engine, euro R uses the K20a engine (same as the Type R)
both are dohc, i-vtec
K20a has more HP but the K24a2 produces more torque

vauxhall vx220 vs opel speedster?

cobra vs cobra?

merc benz 1886 vs the other benz 1886? (theres a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler)

very cool idea. on the topic of the Monaro VS GTO, Ive read that the monaro suspension is more "performance oriented" than the GTO's more "comfort oriented" suspension, which would explain why it could pull better lap times even though it has less power :)

Are you doing a best of 3 for the 400m and the torque push? The torque push also seems to be a test of traction rather than torque.

Interesting fact - The Mercedes AMG 65SL, the torquiest producton car, can be beaten by a tug of war team

When you are doing the track tests, the car you drive 2nd will usually be faster as you are dialled in to the circuit by then.

Mate, Got another One For You If U'd like it.

The Vx220 Turbo & The Opel Speedster Turbo

I feel It would Be Rather Interesting, Even Though I is likely to be a draw.

They're both tuned 350Zs, I thought it would be cool to have a comparison.

perhaps a new Camaro SS and new Mustang GT? :D off the top of my head im not sure how they compare power wise but it would be cool to see.

SS would probably have the advantage with the 5.7L and all so maybe thats not such a great comparison after all.

the vauxhall vectra and opel vectra are exactly the same car just with the different name vauxhall is sold in the us and england and opel is the rest of europe

How about the two SL beasts(the SL55 and SL65 AMG). Both are supercharged the SL65 has more power but also more weight same color of course. :)

cjrciadt
How about the two SL beasts(the SL55 and SL65 AMG). Both are supercharged the SL65 has more power but also more weight same color of course. :)

They are not identical cars.......

SL55 - V8 5.5L Supercharged. irl showroom specs - 493hp $124k
SL65 - V12 6.0L Twin-Turbo irl showroom specs - 604hp $183k

not even close.......

something like Opel vs. Vauxhall
AC Cobra vs. Shelby Cobra
etc

Great idea jreay21!

Here's a few more ideas:

AE86 Sprinter Trueno '83 vs. AE86 Corolla Levin '83
Toyota Corolla Levin BZ-R '98 vs. Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R
Honda Integra Type R '99 (DC2) vs. Acura Integra Type R '01

And maybe the new version SL500 vs the old SL600, is that close enough? Or perhaps the BMW 120i vs. the BMW 120d?

Vaxhaul(?) is not sold in the US.
The comaro and Mustang GT are not the same car. the GTO & Monaro count becuase the GTO is a rebadged Monaro.
That said how about a Fairlady Z(new one) and a 350Z?

hitman146
the vauxhall vectra and opel vectra are exactly the same car just with the different name vauxhall is sold in the us and england and opel is the rest of europe

Thought The Same Not True at all. ,
First Of Do Not Patronise me, Im aware of the Branding, the same, as the fact that, acura and honda both produce NSX's Rebranded Same Car, Jrea Tested numerous Identical Cars This Shows Never Say never In Gt4,

Also In Uk I see plenty of Opels So Bang Goes what you said,

Back