If PD are putting so much into GT5, how much space will it take up (HDD)?

• Thread starter finnracer
  • 41 comments
United Kingdom
Brighton
TheFinners96
I was just wondering because my 60gb has around 15 games on its hdd at the moment and gt5 (along with mw2) will probably take up the rest of the hard drive space

Upgrade - it cost me about £40 to goto 320...

Although I did also buy a USB HDD to do a backup so that I could port my save data...

C.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to install any thing, since almost all first party dev know how to optimize the PS3 this days, hell even back in 2007 uncharted was running smooth with small loading time.

I dont really care. I'd have the 120GB of my PS3 slim entirely dedicated to GT5...ohhh and maybe some minor games like NFS Shift and FM evolved...lets say 100GB for GT5.

It's not like people arent buying the game because of this, right?

Well, the information on the Tekken 6 disc is 20GB, yet the install is only 3.6GB. So I imagine it won't be much.

Also, if you delete all the movies in GT5P, the install size goes from 6.2GB to about 3.2GB.

I'm thinking it's gonna be 10 GB max, but it would be great to be able to copy the whole disk, just like in GT:PSP. You would only need the disk to start the game, after that it would run from the HD.But i don't think they will do this.

Anyway, i bought a 500GB last month, so bring it on, PD !

I would imagine they will try and keep it minimal. Bear in mind that in the future there may be extra cars and maybe even extra tracks and events as DLC which have to go on the HD so the more they can keep on the disc the better, as long as it's not like MGS where it has to install each bit as you go along.

Also, you don't need an external HD do you for backing up data? The big amounts of data are the game installs, the save game files are quite small. Can't you just delete the game installs and do a backup to a flash drive then it only backs up the save games and put a new HD in and reinstall your games?

I wonder how long the GT5 download time will be.

Not really worried since I got a new slim. Only own about 4 games and I keep the HDD clean.

I don't think you have to install any thing, since almost all first party dev know how to optimize the PS3 this days, hell even back in 2007 uncharted was running smooth with small loading time.
There is one difference between Uncharted and a racing game like Gran Turismo. For the most part, in an adventure game, you're running on foot, and in action driving or flying scenes, the backgrounds are often paired down and simplified in order to ease loading times. In the highly detailed tracks of GT5, streaming from the Blu-ray might not be feasible, because those background objects are going to be screaming past every lap, and I sincerely doubt all the track and models for 16 cars can be loaded into ram at once. Streaming from the hard drive seems almost necessary. I'm thinking a 10 -12 GB install myself.

NBH
Also, you don't need an external HD do you for backing up data? The big amounts of data are the game installs, the save game files are quite small. Can't you just delete the game installs and do a backup to a flash drive then it only backs up the save games and put a new HD in and reinstall your games?
You're right, and that's what I'm going to be dealing with. You can move all the extra stuff like demos and videos first, delete it, and then have the core of your hard drive which could be backed up to a USB drive if you wish.

I don't care, I want the same option as GTPSP (Install game to HDD) so I can put the full 50+gb blu-ray game on my HDD!!! :D

late edit: beaten.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's gonna be 10 GB max, but it would be great to be able to copy the whole disk, just like in GT:PSP. You would only need the disk to start the game, after that it would run from the HD.But i don't think they will do this.

Anyway, i bought a 500GB last month, so bring it on, PD !

Can you do it in the ps3 and how to,whenever I put GT5p disk in and press triangle for menu it says information but there is no option for copying or anything else,please let me know,thanks.

They can take up as much of my HDD as they want.

I'm guessing maybe 10 gigabytes? Since I haven't seen many games with over 5GB (granted, I only own two games...) I hope they install so much stuff that the loading time becomes non-existent.

I have been wondering the same thing. I only have around 18GB left on my PS3 and GT5 may take up a majority of that.... :nervous:

There will be plenty of notice ahead of time to let us know of any hard drive space requirements or options. Most of us can clear out some space by deleting or backing up demos and videos, and some game saves, to a USB drive. They're cheap enough these days, especially mail order.

I don't see the problem, even with a 40GB hard disk. If you are in gtplanet.net is because you are a Gran Turismo fan. So, you'll delete everything needed to make room for GT5 instalation files :gtpflag:

I don't care, I want the same option as GTPSP (Install game to HDD) so I can put the full 50+gb blu-ray game on my HDD!!! :D

late edit: beaten.

If we could install the entire game from the disk, or buy it from PSN, I would get a 500gb HDD (or 1TB when available).

I'd do that too, get a 120gig for peanuts and install the full game on the hdd, bet it'd optimize the **** out of the game and reduce any load times whatsoever :D

Here's a question about the HDD on a PS3 I have a 500GB and I would really like to see what kind of shape it's in. What I'm talking about is the fact that I don't think you can (defragment) the hard drive on a PS3 so how screwed up is all the data. I'm sure thats why like in GT5P you used up over 5 GB even with the disk version. Just think what the hard drive looks like after installing demo after demo and then deleting them. Anyone here with enough PS3 knowledge to answer this, If not I think I'll do a "backup" onto an external HDD and plug into my PC just to see what the data looks like. Maybe even get some screen shots before and after defragment.

Back