If wheel support isn't added for the PS4 will you buy GT7?

• Thread starter eatyourdog
  • 168 comments

Will you buy GT7?

• Only if support is added for my wheel

Votes: 105 52.8%
  • I will be buying a new wheel

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • I will buy it either way

Votes: 73 36.7%

• Total voters
Sweden
Stockholm
vanyaus
Currently as it stands only Thrustmaster wheels are supported on the PS4 and it isn't looking too good for us non-Thrustmaster wheel users.

Right now it doesn't look like support will be added for most of the other wheels (looking really bad for us Logitech users).
Personally this will more or less determine whether or not I buy GT7. I don't feel like first, having to buy a PS4 (since right now I really don't see a reason why to buy one) and then having to shell out $350 for a new wheel! Currently I'm using my G27, so if I would want to use a wheel in GT7 I would have to either get the T500rs and then a gear shifter or the T300rs and then a compatible pedal set and gear shifter and none of these options are exactly cheep.

For me, unless I get support for my Logitech wheel I won't be getting GT7, will probably just stick with Project CARS on the PC, which sucks, but I'm not shelling out $1000 just to play GT7 :/

How does the rest of the GT community feel about this whole wheel issue?

EDIT:
An article about the whole debacle:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-05-whats-the-deal-with-ps4-and-xbox-one-steering-wheels

TL;DR
Logitech users more or less ****ed, others might be some hope for you!

Last edited:
I think a great many of us non-TM users look at it the same way as you. The cost of next-gen, either XBone, PS, is $1000 for us and at that price point, it opens up the possibility of retaining our Logitech equipment and putting $1K into a PC and delving into the world of PC sims. You also have to factor in that it's free to play online but $50/yr on console and outside of iRacing, PC sims are usually cheaper or no more money than console games. Variety is much larger too and the racing community is more "sim" oriented, although it's far from ideal or perfect.

I think a great many of us non-TM users look at it the same way as you. The cost of next-gen, either XBone, PS, is $1000 for us and at that price point, it opens up the possibility of retaining our Logitech equipment and putting $1K into a PC and delving into the world of PC sims. You also have to factor in that it's free to play online but $50/yr on console and outside of iRacing, PC sims are usually cheaper or no more money than console games. Variety is much larger too and the racing community is more "sim" oriented, although it's far from ideal or perfect.

Indeed, and even if I could just trade in my G27 for let's say the T300rs, I wouldn't, because from what I've heard it isn't that good of a wheel compared to the G27. Apparently it feels cheap/flimsy + you don't get a clutch pedal and gear shifter. The only one I could see upgrading to would be the T500rs and that wheel isn't exactly cheap...

I think it´s really all about the f%%%ing money. To me it looks that Thrustmaster paid a lot of money to be exclusive with their wheels. All this bla-bla about security.....
I bought a Logitech DrivingForce-GT last year. And now i should buy a new Wheel ?!?!?!
Unless they fix this there is for me only one possible solution: ProjectCars on PC. Sorry Sony, sorry PD, but thats abolutely not the way to deal with customers !

Supplemental: Don´t understand me wrong. I´m not a Logitech-Fanboy. The Thrustmaster-Wheels are also really good stuff. What makes me really sick is the politics all around money-making.....

Greets from the black forest.
thorfynn aka Heavy aka Michael

If Sony are not going to support my wheel, I am no longer going to support them. So no PS4 or GT7 for me. I have a Logitech G25, & am still very happy with it thank you.

I place the blame squarely with Sony for this reason; older Thrustmaster wheels work with the PS4 (even though they don't have a PS4 security chip), so it stands to reason that other older wheels can work too. All the politics, greed, & exclusive behind the scenes deals have severely affected my perception of Sony for the worse.

That said, I'd rather have a PS4 than a PC for the ease of use it brings. Can't afford a good enough PC either. Maybe this is the end of my sim-racing hobby as I know it!

:(:ill::irked::mad::nervous::ouch::rolleyes::scared:👎:yuck::grumpy:

Maybe they were so confident about their new console that in an attempt to not crush the competitors they added some flaws so that it wouldn't sell too well?

Although realistically, they probably made a deal with Thrustmaster so that they would get monopoly on making PS4 wheels. That's the only reason I can think of why they would require a security chip. I don't think a lot of hackers are using steering wheels to hack their consoles.

And no, because of this I will not buy a PS4 for as long as my DFGT still works. I see no point in having two wheels, and I see no point in buying a PS4 if I don't have a wheel to use it with. So when my wheel has given up, then I might consider getting a PS4 (and a compatible wheel).

GT5 and 6 have been different enough to make me downright ravenous for GT7.

I know people rave about their sims, but they are their own universe, and a rather pocket universe at that. They are oriented towards a more serious recreation of real life racing, and are more focused with a much smaller car count. P CARS has a chance to break this mold, but it's looking very similar to the sims in flavor, and because of the limited vehicle list, there are going to be a certain amount of one make races, possibly too many for my druthers. And forget modifications.

So to have a decent range of cars you can tinker with, modify and make your own, it's either Forza(4) or Gran Turismo, and Gran Turismo has the grandest selection. It might drive some of you crazy, but that special flavor Kaz and the team infuses in every game is what keeps us coming back, and keeps us on these boards even when liking this series is the worst of uncool to some. And it's what keeps the game selling in the millions. Heck, GT5 is still selling, with no online racing whatsoever.

GT5 and 6 have been different enough to make me downright ravenous for GT7.

I know people rave about their sims, but they are their own universe, and a rather pocket universe at that. They are oriented towards a more serious recreation of real life racing, and are more focused with a much smaller car count. P CARS has a chance to break this mold, but it's looking very similar to the sims in flavor, and because of the limited vehicle list, there are going to be a certain amount of one make races, possibly too many for my druthers. And forget modifications.

So to have a decent range of cars you can tinker with, modify and make your own, it's either Forza(4) or Gran Turismo, and Gran Turismo has the grandest selection. It might drive some of you crazy, but that special flavor Kaz and the team infuses in every game is what keeps us coming back, and keeps us on these boards even when liking this series is the worst of uncool to some. And it's what keeps the game selling in the millions. Heck, GT5 is still selling, with no online racing whatsoever.

So will you buy GT7 with a new wheel or nah?

So will you buy GT7 with a new wheel or nah?
He'll buy GT7 if it was only an upgrade of GT1 and he had to play with this:
51ZVNA1Q3GL.jpg

Maybe they were so confident about their new console that in an attempt to not crush the competitors they added some flaws so that it wouldn't sell too well?

Although realistically, they probably made a deal with Thrustmaster so that they would get monopoly on making PS4 wheels. That's the only reason I can think of why they would require a security chip. I don't think a lot of hackers are using steering wheels to hack their consoles.

And no, because of this I will not buy a PS4 for as long as my DFGT still works. I see no point in having two wheels, and I see no point in buying a PS4 if I don't have a wheel to use it with. So when my wheel has given up, then I might consider getting a PS4 (and a compatible wheel).
The security chip is a red herring because the older T500 wheels without a security chip still work with the PS4. It's all smoke and mirrors. I think Sony froze Logitech out and is demanding some huge licensing fees for the PS4. TM ponied up the dough or received a preferred rate because Sony knew they needed at least one manufacturer on board, Fanatec is not quite in the fray as of yet.

Last edited:
Earlier I said, I would buy GT7 and a PS4 regardless anything. Well, that's changed. I have had my G27 racing wheel for a year and a half now, and I absolutely love it. At 270 euros, it wasn't particularly cheap and because I'm not a pro, I don't want to spend that money every two years because the new console or game doesn't support the wheel anymore. The G27 is a proper wheel with an USB connector and a good and precise pedal and steering movement, so I can't see why it could not be made compatible with the PS4. It makes me kinda furious, that they have decided not to support older wheels on a PS4. So, if my G27 is not supported in GT7, I will probably buy neither GT7, nor a PS4.

Do they think we're rich or something? There's no way I'll be buying a new wheel because then I would have two and $130 was a lot for my Logitech DFGT (wasn't going to shell out $300+ for a high end wheel). About GT7, I will buy it regardless of wheel support because the PS4 controller is much better than the PS3 controller and as long the game lives up to it's 'promises'.

I have bought a G27 this August and i am not gonna buy a new wheel just for GT7...
So if i will not have my G27 working on PS4 i will keep playing GT6 on PS3 until the online Services will be shut down ans then stick on PC where i habe already AC ans rFactor ans R3E ans waiting for the crew and Pcars...
So no support for me is NO GT7 and NO PS4...

Got PS4 for free and T300 GTE for low price so I'm all set. If I sell my G27 for a decent price, might work out only costing me £60 to upgrade while keeping PS3. Will be a bit extra though if I do buy a shifter and better pedals but I rarely ever used clutch and shifter as pedals seem to come off ground when using it and gear shifter slides off table in operation hence not bothering with them features of the G27 wheel set. Only thing missing is PS2 and some PS3 game support which I don't mind as much as I have backup DFGT wheel.

This poll is DECEPTIVE. PS4 already has "wheel support". Just not "all wheels". Delete the thread and start over.

In school, this would be ripped up and tossed back in your face.

@DaveTheStalker

In general you´re right ;-) (i remember the good old times.... ;-) )
But in this special case i think everyone who read the lines know the background.

greets from the black forest,
thorfynn aka heavy aka michael

My wheel is compatible (Thrustmaster), but the PS4 is expensive and GT7 would be the only game I would play on it so I'm hoping it doesn't come out for a long time - I'm not sure if I will be able to resist the temptation to buy GT7 and a PS4 - I might wait for reviews and subject to them consider switching to PC Sim Racing and skip the PS4 altogether.

Never seen that Eurogamer article before but fits with what @amar212 , interesting they mention Kaz might just want a monopoly for Thrustmaster,I doubt it but maybe @Jordan can shed more light on this.

I like Sony as much as the next guy, but it seems a pretty money grabbing move from them, forking a lot of money for a damn gaming wheel again is near impossible for me.

My wheel (T300 RS) is supported by the PS4 and I'm a huge GT fan so I'll most certainly be purchasing GT7.

Thats a couple years saving if I want to buy the T500RS, the pedals and shifter...
twice (2 PS4s in this household) :(

What for then?

Looks like I'll be upgrading to a T300RS in the near future, plus my G27 is starting to pack up...

PCARS, and whatever other racing games that will come out for PS4. I'll still probably get GT7. I'm just saying that GT7 won't be the reason I'll be getting a T300. From what I've read on these forums, the T300 (wheelbase at least) is a massive upgrade over the G27. I have no problem with buying that wheel if it actually is a quality product.

I'm sorry, but seriously? Did nobody read this?

We're not asking Logitech to continue making wheels for the Consoles, but rather for support so that the wheels that have already been bought and are actually there can work. This came to light recently for many because it gained awareness over the months.

Plenty of individuals bought Logitech wheels and also bought them in the hopes of PS4 support in mind. Hence why there's such a frazzle about it.

We're not asking Logitech to continue making wheels for the Consoles, but rather for support so that the wheels that have already been bought and are actually there can work. This came to light recently for many because it gained awareness over the months.

Plenty of individuals bought Logitech wheels and also bought them in the hopes of PS4 support in mind. Hence why there's such a frazzle about it.

Thing is if they are exiting Console gaming, that would appear to mean that essentially it was over at that time (both in making products and software) and by default, they had no intention of giving support for PS4. That's why I find this whole thing just questionable, it appears they made it clear years ago that was it. I got a Logitech G27 just months ago and its no big deal for me, I'm getting GT7 and if that means I have to go back to controller, so be it.

I'll be getting GT7 regardless, as for wheel options, my 5 year old G27 could use an upgrade anyway. It does disappoint me that there's no cheaper alternative, like the $300 range but at the same time I know that whatever I'd get (most likely the T300), if I get it early on in the PS4's life it'll at least be good for me for the next 10 years (or whatever the lifecycle of the PS4 will be).

Back