If you had to kill off one video game series in favor of bringing back another, what would it be?

United States
The US of A
As a gamer, I am sure you have some dead video game series you wish was still around and you probably have seen something similar out now that you feel isn’t as deserving and would happily kill it off if it meant bringing that dead video game series back.

So the question is simple, if you had to kill off one video game series in favor of bringing back another, what would it be? Feel free to explain why you feel this way as well.

A few rules I want to set though is:
1. Please play nice and follow the AUP. It hasn’t escaped my attention that not everyone is going to agree with what someone says and it’s okay to disagree with somebody about something, but don’t be rude about it.
2. Replace one series with another. Don’t mention killing off multiple video game series in favor of bringing back one, or killing off one series in favor bringing back several others. One with another.
3. Actually answer both. Don’t make posts consisting of what you want killed off without saying what you want brought back and don’t make posts saying what you want brought back without telling what you want killed off in favor of it.

I would gladly kill off Call of Duty in order to bring back the Myst series.

I haven't cared for a call of duty since World at War. I'm not big into online fps games and don't find the short campaigns in the more recent CoD games to be worth the money.

The Myst series on the other hand created worlds I could get completely immersed in. Riven is still in my top 5 games of all time, and I still listen to that OST. The lore the Millers' created for that myst universe was great.

I had a good one, but then I thought of a great (read: controversial) one that's even better!

Kill: Need For Speed. Oh, boy. There hasn't been a dyed-in-the-wool NFS since...Hot Pursuit 2010 (surprise, surprise, guess what just re-released last year?). Every NFS since is EA trying desperately to catch lightning in a bottle with rehashes, unnecessary cutscenes with the stupidest, most unrelatable characters in the history of time and space, music no one wants to listen to, and driving physics that can't decide if it wants to be a sim or arcade racer. All of this without actually bothering to understand what made things like NFS Most Wanted (2005), Hot Pursuit, Underground, Porsche Unleashed, etc fun in the first place.

Replace: Project Gotham Racing. This franchise died such an unceremonious death. PGR is still a benchmark for racing game audio and the last game released in 2007! Granted, Driveclub exists and is very much a spiritual successor in almost every possible way but it ended up with a very, very similar fate. It had interactable garages, arcade cabinets (Geometry Wars, ftw!), and is solely responsible for my interest in classical music. I'm specifically talking about PGR3 here, but I've played them all and I love them all.

Grid.
It has always disappointed me and it never really captured the touring car vibe. So you’ll probably know where this is going.

Toca
These games focussed on real touring car races. I now they are currently working on a btcc game so I hope they deliver. But man would I love to see another Toca game.

Assassin's Creed.
I kinda want to link a youtube video that does a way better job than i will ever do at explaining what how awful the later titles became but sadly the video is in Arabic so...
I wasn't that huge fan of the series but the older ones were pretty good.

Midnight Club.
As it silly as it sounds, i still believe that the 2000's were the golden age for racing games and driving ones in general. Midnight Club was one of those that unfortunately died by the end of the decade. If you ask anyone over here in the gulf about first PS2 games that comes to mind, there are likely going to be a surprising amount of mentions of MC3 Remix along the lines of GTA's, PES's, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Tekken, WWE SVR and so on. Probably even more so than NFS or Burnout from the same era oddly enough. MC3 is essentially R* attempt at outdoing NFS Underground's by featuring amazing mixture of cars with heavy customization, over 100+ of songs ranging from rather cheesy but memorable hiphop, period correct D&B and 2000s era rock, fun wacky arcadey physics, actual challenging racing and 4 different maps to mess around with.

The 4th and final title, MCLA, was sadly a commerical failure and thanks to terrible management at R* San Diego and the massive success of RDR1, it meant that any hope of a 5th new title were all but abandoned. Shame really because i think it's better than The Crew, FH4 or modern NFS games imo.

I'd kill all off that keep interrupting me with info on what button too press and what it does and replace them with games with a manual that were also a good read

I had a good one, but then I thought of a great (read: controversial) one that's even better!

Kill: Need For Speed. Oh, boy. There hasn't been a dyed-in-the-wool NFS since...Hot Pursuit 2010 (surprise, surprise, guess what just re-released last year?). Every NFS since is EA trying desperately to catch lightning in a bottle with rehashes, unnecessary cutscenes with the stupidest, most unrelatable characters in the history of time and space, music no one wants to listen to, and driving physics that can't decide if it wants to be a sim or arcade racer. All of this without actually bothering to understand what made things like NFS Most Wanted (2005), Hot Pursuit, Underground, Porsche Unleashed, etc fun in the first place.

Replace: Project Gotham Racing. This franchise died such an unceremonious death. PGR is still a benchmark for racing game audio and the last game released in 2007! Granted, Driveclub exists and is very much a spiritual successor in almost every possible way but it ended up with a very, very similar fate. It had interactable garages, arcade cabinets (Geometry Wars, ftw!), and is solely responsible for my interest in classical music. I'm specifically talking about PGR3 here, but I've played them all and I love them all.
Oh wow, I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks NFS needs to be killed off already. That's something I have felt for quite some time here lately and it was one of the first things I planned on posting here. (which I'll post about later) Never played PGR, but it always looked interesting to me and now I am sitting here wondering why I haven't already decided to pursue it.
Assassin's Creed.
I kinda want to link a youtube video that does a way better job than i will ever do at explaining what how awful the later titles became but sadly the video is in Arabic so...
I wasn't that huge fan of the series but the older ones were pretty good.

Midnight Club.
As it silly as it sounds, i still believe that the 2000's were the golden age for racing games and driving ones in general. Midnight Club was one of those that unfortunately died by the end of the decade. If you ask anyone over here in the gulf about first PS2 games that comes to mind, there are likely going to be a surprising amount of mentions of MC3 Remix along the lines of GTA's, PES's, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Tekken, WWE SVR and so on. Probably even more so than NFS or Burnout from the same era oddly enough. MC3 is essentially R* attempt at outdoing NFS Underground's by featuring amazing mixture of cars with heavy customization, over 100+ of songs ranging from rather cheesy but memorable hiphop, period correct D&B and 2000s era rock, fun wacky arcadey physics, actual challenging racing and 4 different maps to mess around with.

The 4th and final title, MCLA, was sadly a commerical failure and thanks to terrible management at R* San Diego and the massive success of RDR1, it meant that any hope of a 5th new title were all but abandoned. Shame really because i think it's better than The Crew, FH4 or modern NFS games imo.
I too want MC to come back, but seems kind odd to kill of Assassins Creed for it when it's not even vaguely related to MC.
I'd kill all off that keep interrupting me with info on what button too press and what it does and replace them with games with a manual that were also a good read
While I do wish manuals would come back, let's not forget, we're talking about replacing one series with another. ;)

Grid.
It has always disappointed me and it never really captured the touring car vibe. So you’ll probably know where this is going.

Toca
These games focussed on real touring car races. I now they are currently working on a btcc game so I hope they deliver. But man would I love to see another Toca game.
Good news, a BTCC title is on the cards for later this year.

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-btcc-game-details-20200811/

https://www.gtplanet.net/a-british-...ame-is-coming-in-2021-succeeds-original-toca/

Last edited:
Kill Need for Speed and bring back Midnight Club.
I am going to be very blunt about this, I don't hate NFS, but I simply cannot get excited for the series anymore and have reached the point where I don't care if it continues any further. I used to be a big fan of NFS, but nowadays, if I woke up one morning and learned they weren't making them anymore, I wouldn't even be all that bothered. In fact, part of me feels it should have died a long time ago.

Midnight Club on the other hand, while it ain't quite the same as NFS and is a much smaller series, I have totally enjoyed every MC game I have played and I would be beyond thrilled if it ever had any chance of coming back at all. I think the next generation really needs a new MC game and it should be given another chance. I would much rather see MC come back than to see NFS continue.

I wouldn't mind killing off Ghost Recon to get Splinter Cell back. I think Ghost Recon series itself is practically running on fumes anyway, so why not just kill it off and bring back more interesting series that could really use a sequel?

Last edited:
I would gladly kill off Call of Duty in order to bring back the Myst series.

I haven't cared for a call of duty since World at War. I'm not big into online fps games and don't find the short campaigns in the more recent CoD games to be worth the money.

The Myst series on the other hand created worlds I could get completely immersed in. Riven is still in my top 5 games of all time, and I still listen to that OST. The lore the Millers' created for that myst universe was great.
Hopefully you've seen this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obduction_(video_game)

Played it in VR a few years back and it definitely gave me the Myst feels.

I wouldn't mind killing off Ghost Recon to get Splinter Cell back. I think Ghost Recon series itself is practically running on fumes anyway, so why not just kill it off and bring back more interesting series that could really use a sequel?
Nowadays GR and SC are the same, most likely they will merge titles into one game in form of big crossover. We can only hope that it would not be a bugfest like WL and BP.

As for the tradein, Dead space > Starwars under EA. Dice should focus on Battlefield and Respawn should bring back Deadspace.

Ok lets see

Cod for another Black I liked what Criterion what doing at least I think it was them
Trade the Crew for another Ridge racer like 6 7
Bloodstained for another Legacy Of Kain
Burnout for the return of Blur

Kill off the Fast and Furious games and bring back Midnight Club.
Kill off the NBA 2K series and bring back NBA Jam.
Kill off NASCAR Heat (704Games) and bring back NASCAR Racing (Papyrus).
Kill off OnRush (if it's not already dead) and bring back Mororstorm.

Assuming the deal between Universal Studios and Slightly Mad Studios is on-going, I would absolutely kill the Fast & Furious series in favour of Project Gotham Racing.

Unpopular opinion time: Kill off WRC series for a new Shox Rally.

Kill COD and reboot the Heretic series.
Kill F1 and allow all the other sim devs access to the intellectual property.
Kill NASCAR Heat and allow all the other sim devs access to the intellectual property.

Kill COD and reboot the Heretic series.
Kill F1 and allow all the other sim devs access to the intellectual property.
Kill NASCAR Heat and allow all the other sim devs access to the intellectual property.
Heretic, huh? That series was one I grew up with, as far as FPS are concerned. Doom was more popular at the time, but Heretic and Hexen were the ones I liked better. Would be cool to see it come back.

I would gladly kill The Witcher in order to have a quality Mass Effect game back.

Also, while I enjoy their games, I would swap RIDE for a new Tourist Trophy.

Last edited:
Kill Forza Horizon. If PG won't evolve it out of the rut it occupies (I hope that's what they're doing with the franchise pause), remove it to release oxygen for the open world driving/racing market it squashed and then squatted upon, together with GTAV absorbing Midnight Club.

Bring back Shutokou Battle / Kaido Battle / Tokyo Xtreme Racer (and do it better than before, lol). Was the fascination with this corner of car culture limited to a fad in the '00s or what? What happened to games with this kind of content? Is there not a whole generation of us who grew up with that, and are now shoehorning pieces of those experiences into moddable sims like Assetto Corsa?

Kill Final Fantasy. It is a husk of its former self and SquareEnix have lost it. The most well-received recent FF is an incomplete remake of the most popular retro FF, that they couldn't deliver all in one because their epic cinematic ambitions are too big and expensive. That's a clue.

Bring back Seiken Densetsu. Trials of Mana -- which I am not counting, as a remake of the third game on SNES -- was rough around the edges but is very fun to play, charming, and surprisingly innovative for a remake of a relatively unknown game. It goes to show what SquareEnix could do with Final Fantasy with a firm restraint on visuals and a gameplay-first philosophy.

I would also kill Project cars since in its state now for PGR would love to see a PC port of one of those games in the future if possible.
Same goes for Grid for a new Toca game maybe Toca race driver 4 would love to see a new simcadish racing game with stuff like cutscenes a story
and wacky unlockable stuff like Monster Trucks, lawn mowers ect...

Last edited:
Kill Need For Speed - The series is tired and has completely run out of ideas trying to please both old-fashioned Hot Pursuit traditionalists and toxic Underground kids.

Bring back Burnout - The series is desperate for a proper comeback and not a cut-and-paste asset flip like Dangerous Driving is. Revenge is one of the greatest games of all time and could really do with a full successor.

Last edited:
Bye bye gran turismo sport hello gran turismo offline mode. That would be my choice. Some games suit online play but racing isn't one of them.

Also would bring back the stealth genre and would bin all these battle royale games. Man you used to have the hitman, deus ex and all sorts. Now its all fortnite and warzone etc. I know what i would rather play.

Kill EA's Star Wars Battlefront series and bring back Pandemic's Star Wars Battlefront series.
I got EA's Battlefront with my PS4 back in 2015 and I gave it an honest chance and while I initially enjoyed it, I eventually got so bored with the game after playing it for awhile, I gave up on it and haven't went back to it since. Maybe I am being a bit prejudice, but while I haven't played EA's Battlefront II yet and it does seem more promising than the first from what I have seen, I can't say I am all that excited about it.

Pandemic's Battlefront games on the other hand is a series that despite it's age, I can still find a reason to play again to this day. In fact if you had to ask me what my top 5 favorite games of all time would be, Pandemic's Battlefront II would undoubtedly be somewhere on that list. I'd love to see them comeback and make a sequel to their Battlefront II game on modern hardware. They could either make a new Battlefront game or pick up where Free Radical left off with the canceled Battlefront III, I'd take either one.

Back