• Thread starter Duke
  • 10 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
I took advantage of a small window of early-evening opportunity to knock off one of my last tasks on the approach to 100% in my first game. With the family enjoying a Brownie/Girl Scout hay ride (my wife too; she's a co-leader), I had the house to myself in a slot when I wasn't wasting precious sack time. I decided to head to Rome for the 2-hour enduro.

I knew from past reading that the TVR Griffith was likely to be the hot shoe, but that he would pit a lot. I didn't have much time for research, so I headed to the Ruf dealer and picked up a lemon-yellow 3400s, aka "Superboxster". On the way to the track I changed the oil and stopped off for T2 (just in case) and T4 tires (on the car).

The Griffith must have been under teardown, because he never cleared the tech shed. The other competitors and I gave him 3 or 4 chances, but he never showed. With daylight fading, we headed out to qualify for a quick field check. The first hot lap showed my Boxster to be about 0.3" slower than a well-sorted red Clio Sport, so the crew chief recommended we take the spot and sort out the pit strategy on the fly.

The opening laps showed the still-factory-tight Boxster to be well matched to the Clio. We diced back and forth over 3 long laps, before I was able to capture the lead for keeps with a clean pass under braking at the end of the back straight. Even then, the next three laps featured Clio headlights in my mirror. He pitted out from behind me at the end of lap 6, giving us the vital statistics the crew needed to set the schedule. Having passed the pit for lap 6, I stayed out one more circuit. The T4s had at least another lap in them, but the plan was to match the Clio's schedule in hopes of maintaining a close battle. I emerged from the pits at the start of lap 8, directly alongside the Clio. Again we diced for 3 laps or so, and again I had a small (but slightly bigger) margin when the 6th lap rolled around. This time I pitted about 1.mid" in front of him, though my tires were still good. That set the pace for the remaining 60-odd laps.

We proceeded to repeat this process every 6 laps, with the red Clio falling gradually behind at every pit as the Boxster's engine loosened up a little and began to get its head.

Now a break for a word from our sponsors!

We're back after that long pause for station identification...

Starting on lap 12, I pitted every 6 laps to match the Clio's schedule. On T4s I could have gone to 7 laps each and dropped a pit, but I was steadily pulling ahead anyway. Also, unlike other occasions, none of the slower cars was gaining despite longer pit intervals - most running 19-21 laps between tire changes.

I encountered lap traffic on 23, as the bright yellow Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus fell off the lead lap. A few laps later saw the Peugot 206 fall, followed by the Audi S4 and last the BMW 328ci. The Bimmer went down right at the 60-minute halfway mark on lap 37. At this point the Clio was a respectable 20 seconds behind me, the only other car still on the lead lap.

Somehow, the 4 back markers got bunched up, because I emerged from the pits on lap 60 to find myself behind all 4 of them. This perked up the second half of the race, giving me the opportunity to pass them all again through traffic.

As the clock was winding down, I stuck to the Clio's pit schedule, even pitting on lap 72 on tires that would have made it to the end gun. The Clio finally fell off the lead lap when he pitted on his 72nd circuit, my 73rd and the white-flag lap. The clock ran to 120 minutes as I was in the downtown sector of my 74th lap.

Results

Margin: +1 lap, Clio Sport; +3 laps, 328ci, S4; +4 laps, 206; +5 laps, Fiat Coupe (sorry ving)
Total time: 120':48.493"
Fast lap: 1':32.254"
Average lap: 1':37.952" with a whopping 12 pits

This awarded me 300 kcr and another Vertigo race car - nice but redundant. It also bumped me to 97.1% completion with only Laguna, the Pro FR, and the Formula GT left. I'm planning on going for the "fourpeat" F1 ending. Thanks for tuning in!

Wicked report Duke 👍 Nice to see someone who still has the time to do anything but the Weeklys :D

Cool!

only three things to go!!! You can do it!!!

I'm only 41.7% of the game, I'm not busy with winning but tuning of my loved car collection...

Awesome job there. :) 👍

At least you got somewhat of a decent car at the end. I did the SSR11 enduro a couple of days ago and won myself a "whopping" MR-S Autobacs or whatever. I was ever so thrilled. :irked:
I did the race for kicks too, I had gold on it already.

Originally posted by neon_duke

Total time: 120':48.493"
Fast lap: 1':32.254"
Average lap: 1':37.952" with a whopping 12 pits

... I'm planning on going for the "fourpeat" F1 ending. Thanks for tuning in!

You're welcome!

Questions:
Are you removing time for pits when you calculate 'average lap'? (after doing the math) I guess not - so your laps are actually REALLY consistant. That's pretty cool man.

The 'fourpeat' - I mentioned that a long while back and assumed I was the first to even consider it. Has anyone pulled it off yet? I've seen lots of people talking about it since then. One easy way to achieve it would be to race the last nine races as singles getting gold in each. That way you just have to get first on the first one then maintain a point lead for the rest of the series.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Questions:
Are you removing time for pits when you calculate 'average lap'? (after doing the math) I guess not - so your laps are actually REALLY consistant. That's pretty cool man.
Yes, I include pit times in the total average. I simply take the total ET and divide by the number of laps. I should actually try it with the pit allowance removed and see what it comes out to.
The 'fourpeat' - I mentioned that a long while back and assumed I was the first to even consider it. Has anyone pulled it off yet? I've seen lots of people talking about it since then. One easy way to achieve it would be to race the last nine races as singles getting gold in each. That way you just have to get first on the first one then maintain a point lead for the rest of the series.
Yes, I believe it has been pulled off, by Der Alta among others. I've been debating what to do here. I'm not sure what's in my stable of F1 cars at the moment, but it's pretty slim. I believe I have the F094/S, but I don't know about the F688. So I may pre-run the Test Curse race in the Escudo or something with huge horsepower, since I know the 6 cyl cars dominate there. That would allow me to run the F094 in the series, which is all-around faster.

RVD, that's a good suggestion. I don't have a Griffith currently and as I wrap up the game I'm trying to use lots of cars I've never driven. I tried it in the stock AC Cobra with predictable results...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Originally posted by neon_duke
So I may pre-run the Test Curse race in the Escudo or something with huge horsepower, since I know the 6 cyl cars dominate there. That would allow me to run the F094 in the series, which is all-around faster.

I would seriously concider finishing off a few more of the later races just to insure 10 golds.

I don't have a Griffith currently and as I wrap up the game I'm trying to use lots of cars I've never driven. I tried it in the stock AC Cobra with predictable results...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I'm getting a lot of the same feeling my second time around. I've told myself that I'm not allowed to spend any money, not even for oil changes. That way I can only use the cars I win, and even then I can't use them for long. It's very ... educating (:

Back