I'm getting a new game soon...

• Thread starter Voltron
  • 26 comments
So, could you rate these to help me decide? I'm pretty sure which ones are at the top of the list for me but I haven't played them yet and could use some experienced advice, thanks.

I'll probably rent them first anyways... ;)

All PS2

Final Fantasy X
World Rally Challenge
Formula One 2001
F1 2001
GTA3
Nascar Heat

Well this makes it pretty easy as I have all of those games. WRC is OK, but not really all that great of a game. (Especially after playing Rallisport Challenge)
The 2 F1 games aren't really worth the time (I have the Sony game, my friend has the EA game - and I have it on Xbox) They each have their merits, but the graphics are poor, and the gameplay isn't all that realistic.
Nascar Heat is pretty cool, no complaints there...
GTA3 is great, but gets really repetitive over time. You'll find yourself running around causing mayhem for a few minutes and then shutting down the console.
FFX is amazing, but you have to like RPG's. It's the best RPG anywhere, so If you do like them, run to the store and get it, you won't be dissapointed.
If you want the mayhem though GTA3 is one of the best games out there...

Thanks everyone so far for your input. I was thinking WRC, GTA3, Nascar or, of course, FFX. I like role playing games quite a bit and surely I won't mind the graphics in FFX. I did have a question about GTA3 gameplay so I'll rent it tomorrow and keep your comment in mind Tom, thanks!

Vat Man: How long have you played GTA3?

As for Nascar, well, suppose I'll have to rent that one too. I've also considered Nascar Heat for the PC so that may be a separate purchase...

I read a few articles on the F1 games so I may rent them and reconsider them in the near future, just not for this purchase. Can't see myself not buying them though because I'd like to compare em to the better Formula racers that are sure to come out in the future.

Actually, why not rent WRC tomorrow as well and make a good two days of PS2... yeah, there is my plan! Serious research!

Tom: Would you happen to know anything about State of Emergency? I hear it's a good 'mayhem' game... not really considering it though. Just seems different and cool.

Any more suggestions anyone?

I've GTA3 since late November. There's a lot more depth to the game than just thuggery - you can drive taxis, firetrucks, and police cars on bonus missions.

If you rent it you'll be limited to one island, but it's still pretty damn impressive.

I think the EA F1 game is over-rated - I wasn't impressed with the 2000 version, and the 2001 edition doesn't seem much better.

WRC has great physics but is very limited - and far too easy. I won the hardest level championship first go.

I'm not familiar with FFX - not my style of game.

Excellent input, thanks!

Yeah, I'll probably stear clear of the F1 games for now then.

Hope someone does a good Rally game for PS2 soon! Aargh! I love Rally and I'll probably never buy XBox!

Actually, just on the F1 simulators, I think you're probably better sticking to the PC games - I'm running GP3, and with the support you can find on-line at fan sites people are putting together circuits, new car skins, improved physics - I even got a download that changes all the in-car data and replays to the same as the FIA broadcasts - looks great!

Well Nascar Heat and Nascar racing season 2002 are both amazing on the PC. I'd definitely go for those on the PC's instead of the console versions.
Plus Colin McRae is coming out this year, and so is Grand Prix 4 (PC)
If you want good rally games check out Colin McRae 2.0 for the PC, or Rally Trophy on the PC (this one only uses older cars though, so see if you can handle that before you buy it)
And thanks for the heads up on GP3 vat_man, I had no idea that you could get all of that... I'll have to bust out my copy and give it another go. (There really hasn't been a comparable game as good as GP3 :( )

Originally posted by Voltron
So, could you rate these to help me decide? I'm pretty sure which ones are at the top of the list for me but I haven't played them yet and could use some experienced advice, thanks.

I'll probably rent them first anyways... ;)

All PS2

Final Fantasy X
World Rally Challenge
Formula One 2001
F1 2001
GTA3
Nascar Heat

don't get formula 1 2001 that game will eventually be replaced with 2002 edition either that its bloody hard and schumacher keeps on killing me

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
What does he beat you to death with his steering wheel?

look he is so damn hard is it so hard for you to understand that

I'll playa on gt tonight I know your still online when your ment to put stuff on your database

Originally posted by Voltron

Tom: Would you happen to know anything about State of Emergency? I hear it's a good 'mayhem' game... not really considering it though. Just seems different and cool.

Any more suggestions anyone?

Sorry I missed this... SOE is OK, but mostly as a Rental. There's not enough going for this game to really give it a strong reccomendation. Dynasty Warriors 3 is a similar type game, and I think overall better for a beat-em up. (Plus it is 2 player Cooperative)
My big Reccomendations if your just looking for good games in general are (In no particular order)
Time Crisis2 / Vampire nights. (Guncon Games, but need to be played on tube TV's, not Projection TVs - although some might work)
Baldur's Gate Dark alliance. Great Game, even better with 2 players. Plus it has amazing graphics.
Twisted Metal Black. Great game, can be bought for 19.99 (US) and also has good 2 player.
Wipeout Fusion. Comes out in the US on the 17th of May. I haven't played it yet, but am looking forward to some high powered racing.
If I think of anything else I'll mention it. :)

Get either Formula One 2001 by Sony or FFX or GTA3 :)

I think u meant World Rally Championship (WRC) its good, but not what you expect.

Ok, guys, thanks! It's nearing purchase time for me as my rentals run out (rented FFX and GTA3). Boy, FFX sure gets corny, although, the graphics are pretty tight! Say, are you supposed to be able to pass that first Blitzball Tourney?
I'd have to pick GTA3 out of the two. I loved stealing that cop car!!!

Tom:
man you've been so much help with this. Twisted Metal Black was the second or third game I bought cause I've always been a fan of the series... it's a pretty great game graphically(TM 3 is my fav). I had heard about Dark Alliance but am willing to wait till next round for that one. Don't know much about the other ones so I'll be sure to include those in my next purchase decision (May 17th??). Anyhow, I think I may just have to settle for renting the F1 racers for now and wait for the next installment of such a game.

F2002:
Looks llike you're right about World Rally Challenge, most people seem to be dissapointed by it... so I'll probably just wait for Colin McRae or go get GP3(thanks vat_man! I'm definitely curious), if I can find it.

Think I'm goin with GTA3... but will try to check out Baulders Gate for a change of pace.

I didnt win the first blitzball tourny. I beat that game and i loved every minute. It toook me around like 93 hours but that is cause i did almost everything you can do in that game and all my people can hit for about like 66666-99999. I love gta3 but i have moved on to transworld surf for xbox cause i have both. I would probably recommend ffx if you have tons of time to put into it but if you dont go for gta3. :D :D

GTA3 is a great choice, it's one of the most unique, and best games ever. It has the most complete city environments of any game yet. And you can interact with pretty much everything...

And yes you can win the first blitzball game. It took me quite a few tries though (Almost won it on my first 3 though.... so close...) On the ship voyage, you need to successfully do the Jecht sphere shot (don't need to really, but it helps) This adds the shot to your skills in the Blitzball games, and helps out tremendously. The key to the game is eating up time, and passing. Once you get one goal, they will make a B-line toward yours, so do everything you can to prevent that, and then keep passing the ball around using up the clock. (Plus you will gain levels inbetween halves by controlling the ball while the other team does not. :D) Then with a little luck you'll win :)
(And I can't even remember what I got for winning, but it wasn't all that amazing)

Well, I went with GTA3... this game rocks! It's got driving, meyhem, storyline, death... and did I say driving! Yeah, after renting FFX twice, I beat it so now it's time to get into GTA3... man I've got too much time on my hands ;)

I'll probably have questions and will probably just go to the GTA3 forum but anything you want to add here that you had problems with would be fine by me. Later!

Back