IMSA-Where’s The Beef

United States
U.S.A.
No Ford GT’s, No McLarens, only one AMG at Daytona 24, many more sports car and exotic manufacturers not represented, etc etc etc, and more and more Prototypes which imho are not really sports cars and belong at Le Mans. I mean when is the last time you saw a car resembling a Caddy or Mazda Proto on the street. I suppose I should be thankful though for the new Corvette’s...

Last edited:
Prototypes have been a part of Daytona’s history since the beginning.

No McLarens because for the last several years, McLaren haven’t had a very good GT program. There’s limited numbers of them running globally, and from what I’ve heard, they’re not easy to drive, and have reliability issues. Why would someone invest money in that platform when there are dozens of other options, many of them much more successful? That’s a McLaren problem, not an IMSA problem.

Not sure why this needs its own thread.

Yes they have been part of the ROLEX 24 since forever, but that still doesn’t make them true “sports cars” in this purist’s eyes... hence this threads main point... imagine this years same field numbers, without the protos, but with 4 GT classes instead. If protos are sports cars I guess we might as well run Formulas along with NASCARS...

Last edited:
As for the lack of Ford GTs, I’m pretty sure that Ford announced that 2019 would be the last year of their GT program when they kicked it off.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I also think that the GTs were only for the WEC with a few more cars running for Le Mans.

Back