In the Depths of the Forest

Costa Rica
Costa Rica
D_Shark10
Disclaimer: Bear in mind this is my first and probably only attempt at a write-up, things like times and all specifics included in other write-ups I didn't add because I'm lacking most of the information now. If you want the juicy stuff, scroll down to where it says “at lap 8”.
Okay, here we go:
Race: Arcade Mode - Single Race – Professional (10 laps)
Track: Deep Forest II
My Car: RUF RGT, picked from the “A” class listing of cars. “Manual”, “Racing” setup (had I chosen “Drift” this race would not have been the same)
My Contenders: Tuscan Speed 6, Griffith 500, Corvette ZO6, Motor Sport Elise, Elise 190.

As the reds went off and the greens went on I immediately found the crude performance of my stock RGT to be less than desired. Nevertheless the competition would be tight.
By the first turn I had already nabbed the lead. I was having trouble getting adjusted to the car though, finding out how much and where I could push it. At the back ‘straightaway’ the Tuscan and me were already separating ourselves form the pack.

As mentioned before, I was still feeling out the car, so the series of turns after the ‘straight’ were a little awkward; by the last tunnel of the track the Tuscan had caught up and we were side-by-side. Into the immediately following 2nd gear turn we went, the Tuscan on the inside took the lead and very slowly began pulling away, I was afraid of him growing a lead so upon exiting the hairpin I tucked in behind him and drafted in absolute perfect harmony all the way through the front straight. That was it for lap 1.

As we approached the first turn once again I expected the Speed 6 to brake much earlier than necessary, which he did except he had the inside all covered up, and I didn’t feel like throwing away the experience by dishonestly cutting through the grass.

This was racing.

I took to the outside while braking at the last possible second; both of us tore up some grass while finishing our apexes. At the second, longer, turn the Tuscan always took a very odd line and stayed way high up drawing a huge apex, while I took to the most reasonable route and stayed on the inside, though this was a 4th gear turn I always found it best to take it in 3rd ‘cause of the added torque. Once again we were door to door as we hammered the throttle on both our machines at the beginning of the twisted back ‘straightaway’, I had a much better momentum however from taking a cleaner line before and reclaimed the lead. I came in way too hot at the following 3rd gear turn after the ‘straight’ and had to slam on the brakes and even get the car to slide a bit to help slow me down.

All this was quite clumsy and the Tuscan reassured me that by bumping quite hard into my rear bumper. My tires were on their spot-on temperature by now, therefore I had grip enough to produce a 3 sec. lead over my British rival at the front straight. In this lap (lap 3) however, things turned sour as again I came in way too fast into the first turn, I had a recommended shift change of 4th gear into this turn. After smashing hard into the wall on the outside I decided 3rd would work much better next time around.

The Tuscan was catching up quick so I took an even tighter apex at the second turn, perhaps too tight since I hit the guardrail, at the end of the turn, at a 45-degree angle, which made me loose even more speed and let the Tuscan pass me, I was able to once again to pass him at the left bend after the second-last tunnel.

Beginning lap 4 my front tires were on one of their ‘citrus’ shades. Throughout this lap I held the lead by less than a second. At the turn following the last tunnel my tires were too worn to help keep my line and I hit the dirt ‘wall’ on the outside, the Speed 6 took this as an opportunity to pass me, I ducked into the pits while the TVR carried on. Reaching the first split after pitting I was +0’17.058. By the time I reached the hairpin again I was passing the Motor Sport Elise (who seemingly hadn’t pitted yet and had the best tire wear rate throughout the race) and the Tuscan was in the pits. Things stayed uneventful throughout laps 6 and 7. I had a nice lead.

At lap 8 my lead had grown to 9 seconds. I would need to pit my RGT at the end of this lap though, and the ‘2nd place’ Speed 6 would most likely stay out until the end of the race. In lap 9, upon pitting the TVR blew by me and when I came out I had to make up almost 7 seconds in the 2 remaining laps.

I was on a mad dash trying to cut back on the time difference, surely enough he didn’t pit next time around. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t have either, we had one lap to go. I was +0’04.013 when I crossed the line beginning lap 10.
It had been a while since I had to use my full potential in GT3. :D

I kept cutting back on his lead… +3 seconds… +2 seconds. At the left bend after the second-last tunnel I saw how bad his tires were performing as he went much too wide; exiting the next, tighter, turn I think he clipped the dirt ‘wall’ just a tad, he was out of line nonetheless. I drafted him on the small twisty section before the hill leading down to the hairpin; while side-by-side our cars separated themselves from the track the tiniest bit and flew through the air at the hill en route to the hairpin. I took to the inside and grabbed the lead while my tires squealed in protest at my sudden heavy braking and steering, midways through the hairpin I felt the TVR nudge me a couple of times with his front bumper, at exiting we both went a little wide, the Tuscan had less grip though and went wider losing more momentum. I crossed the finish line at a time of 14’32.697 with the Tuscan Speed 6 coming across +0’01.296 later.

There you have it. I hope it was worth reading and that it wasn’t too long/boring/[place another demeaning adjective here]. And in the unlikely happening it wasn’t too much I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Duke: I did forget to add my best lap time actually. I believe it was 1:21.055, which I did on lap 9 while chasing the TVR with all 379 hp the RGT could offer. Glad you liked it.

Excellent work, Stratos. My first experience with the RGT was at Deep Forest, also. Despite the Germanic feel of the course, I never was happy with the RGT there. But since then I've run it nearly everywhere else and it's two or three of my favorite cars.

Your writeup is great and gives a real feel for the action. Lap times and total times are good additions if you have them, but the narrative alone was a good read.

Pro arcade races are so much fun. At first I thought "10 laps?! With no reward of any kind? :irked:"
Now I only race Pro in Arcade, with the occasional enduro in sim mode to keep in shape. :D

Great Write-Up!!!
:D Keep 'em comin'. I just recently "Re-discovered" Pro-Arcade myself. Have been having lots of fun w/"Mildbrid" building & Pro-Arcade automatically sets up a pretty good match race. Haven't yet figured out if GT3 uses your car's P/W ratio or what. Doesn't ALWAYS yield a good race but usually does. Thanx...UB57
:D

Now that's what I call a compliment. :embarrassed: :D Thank you.
You will not regret, in the least bit, getting GT3 or a PS2 for that matter, believe you me. It's an investment, not a purchase. ;)

Back