Incentivized arms race to build the heaviest, largest cars continues.

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 98 comments
The T6 transporter actually was available with AWD. The CX9 looks good from some angles (like that one) but kind of ungainly from others. The utility advantage of sliding doors is huge.
My only conclusion is that MPVs aren't badass enough for America.
Roo
For reference, in the UK the speed limit on motorways/dual carriageways when towing a trailer is 60mph. Some of the small trailer tyres (10 or even 8 inch diameter) like the ones I have on a little flatbed I own are only rated to 50mph, so the fact it's being towed by a 1.3 litre Suzuki Wagon R doesn't really matter. A quick search suggests continental European countries are roughly similar, in the 50-62mph (80-100kph) range, depending on trailer and train weight. Obviously cars but to this standard wouldn't work in the USA where the towing speed limits are much higher.
Excuse me? I must not be familiar with what you're driving these days lol. Did you import a Wagon R to the UK? That's one whole kei car.

But you've got me curious and now I'm shopping for an Ignis. I want it bad.

Excuse me? I must not be familiar with what you're driving these days lol. Did you import a Wagon R to the UK? That's one whole kei car.

But you've got me curious and now I'm shopping for an Ignis. I want it bad.
It's not a 1.3 litre kei car, that's for sure!

It's a UK car. I bought it for £350 when I was working in a scrapyard in 2018; it had done 68,000 miles then. That was 5 years and 52,000 miles ago. Yesterday it passed its MOT so it's good for another year. Took it to the Nurburgring last November for a laugh.

They sell Kei cars in Europe with larger engines. They sold a Pajero Mini with big fender flares and a larger engine and called it Pajero Junior, for example.

Last edited:
They sell Kei cars in Europe with larger engines. They sold a Pajero Mini with big fender flares and a larger engine and called it Pajero Junior, for example.
Isn't there a Kei version of the Jimny? I love those damn things.

Isn't there a Kei version of the Jimny? I love those damn things.
Pretty sure the second and third gen Jimnys were actually kei cars, and the current fourth gen has a kei version in Japan, without the fender flares. Technically the fender flare version, the standard Euro version, is the special "Sierra" version in Japan.

Daihatsu dabbled a bit and imported a handful of the ‘fast’ turbo, 4WD Miras over here in the UK, and they sold the Copen as is for a good few years until having to swap its engine for something a bit more in line with EU emission standards. But yeah, usually when Kei cars made the jump to Europe, they ditch the 660cc engines and replaced them with 1.0 or 1.3s that were already use in something else on sale.

Surprised Meme GIF

"Oh no, the consequences of our actions."
I've seen studies and youtube videos like this for a while now. Trouble is the people who this is targeted at either won't read it or they'll reject it and carry on driving their quad-cab pickup for a one-person commute to work while carrying nothing in the back.

The sheer excessiveness of the average car now is scary.

Back