Fanatec V3 or V3i brake pedal, Increase rumble/vibration

• Thread starter Rob Brown
  • 18 comments

Would you like the V3 brake pedal rumble to be stronger?

• Would you like the three brake pedal rumble to be stronger?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
Updated 12-21-2021: I have developed a simple piggyback system/circuit to increase vibrations on the stock rumble motors on brake and throttle pedals!
The existing 4.6v voltage signal that normally powers the rumble motor(s) is now used to trigger a higher voltage source via a BJT transistor (2N2222 NPN). I used a 3 dollar 9v, 1 amp DC power supply off Amazon. I use a potentiometer to set the voltage of the rumble motor.
EFF16CA5-18A7-432A-93D4-F32EF6C7A4C5.jpeg
Increasing voltage from 4.6 to around 6 volts allows me to [now unmistakably] feel the vibration through my foot.
In the picture, “P” denotes the potentiometer bought thru Amazon for $7 for two. It is the bulk of the setup, coming on a circuit board. The “t” is the tiny transistor that uses the 4.6v source to “turn on” or trigger the higher voltage source. The “d” is the Schottky diode that allows the rumble motor to safely run down without putting voltage back to the system like a generator. The leads are JST-XH and are marked; power, motor and brake signal. (The transistor, diode and 3 JST connectors are neatly soldered to the potentiometer board).
All these components are very inexpensive, so much so that they aren’t sold except in higher quantities. I soldered the diode, transistor and connectors directly to the potentiometer board for a clean looking solution.
B31CBB58-D31D-4312-8B78-5068B1C30DF5.jpeg
FA713637-222C-4E74-8411-056C01E83235.jpeg

EBD60227-8478-4CB6-A480-694F517DAF3A.jpeg
445AC129-D1CD-41D5-A144-7D044DD1BA2C.jpeg
64E5E49C-6DE7-4323-92F7-CF84CFC73733.jpeg

C3E892E4-5EB2-40C5-B387-D10105A5EA9C.jpeg
0AA1C30B-47F1-4D8D-8D32-396B3C20FD3B.jpeg
Below is what I wrote in earlier (9-2021) attempt: Increase rumble intensity by loosening the bolt holding the rumble motor to the pedal. Leave slight gap in the clamp (adjust gap to your liking) and use blue loctite to keep it there. Don’t worry about damage, this motor is weak. This mod increases vibration slightly and makes it audible.
A211D392-8B77-415C-9E87-F58249681942.jpeg
History: (not necessary, just background)
Are any of you technical junkies able to devise a way to deliver a voltage increase to the rumble motors?
I’ve owned and used the V3i pedals for several years. While the brake pedal rumble motor works, I am not able to feel the vibration while braking (I wear socks, no shoes). If I am not driving and only concentrating on the vibration, then I can [barely] feel the sensation. Other people notice the sensation so I believe that it works as intended. I’ve already tried 2 different approaches to add mass to the rumble device but without success as I still can’t feel the vibration. One thing I have yet to try is to loosen the rumble motor from its mount so that perhaps makes more of a ‘ruckus’. I’m willing to experiment - not worried about warranty.

Last edited:
Are any of you technical junkies able to devise a way to deliver a voltage increase to the rumble motors?
I’ve owned and used the V3i pedals for several years. While the brake pedal rumble motor works, I am not able to feel the vibration while driving (I wear socks, no shoes). If I am not driving and only concentrating on the vibration, then I can [barely] feel the sensation. Other people notice the sensation so I believe that it works as intended. I’ve already tried 2 different approaches to add mass to the rumble device but without success as I still can’t feel the vibration. One thing I have yet to try is to loosen the rumble motor from its mount so that perhaps makes more of a ‘ruckus’. I’m willing to experiment - not worried about warranty.
On my V3 brake pedal I only feel it under Braking, so you should not get a vibration while driving unless you have your foot on the brake.

Right, wording corrected. I have the vibration set at the lockup point. (I despise ABS, it’s what makes racing).

Last edited:
With it being virtually impossible to alter the Fanatec circuit board (&/or programming), one would have to devise (kind of a piggyback) system that would use the normal rumble voltage to deliver a higher voltage. Now, I just need to know how to look into developing such a system. Anybody got experience? Is it as simple as a transistor that triggers a higher voltage source? EDIT 12-2021: Yes, it is that simple. See 1st post!

Last edited:
I have successfully solved the weak rumble motor issue on the v3i brake pedal! Please refer to the top/first post! Thanks for the suggestion @niclasf Your suggestion sparked me to move forward! Thanks @Navy2k for your suggestion, it would have been used next had I not succeeded.

Not sure I understand why you did not just used 2 resistors, 1 diode and one mosfet as in the post 8 November. Resistors and diode solders straight to the mosfet. Then just connect the cables.

Great that you got it to work your way!

Not sure I understand why you did not just used 2 resistors, 1 diode and one mosfet as in the post 8 November. Resistors and diode solders straight to the mosfet. Then just connect the cables. Great that you got it to work your way!
Well, I didn’t understand that schematic completely. My control voltage (control signal) is either off or on. If it varied, then a MOSFET would have been the better choice?
The problem that I faced throughout my research is that I can’t ask questions about what isn’t explained thoroughly. After all my reading and study, I went with the simple BJT transistor solution. If I was sure what voltage to deliver to the rumble motors, I could eliminate the potentiometer but I figured the adjustability would be a nice feature.
I welcome any explanation. Please treat me like a fifth grader though!

simple question. could you clarify the connections on device (power, motor and signal)? on Fanatec standard there is only one cable that connects to the motor.

Would be possible to share the electrical diagram? Sorry I am not electrical but I see the power supply on first picture with two white connectors but I dont see the potentiometer and the connections.
I assume the 9v power supply connects via white connector to the power side on the small PCB, the motor goes to rumble motor and signal is the cable from the V3 pedal?
I am not clear how to connect the transistor and diode.

Your assessments from above are correct. Here are some close-ups of the Schottky diode and transistor and how they are connected.
0F3E5AB5-B13F-4F10-9B1B-FF5501E73DCF.jpeg
4BFF7F1B-0AB2-4124-A35A-373C84516BAF.jpeg
75B3E3AB-9C41-418D-967F-9F7454E70F33.jpeg
Here’s the diagram I used.
AE4447FC-AC70-4263-9743-AD79844D738E.jpeg
Also, the power supply has twin leads as I wanted to do the same mod to the throttle vibration motor.

One idea that confused me for quite a while was that the transistor goes on the ground side of the circuit, meaning the turning on/off of the circuit is allowing the ground to be made or left open. Early on, I was trying to incorporate on the positive side. This is what confuses me about the diagrams; they don’t show everything. They are kind of theoretical.

Last edited:
What I will do; solder the diode and (one leg of the) transistor to the potentiometer board. Solder JST pigtails to the potentiometer and transistor. Pics of result below. I’ll send via USPS. The power supply can be wired to the potentiometer with the wire clamps on the board (marked “9v”, but you can use a 12v if you have one laying around). Cost is $10. I will PM you.

BTW - for clarification: Welding is to steel as soldering is to wires and circuit boards. I have a nice soldering station from RC car days.
4CA4BF05-22DE-4EE7-A27B-562CEF5D0E3E.jpeg
02D24ACD-ACAE-44CA-A4C0-0DBAB6E489A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back