Increase rumble/vibration, Fanatec V3 or V3i brake pedal

• Thread starter Rob Brown
  • 8 comments

Would you like the V3 brake pedal rumble to be stronger?

• Would you like the three brake pedal rumble to be stronger?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
Updated 12-2021: I have developed a simple piggyback system/circuit to increase vibrations on the stock rumble motors on brake and throttle pedals! I posted a question to the forum right here back in August but since no one answered, I took it upon myself to develop it. The existing 4.6v signal that normally powers the rumble motor(s) now triggers a higher voltage source via 2N2222 NPN transistor. In the picture, I use a potentiometer because I had an old 12v power supply laying around (from a defunct external hard drive). A 9v DC power supply would suffice since increasing voltage from 4.6 to 7v allows me to feel the vibration through my foot.
64E5E49C-6DE7-4323-92F7-CF84CFC73733.jpeg
In the below picture, “P” is the potentiometer bought thru Amazon for $7 for two. It is the bulk of the setup. The “T” is the tiny transistor that uses the 4.6v source to turn on the higher voltage. The “S” is the Schottky diode that allows the rumble motor to safely run down without putting voltage back to the system like a generator. The pig tail leads are JST-XH and are marked: “5v” for the 4.6v outlet on the v3 brake circuit board. “12v” for the power supply (picture will soon be included). And “variable” for whatever voltage you want between 0 and your power supply voltage (12v in this case).
C3E892E4-5EB2-40C5-B387-D10105A5EA9C.jpeg
All these components are very inexpensive, so much so that they aren’t sold except in higher quantities. A power supply can be bought individually for as little as $3.
0AA1C30B-47F1-4D8D-8D32-396B3C20FD3B.jpeg
Below is what I wrote in earlier (9-2021) attempt: Increase rumble intensity by loosening the bolt holding the rumble motor to the pedal. Leave slight gap in the clamp (adjust gap to your liking) and use blue loctite to keep it there. Don’t worry about damage, this motor is weak. This mod increases vibration slightly and makes it audible.
A211D392-8B77-415C-9E87-F58249681942.jpeg
History: (not necessary, just background)
Are any of you technical junkies able to devise a way to deliver a voltage increase to the rumble motors?
I’ve owned and used the V3i pedals for several years. While the brake pedal rumble motor works, I am not able to feel the vibration while braking (I wear socks, no shoes). If I am not driving and only concentrating on the vibration, then I can [barely] feel the sensation. Other people notice the sensation so I believe that it works as intended. I’ve already tried 2 different approaches to add mass to the rumble device but without success as I still can’t feel the vibration. One thing I have yet to try is to loosen the rumble motor from its mount so that perhaps makes more of a ‘ruckus’. I’m willing to experiment - not worried about warranty.

Last edited:

fordlaser

Premium
Australia
Adelaide
fordlaser777
Are any of you technical junkies able to devise a way to deliver a voltage increase to the rumble motors?
I’ve owned and used the V3i pedals for several years. While the brake pedal rumble motor works, I am not able to feel the vibration while driving (I wear socks, no shoes). If I am not driving and only concentrating on the vibration, then I can [barely] feel the sensation. Other people notice the sensation so I believe that it works as intended. I’ve already tried 2 different approaches to add mass to the rumble device but without success as I still can’t feel the vibration. One thing I have yet to try is to loosen the rumble motor from its mount so that perhaps makes more of a ‘ruckus’. I’m willing to experiment - not worried about warranty.
On my V3 brake pedal I only feel it under Braking, so you should not get a vibration while driving unless you have your foot on the brake.

United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
Right, wording corrected. I have the vibration set typically 85% of pedal stroke to be notified of pending lockup as I despise ABS.

Last edited:
United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
With it being virtually impossible to alter the Fanatec circuit board (&/or programming), one would have to devise (kind of a piggyback) system that would use the normal rumble voltage to deliver a higher voltage. Now, I just need to know how to look into developing such a system. Anybody got experience? Is it as simple as a transistor that triggers a higher voltage source? EDIT 12-2021: Yes, it is that simple. See 1st post!

Last edited:
United States
Illinois
no1needs2perish
I have successfully solved the weak rumble motor issue on the v3i brake pedal! Please refer to the top/first post! Thanks for the suggestion @niclasf Your suggestion sparked me to move forward! Thanks @Navy2k for your suggestion, it would have been used next had I not succeeded.