Indycar handling on any car? Possible?

• Thread starter OmicroN
  • 24 comments
I'm too tired/lazy to do a search, so i'll just post it up here. Is it at all possible to use the standard GS2 to modify one of your standard cars to be able to drive like an indycar.

For example, I love the look of the 2003 dodge viper concept, but the handling sucks. It has good speed and good looks but nothing else to back it up. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

This shoould make the handling come close...
F1 Tires
--------------------
1C0413A8 - C007B637 1C0413AC - FE1B52D2
1C0413B0 - 58DCE3C8 1C0413B4 - B982F0B3

F1 Downforce
--------------------------
1C041274 - 1456E69B
1C041278 - 1456E69B

The cars in GT3 are Formula One cars, not IndyCars. If they were, they would be bigger, heavier, slower, and not handle as well...

I'm still amazed at what you said, Omicron. The concept handles pretty well for me, epecially when compared to the Viper GTS. I guess it's still not as good as it can be tho.

MuddinPede

Well, PD only had limited information to make the physics for the GTSR as it was still a concept in develpment when they were designing it.

Gotta love Champ Cars (better than indy). Fastest in the world...

Originally posted by Frustrated Palm
Do you even watch it? They turn just as well as F1 cars...

Not in the slightest. They are 100 to 200 kg's heavier, have a larger wheelbase, and do not have as much power. Take a look at the lap times at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. The ChampCars are on average 4-5 seconds slower per lap than their Formula One counterparts, this is just a fact that they are slower than F1 cars, and this is all tracks, except ovals of course, because F1 cars have much more downforce = more drag = slower straight line speed on a wide open oval.

Another huge factor are the tires, brakes, and technology levels. The tires in F1 are super sticky compared to the ChampCar tires, as there is no competitor in that series, they can focus on making them last, whereas in F1 Bridgestone and Michelin have to make them as fast as possible. F1 has traction control, which greatly improves exiting speed stability, and they have ultra-powerful carbon composite brakes, which are much more powerful than the ChampCar steel brakes (although the ChampCars do use carbon brakes on super speedways such as Fontana because if they used steel, they would super-heat, and explode).

:)

I don't see how that's physically possible, no offence, but I'd check your sources again... there's no way a ChampCar can be faster than Formula One car on a road/street circuit.

Taken from CART.com and F1-Live.com

CART
Track Record
Fastest Lap 8/23/2002 Cristiano da Matta 1:18.959 122.726 Mph (Qualifying, Pole)

Formula One
Montoya 2002 1:12.836 (Qualifying, Pole)

Originally posted by Frustrated Palm
If they share only one track, how can you say that they are faster if you only have one course to compare them on?

Uh, because it's pretty much common knowledge they are faster. They're lighter, have more power, have better technology, and better drivers. I can't believe someone thinks ChampCars are faster on a road/street circuit than F1 cars... I just can't understand the logic behind it.

If you were to put an F1 car on any circuit except an oval, it would be at least 4 to 5 seconds faster than the ChampCar, that's just a fact, Montoya has said they are faster, da Matta has said they are faster, anyone that has gone from CART to F1 has said they are so much faster than the ChampCars.

Originally posted by Syizm
Didn't they ban TC this year? I thought they did.

:confused:

Steve-o

No, they voted to keep it as it would actually cost the teams more to remove it.

They did however ban traction control in CART for this season.

An F1 car will always be faster than an IndyCar (of either the ChampCar or IRL flavour). This is because, as Majarvis has already stated, an F1 car weighs only 600KG including the driver, whereas ChampCars weight in excess of 1000KG.

ChampCars develop something in the region of 850bhp in their full-boost trim (which they don't use on road courses because then the engines are not sufficiently flexible. Of the F1 engines, it's certain that Ferrari and BMW are significantly ahead of that, plus the likes of Cosworth, Mercedes and Toyota are at the very least equal.

Given that acceleration = force / mass, you can see that increasing the force and decreasing the mass gives higher acceleration. This also works for braking, where an F1 car can do 220mph - 50mph in 100m, something which takes a ChampCar well over 150m to do.

These two factors alone would explain the superiority of F1 over ChampCar at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, which is all about acceleration and braking.

On a course like Barcelona, F1 cars with their bespoke aerodynamics, light weight and power advantage would slaughter a ChampCar. I hate to say it, because it sounds really critical, but a Minardi would be faster than a Lola.

Thanks Giles ;)

Also, I have heard while watching a CART race that the ChampCars are producing lower power levels this year, but with higher boost pressure, somewhere in the range of 750 hp. The reason being Ford Cosworth is the sole supplier this year of engines, so they have focused on durability vs power.

And that is indeed very true about those tracks, Canada is a low downforce configuration, something the ChampCars can at least find somewhat of a common ground on, being that they do not produce as much downforce. Even with this taken into consideration, the F1 cars are 6 seconds faster, and like you said, on a very technical course demanding high downforce, the ChampCars would get slaughtered on a circuit like the Circuit de Catalunya, I'm guessing they would be in the range of 10 seconds slower perhaps. The same would go for Monaco, they would get absolutely destroyed there as well.

It would be a little more even on a track like Monza, but the F1 cars would still be faster.

It would be interesting to see what an F1 car could do around the Indianapolis oval, in proper speedway trim. I'm sure that if they were all trimmed out, they would be much faster than the current IRL cars there. But no way would they be if they ran in current configurations, they simply produce so much more downforce that the drag would slow them to a crawl.

I would really like to see a Ferrari, McLaren, or Williams trimmed out, remove the little winglets, put slender wings on, and fly around the Indy oval, I'm sure they would be faster as they are lighter and more powerful.

Indy Car....

Attachments

• resize wizard-1.jpg
    resize wizard-1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 58
F2003-GA

Engine:
3000 Ferrari (Type 052), V10

Total Displacement:
2,997 cm3

Timing Gear:
40 valves

Fuel Feed:
Magneti Marelli digital electronic injection

Ignition:
Magneti Marelli static electronic ignition

Transmission:
Semiautomatic sequential electronically controlled gearbox, limited-slip differential, 7 gears + reverse

Chassis:
Carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite structure

Front Suspension:
Independent suspension, push-rod activated torsion springs

Rear Suspension:
Independent suspension, push-rod activated torsion springs

Brakes:
Ventilated carbon-fibre disc brakes

Length:
4,545 mm

Width:
1,796 mm