IndyCar IR-18 Reportedly Coming to Forza "This Season"

Cool, I really like the new car this year. Too bad I don't have Forza. :(

Indy cars and touring cars....those are the only things missing in my racing games. (and tracks)

A full Indy car expansion would be pretty fun. Not just new IR-18 cars, but a new track and hopefully some classic Indy cars, too. Bring back the Watson Roadster. How about the STP-Paxton Turbocar, or the Lotus 56 Turbine? So many great cars we haven't gotten yet.

Please don't make this the expansion... Cars are cool and all, but a pack of 10+ Cars that all are pretty much the same thing would be a rather cheap move.

This is entirely my own personal opinion, but I don't care for this kind of car. Haven't even touched the one already in the game, or any of the open-wheelers. Except for the classic ones. Now those are quite a joy.

A new track (s) is more than welcome though. Game needs them desperately

A full Indy car expansion would be pretty fun. Not just new IR-18 cars, but a new track and hopefully some classic Indy cars, too. Bring back the Watson Roadster. How about the STP-Paxton Turbocar, or the Lotus 56 Turbine? So many great cars we haven't gotten yet.

I'd add to those the '90 Domino's Lola, '69 Hawk and '77 Coyote from FM6, plus
-the '81 Pepsi Challenger Eagle with the so-revolutionary-it-was-banned "BLAT" aero package
-the '94 Penske-Mercedes that OWNED the Month of May that year
-de Ferran's closed-course record setting '00 "Renske"-Honda
-Mansell's title-winning '93 Newman-Haas Lola
-the '80 Chaparral 2K
-Bobby Unser's '72 Eagle, which raised the IMS track record 14 mph over the previous year
-Peter Revson's '72 McLaren, which he used to qualify right next to Uncle Bobby
-Al Unser's year-old '86 March-Cosworth show car turned race winner
-Jim Hurtubise's '63 Kurtis-Novi that he qualified in the middle of the front row and hounded Parnelli with at the start
-the pole-winning '52 Cummins Diesel Special which, if memory serves, was both the first "laydown" roadster and the first turbocharged car to qualify for the 500

I can think of many others, but that's a start! :D

Yes yay that’s a good thing and here’s hoping for something to happen with there IMSA connection and maybe the gods will be kind and we get a off road expansion lol for all our trucks lol who knows.

It's a very good start. I'm glad you included one of the all-conquering March-Cosworths from the 1980s, when every grid was basically 30 Marches, a couple Lolas and someone running a Buick V6.

Yeah, a fast-but-fragile Buick is definitely one of the wants I didn't mention.

I'd add to those the '90 Domino's Lola, '69 Hawk and '77 Coyote from FM6, plus
-the '81 Pepsi Challenger Eagle with the so-revolutionary-it-was-banned "BLAT" aero package
-the '94 Penske-Mercedes that OWNED the Month of May that year
-de Ferran's closed-course record setting '00 "Renske"-Honda
-Mansell's title-winning '93 Newman-Haas Lola
-the '80 Chaparral 2K
-Bobby Unser's '72 Eagle, which raised the IMS track record 14 mph over the previous year
-Peter Revson's '72 McLaren, which he used to qualify right next to Uncle Bobby
-Al Unser's year-old '86 March-Cosworth show car turned race winner
-Jim Hurtubise's '63 Kurtis-Novi that he qualified in the middle of the front row and hounded Parnelli with at the start
-the pole-winning '52 Cummins Diesel Special which, if memory serves, was both the first "laydown" roadster and the first turbocharged car to qualify for the 500

I can think of many others, but that's a start! :D

Great post! Forza IndyCar expansion pack of IndyCars through the years would be amazing!

Forza IndyCar expansion would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess an Indycar expansion isnt less likely then an IMSA expansion. They did it with NASCAR too - adding two or three chassis with various team liverys. With a new track - St. Petersburg? - they're already done.

I would prefer an rally cross expansion, though. We already have many offroad cars and tracks, different surfaces and offroad physics already exists in the Forza franchise and rally cross is rather popular right now. The big problem here would be the lack of any offroad tracks - they would had to pack at least three new tracks into this expansion and i'm affraid this isnt going to happen.

An Indycar expansion could be super cool but I should lower my expectations because Turn 10 will probably add 10 Indycars and all of them are the same, and then a new oval track. I'm not huge fan of oval tracks but then I hope they'll add different layouts.
I want a rally expansion because most of the SUVs are still useless today.

While it would be an Ok expansion, this would miss the mark as far as making the game more fun. They could easily just add two of the newer Indy cars in a dlc pack and still continue with an Imsa Expansion bringing mid Ohio which is a course Indycars also race on. I would skip this Expansion if it was just an Indy one...unless they throw in some classic ones too and bring back the few we had in fm6.

This got me fired up to race some of the older Indy cars in FM6.

1964 Watson #1 Sheraton-Thompson Special Roadster

1969 Ford Brawner Hawk III

1990 Chevrolet #30 Douglas Shierson Racing Lola T90/00

They're all so much fun to drive. I was getting confused, though. Where was the 1977 Foyt Coyote? I remember I really liked driving it. So why can't I find it? Turns out it was only in FM5 as a part of the Long Beach expansion.

1977 Ford Foyt #14 Gilmore Coyote (not my photo)

Another of FM's odd collection of one-game-only cars. I'm tempted to re-download the game just so I can drive it.

While it would be an Ok expansion, this would miss the mark as far as making the game more fun. They could easily just add two of the newer Indy cars in a dlc pack and still continue with an Imsa Expansion bringing mid Ohio which is a course Indycars also race on. I would skip this Expansion if it was just an Indy one...unless they throw in some classic ones too and bring back the few we had in fm6.

Some sort of IndyCar expansion this month would be great timing, but I'd be surprised - though if it included the new 2018 IndyCar bodywork (both road and oval), historic IndyCars/Champ Cars, plus a couple of tracks (Mid Ohio & Detroit), it could go a long way towards satisfying fans of both IndyCar and IMSA.

...though with all of the 4WD vehicles in the monthly packs, I'm still wondering if we'll see an off-road expansion.

This got me fired up to race some of the older Indy cars in FM6.

1964 Watson #1 Sheraton-Thompson Special Roadster

1969 Ford Brawner Hawk III

1990 Chevrolet #30 Douglas Shierson Racing Lola T90/00

They're all so much fun to drive. I was getting confused, though. Where was the 1977 Foyt Coyote? I remember I really liked driving it. So why can't I find it? Turns out it was only in FM5 as a part of the Long Beach expansion.

1977 Ford Foyt #14 Gilmore Coyote (not my photo)

Another of FM's odd collection of one-game-only cars. I'm tempted to re-download the game just so I can drive it.

I wonder why Turn 10 couldn't just carry over these IndyCars from Forza 5 and 6 to Forza 7? Was it a technical reason or a license issue?

I wonder why Turn 10 couldn't just carry over these IndyCars from Forza 5 and 6 to Forza 7? Was it a technical reason or a license issue?
They would probably say " it was a license issue" blah blah. On one hand i understand some licences are hard to hold or aquire but those cars and a couple dozen more that have disappeard from the franchise? Come on now lol

They would probably say " it was a license issue" blah blah. On one hand i understand some licences are hard to hold or aquire but those cars and a couple dozen more that have disappeard from the franchise? Come on now lol
I know, right? It bothers me that they were all new to franchise, showed up once and evaporated there after. Why did they even bother?

I know, right? It bothers me that they were all new to franchise, showed up once and evaporated there after. Why did they even bother?
That's exactly what gets me, you guys went out of your way to acquire some rare machines for your game...cars I've never even heard of before, didn't even know existed lol then to turn around and not be able to carry them over. I call bs if it was "license issues". I think they just simply want to make room for other cars. And to add on, if I was the manufacturer, I would love for my rare or historically significant vehicle to be virtually usable in a game like Forza, why not...use that license all you want.

That's exactly what gets me, you guys went out of your way to acquire some rare machines for your game...cars I've never even heard of before, didn't even know existed lol then to turn around and not be able to carry them over. I call bs if it was "license issues". I think they just simply want to make room for other cars. And to add on, if I was the manufacturer, I would love for my rare or historically significant vehicle to be virtually usable in a game like Forza, why not...use that license all you want.

If they wanted to make rooms for other cars, it would make an awful lot of sense to remove older or lower-performance version of certain models. I have a feeling it may be the result of an unwillingness to bring over cars that wouldn't fit it any division (as so far we have seen four vintage Indycars from four separate decades, with performance that is also quite different from GP cars of the same era) and desire to achieve an "even" number of divs for the purpose of having a "square" career grid (which also explains why some cars are shoehorned in divisions that are a mess, like Showroom Rally). That still seems like a filmsy explaination at best, however.

As for your last point, "manufacturers should love to have their historically significant vehicles in game", that certainly seems to be the case for Nissan, Alfa Romeo and Porsche, which have seemingly given T10 full access to their historical collections. However, please bear in mind that of all the vintage Indy cars featured, only one (the Lola) was built by a still-existant company, with another two having an engine from a major auto company (the Coyote and Brawner cars). The most difficult situation to sort out is probably that of the Sheraton Roadster. Offenhauser Racing Engines was liquidated ages ago (IIRC in the early 80s), and A.J. Watson didn't even start a company in his time. If I had to take a wild guess I would say the licenser is probably Watson's estate... Not a very corporate actor, they may have just decided they liked the pCars 2 rendition of the Roadster better and decided "yeah, we are not renewing our license agreement with Microsoft".

tl; dr: the vintage Indycars would be a poor fit in FM7, and they don't have a manufacturer that may push for their inclusion, either

Normally something like this would be license-related. There may only be an agreement for a car to be used in a single game, and the rights would likely have to be renegotiated for inclusion in future titles.

Cars that "appear in every game" either have long-term licensing deals, relatively low licensing costs or are cars that are so important to the community that they "need" to be in every game.

If they wanted to make rooms for other cars, it would make an awful lot of sense to remove older or lower-performance version of certain models. I have a feeling it may be the result of an unwillingness to bring over cars that wouldn't fit it any division (as so far we have seen four vintage Indycars from four separate decades, with performance that is also quite different from GP cars of the same era) and desire to achieve an "even" number of divs for the purpose of having a "square" career grid (which also explains why some cars are shoehorned in divisions that are a mess, like Showroom Rally). That still seems like a filmsy explaination at best, however.

As for your last point, "manufacturers should love to have their historically significant vehicles in game", that certainly seems to be the case for Nissan, Alfa Romeo and Porsche, which have seemingly given T10 full access to their historical collections. However, please bear in mind that of all the vintage Indy cars featured, only one (the Lola) was built by a still-existant company, with another two having an engine from a major auto company (the Coyote and Brawner cars). The most difficult situation to sort out is probably that of the Sheraton Roadster. Offenhauser Racing Engines was liquidated ages ago (IIRC in the early 80s), and A.J. Watson didn't even start a company in his time. If I had to take a wild guess I would say the licenser is probably Watson's estate... Not a very corporate actor, they may have just decided they liked the pCars 2 rendition of the Roadster better and decided "yeah, we are not renewing our license agreement with Microsoft".

tl; dr: the vintage Indycars would be a poor fit in FM7, and they don't have a manufacturer that may push for their inclusion, either
It's sad because there are tracks included in Forza 7 that are perfect for vintage, 90's, and modern IndyCars. Road America, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, Long Beach, IMS oval and road course.....

Back