IndyCar iRacing Challenge Ends in Collisions and Controversy

Lots of effort goes into these and seeing someone like Ferrucci just intentionally crash someone else at the end makes a mockery of the whole thing. It’s not a good look for Indycar, iRacing and everyone else involved. Pagenaud was pretty childish too.

So many people just want to be willfully ignorant and say it’s just a game and shouldn’t be taken seriously. They are missing the big picture here.

Last edited:
About the level of respect I feel the race deserved after they forced it to be at Indianapolis at the first place.

The link in the article goes to the stream VOD but not the specific time when the first incident happened. Does anyone know what lap the first incident was?

Go to 1 hour 48 minutes.
Thanks. I found that, but listened through to when the collide again and couldn't hear when they say to intentionally hit Norris. I wanted to hear it for myself but I know it'll just make me more disgusted.

Thanks. I found that, but listened through to when the collide again and couldn't hear when they say to intentionally hit Norris. I wanted to hear it for myself but I know it'll just make me more disgusted.
As he pulls out of his pitbox.

Thanks guys. They say it so casually, that's what hurts most. What would be worse, this or just rage quitting after the initial contact?

Well it could have been worse, at least nobody took part in the satanic ritual known as rage quitting :lol:.

All jokes aside, I don't want any fallout for the same reason as Bubba Wallace situation: this isn't their day job, and in reality not much was on the line for this race. All that punishing the drivers is going to do is scare real drivers away.

Also, I can't think of a less likable driver in all of motorsport Santino Ferrucci.

Norris was experienced in his anger release. :bowdown:

Laughing (fakely), then calling the **** out as a salty idiot. :dopey:

Well done young twitcher :cheers:

Sack the rager :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so stupid. Too tier levels of stupid. I already dislike e-sports, but have really enjoyed most of these IRL races since it was all real racers and it was possible to suspend disbelief with none of the normal virtual courage. This just flushed all the prior races in the toilet. Pagenaud will never hear a cheer from ever again. And ferrucci clearly didn't change as he claimed last year.

All jokes aside, I don't want any fallout for the same reason as Bubba Wallace situation: this isn't their day job, and in reality not much was on the line for this race. All that punishing the drivers is going to do is scare real drivers away.
Except the money for the TV broadcast, the money the sponsors put into it, the money spent on betting on it.

Yeah, not really much at all if you ignore the money.

Or the time spent practicing.

Both were stupid. It’s a game you enter an agreement to play by the spirit of the rules, then abandon any sportsmanship and do that, on a world stage? Complete disrespect for the time and efforts of others.

Lando’s move might have boiled blood in real life, but it’s not real life, and thus it was a fantastic move. He played the game but then the other guys messed up (Rahal bugged out) and then acted like the scum online players we all have to deal with, instead of professionals. Yeah, “it’s just a game” but so is all sport, and that was embarrassing for everyone. Disappointing.

What a **** show.
But that’s what the Jimmer (Broadbent) says is entertaining.
I think he finished last today in the virtual GP. I also noticed he crashed out 15 minutes into the 24hr race a day or two ago.
The best racing this weekend was watching the top sim racers battle on The Race. Side by side, lap after lap without taking each other out.
Followed by watching Seb crack under the pressure (again) in the Legends race.
Leclerc and Albon was also fun to watch.

Came this close to putting a £1 bet on my countryman Scott McLaughlin but backed out at the last minute and forgot about it. God will certainly give me a ribbing for that one when I get up there :lol:

The worst thing for me was not the actual incidents, but lying about it brazenly afterwards. I saw the Ferrucci interview afterwards and totally believed him.

The racing may be virtual, but a lie is a lie.

Exactly and the same behaviour (or less not fatal version) will come to real racing.

Love sim racing, it really shows how dirty people really are. Pro or not, they can still be dirty as.

Penalties need applying just like real racing or the racing will be dirty and a waste of time for viewers and competitors.

Not to be salty but this is why I stay away from Sport Mode in the first place. There's most likely always a person who'll do an intentional D-bag move. This reminds me of Race Driver 2 or 3, whichever it was. Boy's dad wins, the second place destroys his car and destroys the boy's dad at the same time.

I watched the other Indy races and they where good and at a high level, the way this race ended was a disgrace, Pagenaud going for the revenge wreck by blocking Norris was really poor(granted Norris's move would never happen in real life as it was way too dangerous) and the wreck at the end was clearly on purpose, I get it's a game so you can go for more ballsy moves but the that is just a lack of respect.

Looking at the amount of people watching the stream especially with a current F1Driver in the race you think they would know not to be idiots about it.

Back