IndyCar Series 2023 - The Official Game

• Thread starter er185es
  • 50 comments
Arent they behind all the terrible nascar games?(Geniunely asking)
Yes, they're the ones behind probably one of the WORST NASCAR games to ever get released.

Take the Steam reviews with a grain of salt (Some of them are absolutely hilarious), but more importantly, a user named Austin Ogonoski does a good deepdive of the devs behind the company Motorsports Games, and it's something else.

Last edited:
Arent they behind all the terrible nascar games?(Geniunely asking)

Edit: Ive did some light digging about this company and I give this zero chance. If you are the kind who smirks at others misery, look up their stock price graph.
Look at the date of that comment you replied to bub.

What a waste. They are pretty much squatting on all these licenses at this point. Not buying a single thing from them, I hope they close down tbh.

Last edited:
If it's not even meeting Motorsport Games expectations it's probably best it's not put out for the rest of the world to enjoy just yet.

Let's go live to iRacing headquarters:

violin-tiny.gif

I hope they close down tbh.
Seems they are getting close to doing just that.

Link to article.

"As of March 22, 2023, the Company had cash and cash equivalents of approximately $6.5 million. Based on this cash and cash equivalents position, and the Company’s average cash burn, we do not believe we have sufficient cash on hand to fund our operations for the remainder of 2023 and that additional funding will be required in order to continue operations. We will need to supplement our available liquidity with additional debt and/or equity financing, as well as ongoing cost control initiatives."

As much as I hate it for the non-decision makers at the company, the sooner it goes under the better.

Seems they are getting close to doing just that.

Link to article.

"As of March 22, 2023, the Company had cash and cash equivalents of approximately $6.5 million. Based on this cash and cash equivalents position, and the Company’s average cash burn, we do not believe we have sufficient cash on hand to fund our operations for the remainder of 2023 and that additional funding will be required in order to continue operations. We will need to supplement our available liquidity with additional debt and/or equity financing, as well as ongoing cost control initiatives."

As much as I hate it for the non-decision makers at the company, the sooner it goes under the better.
And then someone like THQ nordic picks up the pieces and releases a functional product. :lol:

And then someone like THQ nordic picks up the pieces and releases a functional product. :lol:
Unless Motorsport Games has a crapton of unresolved debt that needs to be dealt with first, and they probably do, in which case I doubt there are very many who would be willing to pick up the bag on that one.

I'm not even sure EA would bother scooping up the remains to give to Codemasters, unless they're really intent on keeping the Indycar and NASCAR licenses out of iRacing's claws.

Unless Motorsport Games has a crapton of unresolved debt that needs to be dealt with first, and they probably do, in which case I doubt there are very many who would be willing to pick up the bag on that one.

I'm not even sure EA would bother scooping up the remains to give to Codemasters, unless they're really intent on keeping the Indycar and NASCAR licenses out of iRacing's claws.
The game itself, engine, and all its assets would just be sold to lets be honest here, probably a mobile developer lmao whomever decides to salvage what work's been done, minus the license product name.

As for the licenses? That's a different story. Difficult to tell, but if EA finagles the NASCAR licensing out of Motorsport Games going under, that's a throw from left field.

If history taught me anything, it repeats itself.

Don't be surprised if we get a NASCAR (Insert current year here.)

Edit: What I stated is purely speculation, by the way.

Last edited:
The game itself, engine, and all its assets would just be sold to lets be honest here, probably a mobile developer lmao whomever decides to salvage what work's been done, minus the license product name.

As for the licenses? That's a different story. Difficult to tell, but if EA finagles the NASCAR licensing out of Motorsport Games going under, that's a throw from left field.

If history taught me anything, it repeats itself.

Don't be surprised if we get a NASCAR (Insert current year here.)

Edit: What I stated is purely speculation, by the way.
I mean, if it does come down to having Codies-made IndyCar and/or NASCAR games, that'd be a more preferable outcome than getting yet another Unity or UE4 powered barebones game from a developer with no budget or relevant experience. With the racing genre being as slim pickings as it is, there's really no tolerance for "lackluster but serviceable" anymore.

unless they're really intent on keeping the Indycar and NASCAR licenses out of iRacing's claws.
I’d rather iRacing than any other Developer/Publisher at this point. If you like racing games then all roads lead to iRacing imho.

If they made a stand alone Indycar, WEC or NASCAR game then that would be epic.

I’d rather iRacing than any other Developer/Publisher at this point. If you like racing games then all roads lead to iRacing imho.
Unless you're a console player, or don't have the space or budget for a wheel setup, or don't want to pay out the nose for piecemeal content on top of a monthly subscription. That excludes a pretty wide potential audience.
If they made a stand alone Indycar, WEC or NASCAR game then that would be epic.
I can't see why they'd bother making a standalone game since they're already making piles of money on the pay-to-play model they've been operating under. If they have the exclusive licenses, they're going to push people to iRacing.

Unless you're a console player, or don't have the space or budget for a wheel setup, or don't want to pay out the nose for piecemeal content on top of a monthly subscription. That excludes a pretty wide potential audience.

I can't see why they'd bother making a standalone game since they're already making piles of money on the pay-to-play model they've been operating under. If they have the exclusive licenses, they're going to push people to iRacing.
They've been trying to break into the console market by buying Monster Games and releasing the console only World of Outlaws game* which has a similar deal to NASCAR's where the official esports series is hosted by iRacing. I have no clue how well it has sold, but they just announced a 2023 update along with a second season pass so it couldn't have done too bad. Ultimately there are just certain things you get out of standalone games that you just can't find in a platform like iRacing and I think they are starting to realize by leaving that market unexplored they are leaving money on the table.

*Admittedly it is just building off of the NASCAR Heat and Tony Stewart titles, but they did a great job with it.

Last edited:
They've been trying to break into the console market by buying Monster Games and releasing the console only World of Outlaws game* which has a similar deal to NASCAR's where the official esports series is hosted by iRacing. I have no clue how well it has sold, but they just announced a 2023 update along with a second season pass so it couldn't have done too bad.
Given how much of the game's assets are straight up recycled from the previous Tony Stewart and SRX games, I dunno if that's really a measure of success as they probably had a lot more time and resources to work on DLC content. That said, from my experience with the PS4 version the physics are quite definitely better but it still has the overall presentation of a bargain bin Unity game, and I think that turned a lot of people off from paying full price for it because there's almost no reviews of the game anywhere, except for a couple that look like AI written copy-paste articles and some "first look" Youtube videos that barely get beyond flipping through menus. Granted this could also be put down to dirt racing sims being a very niche market too, but still it's a bit concerning.

I feel like the real test would be if iRacing gives Monster full access to their game engine and enough funds to build something from the ground up, but I really don't see that happening.

"Iracing isn’t planning on releasing an IndyCar console game anytime soon.

In an exclusive interview with Insider Gaming (releasing in full on February 9), iRacing president Tony Gardner said that while the company does have plans to expand its work with IndyCar, a console game isn’t in the cards right now.

“I’m sure people are interested if we’re going to build an IndyCar console game and, I don’t think that’s in a short-term plan, but, you know, I think the door’s open,” he said. “That’s a possibility someday.”

He continued: “I know that’s what people want. And we, you know, in a perfect world, we could do that, too. But we don’t want to make the same mistake Motorsport Games did and bite off more than we can do.”

Back