Infineon World Sport Car Race - Success & FAILURE!

Smallhorses

Staff Emeritus
Hi there!
Just did this race last night. Finished around 2am, and it was a beautiful race, as can be seen from the result! However, there's an unfortunate sting in the tail....read on.....

Entered in a totally stock Toyota 7 Race Car '70 using stock RM (R3) tyres, for 82 A-Spec points.

Result:-

1st Toyota 7 Race Car '70 Finished in 2:46'xx.xxx Pitted on laps 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90, 99, 108.

2nd Audi R8 Race Car '01 (+10.1s!!!!!) Pitted on laps 18, 35, 52, 69, 86, 103.

3rd Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03 (+1 lap) Pitted on laps 16, 33, 50, 67, 84, 101. Lapped on my lap 102(+1)

4th Toyota GT-One Race Car '99 (+1 lap) Pitted on laps 16, 32, 48, 64, 80, 96, 112. Lapped on my lap 95(+1)

5th Jaguar XJ-R9 Race Car '88 (+1 lap) Pitted on laps 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96, 108. Lapped on my lap 94(+1)

6th Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98 (+4 laps) Pitted on laps 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105. Lapped on my lap 31(+1), 62(+2), 91(+3), 115(+4)

Race highlights:-

Pit from 15s lead on Bentley on lap 9. Tyres, no fuel. Exit in 5th. ~9s behind Bentley at end of outlap.
Passed R8 for 4th on lap 12. Jaguar pits, pass into 3rd.
Take GT-one for 2nd at beginning of lap 13.
R390 pits on lap 15.
Pass Bentley for 1st when he pits on lap 16.
Pit from 5s lead on R8 on lap 18. Tyres, no fuel. R8 pits too. Exit in 1st. ~8S ahead of R8 at end of outlap.
Jaguar pits from 2nd place on lap 24.
Pit from 23s lead on R8 on lap 27. Tyres and fuel. Used 68 units in 27 laps. Avg of 22.6 units per 9 lap stint. Top up to 58 units while tyres are changed. Exit in 2nd. ~4.5s behind R8 at end of outlap.
Pass R8 into lap 34. R8 pits from 3s behind on lap 35.
Pit on lap 36 from 29s lead on R8. Tyres, no fuel. Exit in 1st. ~8s ahead of R8 at end of outlap.

Hour mark passes during lap 42. Checkpoint:- 1st Toyota 7, 2nd Audi R8 (-13s)

Pit in, lap 45, from 15s lead on R8. Tyres and fuel. Top up to 49 units. Exit in 2nd. ~10s behind R8 at end of outlap.
R8 pits from 4s lead on lap 52, pass him for 1st place while he's in pits.

New fastest lap of 1'20.600 on lap 52.

Pit from 31s lead on R8 on lap 54. Tyres and fuel. Top up to 61 units. Exit in 1st. ~10s ahead of R8 at end of outlap.
Lapped Jag on lap 63, unlapped himself when I pit from 11s lead on R8. Tyres, no fuel. Exit in 2nd place.
~12s behind R8 at end of outlap.
R8 pits from 7s lead on lap 69. Pass him while he's pitted.
Pit from 26s lead on R8 on lap 72. Tyres and fuel. Top up to 52 units. EXit in 1st. ~4s ahead of R8 at end of outlap.
Lap Jaguar on lap 77.
Pit in from 15s lead on R8 on lap 81. Tyres and fuel. Top up to 63 units. Jag unlaps itself. Exit in 2nd.
Lap GT-One during lap 82, after he spins me out at the 1st attempt. :irked:. ~10s behind R8 at end of outlap.

2 Hour mark passes towards the end of lap 83. Checkpoint. 1st Audi R8, 2nd Toyota 7 (-11s)

R8 pits from 7s lead on lap 86. Pass him while he's pitted.
Pit in from 31s lead from R8. Tyres, no fuel. Bentley, GT-One & Jaguar unlap themselves. Exit in 1st. ~7s ahead of R8 at end of outlap.
Pit in from 12s lead on R8 on lap 99. Tyres and fuel. Exit in 2nd. ~12s behind R8 at end of outlap.
R8 pits in from 13s lead on lap 103. Pass him in the pits.
Pit in on lap 108 from 33s lead on R8. Tyres and fuel. Top up to 42 units. 2:36'22.233 elapsed. Should be last stop. ~6s ahead of R8 at end of outlap.
Finish 115 laps in 2:46' with a 10.1s gap to 2nd placed Audi R8! :nervous:

So, that was it! SUCCESS! Wasn't quick enough to take down my total time as I was concentrating on getting the Audi's split.
Watched a lap of the replay (as I always do after a race) the pressed START. Went to prizemoney screen and was awarded 500,000Cr. Pressed OK to go back to race result, and to claim my prizecar..... and the 🤬 PS2 freezes, no result screen, no loading screen, nothing, just black screen. Tried every button, pedal & wheel movement to no-avail. Took out & cleaned GT4 disc (which wasn't even dirty anyway) in the vain hope that it might help...nothing. :mad:
So there's the sting in the tail. FAILURE! After winning the race I ended up having to reset the PS2 before I could save the game with the money & prizecar. :irked:
Nothing I could do about it, except say, OH WELL & go & race again! :mischievous:

this isn't really the same thing but...

when i was playing gt3 about a year ago i saved the game everything was fine. I turned the console off PROPERLY not during saving but when i loaded it up again it said my memory card was corrupted and i had lost everything on it. I had to fork out £20 for a new one. Very annoying but i've got over it after a year. I still don't know what happened tho.

But as for your game freezing, do u have a really old PS2? I do and sometimes it can't read the disc. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

My PS2 is from 2001.

Its never frozen before, never had disk reading problems.
I've never lost a memory card save (except for my own stupid fault when I accidentally overwrote the data on Mem Card 1 with Mem Card 2 data) and I went through GT3 4 times!
I've often left the game on for days & days without issues while doing endurance races.

I read in another thread of something similar happening to a guy after the 24hr Le Mans race. Now that's got to hurt. :( :ouch: I think its just a glitch in GT4.
Lets hope its not a common one!

I just finished this very race in the same car with the same tires...

WAY TO EASY!

64a-spec points, and a 5 lap victory over the Sauber C9

Fastest lap 1min 17.945 seconds

Indoctrin

WAY TO EASY!

Add an extra O to TO!!! :sly:

I'm trying again now, have a 100 A-Spec point field and having done 115 laps last night, I'm certainly more consistent this time around, it is beginning to seem easier than the last race. 1'17.945 is a scorching lap though! Nice going!
My current best is a 1'20.524.
64 A-spec means you probably had the Corvette, Oreca Viper or Panoz in your lineup, right?
I take it you got your hands on the cash & the car for winning & it didn't freeze up on you too?

Smallhorses
My PS2 is from 2001.

Its never frozen before, never had disk reading problems.
I've never lost a memory card save (except for my own stupid fault when I accidentally overwrote the data on Mem Card 1 with Mem Card 2 data) and I went through GT3 4 times!
I've often left the game on for days & days without issues while doing endurance races.

I read in another thread of something similar happening to a guy after the 24hr Le Mans race. Now that's got to hurt. :( :ouch: I think its just a glitch in GT4.
Lets hope its not a common one!

it's definitely not a glitch
probably because this time u really overran ur PS2
give it a break for a few days

Smallhorses
64 A-spec means you probably had the Corvette, Oreca Viper or Panoz in your lineup, right?
I take it you got your hands on the cash & the car for winning & it didn't freeze up on you too?

Yup the crappy Corvette was there with the 3 Nissans, and the Sauber and yep i got my car and my cash though they wont be used at all!

As for my fastest lap it was a bit strange as i was hammering in 1min 20's constantly but suddenly got that lap and in a period of about 20 laps kept my times below 1min 18

Very nice write-up! Sounds like a tough race.

Too bad what happened though. It happens to mee sometimes, I think it's because of my console. It's also from 2001 it has sometimes problems reading discs. That very same thing happened to me after the Laguna Seca endurance, but I got it back running after turning my ps2 to vertical position and waiting some time.

Finished this race again yesterday for 100 A-spec points versus the following field.

1st Toyota 7 Race Car '70. 2:46'18.853
2nd Nissan R92CP Race Car '92 +40s
3rd Audi R8 Race Car '01 +1 lap
4th Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03+2 laps
5th Pescarolo Courage C60 Race Car '03 +2 laps
6th Toyota GT-One Race Car '99 +2 laps

This time I got my money & the prizecar! 👍 Now its off to another enduro....:D

WAY TO EASY!

1'17.945???
Dang!
If I'm not mistaking, I did a 1'07.### with my Mazda 787B!

Well I'd better check out when I get my PS2 back, It's beeing repaired now... :(

So there's the sting in the tail. FAILURE! After winning the race I ended up having to reset the PS2 before I could save the game with the money & prizecar. :irked:
Nothing I could do about it, except say, OH WELL & go & race again! :mischievous:

I hate when i do something like that...

Congratulations on winning the race again and getting your deserved money and prizecar, Smallhorses :cheers:

Sorry, but I saw members posting here and I read the whole thread, but I didn't look at the dates when the messages were posted :lol:

I think this glitch is pretty common. I have a PS3 and regularly play GT4 on it while patiently waiting for GT5 to come out. However, on certain races, no matter what car I use (I try them multiple times) the little spinning thing on the loading screen turns red and the race never loads.

I know that for my PS3 the red spinning thing happens on these races/tests:

Driving Test IB-3
Clubman Cup Race #2
American Hot Rod Championship Race #2, 3, or 4, it changes

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

P.S. The only car in my garage is a completely upgraded 2002 Cadillac Cien.

I think this glitch is pretty common. I have a PS3 and regularly play GT4 on it while patiently waiting for GT5 to come out. However, on certain races, no matter what car I use (I try them multiple times) the little spinning thing on the loading screen turns red and the race never loads.

I know that for my PS3 the red spinning thing happens on these races/tests:

Driving Test IB-3
Clubman Cup Race #2
American Hot Rod Championship Race #2, 3, or 4, it changes

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this?

P.S. The only car in my garage is a completely upgraded 2002 Cadillac Cien.

i still have this car in my garage!
if your needle turns red, take out the CD and make sure it's clean. that's what i did the one time this happened to me.

Back