Infiniti General Discussion- 2017 Q60 Coupe Arrival

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 159 comments
Infiniti President posted a explanation on the new Q naming strategy on facebook

Dear Infiniti Fans,

We love you dearly. And we know you love the brand. Which means it’s only natural that you may feel surprised by the announcement that we plan to change our nomenclature philosophy. No one likes change.

It was a tough decision, we like our current model names as much as you do. But we had no choice but to change. Let me explain.

1. We are embarking on a massive product offensive, and these new cars need names. There are no suitable combinations of Alphanumeric naming options remaining which are not already trademarked by another automaker. In order to expand our line up with the fascinating new models we are developing, we must create a more flexible nomenclature philosophy.

2. Our new advanced technology engines under development will be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient yet more powerful. And we will introduce some exhilarating performance machines in the future. I'm sure you will agree, it would be a bit odd to have a powerful, luxurious and refined V8 powered Infiniti M56, then position a new high-tech 550+ horsepower performance flagship for the Infiniti M range above it, using a potent charged induction V6, but then call it Infiniti M30, which we would be obliged to do, following our current naming logic.

3. Infiniti is becoming a global brand now, we are already active in almost 50 countries, the majority only very recently. Our new customers are unfamiliar with the brand and struggle to understand our range hierarchy. Is a JX above or below an FX? Where does an EX fit? What is the relationship between G and Infiniti M? Research confirms the majority of newcomers to our brand consider the naming to be somewhat arbitrary and confusing.

4. Infiniti owns the naming assets of Q plus double digit, and QX plus double digit. And it is a permanent part of our heritage.

So the solution is pretty straightforward - use Q for cars, QX for crossovers, and double digits in increments of ten, to denote hierarchy, linked to the price point of the model, not size and not engine displacement. And no, we won’t call all-wheel drive models Q50X or QX50X. The fact that a model may feature four wheel drive, will be indicated by specific badging describing this feature on the car, and is not part of the model name.

The really exciting implication of all this, is that it prepares the way for the introduction of several fascinating new models, above and below the current line up, a wider range of powertrains, including some truly stunning performance cars in our future.

So there is only good news for all Infiniti fans around the globe. We are working very hard to bring you great products, a great brand and a compelling ownership experience. And we are really confident you will love the new Q50. It's simply that good.

Warmest regards

Johan de Nysschen
President

Infiniti Motor Company Limited

The only really logical reason he gives is the performance differentiation, but even that one doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Why not do like Mercedes do?

Example

SL600 vs SL55
SLK320 vs SLK32

Three numbers for 'normal' model and two for performance model. Or the other way around.

So you would have:
Infiniti M56 (normal V8)
Infiniti M300 (550hp V6)

or

Infiniti M560 (normal)
Infiniti M30 (550hp V6)

Or, they could do something actually interesting and unique like give the BHP figure as the numeric part of the name. I don't understand why nobody does this anymore?

M56 would become the M420 and the new model could be the M550. Pretty simple, tells a story, establishes hierarchy, allows for unique nomenclature.

Last edited:
Oh, that's the reason. It's related to them killing their V8 program.

...So that's why Nissan hired him from Audi?

Or, they could do something actually interesting and unique like give the BHP figure as the numeric part of the name. I don't understand why nobody does this anymore?

My guess is because different regions of the world use different units of power for measurement (PS, bhp, kW); maybe that whole "backing up your claim as an automaker" thing also gets in the way. Why bother looking for those extra 5 horsepower in the engine department when you're just going to round up, anyhow? And if you or a standards-body increase/decrease it slightly, are they going to rename/number it? That's my guesses.

Last edited:
It makes sense, and I support it.

Their naming conventions in the past make little sense. Taking Audi's lead in naming conventions is a smart decision.

Oh. I was unaware I was talking to an expert in the field of product portfolios.

Still don't see how that means Infiniti's current naming scheme doesn't make sense, though.

Oh. I was unaware I was talking to an expert in the field.

Never said I'm an expert.. but I do know Infiniti isnt quite selling out lots right now.

Also, you don't have to be snippy. I'm cool with a chill convo, if you are.

And that is related to their naming scheme (which is identical to that of their nearest competitor), rather than how only two of their cars (the FX and G) are really competitive in the segment that they compete in?

How is copying Audi rather than copying Mercedes/Lexus/BMW going to do anything to change that, besides cause buyer confusion?

I look at it like this; they are climbing hurdles, right now. Alot of brands, outside of BMW, Audi, and MB are struggling to not only compete, but find an identity of their own. Everyone is restructuring, and trying to figure out what the next move would be in helping them on their quest to reform.

Making the naming a bit simpler, in my eyes, could help buyer confusion out. I just asked people in my office to name some Infiniti models, and they dropped two names, the "G30, or G35", and "...that old Q45". That's a problem.

Is this seriously a big deal? I like cars and I didn't even know most of the names before and it doesn't matter much to me what they name them now. If I'm ever inclined to buy a vehicle in that class I'll look them up real quick and I imagine most mainstream consumers will do the same. Why the drama?

Why the drama?

Because it's blah blah blah, blah blah really no big blah. But strange, indeed.

I guess people wondered why Mercedes-Benz changed all their models from "Number Letter" to "Letter Number" in the mid-1990s, but they stuck with it because the change was quite minimal. I guess it's usually a sign that you're not doing as well, when you do this, and for some automakers, like Acura, the change to largely forgettable alphanumerics hasn't always been a hit. On the other hand, if the model sells...who cares? Call it the Bongo Friendee, Mysterious Utility Wizard, Homy Super Long, or Deliboy and it's all good.

Last edited:
Well, I read through Infiniti's rationale for the revamp, and it actually makes sense. I've changed my mind, I like the new naming system. I think they should have used the letter I though, for Infiniti, rather than Q.

Yeah, between Johan's letter and the article on Jalopnik about this, I do at least see a bit more reason now. I still equate this to Volvo's naming convention more so than any other maker's, though. But people don't have a problem figuring that one out. I'm glad he's pointing out the... issue, with naming cars based on engine displacement. If you're honest about it, it looks like a downgrade. Or you can just make up random numbers, a la BMW or Merc.

What's more exciting, and I think needs to be discussed; is that a confirmation of a GT-R powered Infiniti?!

Is it just me, or does anybody else prefer having actual names on cars?

Not that coded names are bad, but they need to be arranged in a more logical scheme.

I like the idea of having the bhp figures in the name of the car, M420 sounds very cool and you can show your friends how much money you earn just by saying the name of your car. :D

I want that.

Johan de Nysschen
2. Our new advanced technology engines under development will be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient yet more powerful. And we will introduce some exhilarating performance machines in the future. I'm sure you will agree, it would be a bit odd to have a powerful, luxurious and refined V8 powered Infiniti M56, then position a new high-tech 550+ horsepower performance flagship for the Infiniti M range above it, using a potent charged induction V6, but then call it Infiniti M30, which we would be obliged to do, following our current naming logic.
I'm waiting for more info on this series of engine.
2wxq8.gif

"And we are really confident you will love the new Q50. It's simply that good."

That actually made me laugh. If anything, I liked the conversational tone on the Facebook post. Props for not doing a lame press release.

This still seems silly, however.

Back