Interest Check: Gran Turismo Table Top Game

Discussion in 'The Rumble Strip' started by W3HS, May 24, 2019.

1. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Bla bla bla decades of inventing table top games and game mechanics as a hobby bla bla bla...

Now that the history lesson is over with I’ll crack on.

Brain storming for inspiration/ themes to apply some new mechanics to on my way to work this morning I realised I’d never considered at GT game before.

With enough interest and input from the community I think it could be a pretty solid effort at producing something that would be worthy of publishing. Since I’ve had the idea I’m pretty set on throwing together a draft anyway (because it’s my hobby/ creative outlet) but with enough of the community willing to offer suggestions and play test I’m sure I could produce a polished product within a reasonably small time frame; say 2-3 months.

I’d be an unofficial game, of course, and due to copyright laws et all there’s no way any money could be charged so it would be free to all users as a print & play game.

The concept in my head currently involves a circuit on a board, player constructed team stat sheets which will play a role in determining certain chance elements, dice, tokens and the usual gubbins that go with table top games.

Factors that players will be able to manipulate by stat distribution will be -
    Driver: cornering skill, overtaking skill and endurance.
    Car: tyre durability, mechanical reliability, speed & fuel capacity.

As turns/ laps progress these stats decrease to the point where the chance of error becomes greater and a pit stop is required to replenish the stats.

The main mechanism of chance is a simple die roll as featured in many games and as complex as all of the above may seem it’s really fairly simple to follow once proper rules have been set out and a few samples of the game can be visualised (which I’ll be working on tonight instead of getting on the beer).

Like I said, I’m doing it anyway, but having some interest from the community would certainly help development along and would motivate to games design to publishing level quality.

To recap: it’s free, requires no effort in production on your part, would simulate GT in a traditional, non digital game format and might actually be bloody enjoyable to play, if any of my last games are to go by.

Hayden and Wolfe like this.
  2. BobK

BobK Premium

Sounds intriguing.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever played/heard of Speed Circuit? It was published by Milton Bradley (I believe) many years ago.

3. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

There were a few racing board games. I could have sworn they made one resembling a few NASCAR tracks. There was also "NASCAR Champions"

4. W3HS

W3HS Premium

I spent much of my free periods today researching racing games from back in the 60's until present. There are/ were games for all types of motorsport. I'm hoping I don't mimic anything I haven't yet come across in my research, I'm certain that my mechanics will differ quite a lot from that which has come before.

5. W3HS

W3HS Premium

What I’d like to do is gather some track layouts of the original GT circuits similar to the one below to base the boards on.

Any clues where I could go about getting some of those from?

5FC39349-17A1-4A82-AEEF-A4503C59E1FA.jpeg

That high level of detail isn’t necessary but I’m looking for something between this and a simple line drawing, obviously I’m looking for a set that are uniform and done in the same style.

The search begins.

StealthVel likes this.
  6. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

So something like this?:

0473B739-0B93-4E24-A000-B8A63ECB23ED.jpeg

Used to play it all the time as a kid. I think I still have it somewhere.

7. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Almost, but more attuned to the GT theme and with a modernised interface, probably a bit more involved and mature, too.

I’m wondering if this PDF is still floating around somewhere, @Jordan, it’d be a good place to start. The link brought me to a demo page that seemed to be out of action.

1D4FF0E5-EB45-4C06-B98D-DBE957CF05C0.png

8. VXR

VXR

How about having a car select board, determined by die roll? So you could have 6 locations (say Japan, Germany, UK, Italy, France or the USA) and then 6 cars per location, ranging from a hot hatch to a tuner car to a supercar? The cool thing being, the hot hatch would be slower, but more reliable?

I think it might add in more of a Gran Turismo feel.

9. TexRex

TexRex Premium

Shocked anyone on this site is proposing a game that'd be played on a...*gasp*...table.

10. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

Not sure what the boards going to look like, but if the tracks were designed in a similar scale, then people should be able to use the hot wheels line of Gran Turismo models or any tiny race car of their choosing as a substitute for game pieces. That would be pretty cool.

Maybe there can be decks or dice rolls for pit stops that determine how quickly they go. Maybe even a weather card system that makes people who didn’t “pit” for tires move a reduced number of spaces without a wet compound card. There’s a lot of possibilities for the gameplay that would really spice up the experience.

11. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Weren’t you part of the resistance? Those Brony folk got their last orders, now the tables have turned...

Pun entirely intended.

Dice rolls are to be a staple of the chance mechanism and weather/ track conditions to effect stat points has been on my mind.

Not sure about the practicality of using GT Hot Wheels as markers, although it’s a nice idea. What I’m aiming for is something that anyone can pick up and play, without additional costs other than a few print outs and some painted coins as car markers.

Tiny race cars would be good but again the limits the scale of other factors just to include something to represent a car. Think of this game more like a B-Spec RPG than simply a set of monopoly tokens jumping around a board.

I’m trying to avoid cards if chance cards if possible as from other games I know they work but add bulk to the make up of the game. In the spirit of GT I think functionality and simplify of design really offer the best design cues.

Really appreciate the input, chaps. Looking forward to presenting a draft fairly soon.

MrWaflz55 and TexRex like this.
  12. TexRex

TexRex Premium

I wasn't involved in the slightest, and despite others' efforts to inform me, I'm still not sure I fully grasp the situation...I just know tables figured prominently.

I think it--like the 2.2 Camry--is before my time.

13. W3HS

W3HS Premium

As an honourable mention I think the 2.2 Camry deserves a cheeky Easter egg in my game.

The table thing was silly. But, hey, this is still the Internet, no matter how civilised a part of it we may inhabit.

14. TexRex

TexRex Premium

Not a danged thing wrong with silliness. This is the first hint I got of those particular goings-on.

15. W3HS

W3HS Premium

That’s a blast from the past. I’d forgotten about that.

Some of us did like our tables back then.

Anyhow, back on topic, I’d say give it a week or two and I can leak some basic gameplay PDFs to give everyone a taste of what is to become of this yet-to-be-titled game.

I’m not calling it Gran Tavolo. That’s for sure.

16. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Compromise. Gran Tableau.

VXR likes this.
  17. Jordan

Jordan Administrator

Very cool idea, @W3HS.

Ah, thanks for letting me know about that broken link. It should be fixed in the article now, but you can download the file here.

Of course, I made that document and all of the track map images. I still have the source files for each track in high resolution if you want them.

18. BobK

BobK Premium

One thing that I think is very important is the game should have a fast flow to it, having to spend too much time on table lookups etc can lost the feel of a racing game.

Correction:It was originally published by 3M and later by Avalon Hill.

19. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

I was thinking you could just use match box / hot wheels cars. BYO style.

Love the idea, I vote for midfield raceway to be the track

20. W3HS

W3HS Premium

Not enough syllables.

Those his res images would be a great place to start. Thank, Jordan. Do they need to be sent through email?

Absolutely. One of the challenges I’m most looking forward to is creating a system that allows fast pace and nail biting situations.

Anyone can use what they like as tokens. I’ll provide some simple counters in the game but if you want to use your own cars there’s no reason why you couldn’t.

I do love Midfield and will certainly include it. I’m still puzzling over whether to have just GT original tracks or include some real world circuits. I don’t think they will be a need for too many, but enough to race a series, so maybe 8-10 tracks.

bjl23 likes this.
  21. Jordan

Jordan Administrator

PM sent!

22. RogsR34UK

RogsR34UK

Waddingtons released a Formula 1 board game. You could play cards to try to get an advantage. I also have Speed Circuit which was a similar idea. There is a current game called Formula D which allows open wheel and rally car racing. Two tracks in the base game with a number of expansions containing two more tracks and optional rules.

I’d be interested to see what you have to offer.

23. W3HS

W3HS Premium

First very rough track draft. I know it doesn't mean much without a set of instruction but I'm still polishing the rules of the first draft so they're somewhat incomplete. Excuse any spacial errors, those kind of things will get ironed out once the initial layout has been finalized.

This image is based on an A3 scale so the circular position markers are roughly 1cm in diameter. Small toy cars could possibly be used but they'd have to be really tiny.

I had the idea of using LEGO Minifig helmets as board pieces. They cost a few pennies each and can easily be painted and customized. For the basic game I will include player tokens in with the game's release.

Midfield Raceway.png

Thanks to Jordan for the image files, they really laid the foundation for the circuits to be built on.​

EngieDiesel, Jordan, Wolfe and 2 others like this.
  24. kikie

kikie Premium

There should at least be one spot on the table where you have to skip a few turns. >>> Because of the delays some GT games had before it was released.

25. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

Since there is (apparently) a lot of dirty racers at there, there should be a spot before a corner where someone deliberately crashes into the back of you.

26. EngieDiesel

EngieDiesel

Roll a red die if you land on a braking spot. If it comes up 1, you get punted off the track and lose a turn. If it comes up 6, you successfully dodge the rammer and get to take your next turn immediately.

Well, maybe that would be more of a house rule. :D

bjl23 likes this.
  27. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

This needs to be made into an app, that way we could all play each another.

Maybe it could be a chance card like monopoly, if you land on a certain spot you pick up a card which could say you deliberately hit someone and you have to go back a few spots.

Needs to have a pit lane square, if you land on it you have to go through the pits, which as has more squares then the track that way it takes you longer to go through,
    And if you land on a certain square in the pit lane you are getting new tyres and fuel and you miss a turn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  28. kikie

kikie Premium

But then it is not a Table Top Game anymore. :p

bjl23 likes this.
  29. bjl23

bjl23 Premium

Put your phone on a table and play the app. :sly:

30. kikie

kikie Premium

Indeed!