International A License

• Thread starter Swift
  • 90 comments
Swift
Discuss International A license tests

hmm sure...i think that some of these tests are ridiculously hard. id even go as far as to say that the skyline test with the chicane and the citroen in opera paris are harder than any s license test ive ever done. it mustve taken me over three hours to gold the skyline while the longest it took to gold out nurburgring (s16) was definitely under an hour. i dont understand why this is, but i'm just satisfied its over with. 👍

Synopsis of the 2nd thread in this forum called
Read This: GT4 Licenses Gold Medal Guide by The_Missing_Link

IA1 - Mid-Field Raceway, Complex Corners; Jaguar XJ220 `92
IA2 - Suzuka Circuit, Complex Corners; Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 V6 24V `01
IA3 - Fuji Speedway `90's, Chicanes; Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II (R34) `00

IA4 - Apricot Hill, Chicanes; FPV GT `04
IA5 - El Capitan, Full Pace Lap; Seat Ibiza Cupra `04
IA6 - Autumn Ring, Complex Corners; Honda S2000 Type V `00

IA7 - Trial Mountain Circuit, Complex Corners; RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" `87
IA8 - Hong Kong, Complex City Street Corners; Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V `98
IA9 - Opera Paris, Complex City Street Corners; Citroen Xsara VTR `03

IA10 - Fuji Speedway 2005, Full Pace Lap; Toyota Caldina GT-Four `02
IA11 - Swiss Alps, Double Hairpin; Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution Rally Raid Car `03
IA12 - Chamonix, Driving on Snow and Ice; Toyota Celica GT-Four Rally Car (ST185) `95

IA13 - Nurburgring Nordschleife, Complex Corners; BMW M5 `05
IA14 - Twin Ring Motegi Road Course, Complex Corners; TVR Tamora `02
IA15 - Nurburgring Nordschleife, Full Pace Lap; Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II `91

IA16 - Circuit De La Sarthe II, "The 240 mph Test"; Nissan R92CP Race Car `92

First of all, concentrate on just completing a lap if you haven't done so already. Don't get caught up trying to gold the test on the first time because you are almost sure to slide off the track that way. The first time I did that test, I got all the way up until the turn at the end of the long straightaway and flew off the track. After that, it took me about a good hour or so just to get back up to that point without going off the track because I was pushing the car too hard. Once you complete a lap, and if you didn't make the bronze time, redo the lap trying to improve on the sections that you did bad at and you should get it 👍

On a side note, did anyone else have loads of trouble getting gold on IA-16? Not getting the wheels to spin on that car is a very hard yet critical task. And how about that force feedback going down the long straightaway?

Okay. How far off are you from the bronze time? Have you completed a lap yet? That car had pretty decent handling so it shouldn't be too big a task. Just mainly concentrate on trying to get a clean lap in and then go from there.

FuryX21
Okay. How far off are you from the bronze time? Have you completed a lap yet? That car had pretty decent handling so it shouldn't be too big a task. Just mainly concentrate on trying to get a clean lap in and then go from there.

The Pace Car is throwing me off with its strange breake points. I am 10 secs behind bronze lap time. The pace car gets in my way...I can do better break points...in practice mode I can do 9:30...yet the pace car restricts my movements and speeds. :yuck:

I passed this mission 8s ahead of the Gold time.

I nearly overtook the pace car on two of the long straights, had to tap off to avoid going right past him. :scared:

One hint, stay in the draft as much as you can, it helps for a faster time... :dopey:

zfuryz
The Pace car...is getting in my way. I wish I can shoot it out of the track...

Then you got a serious problem on your hands... If you keep up with the pace car and keep catching it, you should have gold easily... You must be doing something wrong somewhere else...

zfuryz
The Pace car...is getting in my way. I wish I can shoot it out of the track...

You can give it a love tap to encourage it to go a little faster. Just don't hit it too hard. And watch out; it brakes way early in places.

He he... I will post the MaxDrive replay of this later, but a couple of nights ago, whilst golding the licenses for the second time, I was having a bit of trouble with IA1 (IA1 - Mid-Field Raceway, Complex Corners; Jaguar XJ220 `92)
After negotiating the first corner, I ran a bit wide into the section under the bridge and had my approach to the first hairpin all wrong... too fast and out of position, I started to slide, so I thought 'what the hell', and slammed on the e-brake and did a nice drift round the corner... to my amazement, I got a beautiful line for a fast exit out of the hairpin and was a good couple of tenths ahead of my 'grip' ghost, and got the gold... I'm not a drifter and I've never seen drifting quicker than grip before, but this was proof positive that sometimes it can be... :dopey:

FuryX21
And how about that force feedback going down the long straightaway?

Tell me about it.. I'm redoing all the tests now for my third game (first one with wheel instead of d-pad) and the feedback is killing me.. I was .050ish from silver on my first run, but it felt like my arms were gonna snap or something, so I left it at that for now... I'm not quite capable of golding everything anyway. That was my only bronze so far though, and I hope I don't have to run it too many times to claim the silver... Group C cars in GT4 are so very :yuck:

I did notice that once you start steering ever so slightly (onto mulsanne straight for instance), the car becomes smooth again.. center the wheel and it starts shaking.. I'm gonna see if using "simulation" wheel setting and active steering makes it any better..

Definitely not looking forward to doing M23 with the DF :nervous:

I found Test IA-16 quite easy and having just redone it I’ll share. Note I use a DS2 usually with AT.

Rules: Never use second gear, after first bend do not accelerate on the rumble strips or grass, stay off the grass. Use MT even if you always use AT, it is easy as there are few gear changes. Change gear up just after going into the red (practise you’ll soon work out where).

I noticed extra track width on the left before the marker at the first turn. I quickly realised that you could use this to go faster through turn one in 4th ! So, after the start move left, and use the extra width. Stay in 4th through the first bend. Brake, turn in, cruise briefly and accelerate, change up to 5th early on Mulsanne. Go down the Mulsanne keeping in the left lane (ie left of centre). Straighten out the kink. Brake as soon as you see the rumble strips on the right and change down to 3rd. Turn in and gently accelerate around the bend, then floor it, changing up to 4th & 5th as you need to.

At the third right kink brake and shift down to 4th as soon as you see the white rumble strip, then accelerate through the turn, get to the right and before the end of the wider tarmac brake, change down to 3rd (no more gear changes !) and turn in. Gently accelerate through the apex then floor it.

As soon as the gear indicator lights up to 2 brake hard and start turning in. Stay in 3rd and gently nurse through the apex, then accelerate to the line. A sub 1m 42s is quite attainable.

Hope this helps.

Steven

i just did the IA test and i found it easy

the first couple of tests were very average. then when i reached the 15th test with the benz and the nurburgring track i thought this one was gonna take me hours to pass because i don't even know the track properly. anyways, i got off to a very fast start, pressing really hard, something i probably shouldn't have done :banghead: because after i was doing soo good i ran into the back of him :mischievous: because he drives too freaking slow!! i can bet it's bspec bob driving. anyways i remembered seeing a post where someone said along the lines of, "concentrate on completing the lap first if you haven't done so already." so that's what i did. i figured i'll just do a slow 'warm up' lap and get about 9min 30sec, and from there just keep shaving off time. to my surprise i was doing good. on the really long straight however i came right up under the skyline's bumper :scared: and then backed off... anwyays, i ended up getting 9min 3sec on my second try, i figured silver is OK

ViXeN
Then you got a serious problem on your hands... If you keep up with the pace car and keep catching it, you should have gold easily... You must be doing something wrong somewhere else...
Man, talk about serious problem, I keep bumping the back of the pace car to encourage him to go faster, my first finish: 9,05,3xx.
That pace car driver (I don't dare call him a race driver) is driving like he's scared of every corner, some fast corners I know I can take without even thinking of braking, but, that guy slows down so much I realy have watch out not to overtake him.

Man, I've done faster laps than he does in much, much, much slower cars than the one he's driving.

SjefGielen
Man, talk about serious problem, I keep bumping the back of the pace car to encourage him to go faster, my first finish: 9,05,3xx.
That pace car driver (I don't dare call him a race driver) is driving like he's scared of every corner, some fast corners I know I can take without even thinking of braking, but, that guy slows down so much I realy have watch out not to overtake him.

Man, I've done faster laps than he does in much, much, much slower cars than the one he's driving.
Sjef, you can't drive the ring like your used to on this test. Unfortunately you are forced to adapt your driving style to that of the pace car, even if your driving style is quicker. But the sooner you accept you need to drive like the pace car does, the sooner you'll get the gold. The skyline uses a (very) slow in/fast out style and you need to do the same, even if it means braking in places where you would not brake normaly.
9.03.xxx was about the best I could manage trying to drive this test my way and having to brake or dodge because of the pace car :ouch: . Once I learned to just follow and copy the pace car I got 8.56.444 :cheers:

Bad1
Sjef, you can't drive the ring like your used to on this test. Unfortunately you are forced to adapt your driving style to that of the pace car, even if your driving style is quicker. But the sooner you accept you need to drive like the pace car does, the sooner you'll get the gold. The skyline uses a (very) slow in/fast out style and you need to do the same, even if it means braking in places where you would not brake normaly.
9.03.xxx was about the best I could manage trying to drive this test my way and having to brake or dodge because of the pace car :ouch: . Once I learned to just follow and copy the pace car I got 8.56.444 :cheers:

That's exactly my conclusion, I figure 9,05,xxx on my first lap completion should get me well under 9 minutes after a few more laps.

But ... correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the game itself which states that the pacecar will adjust its speed to yours!
On the previous one lap guided runs I believe this is true, but on this one, I personaly think that when the testcar is getting within a few cm's distance of the pace cars rear bumper, the pace car driver should gain some speed, especialy when there's no corner coming up anytime soon. I think the pace car does take some distance when exiting slow corners so I'll try to keep close to him before corners, he'll pull away on corner exit and I'll be getting closer till the next corner comes up.
Just have to be veeeeeerrrrrrrrry carefull not to hit him to hard or pass him:scared:

I guess there's no use in complaining, it's not like the game will be changed if we do, so I'll try to live with it and keep on trying to gold the test.

um, what the hell? why is IA12 so insanely easy? i just golded it on my first attempt, ever, just guiding the car around the corners and looking up at the map to see what shape corner is coming next. i nearly span twice and was in the wrong gear for about 10 secs. wtf? i don't see how anyone could fail it...

edit - actually, yeah, this whole test is freaking easy. golded the first 14 in two days playing, just silvered 15 on my first try, second time round the whole 'ring (i took my rx8 out for one test lap first, got 8:46 - actually faster, but the rx8 is *so* nice to drive and there was no damn pace car to screw me up). either i'm getting a lot better at driving, or ia is easier than ib...weird.

IA15 - Nürburgring Nordschleife, Full Pace Lap; Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II `91

I golded this license on my second game save on my first try. It was that easy.....now anyway...(but still struggling with M34 :confused: as a side note)

The only real challenge on IA-15 is not hitting the pace car, which does some Schumacher-esque brake checks :ouch:

I currently have a 1':46.628" on that test. I don't know what level that is; probably silver. In the upper level licenses I've tended to quit after getting silver, unless gold was in easy reach.

I don't know Le Sarthe terribly well, so I mostly learned it on this license test. The main thing for this one is to manage boost effectively - the car has massive lag.

1) Never put the throttle down hard when the front wheels are turned. Ever.

2) Stay a gear higher than you'd think through the turns. That gives you time to coast through and straighten the fronts before the boost kicks in, and once it does, the higher gear helps control wheelspin.

3) Brake early into the sharp turn at the end of the main straight, then coast through the apex, avoiding the curbs. This thing has no suspension travel and it will hop all around if you're not careful.

4) In the section after the sharp rights, leading onto the second long straights, you can hold your foot into it almost up to the sharp left that ends it. Just steer small and avoid dipping any toes into the grass.

5) Brake early for the swervy bits leading up to the S/F line, and don't get lost in here. It can get confusing.

Slightly like what Duke said

Tip for license 16 using manual gears, at the square turns, don't go down to gear 2, it causes lots of wheelspin and slows you down, instead go down to gear 3.

I golded it this way, going down to gear to given me a Bronze :yuck:

I've tried staying in 3rd for Mulsanne, Indianapolis, and Arnage, but it's always slower than when I drop to 2nd for these corners. Using 3rd gear will work to get the lower medals, but getting gold is easiest if you use 2nd gear. Just work on that throttle control. It's not easy, but it can be done.

Well..I was really worried about IA15, the one lap guide run around The Ring...but after 3 off road excursions I managed to gold it with my first *completed* effort since silvering it months ago, 8'53.917

So many times I traded paint with the pace car and so many times had so much more speed then it...it did make me a little nervous when I was getting close so I tended to back off a little, worried I'd smash into the back or late break and go past it

The race with the nissan r92cp race car.
On the turn after the long straight, I cant go like the demo car.
After I turn(like the demo car, and infact better than it) I acccelerate but when I am in 3rd gear, the engine shoots up to the red line instantly (im not driving on grass or sand, nor the curb) and when i go to 4th gear i get little acceleration. The demo car always gets a good "kick" of power where i have problems. I :

Avoided the curbs, grass, and sand.
If I avoided those, I tried full throttle with my wheels straight
I tried going in both 3rd and 4th gear
I tried using about 80-90% throttle after the turn

Nothing seems to work. It seems as if I need to go through this "special spot" on the road which gives me good grip and will let me get that good boost wihout wheelspin.

Please help.
(I just need to get 0'00.600 better)

Your problem is slamming into full throttle straight away, you need to just aim for a little throttle control when you come out of the corner.

When a car redlines just like that, and you shift and find you have very slow acceleration in the next gear up, it's because the wheels are spinning in 3rd (or whatever gear you're in at that point) and you don't get up to speed, so it takes twice as long for you to get up to speed in 4th.

Latest Posts

Back