International B License

• Thread starter Swift
  • 41 comments
I've did it over and over again. I guess it's just a combination of throttle control and practice. I got bronzewhile drifting the thing :D . It ain't easy though.

Try to start aggresive

I found the 2nd slalom to be one of the hardest to gold. I actually gave up on it several times. Then, one day, it all came together on one run and !gold!. To this day I don't know what I did differently and I bet if I tried it again it have the same problems. I just think you have to have a bit of luck on this one. But then they say that lots of practice seems to make you luckier...

My brother was watching through the gap of the door when i was doing the NON TCS one, and was impressed by how well i drove. i managed to slide out a few times by accident and was gonna give in completely until i had that 'just one more time' moment

To get the cones test right it's all about tapping the accelerator lightly or releasing it as you are turning. If you tap it while you are doing the slalom the car will stay in control as long as you are sensitive with the steering.

Does that help anyone? 👍

I can't do section 15, the guided lap around some track, i keep hitting walls, cos there's no space and the track is really thin. 👎 Can anyone please help me?

Thanx

first what's the track in IB-15
second a-spec points really is just for fun and do not give anything, and third
use the edit button :)

Synopsis of the very large 2nd thread in this forum called
Read This: GT4 Licenses Gold Medal Guide by The_Missing_Link

IB1 - Tsukuba Circuit, Trail Braking; Hyundai Tiburon GT `01
IB2 - Nurburgring Nordschleife, Trail Braking; Mercedes-Benz SL500 (R129) `98
IB3 - Suzuka Circuit, Spoon Hairpin; Honda Prelude Type S `98

IB4 - Deep Forest Raceway, Middle Section; Audi S4 `03
IB5 - Costa Di Amalfi, Full Pace Lap; Peugeot 206 RC `03
IB6 - Fuji Speedway, Cone Slalom--ASM On; BMW Z4 `03

IB7 - Fuji Speedway, Cone Slalom--ASM Off; BMW Z4 `03
IB8 - New York, Successive 90-Degree Flat Corners; Chrysler Crossfire `04
IB9 - Citti Di Aria, Tight City Street Turns; Volkswagen Bora V6 4Motion `01

IB10 - Hong Kong, Full Pace Lap; MGF `97
IB11 -Grand Canyon, High-Speed Dirt Techniques; Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR `04
IB12 - Ice Arena, Driving on Ice and Snow; Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) `91

IB13 - El Capitan, Undulating Ess Turns; Ford Focus RS `02
IB14 - El Capitan, Complex, Undulating Corners; Mercedes-Benz SL 600 (R320) `04
IB15 - Citta Di Aria, Full Pace Lap; Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600 `65

IB16 - Citta Di Aria, Graduation Test; Lotus Esprit V8 `02

I'm not sure if this is any help but to get GOLD on the prologue Slalom test I used a technique of tapping the accelerator throughtout the test...

Start of the line (Need to do this well as you can easily lose half a second from a poor launch) get upto speed and then keep tapping the accelerator to maintain a constant speed throughout the entire test until the last couple then floor it through and across the line.

Keep practicing this and then raise the average speed slowly and surely and you will cut your times down...

It worked on Prologue got me gold by .001 of a second!!! Never did the test again!!

I hated the Slaloms on GT3... hoped they weren't gonna be in GT4!!!

C.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its 1.51am and i just did IB7 Gold! and now i realise that i've been sat doing it over and over for nearly 4 hrs without leaving my chair or the screen! :S can't be good for your health?

anyways, i think this should win most annoying and tedious part of any game i've ever played ever. how many times have you nearly smashed the hell out o the screen when it claims that you clipped the last cone while crossing the line on a 17.6XX?

oh, and btw, on my WINNING run, i crossed the line sliding out n nearly went backwards through the gap n the cones!? right, time for sleep. gotta be at work in 7 hours, though i can sleep safe in the knowledge i shall never have to touch this challenge again! until restart....

AMG_SLK
Synopsis of the very large 2nd thread in this forum called
Read This: GT4 Licenses Gold Medal Guide by The_Missing_Link

I found these tests a pain in the ass at first too, so a got bronze on both back in the day when i started to play. Now after 3-4 months and 50% got back to them and found out that they aren't so hard. My tactic was to tap the brakes before the turn, but only about half way the course. After that I floored the BMW and agressively drifted the remaining cones. This made my speed constant for the first half of the course and speed accelerating till the end of the course. This made the last two sets of cones quite hard, but time saved sweet. :) Anyway golded both with just a few tries.

it only took me about 30 mins to gold 'em both - I guess having a wheel (plain DF, not DFP) helps. i took an intentionally very wide line through the first three gates - i found this meant you could keep it floored for the next two or three, gradually taking tighter lines, without getting any loss of traction. then i'd brake slightly for one gate, and floor it through the final gates again. was 0.4 under for the one with tcs and 0.2 under for the one without, because i didn't bother learning to get a fast start (just launched at full throttle and let the wheels spin all the way through first gear).

AdamW
because i didn't bother learning to get a fast start (just launched at full throttle and let the wheels spin all the way through first gear).

Ya, me too. I sometimes test the proper start, but cant get it any faster than full throttle start. I think that with GT3 the proper start was more usefull, if you launched in GT3 with the right revs, the car "jumped" from the line and gave you a good start.

I completed these two test last night going for Gold times as my last two tests to complete for 80 Gold licenses. I saved these two for last because of how much I can't stand the look feel and set up of the tests in the driving simulator. I mentioned driving simulator because if anyone has ever driven an open two seater through as set of cones at high speed, these two tests provide nothing close to the real thing.
The problem with the simulation test is that the driving positions available in GT4 do not put you in a view that is realistically required in real life. The one factor in successfully driving through a set of cones is having the ability to use the corner of the car over each front fender to accurately judge your distance from the cones on approach. If a turn is taken properly you will lose the cone at some point under the sheet metal but until then it is the one factor that you rely on during the real life test.
Having the real life experience under my belt makes these two tests very frustrating. The view I found most helpful was what I call "The bumper view". This view, however, puts you ahead of the cone during a turn and causes you to lose view of it at the time you want to keep your eye on it most! The other views inaccurately knock over cones when from what your vantage point shows you are clearly away from the cone. This is what is wrong about the test. I found myself trying to find the point to judge close to or far from the cones instead of driving through quickly.
In short, after knocking these damn things over when I thought I had cleared them several times I came to realize that the tests are not a test of the fastest time through the finish line but a test to the fastest time to the second to last set of cones, the last left, before the finish line. From this point on if the car is in a good postilion and behaving nicely you are just going full throttle to the finish. This is the only advise I have for the Gold completion of the tests.
I would love to see a GT5 feature that allows you to customize and save a personal view in the game using a sort of zoom in/out change angle save type of feature so you could set your driving position in the way you like to drive in real life. If this could be accomplished then I would say leave the cone type tests in the game, otherwise I could do without them entirely.

They're doing my nut in again, just can't crack them for that very reason alone...the fact it's clear I've passed the cones but they still fall over. Unless there's going to be a driving mission or some kind of slalom race in the game, I could do without these full stop in GT5

The 3 pace car laps are the only thing keeping me from all golding the IB license:ouch: After these I think I'll go back to racing for a lil bit with my newfound knowledge before I attempt IA and S.

How about IB-16 in the Lotus Esprit? It was a long time ago but my best was 18.969, I think this was the one I had the hardest time with on International B.

These are bad photos but it's the best I can do on my cellphone.

It felt like a pretty perfect run.

Okay, I'm taking lots of pictures via USB of the test and will try to get them together in movie maker, will be intersting to see how it turns out...

Have you seen the IB-2 Demonstation? It's a complete failure, doesn't even cross the finish line.

edit: i think that's because i use the ps3, i saw more demonstrations that were odd.

Has anyone got any video's of their gold runs for the cone slaloms. I would really appreciate seeing them. Thanks. Oh, off topic, Merry Christmas to everyone.

I've found Holl01's video's on youtube. I can't see how he drives so fast. Holl01, how do you do it. Has anyone got any tips for the cone slalom's, I am really struggling with them and I am trying to gold all the licenses. Any help would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any video's of their gold runs for the cone slaloms. I would really appreciate seeing them. Thanks. Oh, off topic, Merry Christmas to everyone.

I've found Holl01's video's on youtube. I can't see how he drives so fast. Holl01, how do you do it. Has anyone got any tips for the cone slalom's, I am really struggling with them and I am trying to gold all the licenses. Any help would be gratefully received.

I have videos of those two tests on my harddrive. Unfortunately, the computer that harddrive is attached to won't start. If noone beats me to it, I'll post them as soon as I get my new computer up and running, hopefully early next week.

The key to the slaloms is being patient, if you go too fast (the stress of a ticking clock causes you to develop lead-foot-syndrome..) you'll lose grip and spin out or touch the cones. Find the right rhythm around the cones, turn without touching the throttle, then a short burst of acceleration, then turn with no throttle, then another short burst and so on. Remember, slower is faster.:sly:

Tack från sverige. :)

Been watching Holl01's video's on you tube, but Jeez, he is some driver, still can't work them out, he is just so fast. I got 50 gold's but no hope of driving like him.

Thanks for your help. I'll check back later

The great thing is, you don't have to drive like him. You can definitely clear a somewhat wider path around the cones and do some throttle lifting and still get a gold. The most amazing part for me is how he never releases the throttle. I could understand how the ASM could basically slow you down on its own, but it seems like the test with no aids should require some throttle lifting. Not for an alien, I suppose!

I know, It just looks like he gets faster and faster without lifting off at all. I watched it, and just stood shaking my head. I couldn't believe it. He sure is some driver, I just hope I can be half as good as him. Utterly brilliant. Hats off to him.

Here are my videos of the two slaloms, both using two different camera angles.
Nothing like the Holl01 videos, but I think this might be an easier and less frustrating way to get gold..

IB-6:

IB-7:

By the way, I have replays saved of all 80 license tests, so if you need any more videos, let me know..

Latest Posts

Back