internet conection, is it true???

• Thread starter robi
  • 19 comments
hi every one,
i was on a web site look if the Xbox and Game cube are better then the PS2, and i found out that most people say get a PS2, more games and stuff, but i also found out that the Xbox has 56K connection and the Cube is going to get on soon and broadband, it said that PS2 is getting 56K and broadband in 2002, i was just wondering if its true, and if it is when, i live in australia so it is going to come out like 3 months after EVERY else, so dose any one know any dates and how much its going to cost.
any help would be very cool.
cya later
Robi

Originally posted by robi
hi every one,
i was on a web site look if the Xbox and Game cube are better then the PS2, and i found out that most people say get a PS2, more games and stuff, but i also found out that the Xbox has 56K connection and the Cube is going to get on soon and broadband, it said that PS2 is getting 56K and broadband in 2002, i was just wondering if its true, and if it is when, i live in australia so it is going to come out like 3 months after EVERY else, so dose any one know any dates and how much its going to cost.
any help would be very cool.
cya later
Robi

Xbox skipped the 56k, went straight to Broadband.

PS2 is getting Broadband, Sometime this year.

Gamecube has the slot for a Broadband adaptor, although i dont know when it will come out.

I dont think any of the consoles will get 56k support.

so the internet conection is just going to so you can play other people in like a race of GT3 and so on right , you won't be able to go on the internet and use it like you would like a computers internet?????

so the internet conection is just going to so you can play other people in like a race of GT3 and so on right , you won't be able to go on the internet and use it like you would like a computers internet?????

It depends on the interface.

With the Dreamcast you could play online games, and surf the 'net. I'm sure the PS2/XBox/GC will be like this too.

Don't worry - I think that the Playstation 2 is going to be the leader of the pack...

Check this out... :eek:

Attachments

• cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 73
The PS2 is already online, if you have a broadband connection, buy Tony Hawk 3, and a USB ethernet adapter. I've played several times, and it's pretty good.
The Xbox is also online, but not "officially." Halo and a few other games are playable online using your PC as a conduit with Gamespy. It's actually pretty good as long as you have a fast connection. :D
The Gamecube is slated to have a broadband adapter available about the same time as the PS2 and Xbox go online, but we shall see....
As I see it, neither the Xbox or the PS2 will survive without Broadband gaming while the other thrives on it. Nintendo however has always appealed to younger gamers (older gamers as well, but those are generally hardcore gamers :)) With a younger crowd, Online gaming won't be quite the issue it is as with the Xbox and PS2 which will see ton's of MP action in homes, and college dorms.

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
The PS2 is already online, if you have a broadband connection, buy Tony Hawk 3, and a USB ethernet adapter. I've played several times, and it's pretty good.
The Xbox is also online, but not "officially." Halo and a few other games are playable online using your PC as a conduit with Gamespy. It's actually pretty good as long as you have a fast connection. :D
The Gamecube is slated to have a broadband adapter available about the same time as the PS2 and Xbox go online, but we shall see....
As I see it, neither the Xbox or the PS2 will survive without Broadband gaming while the other thrives on it. Nintendo however has always appealed to younger gamers (older gamers as well, but those are generally hardcore gamers :)) With a younger crowd, Online gaming won't be quite the issue it is as with the Xbox and PS2 which will see ton's of MP action in homes, and college dorms.

College dorms are a sesspool for console and computer gaming. Oh, and peer to peer networking ... (: Most dorms are on switched 100mbit networks, so if four guys had XBoxes, they could easily get 16 player games of Halo going. That's about the only reason why I would live in a dorm. The geek factor is amazing (:

~LoudMusic

so how much do you think sony are going to see that nice looking set up??? afew thou, but would you have to bye the screen and keyboard and mouse and mouse pad( i just had to put that last on in , hehehehehehe) well cya later
robi

P.S, hope you like the pic, i do.

Attachments

• projectrice.jpg
    projectrice.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
so how much do you think sony are going to see that nice looking set up??? afew thou, but would you have to bye the screen and keyboard and mouse and mouse pad( i just had to put that last on in , hehehehehehe) well cya later
robi

P.S, hope you like the pic, i do.

Heh heh, good picture (:

The hardware: there is currently a "Linux for PS2" distribution in developement. I think all they've got left is translating the Japanese version to English (w00t!). The package comes with everything but the screen. You need a "sync on green" display to configure Linux, but after that you can plug whatever adapter you were using back in and plug your TV back in.

"Sync on Green" is basically "multi-sync". All modern monitors are multi-sync. That means that the computer sends a video signal and the monitor figures out how to translate it into a picture. Older monitors were 'fixed frequency', and the computer had to output the signal just the way the monitor could receive it.

http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5518

http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5385

http://playstation2-linux.com/

http://www.us.playstation.com/

http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4024

ps2linux_contents.jpg

Hope this all helps! (:

~LoudMusic

And it can be any USB ethernet adapter? If not where would one go to get the one for the PS2? I have not seen this before. But if it can be anytype of USB ethernet adapter than that would be cool and ill have to check it out.

Well here's the list of choices it has in the game:
Network Adapter (Ethernet) for PS2
Network Adapter (PPPoE) for PS2
USB Ethernet adapter :D
USB ethernet adapeter (PPoE)
Network Adapter (modem) for PS2
USB modem

(DSL Users use PPPoE)

You may be able to connect directly from your cable modem (If that's what you use) if it has a USB output. I'm not positive on that though...
I connect the Adapter into my Router, and it's good to go with zero setup and hassles. :D

And yes, it can be any type of USB adapter, it has no specifications as to brands. You shouldn't have any problem looking for one now that you know of it's existence though, as they are widely available. :D

Well here's the list of choices it has in the game:
Network Adapter (Ethernet) for PS2
Network Adapter (PPPoE) for PS2
USB Ethernet adapter :D
USB ethernet adapeter (PPoE)
Network Adapter (modem) for PS2
USB modem

(DSL Users use PPPoE)

You may be able to connect directly from your cable modem (If that's what you use) if it has a USB output. I'm not positive on that though...
I connect the Adapter into my Router, and it's good to go with zero setup and hassles. :D

And yes, it can be any type of USB adapter, it has no specifications as to brands. You shouldn't have any problem looking for one now that you know of it's existence though, as they are widely available. :D

Cool man thanks. :D

This is from MacUser (UK) Online magazine today:

Sony reveals PS2 broadband plans
Sony has unveiled detailed plans for a PlayStation 2-based broadband service, due to commence this April. It is a Japan-only announcement, but Europe will follow.

At a press conference in Japan yesterday, Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, revealed his company's plans to take PlayStation 2 gaming into the broadband era. The service, named PlayStation BB, will be operational from April and will allow PS2 users to access the Internet, download and play MP3 music files, watch videos via RealPlayer, download games and utilise email and instant messaging functions. Furthermore, emulation software will be included, allowing users to download and play PSone and PS2 games.

In addition, Sony revealed an extensive list of titles from third-party developers, expected to take advantage of broadband.

A quick glance at the list, however, reveals that many companies have listed untitled games, and insiders suggest that in some cases they are simply showing support for the service, rather than having anything concrete to announce. Details are scarce on many of the products, but one UK source suggested that the Namco 3D flight action game was space-based and that Project Venus was a MMORPG not dissimilar to Xenosaga.

We contacted Sony Europe for information on its broadband plans for this continent, but a spokesperson state: 'This is a Japan-only announcement. Sony will make an announcement regarding broadband in Europe at a later date.'

Thought you might find that interesting. :)

i play tony hawk3 online through usb modem!!!!

it is very fun and never lags... even at my connection speed -56k
😈
:D
:cheeburga
:)
:P

Originally posted by DessViperV-10
i play tony hawk3 online through usb modem!!!!

it is very fun and never lags... even at my connection speed -56k
😈
:D
:cheeburga
:)
:P

Wow, that's a pretty good report. Is there some kind of server based thing like Battle.net for all the Blizzard games?

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Wow, that's a pretty good report. Is there some kind of server based thing like Battle.net for all the Blizzard games?

~LoudMusic

They have 3 servers (If I remember correctly) that you log onto and choose from. Then within each server, you can either host, or join a game. Sort of like playing Quake or similar type games. (not quite like battle.net in that you, not they, host the games.)

They have 3 servers (If I remember correctly) that you log onto and choose from. Then within each server, you can either host, or join a game. Sort of like playing Quake or similar type games. (not quite like battle.net in that you, not they, host the games.)

Well, as far as I know, Battle.net was just a 'meeting ground' to start a battle. The players actually host the game, but Battle.net gave them a place to meet. This is evident when you have a very long game and everyone looses their connection to Battle.net. The game continues, but the results don't get reported to Battle.net.

This is all a thing of the past anyway, with the 1.09b patch players can start IP games using UDP over the Internet. WEEEEEE.

~LoudMusic

Well, as far as I know, Battle.net was just a 'meeting ground' to start a battle. The players actually host the game, but Battle.net gave them a place to meet. This is evident when you have a very long game and everyone looses their connection to Battle.net. The game continues, but the results don't get reported to Battle.net.

This is all a thing of the past anyway, with the 1.09b patch players can start IP games using UDP over the Internet. WEEEEEE.

~LoudMusic

What do you play on b.net?

~LoudMusic

Ahhh, I always thought Battle.net hosted the games... It's been such a long time since Warcraft 2....

What do you play on b.net?

I used to play StarCraft/Broodwars a lot. It just got old I guess. It's still a great game though - my friends and I play at LAN parties.

Ahhh, I always thought Battle.net hosted the games... It's been such a long time since Warcraft 2....

That's pretty much was I was thinking until I had been disconnected one night, "Your connection to Battle.net has been lost" and the other guy and I got to talking about it.

~LoudMusic

Back