IRS Bridgestone Karting Series Season 2 | Fridays 9PM EST | Rd 5 tonight!!!

• Thread starter damonc84
  • 146 comments
Apex takes the W on home turf!!!

20180729133934.jpg

Brands Hatch Indy was site of the 2nd round of the IRS Bridgestone Karting Series. Coming off the dominating performeance at Willow, @_ApexPredator was looking for similar success at his home venue. At the end of qualifying it was shown that Apex would have his work cut out for him this night with @Antares26 making his first appearance of the season in the Oreos sponsored Clockwork Motorsports entry. Antares would take the top spot in qualifying by just under .010 of a second. The start of Heat 1 would see the two going battle instantly from ending in a lap 2 lagg induced incident between the two. Both would drop behind the but would work their way back up to get 2nd (Apex) and 3rd (Antares). @SRT DK Racing would go on to claim the first heat win for DRT Racing and Antares would take the fastest lap.

20180729133814.jpg

Heat 2 with the reverse grid seen some chaos in the first few corners, but no major incidents happened with Apex making progress to the front before the end of lap 1 from the last row. the 10 lap went by fast with Apex, SRT and Noir taking the top 3 spots and Antares taking fast lap for the heat. Based on heat race points, that is how they would also start the final. The on track evening approached the lights went green for the 20 Lap Final race, Apex and SRT managed to get a good start with DRT Racing's @damonc84 slotting in 3rd. After a small mistake by SRT, Apex took the lead by the end of lap 1 with Antares passing Damon for his spot putting the two fastest racers of the night in the top spots. Apex and Antares would swap to top spot numerous times during the races with Antares having the slight edge going into the final lap, which would see Apex and Antares involved in another lagg induced racing incident pushing Antares wide at turn 3 and Apex to drive away with his 2nd Final win of the season as well as claiming fast lap for the race and setting a new track record. Noir would retain 2nd over SRT in 3rd. @aceboy127 and @CAB114 would finish 4th and 5th benefiting from damon who ran out of fuel on the main straight of the final lap. @Searays2 would round out the feild. Round 3 takes place this Friday night for the first time at the Lago Maggiore Circuit's Center layout. Apex holds a healthy lead in the championship at this point going into a new venue for the kart series where anything can happen.

20180729133929.jpg

Additional Race Photos:

20180729133757.jpg

20180729133822.jpg

20180729133849.jpg

20180729133843.jpg

20180729133854.jpg

20180729133745.jpg

20180729133910.jpg

20180729133838.jpg

20180729133905.jpg

20180729133923.jpg

Same here, new DR Kart suits have been sent off to @SRT DK Racing and @bigbeefytaco . Looking to have three DRT Racing/DR Racing Karts on the grid for this Friday to hopefully bring DR Kart a great results on home turf, if not Danillo might pull his supplier deal from me. :crazy::lol:

20180730233319.jpg

note: Carbon helmet is just temporary, should have a new lid from the painter in time for the race. :sly:

Same here, new DR Kart suits have been sent off to @SRT DK Racing and @bigbeefytaco . Looking to have three DRT Racing/DR Racing Karts on the grid for this Friday to hopefully bring DR Kart a great results on home turf, if not Danillo might pull his supplier deal from me. :crazy::lol:

View attachment 755502

note: Carbon helmet is just temporary, should have a new lid from the painter in time for the race. :sly:

I feel a big need to comment on that suplier deal possible regret you mention , but probaly best I dont 💡:rolleyes:

Don't know if this is going to be off topic, but to me it is important for you guys to be aware of it, in case some of you still don't are ;)

As some of you may know, last update brought some changes in the tyre modelling.
Had some time yesterday and today to make some tests, here are my thoughts on what I felt and it will help as I hope to understand what happens or/and some may add their own experiences, maybe things I didn't notice.
Some things are better now, others got weird.

Good things first, karts lap faster now, even pretty much faster...at least for me :D
I also noticed better longitudinal grip. Wheels doesn't spin any more that much on starts in first gear. I noticed the same when braking.

On the weird side and while it seems longitudinal grip has increased, the lateral grip seems slightly weaker, or at least unchanged. This, at least to me, seems to be more the case on the rear axle. On the front, in some cases it feels better than before, in some other cases worst.

Another point concerns the way tires lose grip and regain grip again. Before update, I managed very well to hold that little amount of slide through turns to get faster through them. Also recovering from bigger slides wasn't really an issue. that's pretty different now.

I can explain this the best in a virtual lap at Tsukuba since I've practiced a lot with karts there since GT5.

First turn I feel better front grip on entry, but this may also be because of the better brake performance now!? However, it looks like I can hold the line better through apex, even when entering fast and early. On exit under acceleration I have much more grip being able to go on full throttle sooner. But going to early flat out still results in excessive oversteer, which is more difficult to control now.

Second turn was a real struggle for me at the beginning. More oversteer at the entry, closing to the apex getting more front grip until exit. Here usually I go flat out as soon I release the brakes and getting that slight, to me easy to control an hold oversteer, who allowed me to go around that turn full throttle. Now as soon as I get on full throttle I also get that light oversteer, but way more difficult to control now. Had lots of spins there last 2 days :)

Turn three (Dunlop Turn), the fast right hander, easy flat out turn for me until last update. After lots of practice I'm still able to go flat out, but it is more difficult, have to hit the right turn in point and drive very smooth through it. It's very easy now to either go wide (understeer) or get a massive oversteer...sometimes even both at the same time :lol:

Last hairpin was a bit "different" at the beginning, but after a few laps it isn't an issue for me anymore.

Last turn is now very similar to the Dunlop turn. It's way more important now to hit the perfect turn in point. Otherwise its very easy to go wide or spin. Even hitting the right turn in point, I have to be very smooth on the steering if I wanna go flat out and avoid little slides who would kill the speed. Also unlike in the past, I'm struggling to get control of a slide there. Mostly ending in a spin or a considerable loss of speed.

Would be interesting if someone has experienced similar behaviour 👍

Please consider that I've not raced ad all until yesterday since several weeks. My feelings could result from being rusty ;)

After a week off and a fresh update from PD, who is ready to race? Round 3, Season 2 of the IRS Bridgestone Karting Series, here is the tentative schedule for Lago Maggiore Center. (Times are in US Eastern Standard time)

Link to time converter for our European and Asia-Pacific Region racers - https://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_US-FL.aspx

8:15pm - 8:45pm – Room Opens, Free Practice (Track Time set to 6:10 Clear)
9:00pm - 9:10pm - Qualifying - 10 minutes (Track time set to 9:30 Cloudy)
9:15pm – Heat Race 1 - 10 Laps - (Grid Set by Qualifying Results, Track Time set to 11:30 Fine Weather)
9:30pm – Heat Race 2 - 10 Laps - (Grid Set by Reverse Qualifying Results, Track Time set to 18:15 Clear)
9:45pm – Feature Race - 20 Laps - (Grid Set by least accumulated Heat Race Points, Track Time set to 20:00 Clear)

No Track Record is held for this layout

Lobby will be opened between 8:15pm and 8:45pm and will be hosted by @damonc84 (PSN: damon84c) , be sure to add him to you PSN friends list because the room will be set to friends only, if room is opened earlier or later I will notify everyone via a post in this thread. I will also have the a Party chat open via psn (mainly for room access if needed) I will also have a Discord channel open as well for all race communications. Upon entry into the room please enter track as soon as possible so a visibility check can be done to ensure that there is no connectivity issues between racers. Once connectivity checks are completed we will start the event. For the new racers that will be competing with us for the first time be sure to read the Livery requirements in the OP, I will be checking prior to qualifying to make sure everyone's livery is compliant. If it is not compliant you will be asked to correct it before qualifying starts. For qualifying I will have the Track Limit penalty set to weak. For the the race I will have this turned off. Driving options will stay at no limit for the time being.

Series Updates
  • Rounds 4 and 5 have been moved to new venues, Round 4 will be held on Alsace - Village in France and Round 5 will be held at Tsukuba Circuit in Japan
  • Livery Rules have have been updated to include Helmets and Race suits following update v1.23 of GT Sport. Please be sure to read the Livery Requirements section of the OP when making you helmet and suit. If you have any questions feel free to message me a picture of the suit if you are unsure if it is ok or not.
  • Due to update v1.23 of GT Sport, Tire Wear and Fuel Consumption have been lock to off when kart usage is turned on in lobby settings. So starting race Tire wear and Fuel usage will be turned off to remainder of the season till further notice.
Look forward to seeing everyone race tomorrow evening, see y'all in the paddock.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is going to be off topic, but to me it is important for you guys to be aware of it, in case some of you still don't are

As some of you may know, last update brought some changes in the tyre modelling.
Had some time yesterday and today to make some tests, here are my thoughts on what I felt and it will help as I hope to understand what happens or/and some may add their own experiences, maybe things I didn't notice.
Some things are better now, others got weird.

Good things first, karts lap faster now, even pretty much faster...at least for me
I also noticed better longitudinal grip. Wheels doesn't spin any more that much on starts in first gear. I noticed the same when braking.

On the weird side and while it seems longitudinal grip has increased, the lateral grip seems slightly weaker, or at least unchanged. This, at least to me, seems to be more the case on the rear axle. On the front, in some cases it feels better than before, in some other cases worst.

Another point concerns the way tires lose grip and regain grip again. Before update, I managed very well to hold that little amount of slide through turns to get faster through them. Also recovering from bigger slides wasn't really an issue. that's pretty different now.

I can explain this the best in a virtual lap at Tsukuba since I've practiced a lot with karts there since GT5.

First turn I feel better front grip on entry, but this may also be because of the better brake performance now!? However, it looks like I can hold the line better through apex, even when entering fast and early. On exit under acceleration I have much more grip being able to go on full throttle sooner. But going to early flat out still results in excessive oversteer, which is more difficult to control now.

Second turn was a real struggle for me at the beginning. More oversteer at the entry, closing to the apex getting more front grip until exit. Here usually I go flat out as soon I release the brakes and getting that slight, to me easy to control an hold oversteer, who allowed me to go around that turn full throttle. Now as soon as I get on full throttle I also get that light oversteer, but way more difficult to control now. Had lots of spins there last 2 days

Turn three (Dunlop Turn), the fast right hander, easy flat out turn for me until last update. After lots of practice I'm still able to go flat out, but it is more difficult, have to hit the right turn in point and drive very smooth through it. It's very easy now to either go wide (understeer) or get a massive oversteer...sometimes even both at the same time

Last hairpin was a bit "different" at the beginning, but after a few laps it isn't an issue for me anymore.

Last turn is now very similar to the Dunlop turn. It's way more important now to hit the perfect turn in point. Otherwise its very easy to go wide or spin. Even hitting the right turn in point, I have to be very smooth on the steering if I wanna go flat out and avoid little slides who would kill the speed. Also unlike in the past, I'm struggling to get control of a slide there. Mostly ending in a spin or a considerable loss of speed.

Would be interesting if someone has experienced similar behaviour

Please consider that I've not raced ad all until yesterday since several weeks. My feelings could result from being rusty
Yeah they’re definitely faster now! It feels to me a little bit like how a real life kart would if you just let a little tyre pressure out on a really hot day – that’s the best way I can describe it.
I think there’s a bit more flex in the tyre now, and that’s just allowing the chassis to work a bit more. For me it feels a lot smoother, less snappy and a bit more predictable.
It’s way faster on the smooth tracks, but a little trickier (but still faster) on the bumpier ones like Tsukuba.

After a week off and a fresh update from PD, who is ready to race? Round 3, Season 2 of the IRS Bridgestone Karting Series, here is the tentative schedule for Lago Maggiore Center. (Times are in US Eastern Standard time)

Link to time converter for our European and Asia-Pacific Region racers - https://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_US-FL.aspx

8:15pm - 8:45pm – Room Opens, Free Practice (Track Time set to 6:10 Clear)
9:00pm - 9:10pm - Qualifying - 10 minutes (Track time set to 9:30 Cloudy)
9:15pm – Heat Race 1 - 10 Laps - (Grid Set by Qualifying Results, Track Time set to 11:30 Fine Weather)
9:30pm – Heat Race 2 - 10 Laps - (Grid Set by Reverse Qualifying Results, Track Time set to 18:15 Clear)
9:45pm – Feature Race - 20 Laps - (Grid Set by least accumulated Heat Race Points, Track Time set to 20:00 Clear)

No Track Record is held for this layout

Lobby will be opened between 8:15pm and 8:45pm and will be hosted by @damonc84 (PSN: damon84c) , be sure to add him to you PSN friends list because the room will be set to friends only, if room is opened earlier or later I will notify everyone via a post in this thread. I will also have the a Party chat open via psn (mainly for room access if needed) I will also have a Discord channel open as well for all race communications. Upon entry into the room please enter track as soon as possible so a visibility check can be done to ensure that there is no connectivity issues between racers. Once connectivity checks are completed we will start the event. For the new racers that will be competing with us for the first time be sure to read the Livery requirements in the OP, I will be checking prior to qualifying to make sure everyone's livery is compliant. If it is not compliant you will be asked to correct it before qualifying starts. For qualifying I will have the Track Limit penalty set to weak. For the the race I will have this turned off. Driving options will stay at no limit for the time being.

Series Updates
• Rounds 4 and 5 have been moved to new venues, Round 4 will be held on Alsace - Village in France and Round 5 will be held at Tsukuba Circuit in Japan
• Livery Rules have have been updated to include Helmets and Race suits following update v1.23 of GT Sport. Please be sure to read the Livery Requirements section of the OP when making you helmet and suit. If you have any questions feel free to message me a picture of the suit if you are unsure if it is ok or not.
• Due to update v1.23 of GT Sport, Tire Wear and Fuel Consumption have been lock to off when kart usage is turned on in lobby settings. So starting race Tire wear and Fuel usage will be turned off to remainder of the season till further notice.
Look forward to seeing everyone race tomorrow evening, see y'all in the paddock.
Looking forward to this one, hopefully a few more grid spots filled :)
Shame to see St.Croix didn’t make the cut! That new track is really, really good!

Looking forward to this one, hopefully a few more grid spots filled :)
Shame to see St.Croix didn’t make the cut! That new track is really, really good!

It crossed my mind, but didn't know how'd y'all react to racing karts on a 4 mile long track, so I went the safe route. Maybe next season

Results from Round 3 have been posted, points standings have been updated as well.

note: drivers standings have drop races included in them for true points gaps.

Bad news or good news? Whatever, if possible, I would like to race the remaining 3 races of the season. I will put me in a complicated situation since I'm still pretty busy, but Alsace (Al's ass :D), Tsukuba and Nürburgring GP, all tracks I like very much, are calling me. Can't resist, its stronger than me :D

@damonc84

Let me know if it's ok for you.
I don't mind to race as a guest without getting championship points. ;)

I'm more than happy for you to finish the season with us. Perfectly fine with you scoring champ points too, if Damon so decides :)

Ok let's make the MIT jealous and make some goat tech equations :lol:

Even if I get the maximum amount of points for the remaining 3 races, sounds impossible but just for the science. If I'm not mistaken, equals 28 points each round. 28x3 = 84 points.

You already have 57 points. Let's assume you will finish 2nd and not getting any bonus points (I hope you will try to avoid that): 17x3 = 51+57 = 108 points

In the case of MrRacingLine it's gonna get closer. Still assuming I'll get all points and MrRacingLine gets all 2nd places: 37+51 = 88 points. This means that RacingLine needs to end all remaining races on 2nd place. 2x2nd + 1x3rd it's not gonna make it. Of course, still assuming that I will get a full house, the remaining 84 points.

Giving me points for racing still can have an influence on the championship which can be considered by some as being unfair. On the other hand it will give you and MrRacingLine a challenge more. It's going to be a difficult decision for damon ;)

Back