Is GT5 a finished product after spec II?

• Thread starter shurnster
  • 254 comments

Is GT5 look more like a finished product with spec II?

• Yes

Votes: 140 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 254 64.5%

• Total voters
I hope not im still waiting on the features like point to point course maker and damage. Its in the manual so i cant understand why its still not included.

The first thing i thought was that this is what GT5 should it be at release, and this update, for me, is a prove that GT5 was rushed.

Edit: even now for me, is unfinished.

When GT5 has as much to do in it as GT4 did, I'll consider it finished. The thing is, finished or not doesn't really matter because they're still working on it, if they'd released it in the state it was at launch and never updated it then yeah, it would be a problem. Although the lack of events is inexcusable next to GT4's massive list of stuff to do, at least PD recognised that and add a new race event and a pair of time and drift trials at least twice a month, often 4 times a month, very occasionally more than that, sometimes less, and they have genuinely worked to fix the problems people were having.

Ok, so not all their efforts hit the mark, but Spec II has rekindled my faith in PD and GT5, they DO listen after all. They're just a bit slow, maybe stubborn and (until recently) uncommunicative.

Still, for me it needs more A-Spec to keep me busy, an online drag race mode (I wouldn't use it, but it would keep idiots out of free track/drift lobbies), the ability to give everyone the same STANDARD car (if that hasn't already been added, I haven't checked) and a whole load more premiums from 2009-2012 (model year) before I'll consider it finished, but I'm more than happy to wait.

Today it is impossible to finish a product.. or better, you can always improve it.
Games of today have become very big.. and we, we have become capricious ..

GT5, since its release has taken a big step forward ..

Some DLC contains new tracks and cars, surely greatly lengthen the life of GT5. (which is already now an endless game ..)

minimum for me to regard GT5 as finished:

qualifying back
standing starts back
more a spec events
"real" tyre physics for Aspec (option)
damage in Aspec (option)
Proper reverse gear using sequential shift and a wheel
proper brake balance adjustment

nice to have:
Classic tracks back
more premium cars specifically DTMs, ozV8s and FIAGT cars

It was a finished product the day it was released…

no game is ever a finished product....

Both these quotes are ture :eek:

It is same for every game. COD is released every year is it is a finished product for a game to come every year ? Forza4 for example has 90 newly done cars with only 5 tracks, 3 tracks removed from the previous game and 30$ DLC for next 1yr is it a finished product ?

GT5 as a sequel to GT4 on PS2 has sone lot of great things but many things are also missing. I am sure if they make another game on PS3 it will be more polished.

I am liking the improvements to the UI and the open top standards. But it is not done. We should have got some old tracks ported over. And I just don't understand how even Kaz said he relized there were to many variations of Japanese cars and then he added four Skylines. I know it's been said, but why didn't he include some European RM's or USA Rm's?

I'm happy to pay for DLC but it should vary more.

Hopefully he had read some of my tweets before we got the update so he could see what I would like him to work on next if he can.

Even though with DLC and add-ons being the trend of today's videogames, we can still see if a videogame is "complete" or not. DLC are just add-ons to the game, but certain aspects of GT5 still needs to be polished. A good example would be Course maker - such feature with great potential is kind of neglected.

Today it is impossible to finish a product.. or better, you can always improve it.
Games of today have become very big.. and we, we have become capricious ..

Some DLC contains new tracks and cars, surely greatly lengthen the life of GT5. (which is already now an endless game ..)

ahhhh thank you. 👍

Everything else, too.

It has been a finished product since the release in 2010! I really dont think that there are games with a similar amount of haters like it is for GT5! I dont know what you guys expect, it doesnt matter what polyphony do for gt5, you always search for things that could/should have been done/done better. They cant put in everything the supernice community wants.
If i would be kazunori yamauchi i wouldnt do anything new for gt5 cause of this massive ,,unthankfullness" from all those people!

Jep, the internet is bad!

It has been a finished product since the release in 2010! I really dont think that there are games with a similar amount of haters like it is for GT5! I dont know what you guys expect, it doesnt matter what polyphony do for gt5, you always search for things that could/should have been done/done better. They cant put in everything the supernice community wants.
If i would be kazunori yamauchi i wouldnt do anything new for gt5 cause of this massive ,,unthankfullness" from all those people!

Jep, the internet is bad!

Very true

I have never known a game receive such a high level of support post release. Some MMO games which charge a monthly subscription have less of a service standard than GT5.

It was released as a platform back in November, every few months Polyphony have given fans something new to appreciate. Spec II is the icing on the cake for me and leaves me wondering just what Polyphony can do for GT6?

GT5 will never be finished because it should never be finished. I will take a continually evolving piece of software over a standard release any day.

Maybe its my age showing, but I really appreciate just how much bang for buck is provided with GT5. There will always be differences of opinion but the internet is the worst of the worst when it comes to people arguing their points. But that's a whole other story.

No. Not even close.
I agree its not even close but it is better with the generic interior views added to standards. The standards still cant have their wheels changed and cant be taken to photo mode along with a lot of other things. Its FAR from complete. I wouldnt count it as complete until every car in the game was premium.

One thing I will say, the update has helped me get back into GT5 again. I hadnt played it since February and had a great time with it Monday night and Tuesday. 👍:)

Thinking about the development with GT5 it sort of remind me of other ps3 exclusives such as Socom 4 which suffers the same thing as far as their previous games had a bigger package than the current ones on the ps3. I'm guessing the PS3's hardware must be very complicated if these companies have to dump their previous coding.

I do find it kind of weird about the lack of leaderboards which imo is very important. I think Kaz said they had problems with the servers. I wonder does that have anything to do with it?

It has been a finished product since the release in 2010!

Some of the things in the manual weren't in the game when if first came out, and you mean to tell me it was finished? Heck, not everything in the manual is in the game yet down to this day. :lol:

Last edited:
I'll consider it complete when up to date cars are added and standards become premiums
Exactly what I said above. When all cars are premiums then at that point it will be complete in my eyes but there is no way that will ever happen. But GT5 is better after the 2.0 update, thats for sure. 👍
In all honesty I would think this is probably the last major update we will see with GT5. Thats almost 1 year worth of work for that 2.0. So dont expect much else.

Exactly what I said above. When all cars are premiums then at that point it will be complete in my eyes but there is no way that will ever happen. But GT5 is better after the 2.0 update, thats for sure. 👍
In all honesty I would think this is probably the last major update we will see with GT5. Thats almost 1 year worth of work for that 2.0. So dont expect much else.

I disagree. I will admit that the game is unfinished in different areas. But all standards to premiums? I would like to see standards into premiums but standard cars were meant to be in the game before released. Personally, I don't like the standard issue at all, I just look at it as a bonus feature. That's just me. But I think the product is unfinished in other important areas such as the manual explains other features yet the game doesn't have some of these features.

I congratulate them for still working on the game for their fans. I'm highly appreciated :)

Global leader boards for track lap times. That's all I think is missing from this game.

Even if it was only available for premium cars? This feature kept prologue alive for me right up until the day GT5 was released.

No, considering they're going to be adding more future DLC and a most likely Spec III. Don't forget about the regular patches that they do as well.

I think people who are looking for all standards to be premium are simply unrealistic. That will never happen in GT5.

Too much time and effort and at this point in time not very important.

As far as the main gameplay is concerned the game is finished

pray tell us about this Big step forward then?

online?, premiums? physics...a step, but was it a big one?

Now about steps BACKWARDS Aspec events, Bspec can't speed it up, Less tracks, "low" tyre physics forces on in Aspec, no qualifying (ok GT4 started that rot, but GT5 should have fixed it), Rolling starts (again GT4 started that, but GT5 HAD it then PD in their infinite stupidity..erm wisdom, went back to rolling starts).

Personally I always like rolling starts better than grid starts. Hopefully PD will allow us to choose that option in arcade mode and a-spec in a patch.

Back