Is Lotus Set To Return to Gran Turismo Sport?

Can anyone tell me if this is real or not?
Not.

Even if it weren't pretty easy to spot on the left-hand image of the second Tweet - the Evora is pretty roughly pasted in - the dead giveaway is that the cars aren't in the game.

Edit: Also I didn't read the text until now, but he says he created the contract himself.

Last edited:
I think it isn't realistic to get a Lotus car pack more than 3 Lotusses in the same update. I would like to believe it, but not the way PD rolled out their car updates the last year or so. I better believe we could get 1 or 2 Lotus cars and more will come later.

Hopefully they will add Hethel test track as a new track someday. I've driven there last year with the Bronze license course.

The long straight, soft chicane and the twisty turns in the last sector before the straight is very addictive to get a good racing line from and from the smallest racing tracks (like Tsukuba, Suzuka East or Brands Hatch indy) I've ever driven in racing games, Hethel would be one of the toughest !

Please :bowdown:

171-Lotus-Evora-GT4.JPG

Please

Elise S1 '97 (perhaps I'm just a little biased here...)

elise.jpg

Exige S1 '00
largefront.jpg

Elise GT1 '97
1357673883353122.jpg

Lotus Sport Exige '05 (Not very well known, more details here.)

2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-F-1024x768.jpg
2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-FA-1024x768.jpg
2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-RA-1024x768.jpg

I'm guessing Geely are asking too much, maybe someone at Lotus is feeling ripped off for the various Lotus unlicensed models without Lotus branding in GT over the years?

If Geely don't want to play ball, they should go see John Hennessy, I met him once, he's a really nice guy, he approved of my GT Tee:

dsc00687-e1487403023566.jpg

Attachments

• gt1tq.jpg
    gt1tq.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 19
I'm guessing Geely are asking too much, maybe someone at Lotus is feeling ripped off for the various Lotus unlicensed models without Lotus branding in GT over the years?
Read the article in the first post. It's neither of those things - and what unlicensed Lotus models?

Please

Elise S1 '97 (perhaps I'm just a little biased here...)

View attachment 819921

Exige S1 '00
View attachment 819923

Elise GT1 '97
1357673883353122.jpg

Lotus Sport Exige '05 (Not very well known, more details here.)

2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-F-1024x768.jpg
2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-FA-1024x768.jpg
2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-RA-1024x768.jpg

If Geely don't want to play ball, they should go see John Hennessy, I met him once, he's a really nice guy, he approved of my GT Tee:

dsc00687-e1487403023566.jpg
So you wished for it, so it shall be... :lol:

Kidding aside, these cars are a great addition if Lotus comes back in GT7.

I wish I could get excited about Lotus. The only things we’re likely to get, at least initially, are rather dull Elise road cars.

Wouldn’t mind the Elise and Esprit GT1’s. Plus a bunch of classic prototype and F1 cars.

These are words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence
I talked to him for about half an hour, I was the only person who asked him permission to take photo's of the Venom and I think he appreciated that. They'd just finished working on it for Steve Tyler, we walked around the car and he explained everything they did to the car, specifically how they had to reinforce the frame around the cockpit further because Steve wanted a soft top and that extra reinforcement had pushed the weight up to 1100KG so they had to push the BHP up to match. He gave me advice and tips on my engine swap of the Honda K20A into the Elise S1 above. He clearly knew I wasn't in the market for any of his cars, but spent the time to talk to me anyway. I think we may have even joked about the Venom being in GT as my wife took the photo above. My experience was that he was a really nice approachable guy.

@Famine Can you please explain, I'm still thinking it's due to Geely asking for too much after reading that article several times and this phrase in particular:

However, information related to GTPlanet from a source at Lotus suggests a simpler reason: money. Our source told us that the issue hinges on the nature of the licensing agreement between Lotus and Gran Turismo. This, they say, involved diminishing returns, so the rate of payment fell over time.

It’s likely then that the 11-month launch delay, from November 2016 to October 2017, had the unintended consequence of reducing the value below what Lotus was expecting. It appears this lead to the current situation, with Lotus cars not currently licensed for use.

Last edited:
@Famine Can you please explain, I'm still thinking it's due to Geely asking for too much after reading that article several times and this phrase in particular:
Geely isn't even mentioned in that section... It's mentioned in an earlier section as a reason people have speculated, but then discounted by the "However" at the start of that section.

That section explains that Lotus agreed a licensing deal with "Gran Turismo" (could be Sony, could be PD, could be both) which reduced the money coming to them over time. GT Sport was then delayed. Lotus was then getting less money than it thought, because the money reduced over time and time had elapsed, and less than comparable manufacturers who'd agreed later or different contracts.

That's not Geely, and that's not asking for too much. That's Lotus, and getting less than it thought it was getting.

With regards to unlicensed Lotus models, I thought that the F687/S from GT3 was one and I vaguely remember others?
Which others?

A version of hat car also later appeared as the Lotus 97T in GT6 (the 687/S was really more of a 99T), following several other games with Lotus models, from the earlier Elan through three generations of the Esprit and the second generation Elise, so if Lotus was pissed about that, it took it 12 years to realise and another four to eject the toys from the pram.

My thoughts were that Geely as you say "were getting less than they thought", so went back and asked for more perhaps... and at that point they were removed rather than them being paid more. "However" you are saying that the source indicated the decision was made by Lotus prior to the Geely take over and that there wasn't a request for further money, Lotus just let the contract lapse?

The other car is the recent F1500T-A as per the picture above, which I also thought was the 97T but it's back in GT Sport without a Lotus Livery or name and therefore unlicensed which is quite recent.

Technically I think these are owned by Lotus Motorsport and not Lotus Cars, so may not even be owned by Geely... /shrug, the whole thing upsets me so I haven't really read up on it.

Either way it makes me very sad that my car and other Lotus aren't in GT any more which is probably why I'm harping on, sorry for the back and forth, thanks very much for the continued explanations, it's kind of personal for me so I'm reading what I want to read as opposed to what is being said.

Last edited:
I talked to him for about half an hour, I was the only person who asked him permission to take photo's of the Venom and I think he appreciated that. They'd just finished working on it for Steve Tyler, we walked around the car and he explained everything they did to the car, specifically how they had to reinforce the frame around the cockpit further because Steve wanted a soft top and that extra reinforcement had pushed the weight up to 1100KG so they had to push the BHP up to match. He gave me advice and tips on my engine swap of the Honda K20A into the Elise S1 above. He clearly knew I wasn't in the market for any of his cars, but spent the time to talk to me anyway. I think we may have even joked about the Venom being in GT as my wife took the photo above. My experience was that he was a really nice approachable guy.

Did you ask him if we might see the venom in GT Sport or GT in general?

It was back in 2012 so we were just joking about GT in general because I had a GT Tee Shirt on and we talked about videogames, GT2 was the reason I bought an Elise, I vaguely remember him saying something along the lines of "they used CAD to model the Venom and it started out looking like something in Gran Turismo / a videogame".

Last edited:
My thoughts were that Geely
Lotus. Geely - aside from buying Lotus in the interim - is not directly involved.
as you say "were getting less than they thought", so went back and asked for more perhaps...
Which is even more speculative and wouldn't make sense - why would it ask for more than it was originally due?

Ultimately we don't actually know why, but according to the Lotus source, the dispute simply seems to be that Lotus thinks it's owed the original amount (because the cars didn't appear in the game until the game actually came out), while "Gran Turismo" thinks it's owing the smaller amount (because the payment reduced over time, regardless of whether the game was out or not).

If that's all true, you can kind of see Lotus's point as GT wasn't exactly shy in using Lotus to promote the game - but we don't know the details of the contract. Perhaps it was contingent on the cars appearing in the full release, perhaps it wasn't. There's certainly nothing to suggest that either party is acting greedily (as one Youtuber put it) or maliciously, or that either is operating in any other manner than what it (or its lawyers) believes the contract states.

As the licensing status is in dispute, the cars aren't there. When it's resolved, let's hope that they will be.

Last edited:
Here's to that hope! :cheers: Thanks again Famine! Sigh, why does it all have to get so complicated, I just want to drive my car with an engine swap in Gran Turismo... at this rate I'll probably end up getting an XBox One X and Forza and buying another bloody wheel (PS3 GT25 didn't work on the PS4 for no good reason) this whole generation has been a disappointment for me, like you said, Polyphony weren't shy to use Lotus to promote the game, they also weren't shy to use VR clips that were nothing like what appeared in the game.

Last edited:
My thoughts were that Geely as you say "were getting less than they thought", so went back and asked for more perhaps... and at that point they were removed rather than them being paid more. "However" you are saying that the source indicated the decision was made by Lotus prior to the Geely take over and that there wasn't a request for further money, Lotus just let the contract lapse?

The other car is the recent F1500T-A as per the picture above, which I also thought was the 97T but it's back in GT Sport without a Lotus Livery or name and therefore unlicensed which is quite recent.

Technically I think these are owned by Lotus Motorsport and not Lotus Cars, so may not even be owned by Geely... /shrug, the whole thing upsets me so I haven't really read up on it.

Either way it makes me very sad that my car and other Lotus aren't in GT any more which is probably why I'm harping on, sorry for the back and forth, thanks very much for the continued explanations, it's kind of personal for me so I'm reading what I want to read as opposed to what is being said.

Assumption is the mother of all fop ups ! :D

I think we shouldn't blame anyone in this license thing. Just wait and see ! I've patience.

Geely is investing in Lotus ( a lot !!) and the brand from Hethel wasn't ever that succesfull as the day today. As a fan of Lotus and a petrolhead, it feels hard to admit Lotus should do the switch to electric powered cars, which we could see the first proof of electrification in the new Type 130 which will be reveiled at the London motorshow. If I was a manufacturer, or an investor like Geely, I really would like to reach the fans and potential buyers with a license for PD and other games as well. For me personally I became a Lotus fan because of the Lotus Esprit in Need for Speed 2,3 and 4. I modded the cars to JamesBond look alikes, even with the ski's on top of the car. My boyfriend almost the same. He testdrived a lotus once in the 90's, we own an Elise S1 for 5 years now, thanks to a license between a car brand and a game francise.

So, back to GTsport, although it could only be a Lotus Elise S1 road car, I'm definitely hooked for it for days and I'm sure it will bring fantastic close racing with those cars.

we own an Elise S1 for 5 years now, thanks to a license between a car brand and a game francise.

I hope yours brings you as much joy as mine has brought me, do you have any photo's, you might enjoy GT6 on the PS3 or Forza 7 on XBox One, you can most likely get rims and paint to look like yours? (Hope that isn't too far off topic to ask here).

(PS3 GT25 didn't work on the PS4 for no good reason)
There is a reason - although whether its a good one or not is highly contingent on your opinion of it - but just get a DriveHub. That'll allow your PS3 wheel to work on PS4 (among other things).

I hope yours brings you as much joy as mine has brought me, do you have any photo's, you might enjoy GT6 on the PS3 or Forza 7 on XBox One, you can most likely get rims and paint to look like yours? (Hope that isn't too far off topic to ask here).

42988848571_e53da27859_h.jpg

This is our Elise, tuned last year with another throttle body and a better air filter, from 118hp to approx 130 I believe. Colour is the fantastic yellow-ish Chrome Orange :bowdown:(The Nissan van behind my boyfriend is our soon-to-be-a-camper)

There is a reason - although whether its a good one or not is highly contingent on your opinion of it - but just get a DriveHub. That'll allow your PS3 wheel to work on PS4 (among other things).

Too late, I got a G29 which has mostly been gathering dust since Lotus got removed and my bitter resentment of GT.

From a coding point of view reading the old wheel's with the G29 code is merely a matter of some cut and paste and looking for a different USB HID code similar to what's done here https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-lg4ff.c therefore my opinion as a consumer who has recently bought a product is that there is no good reason to buy another one for perhaps 5 minutes of some underpaid coders time.

Too late, I got a G29 which has mostly been gathering dust since Lotus got removed and my bitter resentment of GT.

From a coding point of view reading the old wheel's with the G29 code is merely a matter of some cut and paste and looking for a different USB HID code similar to what's done here https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-lg4ff.c therefore my opinion as a consumer who has recently bought a product is that there is no good reason to buy another one for perhaps 5 minutes of some underpaid coders time.

I think you could have fun with GTsport without Lotus.. For me the Mini Cooper, VW Beetle '66 and the new Gordini are the most fun to race. Setting long race distances offline, a strong AI, no driving aids because they don't have and then getting back to the front from the last position. Those are the best offline races for me. With the DS4 in motion control have to say.

This is our Elise, tuned last year with another throttle body and a better air filter, from 118hp to approx 130 I believe. Colour is the fantastic yellow-ish Chrome Orange :bowdown:(The Nissan van behind my boyfriend is our soon-to-be-a-camper)

That is beautiful! I love it! I got these which might help with your new tune as well:

2-b0db9.jpg

These beautifully crafted carbon fibre or black gel coat side scoops direct 30% more air into the side air ducts keeping the engine bay temperatures to a reasonable level. As cold air is denser than the warm underhood temperature it helps to increase BHP too.

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/1/97/s1-sport-side-scoop/

I wish I could get excited about Lotus. The only things we’re likely to get, at least initially, are rather dull Elise road cars.

Some footage of a rather dull Elise road car in action:

Last edited:
Back