It's now March; where is our promised community update?

• Thread starter soap_hand
  • 2,036 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there still rage going on around here? Oh brother, thank lord I have a comic to work with, then sit in here all day waiting for something that doesn't even have a specific date.

Basically next week should be when the update will be available, and DLC. Last week of the month FTW!!!

Whatever you'd prefer to believe, there are significant cultural differences in the way Japanese and American companies choose to communicate internally, externally with their customers, and the world at large.

To insult them (PD) by choosing the term "ridiculous corporate pride" is to demonstrate cultural ignorance and a lack of cultural empathy and experience.

As I have said a number of times, it is certain that PD reads these forums.

This insensitivity coming from a Moderator of a respected forum which is dedicated to discussions of a Japanese company's product is totally inappropriate, and sends entirely the wrong message.

If you feel it necessary to post like this, may I suggest you create a non-Moderator pseudonym to do so. And change the handle of your Moderator persona. Think how it must look to PD when they see how a Moderator who delivers cultural insults describes him/herself.

vag·a·bond
ˈvagəˌbänd/
noun
a person who wanders from place to place without a home or job.
Are you attempting to antagonise me because you don't agree with my statement or because I'm a moderator and you want to see how I'll respond - as an individual or as GTPlanet staff? I am entitled to my own opinion and that opinion in no way contravenes GTP rules, expected standards of conduct as staff, or damages the good name of this site.

My statement wasn't offensive to anyone. Corporate pride isn't a new or shocking concept is it? The fact I referred to it as ridiculous is a personal response to my feelings of disappointed, mute anger at having paid good money for a product that has proved so far to have fallen massively short of the pre-release hype I so naively believed. My patience has been rewarded thus far with silence and so I have, with some care and restraint, voiced my disappointment on several occasions. So for that, you will have to forgive me - I'm as subject to the human condition as anyone.

Insensitivity is not an apt interpretation. As for the message, as well as being staff here I am also someone who has personally spent a good deal of money on Sony products and PD games over many years. Each console generation I have bought primarily to play each successive GT game on, I've bought every GT game at point of release including Prologues, I bought 3 incarnations of PS2 as my old ones wore out, I had 2 PS3s for GT5, bought every DLC for GT5, bought the thus far annoyingly over-priced Anniversary Edition of GT6... but you are suggesting I shouldn't have an opinion because I'm a moderator at GTPlanet or that I should have a ghost account to hide those opinions?

I've been Vagabond at GTP for 6 years, ironically quite at home here. I've been a moderator for less than a week. If I exceed my authority or bring the site into disrepute, pretty sure @Jordan and/or @Famine will deal with that.

As for the last attempt to embarrass me with your definition of Vagabond, it just came across as a little spiteful and unnecessary. Obviously many of us choose screen-names based on something we either like, are amused by or identify with in some way but it is not a window into my character or a stick to brow beat me with.

GTPlanet has become frustrated because it consists of the most avid fans of one of the most incredible series'* of games ever made and things aren't looking as grand as they used to.

It's no longer enough to take the Suzuki Escudo a blast around the track, the game is changing, and while GT seems to be breaking barriers nobody really put up in the first place(GT Academy, documentary about the producer of game), it still ignores some core essentials people deem important.

I am happy with GT6, but it sucks to say that it's already worn stale. Because GT4 lasted 3 years for me.

You sure about that? It's not exactly the impression I've been getting these last few years.
I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that gaming has one of the most ungrateful and vicious fan-bases in media. It's not uncommon to see this type of stuff from other boards I visit too.

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that gaming has one of the most ungrateful and vicious fan-bases in media. It's not uncommon to see this type of stuff from other boards I visit too.
Actually the general level of restraint and good conduct here is amongst the best of any online community. It is naive to expect no-one to complain though - the love affair with GT has been stretched enough times that there are signs of fraying.

Everyone's angry that the February update hasn't come out while it's still February...

rabble rabble rabble

February update should have come out in December

rabble rabble rabble

I do get everyone's frustration, it would be nice to have 100% of the game on release, but I'm a patient man and don't mind waiting (unless on the road you're taking your sweet time pulling out of a junction, then prepare for F-bombs and a blaring horn).

This game is surprisingly well supported by the developers, we can expect them to still be working on stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the general level of restraint and good conduct here is amongst the best of any online community. It is naive to expect no-one to complain though - the love affair with GT has been stretched enough times that there are signs of fraying.
I agree with you, it wasn't an attack on GTP in that aspect as so much to the level of entitlement a lot of people seem to have these days.

@Jordan , @Vagabond @Famine don't you guys think its time to get another kaz/taku/ken interview, to calm people down?
This place is the biggest reference for people looking for gt news afterall. Its a win win win situation, gtp would have even more visibility, pd would talk and we would have something else to talk about...
Just a simple, what they are up to, if february update has been pushed, when the whole "one track a month" thing will kick off, and even get the order of priority(in pd view) of the missing features to come? If people knew course maker/or whatever was the first or last of the updates the hype train wouldn't leave with such frequency.
Also can you guys talk to pd if they are interested in a dev blog or ocasional report/interview/q&a here in gtp?
If they refuse, tell them there is a riot going on here... Lol

What an amusing thread.

I love how everybody says 'promised.' PD never promised anything.

They gave us a list of features to be added to the game with an approximate date for some of those features.

Nowhere have they ever promised anything. If anybody can give me a link to anywhere on the PD page where it says "certain feature is PROMISED on certain date" then I'll buy them a month of Premium.

Oh, I'll admit it's taking too long. I agree that we should've had it from day one. I relate with you on feelings of disappointment.

But to say PD 'promised' all this by certain dates really irritates me

Last edited:
@Jordan , @Vagabond @Famine don't you guys think its time to get another kaz/taku/ken interview, to calm people down?
This place is the biggest reference for people looking for gt news afterall. Its a win win win situation, gtp would have even more visibility, pd would talk and we would have something else to talk about...
Just a simple, what they are up to, if february update has been pushed, when the whole "one track a month" thing will kick off, and even get the order of priority(in pd view) of the missing features to come? If people knew course maker/or whatever was the first or last of the updates the hype train wouldn't leave with such frequency.
Also can you guys talk to pd if they are interested in a dev blog or ocasional report/interview/q&a here in gtp?
If they refuse, tell them there is a riot going on here... Lol
Wish it were that simple. Jordan takes every opportunity there is in terms of interviews, news, tid-bits of info and even some official/unofficial 'rumours' and in fact, he gets some stuff and some interview opportunities that other journalists and gaming sites don't because of who he is and what he has built GTPlanet into. But he can't just demand things from PD - his relationship with them collectively and Kaz personally must have some conditions attached and while he gets to ask some questions that we all want asked, he can't just call them up and get updates on a whim, nice as that would be.

What an amusing thread.

They gave us a list of features to be added to the game with an approximate date for some of those features.

Nowhere have they ever promised anything. If anybody can give me a link to anywhere on the PD page where it says "certain feature is PROMISED on certain date" then I'll buy them a month of Premium.

Oh, I'll admit it's taking too long. I agree that we should've had it from day one. I relate with you on feelings of disappointment.

I was about to ask the same question having restrained myself from asking the following which has remained unsent in my post reply box for part of the day while I watched in amazement at the gossip people seem to be angry about:

Can anyone point me to the primary source (aka quote or press release from a PD employee) for the 'promise of the community features update in February'? I recall interviews with Kaz saying that there will "probably" be one update in each of the months from January to May. I remember him saying "probably" two "big" updates in January: which was true with "big" being his own personal opinion. I've seen no indicative statement with the mention of update and community features in the same sentence from Kaz or PD.

Personally, I can't bring myself to hate, or even strongly dislike Gran Turismo 6. I don't know if I've been hypnotized to think this way or something. There's just something about it that makes me like it so much. Yes, it has plenty of oversights and shortcomings, but I physically, mentally, and emotionally can't bring myself to hate this game. I really can't.

When I fail a race or something else, I usually shout and get angry at the game, but then realize that it was my fault for entering a race with a poor car and I have a bad driving style.

I am a bit disappointed that content has been rather slow, but I am waiting patiently for the next update.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Whatever you'd prefer to believe, there are significant cultural differences in the way Japanese and American companies choose to communicate internally, externally with their customers, and the world at large.

To insult them (PD) by choosing the term "ridiculous corporate pride" is to demonstrate cultural ignorance and a lack of cultural empathy and experience.

As I have said a number of times, it is certain that PD reads these forums.

This insensitivity coming from a Moderator of a respected forum which is dedicated to discussions of a Japanese company's product is totally inappropriate, and sends entirely the wrong message.

If you feel it necessary to post like this, may I suggest you create a non-Moderator pseudonym to do so. And change the handle of your Moderator persona. Think how it must look to PD when they see how a Moderator who delivers cultural insults describes him/herself.

vag·a·bond
ˈvagəˌbänd/
noun
a person who wanders from place to place without a home or job.

While it's true that PD is a Japanese company, they are marketing their product to a global community (and their parent company, Sony, is a global corporation who operates beyond the confines of boarders and cultural differences). Welcome to the 21st century my friend. As Vagabond mentioned, corporate pride is a real thing, and effects companies from a wide variety of backgrounds.

As someone who has been part of the "GT World" for 15 years now, shelled out thousands of my own dollars across multiple platforms, and invested literally thousands of hours of my free time, I feel downright disrespected by the lack of communication I get from PD.

It is because of us, the users, that Kaz has been able to realize his boyhood dreams of becoming a professional racecar driver.

Kaz and PD have given us a pastime....we have given them a raison d'être.

I hardly think it is too much to ask for a little back and forth communication.

Maybe this will make everyone happy.

The update will come out when it's ready to come out. (For all we know it could come out right now) :/

I want to love GT6, but I have to agree with others that there are several important fixes to the current game that needs to be made, especially since the game was sold at full price. It's really as simple as that.

Sigh.... This game will improve, yes, PD doesn't communicate. Yes, there is a lot not here yet. At least they ARE working.

Now as for how many are working, I have gotten the impression that PD has not hired enough people over the years....

Especially a Customer Relations expert.....

Oh, well. I don't get a lot of time to play, so I'm not even done with the offline side yet. If you want something to do, restart.

What an amusing thread.

I'm not normally the type to get involved (as seen by my post count) but I think I have a strong case and I'd like to point out the following.....

Link

Gran Turismo Arena
This is a multipurpose arena used to accommodate tens of thousands of spectators, with a special circuit set up on its field. The total length of the course is short at 668 metres, but the variety of corners in its layout is equal to a large scale circuit. This is a great stage for Karts and small displacement cars. You can also remove the cornerstones and corner barriers to set up a variety of attractions using cones.

The above was promised/confirmed, how ever you want to look at it on or before 12/6/2013 (date of release) If someone can point me in the direction of how to do the above that would be super. I just wish the GTPlanet community would grow up and understand this is how business works.... exaggerate to sell a product. I'm sure most of us would not have purchased Gran Turismo 6 if their (Sony/PD) selling point was "Hey look, we have the moon, some new tracks and cars and removed features from Gran Turismo 5 that we'll try to bring back." All I see is those with high, unrealistic, childish expectations are getting upset and it show. It says "A,B,C" so we should have had "A,B,C" yesterday. Those who follow PD and Kaz know his/their M.O. and knew this was how it was going to be like with the improved engine sounds. It's coming they say. Of course this is MY OPINION. (Whew I feel better)

Now I sit back and wait to see how someone, anyone will spin this around. Oh let me take a stab at one possibility, "Coffee Breaks Open Layout vs. Layout A see, see it's different!" No I am not a Coffee Break and it reads YOU can.....

Oh and by the way please DO NOT buy me a month of premium. Thanks.

Yep. And I hate giving Turn 10 credit for anything as IMO they have been steadily going backwards for years now. But, I never once had to repeat single player events over and over again just to obtain cars. In fact, in FM3 and 4 with the storefront I never really needed to play any career. Think I did something like 3 percent of the mind numbing boring FM4 career and have all the cars I ever wanted while giving away tons of credits in the process.

In fact, can't think of another racing game ever where I've been forced to grind other than the GT series.
Yeah money was easy to get in FM4, between the Rivals, the storefront and online racing I was able to come up with plenty. Got all the cars I wanted, including all the most expensive ones, tuned them up and still have several million on hand. Probably got another million or so waiting on me if I were to log in again.

The career mode was very dull, I may have did 3% of it but for the most part I stuck to rivals, hot lapping and online races.

If GT would just up the pay out for online races that would help a lot, if they also allowed the ability to turn off collisions and add AI cars to the field then gettign credits would be a lot more fun.

I'm not normally the type to get involved (as seen by my post count) but I think I have a strong case and I'd like to point out the following.....

Link

Gran Turismo Arena
This is a multipurpose arena used to accommodate tens of thousands of spectators, with a special circuit set up on its field. The total length of the course is short at 668 metres, but the variety of corners in its layout is equal to a large scale circuit. This is a great stage for Karts and small displacement cars. You can also remove the cornerstones and corner barriers to set up a variety of attractions using cones.

The above was promised/confirmed, how ever you want to look at it on or before 12/6/2013 (date of release) If someone can point me in the direction of how to do the above that would be super. I just wish the GTPlanet community would grow up and understand this is how business works.... exaggerate to sell a product. I'm sure most of us would not have purchased Gran Turismo 6 if their (Sony/PD) selling point was "Hey look, we have the moon, some new tracks and cars and removed features from Gran Turismo 5 that we'll try to bring back." All I see is those with high, unrealistic, childish expectations are getting upset and it show. It says "A,B,C" so we should have had "A,B,C" yesterday. Those who follow PD and Kaz know his/their M.O. and knew this was how it was going to be like with the improved engine sounds. It's coming they say. Of course this is MY OPINION. (Whew I feel better)

Now I sit back and wait to see how someone, anyone will spin this around. Oh let me take a stab at one possibility, "Coffee Breaks Open Layout vs. Layout A see, see it's different!" No I am not a Coffee Break and it reads YOU can.....

Oh and by the way please DO NOT buy me a month of premium. Thanks.
That feature was still not technically 'promised'. I'd expect it to be possible with course creator.

Also, technically that can be done now with the coffee breaks, even though we can't control the design ourselves.

That feature was still not technically 'promised'. I'd expect it to be possible with course creator.

Also, technically that can be done now with the coffee breaks, even though we can't control the design ourselves.

Let me double check..... nope I don't see anywhere it says "requires course creator in a later update". Unless my point wasn't clear....

Did you read all of my post?

Edit:
From the same Link....
Willow Springs International Raceway
This famous circuit in California is now reaching its 60th anniversary, and is finally making an appearance in Gran Turismo. The Willow Springs International Raceway is a circuit that is located in a hilly region just outside of Los Angeles. Of its many layouts, the circuit we are introducing this time is the main course, the “Big Willow”. At 2.5 miles per lap, it is known for its high speed corners and undulating terrain.
I guess Streets of Willow should be removed since it's not mentioned here because technically it wasn't announced. To me it reads only ONE Willow course at launch. Streets was a bonus, but I know bonuses are ok since it's a good thing for us the driver and won't be argued

Last edited:
Let me double check..... nope I don't see anywhere it says "requires course creator in a later update". Unless my point wasn't clear....

Did you read all of my post?

Edit:
From the same Link....
Willow Springs International Raceway
This famous circuit in California is now reaching its 60th anniversary, and is finally making an appearance in Gran Turismo. The Willow Springs International Raceway is a circuit that is located in a hilly region just outside of Los Angeles. Of its many layouts, the circuit we are introducing this time is the main course, the “Big Willow”. At 2.5 miles per lap, it is known for its high speed corners and undulating terrain.
I guess Streets of Willow should be removed since it's not mentioned here because technically it wasn't announced. Just a bonus, but I know bonuses are ok since it's a good thing for us the driver.
If you're that technical with everything then you could probably find flaws in almost any statement from gaming companies on what will be in their game.

Of its many layouts, the circuit we are introducing this time is the main course, the “Big Willow”. At 2.5 miles per lap, it is known for its high speed corners and undulating terrain.

To me I can see a technical difference, changing a layout (with GT Arena for example) would require some editing tools, ie. a course creator, which we haven't got yet. Different layouts of the same track are pre-determined by PD, we just enter the track and start driving, there is nothing that we can adjust and no editing tools are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back