Japanese Car Performance?

• Thread starter HoboPipe
  • 35 comments
I'm just wondering how the Japanese cars are performing against each other in prologue.

Does someone know how the main Japanese cars do against each other time wise at tsukaba or any other track?

I'm thinking

rx-7 spirit R
evo 8(quickest one)
r34 vspec 2 nur
nsx type s
quickest wrx

So if someone has any idea how they compare or even some driving comparisons that would be great.
It would be really cool if someone could run a few laps in each car.
I know it's asking a lot, but I ran literally hundreds of laps in nurburgring(6+minutes) in pgr2 getting times, and it was a lot of fun.

thanks for any info.

All would be best just to see if it changed anything, but I guess whatever is closest to a street tire would be the most interesting for me.

What is the difference between, street and normal?

Just go with absolute stock whatever that it.

thanks a lot by the way

Street would be the closest to stock tires. I'm not sure why there is a tire called 'normal', but is has the most grip of the three.
I'll go with street then at Tsukuba and Fuji.

Best Motoring did a little "test" of the WRX STi, the Evo 8 and various versions of those cars on Tsukuba.

The top lap times came in around 1:06. The gold medal Lesson 37 requires you to get that lap time in an Evo 8 MR (a fairly difficult task due to its vicious understeer). Also, many of us compared our times on Fuji with the JGTC cars and had plus/minus 1-2 seconds on the actual times by the real cars. Very close.

Pretty cool

I do know though, that the Skyline R34 Vspec and rx-7 had made it into the 1:05s when raced by best motoring.

I think all of the cars have, but as of recently few seem to do it anymore. Hell the R34 got into the 1:04.xx territory which id FQ-300 and WRX Spec C territory.

I'm just interested to see if in this game the Skyline can compare. I know in real life it is somehow able to overcome it's weight on these tracks and I'm just wondering if that will be accounted for in the game, I know it games like Sega GT and possibly GT3 it wasn't.

I'm in the process of running all the cars on both Tsukuba and Fuji, to get an idea of their relative performance and perhaps divide them into comparable classes later on. I tried most of the cars you mention already (the NSX is still the fastest) but I'll give you a list tonight. I'll be interested to see other people doing the same to compare, so we can see if and how much driving style influences our individual results. :)

I always use MT, no assists, no tcs and Street Tires, which I think are similar to the tires that street cars in GT3 come with by default. "Normal" tires are in fact race tires, and inbetween those two you have "Sports Tires", which are bascially high-performance tires, similar to the Sports tires in GT3.

When they were being tested by Best Motoring, were they non-tuned factory cars? There's a clip posted elsewhere on this site where you see an RX-8 Type S in GT4 and in reality doing the same lap at the same speed and time, side-by-side. With "Normal" tires, the game seems to be faster than reality, but with "Street" tires, I think we'll have to hard in the game to keep up. We'll see, I'll continue my work on this tonight and post results :) I'm working my way through all the cars and did the first 12 or so.

Just wondering.....

How does the skyline r34 Nur compare in GT4 prologue?

Can it keep up with the others?

edit: sorry, didn't see the "tonight" in there

Someone asked on another site how the WRX, Evo and R34 compared to each other in GT4, and if the Nür could hang with the rest of 'em. So I took the bunch and tested a bit:

2nd WRX STi 1st Attempt: 1'08.436 2nd: 1'07.990 (ok lap)
RX-7 Spirit R: 1st Attempt: crash 2nd: 1'06.421 (ok lap)
NSX Type S: 1st Attempt: 1'06.130 2nd: 1'05.999 (slightly off)
RX-8 Type S: 1st Attempt: 1'08.695 2nd: 1'10.015 (screwed up one turn)
Evo VIII MR: 1st Attempt: 1'08.681 2nd: 1'08.055 (tough car)
R34 Nür: 1st Attempt: 1'07.175 (drifty!) 2nd: 1'06.446 (ok lap)
Evo VIII GSR: 1st Attempt: 1'09.025 2nd: 1'07.570 (decent lap)
1st WRX STi (Type VI): 1st Attempt: 1'07.614 2nd: 1'07.067 (good lap)

So, preliminary results:

Tsukuba - Street Tires - MT - No Assists

1. NSX Type S - 1'06.130
2. RX-7 Spirit R - 1'06.421
3. Skyline GTR (R34) Nür - 1'06.446
4. WRX STi Type VI - 1'07.067
5. Evo VIII GSR - 1'07.570
6. WRX STi (2nd) - 1'07.990
7. Evo VIII MR - 1'08.055
8. RX-8 Type S: 1'08.695

Conclusion - yes, it certainly hangs with the others, quite well too ... :D

EDIT: Some other cars that may belong here

Skyline Coupe 350GT 1st: 1'08.460 2nd: 1'07.769
Fairlady Z Roadster 1st: 1'07.395 (good enough lap)

I'll re-watch that Best Motoring DVD to get all the final times and whatnot. But I'm fairly certain that the WRXs and Evos that ran were factory stock on stock tires.

That's pretty awesome. Thanks a lot

As for the best motoring tests they have run a gazillion tests, but as far as I know they run the street tires the car comes with.

I have one question, what is the skyline like compared to the other cars? Does it understeer, is it a crazy slider like in PGR2? Is it an ok handler, but accelerates quickly?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a site with some preview vids and a lot of vids for sale. The specific link is for the tsukaba times
http://www.tuningpt.com/store/tsukuba.htm

Once again, somebody with apparently no life beats me to it. Oh well....

I changed my mind and started this test with normal tires because I thought I could get more consistent lap times since they are easier to drive with. That way I could get a better relative comparison between the cars which is what I thought you wanted. If you are also interested in real life lap time comparison, then I would have to restart the test all over again.

Anything is fine with me, in fact different tires than were already run would be great, especially if they do aid the consistency like you think they might.

Hey don't get angry with me now 8400RPM, I was testing all cars on Tsukuba already anyway this week, it was Friday night, and it only took 8 x 5 minutes. ;)

EDIT: after seeing the real laptimes I decided to give the Nür a couple more laps and managed to get my time down to a 1'05.5. I'm sure I can get it down to the real time given a little more practice, though I think this lap was fairly decent. I've been taking the final turn a bit suboptimal still ... will have to work on the times a bit more. Looks though like this is the tire to use for comparison with the real laptimes, anyways.

Best times so far:

GT=GT4 Prologue No Assists No TCS Street Tires
BM=Best Motoring

GT: 1'05.340 - NSX Type S Zero
BM: 1,05,17 Honda NSX Type S-Zero (MKI)

GT: 1'05.568 - R34 Nür
BM: 1,06,00 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nur (R34)

GT: 1'05.751 - RX-7 Type R
BM: 1,06,47 Mazda RX-7 Type RS Spirit R Typa-A (MKIII 280cv)

GT: 1'06.850 - Lancer Evo VIII GSR
BM: 1,05,23 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII GSR

----

GT: 1'08.094 - S2000
BM: 1,08,96 Honda S2000 (250cv)

GT: 1'08.751 - MR2 GT-S
BM: 1,09,36 Toyota MR2 GT-S (MKII 245cv)

Awesome.

But don't take the BM laps too seriously. I'm not saying they are wrong, but Skyline GTR r34 vspec completed a lap better than either the vspec 2 or NUR.

It is probably just race conditions and track conditions. All the cars appear to be about as competitive as they should be.
It looks like everything but the lancer is where it really should be.

i m also one of the people who dont have a life outside GT4:P anyway heres my lap times ... i dont know how to turn off TCS or any assists... i just chose M/T then press X,X then go... anyway here it is... TSUKUBA LAP TIMES

celica gt-four - 58.473
lancer evo 4 - 59.156
ford focus - 59.261
silvia k - 1'06.725
skyline 350GT - 1'04.116
skyline r34 nur GTR - 1'02.317
lancer evo VIII GSR - 1'04.197
nismo 350z z-tune - 58.742
rx7 spirit-r - 1'02.467
nsx type s zero - 1'02.430
EVO V - 1'04.609

Here's the lap times from the Best Motoring DVDs #5 and #7. As Hobo said, these times aren't gospel - just really good guidelines.

Evo 8 GSR - 1:05.20
WRX STi (newest) - 1:05. 84
Subaru Spec C - 1:04.49
Evo 8 RS (6MT) - 1:06.00

Also:

Puma race Evo - 1:00.025
Advan rally Evo (set for tarmac, no AYC and ACD) - 1:03.612
RS (6MT) - 1:05.013

I believe that Mitsubishi just released the Evo 8 MR recently, which is why I didn't see it in any of the videos. I remember reading a press release about it, but I can't remember what market or purpose it serves. The Evo 8 RS, for example, comes in a 5 speed gravel rally version and a 6 speed tarmac race version.

Yes, you can see why I chose to run with no assists and street tires ... ;)

Here you can find out how to change those settings:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/t-35265.html

That Evo seems definitely to be a bit shortchanged in the game. Other cars are doing fine though - I'd expect to get better laptimes than in real life eventually, because the conditions are always the same (no tire wear and everything) and I get to practice more.

I find that really surprising. The Evo thing I mean. I mean there are lots of reasons it could turn out that way in the game, but the GT series is pretty much the reason the Evo is in America.

I wouldn't expect the car to get a boost, but I would think it would be as accurate as possible.

Arwin, are you talking about BOTH the Evo 8 GSR and the Evo 8 MR? I know the MR drives like butt compared to GSR, but is the GSR that bad as well?

I don't think PD has the correct stats on the Evo MR, because in the game it weighs the same as the GSR. From what I've read, the MR is supposed to be lighter and have even better suspension than the GSR. So wait till complete GT4 to get more accurate times with the MR, I think.

Out of this group of cars, that MR for me is the most fun to drive. Rotates beautifully.

Here are my times with NORMAL tires (the fastest), MT, no assists.
Best lap of 8 laps each car. And I also have the bugged game with the 99.6% throttle, so keep that in mind. This is only a relative comparison between the cars.

R34 Nur Vspec II - 1'02.402
NSX Type S Zero - 1'02.669
RX-7 Spirit R Type A - 1'03.307
Evo VIII MR - 1'03.627
WRX STi (current model) - 1'04.855

Originally posted by jizzmirk
Arwin, are you talking about BOTH the Evo 8 GSR and the Evo 8 MR? I know the MR drives like butt compared to GSR, but is the GSR that bad as well?

Yes. The GSR drives better than the MR, but I have heaps of trouble getting good laps with them, and from the looks of it, so do most others ...

Thanks for the times both of you

They were exactly what I was looking for, and the Nur should be ok in a race with other cars which I'm excited about.

Originally posted by jizzmirk

Well, I've worked on learning how to drive this car today a bit more, and I now managed a 1'05.9 with it. :) So it was mostly my lack of AWD driving skills, at least with this car's setup.

EDIT: 1'05.780 :D

With the MR it's a 1'06.078 in the Lesson 37 test, and I have to note that the fastest time on that challenge is 1'05.4 ... So I guess that the Evo is actually pretty realistically modelled :P

Don't give up IAG, I had a tough time getting those times too, especially with the Evo. The new car db at gt.de (see other thread) has an option to up- and download replays. I will post a lot of my times with replays there, so if you have an x-port or Maxdrive (or whatever that new USB thing from Datel is called, which I'm definitely getting) you can watch the replay and see how it's done.

Back