"Jesko is the first 300mph street car". Texas Mile: "Hold my beer"

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 7 comments

McLaren

Premium
United States
Texas
I've posted about this car a couple times before, but M2K Motorsports' Ford GT finally breached 300mph, setting a Standing Mile record at the Texas Mile Sunday. The car develops an est. 2,500hp retaining the 5.4 liter V8 & is "street legal" (depending on what modifications made technically meet the legal requirements ;) ).

A street-legal car has officially broken the 300 mph barrier in the standing mile. This 2006 Ford GT, run and modified by M2K Motorsports, hit 300.4 mph at the Texas Mile event over the weekend. There isn't a whole lot of street left in this Ford GT, but now it can be said that they beat Hennessey, Bugatti and Koenigsegg to the feat.

This exact Ford GT held the previous standing-mile record at 293.6 mph before, but why not try for 300, right? Even with the car's approximately 2,500 horsepower, it's still legal to take on the streets. We say approximately, because M2K Motorsports is unable to provide an exact horsepower rating due to dyno limitations. It's still using the 5.4-liter V8 engine that came in the car from Ford, but it's twin-turbocharged now. These turbochargers produce a walloping 45 psi of boost, and the engine itself runs on methanol. So yeah, it's pretty bonkers.

You can see the car hit the triple century mark in the video up above on its last run of the day at Victoria Regional Airport. It sounds as wicked as you might expect a 2,500-horsepower V8 engine to sound, and needs a parachute to effectively stop from the high speeds. Funnily enough, the Ford GT still uses a six-speed manual transmission to reach those speeds. For some context, the car had a 205 mph top speed from the factory.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/ford-gt-300-mph-record-standing-mile/

While I get that it's a mostly-production looking car (as opposed to some full-tube chassis, fiberglass bodied drag car that happens to have headlights and a license plate) I do have one question: Did they drive the GT to the event? I'll be impressed if they did. If they trailered it there, then its significantly less apples to apples. If it's running 45psi and turbocharged, I'd imagine the engine probably behaves reasonably well off boost, at least considering it makes 2500hp. :lol:

I wonder if it passes the Texas emissions test. It definitely wouldn't pass Smog out here. :lol:

Ok, that is what I want: a street legal car that is capable of doing more than 300 mph.

Ok, that is what I want: a street legal car that is capable of doing more than 300 mph.
I think owning one would be more frustrating than exhilarating. Imagine owning a machine you know could top 300mph and barely ever being allowed to do more than 60?

I think owning one would be more frustrating than exhilarating. Imagine owning a machine you know could top 300mph and barely ever being allowed to do more than 60?
You do know I was being sarcastic.

No side mirrors, no license plate and a parachute attached to what looks like a protruding object at the rear?

I doubt it's street legal.

Back