Kazunori Yamauchi Responds to Gran Turismo 7 Fan Outrage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,031 comments
Everyone seems to forget games like the new Hitman trilogy.

I understand PD. These events marked the beginning. It's not their fault we play too fast. It will have more events. It will have better payouts. Soon. Have faith.

Last edited:
Instead of lowering the payouts on the tracks, increase it on the other tracks, than people start driving them as well. So they don't grind one mode/track. I won't spend any real money soecially not now by doing this. This wrong! Get the bugs solved, you've got my money for the purchase of GT7. I fullfilled my part of the contract!

I do wish PD would stop using the phrase "microtransactions". £15.99 for 2 million in-game credits is not a microtransaction, it's a transaction.

Hopefully Kazunori Yamauchi's comments hint at the evolution of the game toward something more akin to GT6's approach to in-game purchases, but what Kaz, PD and Sony must understand is that the game is broken now and they are riding their luck expecting people to make do with what is currently a seriously flawed game economy for however long it takes them to correct the problem.

However, the frankly ludicrous price of their in-game credits is just plain wrong, period, and they need to be drastically altered or preferrably scrapped completely.
Was just thinking the same thing. I'm seeing MTX used everywhere but I remember these were small amounts for game trinkets when the term originated.

£16 should be a DLC set. At the bare minimum I'd say a choice of any 2 cars and free tuning parts for a certain time period, even that sounds stingy for £16, a quarter of the game's price but it's several orders of magnitude better. £16 for 2 million credits is a massive transaction and in my view OTX obscene transaction.

Let's also not forget there's a credit cap that is magically waved when you buy the credits and these were brought in after the reviews. Make no mistake they know what they're doing and this is not some misunderstanding.

Kids these days (my generation) seem to be hopelessly addicted to the new live-service model of being drip-fed content throughout a game's "life cycle", that could easily have been present in the release version like it would have been ten years ago. Personally it just seems like more incentive to wait until a year after release, when the game is available at an 80% reduction, to jump in and enjoy a finished product.
That makes a lot of sense. If they were rushing out a game every year or two, that would be more understandable too but, considering they've had 6 years between games, it should be more complete. A continual problem for Kaz seems to be not having enough budget/staff to really build games like he would like, which is the same reason we are playing a brand new game lacking in almost any cars produced in the last 4-5 years.

I have spent $40 on 4 million credits so far, which irritates me but I don't have the time to grind and would rather spend my limited gaming time racing what I want. I know that's not the case for most players though.

Last edited:
I think there should be difficulty bonuses (non custom races) like FM3 and above, there's no real point on having higher difficulty if you get nothing out of it currently. You remember when FM2 and below had negative bonuses?

I think it also be nice if you were able to buy roulette tickets similar to FH3's buyable wheel spins. 1 star cheapest to 6 star most expensive.

Overall, I think this game needed more time in the oven.

Last edited:
Woah. There's a lot here.

1st - Kaz admitting that the game basically isn't finished, and promising more will be available with (presumably) higher payouts. Confirming without confirming they were forced into the deadline?

2nd - not giving any sort of time frame on when the actual things will come is concerning. Clearly, not confident on the completeness of the events.

3rd - If they don't want people grinding SP, increase online payouts. It's really that simple. That's where the variety lies. I understand MAYBE not going crazy with the lobby payouts, but not increasing Sport mode payouts is honestly infuriating.

EDIT 4th: They addressed they "don't want" people to pay for credits. Some can take that as just PR, but considering Kaz insinuated in point 1 above, I think that's also a subcomment regarding Sony wanting an extra influx of profit.

Last edited:
the recent Jimmy Fallon video showed that there were more new events (either already in the game, just not accessible to us yet or not in a final build).

since GT5 the level of content between when the game released and when the next GT game was announced has increased drastically. in GT5 we only got a few cars and tracks (and as paid dlc), they added seasonal events and the online car dealership. spec II was a year later and added much need quality of life fixes and a cockpit view for the standard cars.

in GT6 B-spec, course maker, a lot more cars and tracks, and the ayrton senna + red bull special events were added, as well as Sierra.

in GT sport, effectively half the car + track count was added since release (the car count doubled from 2017-2020), we didn't even have Le Mans, or tsukuba, or even a career mode at launch.

it's been stated we should expect more tracks, cars, missions and events over the next few years for GT7, and I can imagine if we take the GT7 from 2025 and had that in front of us now this discussion probably wouldn't be happening. I hope there's a big spec II like update soon, where they add a whole bunch of events (a lot more, not just 5/10) and fixes to the lobby system, allow us to sell cars, etc. I think the payouts will not be like how they were in seasonal events (i.e. very high), but there will be a lot of events to give us variety and not make it feel so grindy (i.e. not having to repeat the same race over and over).

it just sucks that we can't expect that to happen at release anymore, but at least Kaz has acknowledged the issues instead of ignoring them like in madden/FIFA (not that that should be the baseline for comparison).

I'm just gonna put things into context here, because one of the reasons why intelligent conversations fail to pop up is because some people just outright generalize stuff and not take the extra time to think.

The nerf on the credit payouts was unacceptable, is unacceptable, and will always be unacceptable. If this was a free-to-play game (which it clearly 🤬 is not), it would not be that big of a problem. But this is a PREMIUM, FULL PRICE, AAA GAME with microtransactions. Microtransactions ARE NOT INHERENTLY BAD (shocking! I know!), but the way in which they are implemented is what causes backlash. A full price AAA game is supposed to be fun straight out of the box and not filled with deliberate inconveniences that would force players to dish out real money (something that's found in, I dunno, F2P games, perhaps?).

Taking what Kaz said, he didn't want players to "mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again". This is a clear disconnect to the players and video games in general, because minmaxing has always been a part of video games, and it will continue to be so. IF he was dead set on giving players more options to farm credits, he should have just proceeded with increasing payouts on all the other events, and NEVER resort to nerfing. The reason why you would pay for a full price game is to avoid the inconveniences that a F2P game has, and if GT7 is going to railroad you into pulling out your wallet (because nothing is literally stopping them from nerfing anything to the 🤬 ground at this point) then I'm not getting my hopes up on future updates.

Last edited:
I do wish PD would stop using the phrase "microtransactions". £15.99 for 2 million in-game credits is not a microtransaction, it's a transaction.
It's an accurate use of the term.

While "microtransaction" basically gets its name from an evolution of "micropayment" (which was originally intended to be fractions of a cent), it's technically now a term for any transfer that requires payment in real-world currencies to access digital items. That actually covers paid DLC too, but I personally hate the use of the term that way because... we already have the term "paid DLC".

I'm not sure whether it's industry standard to only use the term to mean cash-for-credits, but PD certainly uses it that way considering it delineated GT6 and GT7's microtransactions from GT Sport's paid-content cars when it said GTS would not have MTs.

Unfortunately, £16/$20 for 2 million credits is far from the largest microtransaction out there either - even if you restrict it to currenct and don't include DLC items like skins, guns, cars, spaceships and so on. In fact not even the $100 Megalodon Shark Card in GTA is close to it.

While I can see the argument that MTs in some applications are beneficial in that they allow players who are not time-rich to access content they would otherwise not be able to access (which is how GT6 worked, essentially), I still hate them. Make all the content available in an inconsequential arcade mode. Done.

LOL, one more thing.

We would really appreciate it if everyone could watch over the growth of Gran Turismo 7 from a somewhat longer term point of view.
No, a game is not a long term investment. When I go to the theater they don't tell me check back in 4-6 months, maybe we can actually put on a show then.

Here is my plan: I'm installing GT Sport as I write this, maybe that is actually finished by now. I have not seen it since launch,but some say it now has more content than GT7.

I'm inclined to believe him but it still was a terrible choice to cut those races in half.

Also, if you don't want us grinding, why in the hell are you limiting what cars we can buy and giving us invitation deadlines on the more expensive cars? Makes no sense.

I dont accept anything of what he said, he claims he wants to give us a game not bursting with MTs... Just do it then, you are the lead, make it happen or if you cant then be honest, you cant because your overlords are forcing MTs on us in order to milk all of the money possible out of the players.

He also claims he doesnt want players to be mechanically playing races over and over... then 1. where TF are the rest of the races (how many years development and all you came up with was 39 menus (which are awful) and a few races per track) and 2. Why TF did you just half a bunch of the payouts forcing players more than ever to mechanically play races over and over.

This "Statement" is nothing more than a placative bit of corporate bull. GTF

Refund requested, expect to get told to GTF but at least I'm making the point.

Last edited:
Yes. And then everything was lowered, except for a couple broken events that were increased from 5k to 70k.
Ah i see,i stupidly assumed it meant they would be payout depending on difficulty setting.The 2 events that were upped are 10 lap races i think,but these arent available until after finishing the menu books?
His letter to us looks like a corporate response to calm us down,hey when we log back in we may find hes docked us 50,000 credits for recieving the letter.:lol::lol::cheers:

Last edited:
I dont accept anything of what he said, he claims he wants to give us a game not bursting with MTs... Just do it then, you are the lead, make it happen or if you cant then be honest, you cant because your overlords are forcing MTs on us in order to milk all of the money possible out of the players.

He also claims he doesnt want players to be mechanically playing races over and over... then 1. where TF are the rest of the races (how many years development and all you came up with was 39 menus (which are awful) and a few races per track) and 2. Why TF did you just half a bunch of the payouts forcing players more than ever to mechanically play races over and over.

This "Statement" is nothing more than a placative bit of corporate bull. GTF
Surely you understand why he can't say that his bosses are making him put stuff in the game or meet a deadline right? Would you?

I understand that is what he wants us to do, but that's not how people play the game. In fact cutting the payouts will make it worse. If anything they should be larger if he doesn't want grinding to exist.
yup, why didn't they bring the credits up to par with the highest paid out event instead of nerfing that and other ones? lol. it's clear the motivation here is microtransactions.

Back