Kazunori Yamauchi Responds to Gran Turismo 7 Fan Outrage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,031 comments
m76
They don't want you grindin' that's true enough, because they want you payin'
If they really wanted people paying they wouldn't have priced things so ridiculously. I can't imagine anyone is actually buying those things

Unless this is just a hilariously bad miscalculation on their part but I have no idea how they could go from gt sports microtransactions to this and think it would ever work in their favor.

Surely he can understand why we dont believe what he is saying and know fine well that this boils down to nothing more than "**** you, give me money"
We both can be right and we both can be wrong. Unless either of us work at PD, I don't really think we can say anything "Boils down to nothing more" than either option.

Last edited by a moderator:
m76
LOL, one more thing.

No, a game is not a long term investment. When I go to the theater they don't tell me check back in 4-6 months, maybe we can actually put on a show then.

Here is my plan: I'm installing GT Sport as I write this, maybe that is actually finished by now. I have not seen it since launch,but some say it now has more content than GT7.
Yeah that "We would really appreciate it if everyone could watch over the growth of Gran Turismo 7 from a somewhat longer term point of view" is complete bullcrap. A video game should be judged and appreciated based on what content it has right now, not based on what it could possibly have down the line (Anthem comes to mind). If people do what Kaz asks of them without thinking twice, then they are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:
Statement from Kaz absolutely underlines his blinkered and stubborn view of the player experience. He cannot see the wood for the trees. He cannot see that his game is utterly flawed, and instead blaming players for having the wrong attitude.

Grinding is what gamers do when they can't earn comparable in-game currency by playing the game in a progressive way.

On top of that, it's often a staple part of modern gaming, and if Kaz had any kind of perspective outside of the bubble he inhabits, he would understand this.

He would have made a much better 'sandbox' aspect to GT7 so players could 'enjoy' variety whilst also earning credits. You can't just put content that requires thousands of hours to afford, and expect players not to seek out an effective way to make money.

What Kaz completely fails to realise is that every single one of the players 'mechanically' grinding those CRAPPY events would LOVE to be grinding all kinds of different events.

He deserves to get completely slammed IMO.

The GT series creator states that he would like to avoid a situation where players are “mechanically … replaying certain events over and over again” (also known as “grinding”) and would like players to enjoy the game “even without microtransactions”.

-​

Well Kaz, you have to know I was already grinding credits in Gran Turismo 2 with the Red Rock Valley race to collect expensive cars of the game. Or in GT4, the DTM championship.

I'm sorry, but I love cars. If the game had 30000 cars, I try to have all of them, just to try them, tune them.

I already did the majority of the offline races, so let me grind my credits if I want.

GT7 is the only cars game I play, so I'm replaying the same game over and over. Is this meaning I'm grinding GT7? :irked:

Developpers create the game, players make it live.

I would definitely support the reasoning of increasing payouts for some less attractive races, not slashing the rewards for good races like they've done. And sure, some cars should remain expensive and hard to obtain, but it shouldn't feel like you're stuck in a low paid job working your ass off to get them and asking yourself afterwards if it was really worth it. Or, even worse, cheating with microtransactions.

Last edited:
"At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices."

Actually no. Is it important Kaz? Isn't the point of racing games that we get to experience these cars because more than likely we never will? He's basically admitting an intentional grind for fake reasons. The game economy needs a reasonable overhaul. At least allow duplicates to be sold back to the game like FH does for some credits would be a start.

Unsatisfying response on more than one level.

Firstly, promising us more events (when? Who knows?) while making what we have now worse is utterly flawed. Nerf Fisherman's ranch when there's other events to try instead of nerfing it when there's still little else to do.

Also, if he wants us to try events besides Fisherman's Ranch, then surely could the payouts for other races not be brought UP to match? No, of course we cut payouts because they ARE pushing for mtx sales, no matter how he tries to spin it. I always defended PD in the past but there is no way to spin this that isn't anti-consumer.

Imo Mr Kaz just wants us to enjoy the game, today with the cheaper cars, and later we will have the chance to buy supercars. Have patience people! Updates are promised.

Rome was not built in 1 day neither.
But to enjoy the game you have to be able to play it. With the always online limitation it's not possible to do that. And what happens when the servers will be shut down in the future? I would like to go back and be able to play games from years ago.

Last edited:
I played GT1, GTSport and now GT7 so I don't know the full history but I am heartened by Kaz's message. My main fear was that the community's outrage and pleas would go unnoticed and unackowledged. That Kaz has addressed the issues head-on and actually referred directly to grinding and the fact that he doesn't want people to have to do that, speaks to his intentions. I don't think he's stupid. Making direct statements like that in black and white, and not following through with the goods later, sets him up for massive egg on face. So lets see what they deliver.

I agree that they should just immediately increase the payouts on a number of events as that will provide short term relief to their fans. I can't see why they cannot reverse the backward movements they made in the 1.07 update. And then yes I look forward to a longer term implementation that enables us to achieve the 3, 5, and 6 million credit cars in a reasonable time frame, and also a few 20M cars.

💩 How about actually living up to your words of claiming to enjoy the cars and races without microtransactions. 💩

Want the players to not grind for 1 event then give the planned/locked events that give better, generous payout.

And the artificial scarcity went untouched and will always be.

And that's far from actually fixing, with the "races" not being actual races, what enjoying races?

Last edited:
What I read out of that statement was: "when players find another way to make money, we will nerf that too"

This seriously might be the dumbest statement I've ever seen released by a developer. It's completely contradictory, anti-player, and tone deaf.

People will want to buy cars, and they will find the best way to do it. Fisherman's is still the best way to get credits. Should we be expecting another nerf in 1.09?

Kaz can go ** *****!

Last edited:
I think there's a couple things going on here. There is a lot more competition for racing games at the moment and those that seek a purer online environment may just go to iracing or ACC if being competitive in GT7 is going to cost a lot of time/money. I happily spend a couple hundred a year on iracing cause the price structure is upfront and I know what I am getting. GT7 seems to have the full content of the game hidden behind a wall of mystery.

The people who grew up on Gran Turismo are now adults. When they played the early games they were time rich/ resource poor and now as adults it's the inverse. Those that have the ability to be online and voice their concerns are not the 8 year olds who love grinding away at the game just playing endlessly. It's the people who are the office 60 hours a week instead playing 4 hours a day after school who are online complaining.

Instead of reducing the payout of some races so we don't 'grind' them they could've ... hmm... let me think 🤔 ...
Up the payout of the races people aren't playing...

Edit: the funny thing is people still grind the same exact races as they are still the best payouts so this achieves nothing if you go by the corporate letter to fans.

Last edited:
I find crazy that he is somewhat surprised at people trying to get credits as efficiently as they could in this game.
I think what he means is that he wants players to have a wide range of choices when it comes to earning credits rather than only really having one event that's clearly better than all the others in the game with regards to earnings, but which may not suit everyone.

So he claims that he doesn't want people to grind races and he doesn't want people to rely on microtransactions.

He also acknowledges that there isn't enough initial content in a game that's been in development for around 9 years (in some shape or form).

So the solution is to lower the payout and further entice people to buy in-game money using microtransactions.

If they actually cared about grinding, they would have increased payouts across the board. Or how about this, ACTUALLY PAY PEOPLE FOR RACING IN ONLINE LOBBIES.

Never mind the fact that the game shouldn't have microtransactions at all.

What is their suggestion now? That we just stop playing until they decide to release more races which will likely have the same cut reward prices that they just implemented to the already existing content. In the hopes that we might be able to buy one or two million dollar cars?

Is no one else going to mention how the roulette system gives you a "ticket" to buy a multi-million dollar car in a certain time-period? Basically incentivizing you to buy microtransactions so you can buy it before it isn't available anymore?

Last edited:
Instead of reducing the payout of some races so we don't 'grind' them they could've ... hmm... let me think 🤔 ...

Edit: the funny thing is people still grind the same exact races as they are still the best payouts so this achieves nothing if you go by the corporate letter to fans.
Yep. Agreed. But no, that's a scandalous idea in the eyes of the developers/publisher for some reason...

My takeaway from all this is they're basically encouraging us not to play at all until more events are available.

Last edited:
"At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices."

Actually no. Is it important Kaz? Isn't the point of racing games that we get to experience these cars because more than likely we never will? He's basically admitting an intentional grind for fake reasons. The game economy needs a reasonable overhaul. At least allow duplicates to be sold back to the game like FH does for some credits would be a start.
if that statement was really true about conveying the cars value and rarity then we should be able to sell them for such prices as well.
PD really dropped the ball, it's a shame because I love the GT series.

It does accomplish something, it further incentivizes people to pull out their credit card now that it is even harder to buy a car they would like to own in game.

if that statement was really true about conveying the cars value and rarity then we should be able to sell them for such prices as well.
PD really dropped the ball, it's a shame because I love the GT series.
The entire car rarity/value argument goes out the window when you can buy them for real money.

It would be like calling any vehicle in GTA Online rare.

Last edited:
Back