Kicking the ass of overweight/overpowered cars ..

• Thread starter turbobilly
  • 20 comments
( I don't know if i am posting this in the correct 'directory' :nervous: , if not please move this thread , thx 👍 )

I've got a mate who adores those bigpowered, heavyweight monsters like the Mercedes SLR ,SL 500/600/65AMG ,Bmw M5 , Audi RS6 , Ford GT , Lexus SC430 , etc ...

and I don't quite like 'em . OK ,they are all very fast in a straight line but I'm quite sure they'll eat dust on a nice track with some corners ...

Because he's always wining about these cars i want to make a point clear ...

So my plan is to beat all of them with cars that have half the HP(less or more) and off course weigh a lot less than these Fat *****es ...

I'm thinking in the region of :
Alpine A110
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint
Bmw 2002 Turbo
Lancia Stratos
Lotus Elise / Elan
Renault 5 Turbo / Peugeot 205T16
Caterham Seven
Suzuki GSX-R/4
Opel Speedster Turbo
VW Golf I Gti / Lupo Gti Cup Car
Toyota Corolla AE86 / MR 2 1st gen
Honda Civic Type-R
Ford RS200
Mazda MX-5

If you like this challenge , pick a car from the last list and a car which you wan't to humiliate from the first list and smoke 'em .

Maybe at first we'll try beating them in standard trim , and if that doesn't work try a little tuning but not too extensive ... (try to keep the halfHP rule in mind more or less :) )

And finally , the track(s) : You can try them all , but i'm quite sure the Big Berta's won't get beaten on high speed ring or some oval course ... :sly: ....

my suggestions :
Tsukuba / Autumn Ring (Mini) / some of the City Courses ..

hope you like this challenge and write some nice Race Reports ..! 👍

Tsukuba is not good choice. it has that long straight, and big power is pretty good there. but, El Capitan would be good, since it's bouncy and has tight curves to even up the main straight.. and what comes to Cars, Elise 111R will absolutely kill competition, and Ford RS200 will do that too. Add Pug 205 T16 into that list. and couple newer cars that could also be competitive against those luxury grand tourers:

ASL Garayia ( just like Elise, bit heavier, but well under ton as well)
BMW120i ( on curvy tracks this car owns.)
Toyota MR2 (first and second gen are good handlers)
Mazda MX-5 ( what could be more fun that beat 500k? car with a 30k+ car?)
Focus RS ( this car hangs out there with V8 musclecars, and even defeats them in corners.)

and some tracks:
Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Hong Kong..

has he modded those cars fully? if he has, we can easily mod these babies fully and still stay within the "half of the power"-rule..

but, anyways, i think I could do few tests. I know that SL65 AMG put's out 999bhp, thus, i think I'll try a car that has approximately 500 bhp. I'll test it on Trial Mountain and let you know what kind of time I got. I'll use R3's and no NOS.. laters :sly:

well , i forgot the MR2 , but about the other cars : the RS and the 120i are cool but in my opinion too heavy (although the civic type-r is probably in about the same class i think)

And yeah , my mate tunes them but maybe we can try 1st beating them standard and then tuning both cars and see what comes out (and try keeping the HP rule in mind when tuning :sly: )

thx for testing ..

you mean Focus RS? err.. if i recall right, it weights 980 kg stock in GT4.. seriously quick machine.

I got 1'23.700 with fully modded 22B STi.. now I'm going to try stock Elise to see how big the difference is.

edit: okies, got 1'38.606 with stock Elise with few minor errors. if I'd try bit harde, it could be shortened with a second or two.

Try theses tracks in stead... The Big cas will go all over the place on these..
Infineon(either one)
El Capitan
Trial Mountain
Laguna Seca
And theres a few others,
and those small towns in Italy, Amalfi, and that other place.

Just for reference I hit 1'21 somethings at Deep Forest Raceway on both the VW W12 Nardo Concept and the Pagani Zonda 7.3. The Mazda RX-7 Spirit R achieved a time of 1'29 I think and the Honda Civic Type-R (EP) '01 hit 1'36. I'm not on my computer right now so I can't check my lap time list but I'll update it sometime later. All I know that is it'll be extremely difficult to actually achieve what we are doing if all cars are using the same tires.

All the lap times I mentioned on the previous paragraph were running on N3s. My modified Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Race Car fully lightened, spoiler, race suspension, and turboed up to 490 something HP with R3 tires (I think they were R3s, I'll check later) achieved a lap time of 1'11 around DFR.

Leonidae or anyone who fancies it, I challange you to beat my lap Round El Capitan in a Lotus Carlton '90. The lap time was 2'00.248, im still trying to beat that time tho. :dunce:

Your car must Have Under 170 hp (Under Half of mine) but can be as light as you want. Only stock tho! The Lotus Carlton weighs 1655Kg.

I bet you tho my Carlton has the handling of any of your new spangled Light cars.

Thanks 👍

Sports Medium Tyres by the way

New lap time : 1'58.646

Totally stock Lotus Elise 111S; 156hp, 806kg; medium sports

El Capitan: 1:59,387

EDIT: just saw you did an 58, I'm on it!

EDIT: 1:58,726 is the best I can give you at the moment. There's still more in it though, and it's not like it's far away from the Carlton time, is it?

EDIT: 1:58,597. And there's still some in it. You just need to get a proper lap together.

Just for the fun of it I thought I would try a bike from Tourist Trophy that had no more than 1/4 the power of the Lotus Carlton.

Stock Honda VFR '05, 79hp, 215kg

El Capitan: 2'03.035

I did two quick laps, on the second one I got that time, could go faster but its off pace anyway.

*cough* Caterham Seven FireBlade: 1:55,769 *cough*

So much for the Lotus Carlton. :rolleyes:

EDIT: 1:54,231, and there's still something in it.

the Interceptor
*cough* Caterham Seven FireBlade: 1:55,769 *cough*

So much for the Lotus Carlton. :rolleyes:

EDIT: 1:54,231, and there's still something in it.
around the 'ring, despite the straight, the caterham's a fantastic drive. AND it'd probably beat a carlton.

elises are massively quick too

RE: Original question: Focus RS, no. It's nimble, but traction and tirewear are too compromised for a race of any length.

If you're looking at a David vs. Goliath thing, most every track in GT4 will favor a more powerful car, unless the power difference is "just" 100hp, in which case, the more nimble car can still win.

Infineon Sports Car Course is a good choice, as it's tight with wide run-off areas, meaning you can easily overcook it and lose lots of time getting back on track if the car you're driving is a handful.

FF cars which you can do consistent and quick laps include the Honda Integra Type R (latest) and the Clio 2.0. But they don't have as much straightline pace as some of those monsters, and you'll have to be a much better driver to pull it off.

The M5 is a very easy car to drive, and if it's that one you're up against, most small cars don't stand a chance. I'll take a spin later and report on it, but I think the one thing that will come close is a Sport Elise 190.

Ford GT '05, port/polish, balancing, stage 3 (1276 kg), chassis stiffness, racing exhaust, sports chip, all driveline upgrades, racing suspension, S3 tires, 637 HP

El Capitan, 1'42.044 A-spec, 1'44.682 B-spec
Deep Forest, 1'16.279 A-spec, 1'18.662 B-spec

and some raw meat for you guys:
Autumn Ring Mini, 0'38.043 A-spec, 0'39.098 B-spec

Don't forget to use the Motorsport Elise somewhere in there. According to the game it is a road car.

*Mini-race report*

BMW 2002 Turbo vs. Overweight and overpowered cars.

I did this a while ago when I was bored, but it fits nicely into this thread. :) Basically I modded up a 2002 Turbo and ran some family cups around Deep Forest, starting with the opponent difficulty at 0 and increasing it every time I won. About half an hour later, I found myself on 10... :ill:

So, there I was, sitting at the tail end of a queue comprising of;
  • Mercedes SL65 AMG '04
  • Ford GT '02
  • Jaguar XJ220 '92
  • Pagani Zonda C12S '00
  • Ford GT '04

Considering the difficulty I had beating the Esprit V8 that featured in the last two races, I figured I was pretty much stuffed for this one. What can a 30-odd year old saloon do against that line'up, even with go-faster M3 rims? :sly:

So, off we go, everyone disappears over the crest of the hill and I'm left for dead. Then something strange starts to happen. Braking into the first corner, I seem to be gaining slightly on the newer GT. And I'm keeping up climbing the next hill. What is going on? The Esprit was outpacing me easily along here.

Through turn 2 the gap seems to widen slightly, but with a, er, 'unique' line through turn 3:

I was right up behind the GT by turn four, and when he unexpectedly braked through turn 5, I managed to get the power on early and not only out-drag the GT, but the Zonda as well:

Suddenly I'm in 4th place, and feeling rather smug. This feeling increased when I managed to outbrake the XJ20 into turn 9, completely by accident.

Well, I'm not complaining. :D Another fun corner exit:

And I was on my way to hunt down the SL65 and the second GT.

This however didn't take as long as expected, because by turn 13:

I seemed to be able to get on the power a lot earlier than the GT and the SL65, and so I came rocketing up behind it into the kink before the last corner. It was literally neck and neck, but I just managed to eek out a lead and out-brake the SL-65 into the last corner, with the Ford GT still in hot pursuit.

After that, the race got a l'il boring. None of the cars seemed able to touch me along the main straight, so I did some wanna-be classic touring car/drift shots instead. Enjoy. :dopey:

And some other shots that didn't really belong anywhere:

Hmm...I guess 'mini' is a relative term? :lol: I think I may have broken the half HP rule with about 330hp, but I think it's worth it. :D:tup:

turbobilly
( I don't know if i am posting this in the correct 'directory' :nervous: , if not please move this thread , thx 👍 )

I've got a mate who adores those bigpowered, heavyweight monsters like the Mercedes SLR ,SL 500/600/65AMG ,Bmw M5 , Audi RS6 , Ford GT , Lexus SC430 , etc ...

and I don't quite like 'em . OK ,they are all very fast in a straight line but I'm quite sure they'll eat dust on a nice track with some corners ...

Because he's always wining about these cars i want to make a point clear ...

So my plan is to beat all of them with cars that have half the HP(less or more) and off course weigh a lot less than these Fat *****es ...

I'm thinking in the region of :
Alpine A110
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint
Bmw 2002 Turbo
Lancia Stratos
Lotus Elise / Elan
Renault 5 Turbo / Peugeot 205T16
Caterham Seven
Suzuki GSX-R/4
Opel Speedster Turbo
VW Golf I Gti / Lupo Gti Cup Car
Toyota Corolla AE86 / MR 2 1st gen
Honda Civic Type-R
Ford RS200
Mazda MX-5

If you like this challenge , pick a car from the last list and a car which you wan't to humiliate from the first list and smoke 'em .

Maybe at first we'll try beating them in standard trim , and if that doesn't work try a little tuning but not too extensive ... (try to keep the halfHP rule in mind more or less :) )

And finally , the track(s) : You can try them all , but i'm quite sure the Big Berta's won't get beaten on high speed ring or some oval course ... :sly: ....

my suggestions :
Tsukuba / Autumn Ring (Mini) / some of the City Courses ..

hope you like this challenge and write some nice Race Reports ..! 👍
Good Luck against the Ford GT. She isn't that bad of a handler unless your aiming for beating AI.

Back