Knight Rider's KITT Crowned as World Cup of TV Cars Winner

Awesome!

Sadly I did not get to vote due to me not having account on said site but I am pleased KITT won! Now it's time for a celebration
revisit to the old PS2 Knight Rider game...

I really hope that this does not include the completely ridiculous and very ugly Super Pursuit mode.

also it kinda liked KARR more that KITT. I preferred the two tone paint and the evil voice.

I suppose we can’t have KARR though as he was always defeated by KITT.

Its interesting to me that KITT is so well loved but the Trans Am it's based on doesn't seem to have a fan base. Even the contemporary Camaro (not to mention Mustang) seems to draw more enthusiasts. I practically never see those 3rd gen Pontiacs on the road, which is a bit of a shame because I always thought they looked pretty cool. Maybe too Joe Dirt....

If you live in the Uk and would like to have your very own KITT

Might still be up for sale.

I’d be tempted to make it in to a KARR, I bet that’s much more rare than KITT replicas.

KITT beat General Lee? I am old enough to have watched both shows (I was pretty young when the Dukes of Hazzard aired) and the only reason it won is because of attitudes toward the General. General Lee, going from memory, was a WAY bigger deal and a much cooler car. It's a shame it has such a bad connotation now. I'm not arguing or trying to get into political/racist discussions.....just saying it sucks the more important car loses because of these reasons rather than just going by the car in the show, and the importance of it in pop culture. From everything I remember, the show itself had some pretty positive role models.

No love for Wonder Bug?
My interest in VW's & all things automotive started here.

Don't even have the wiggles big red car in the list smh
No love for Wonder Bug?
Nominations were open here for a full week. Anyone here could have nominated any car from TV at any time in that week.

I was surprised not to see Face's Corvette, the Aston Martin and Dino from The Persuaders, the Green Hornet's Black Beauty, Captain Scarlet's SPV, anything from Transformers animations, The Prisoner's Lotus Seven, or The Fall Guy's GMC Sierra nominated. But they weren't.

KITT beat General Lee? I am old enough to have watched both shows (I was pretty young when the Dukes of Hazzard aired) and the only reason it won is because of attitudes toward the General. General Lee, going from memory, was a WAY bigger deal and a much cooler car. It's a shame it has such a bad connotation now. I'm not arguing or trying to get into political/racist discussions.....just saying it sucks the more important car loses because of these reasons rather than just going by the car in the show, and the importance of it in pop culture. From everything I remember, the show itself had some pretty positive role models.
I wouldn't say "only reason", but all of this is noted within the article...

KITT's popularity is in part down to the fact that the car was actually a character. The Dukes were Bo and Luke (and other cousins due to contract disputes in later series), and the General was just what they drove. It went quite quickly, made a nice noise, jumped over things, and then they got out and did scenes with other actors. Knight Rider was Michael Knight and KITT - Hasselhoff may have done the leg work, but KITT was always listening in, or in the conversation on the digital watch, and driving to places independently of Knight, and flirting with Bonnie. And then he had all his car abilities and Knight-granted powers.

Honestly, it was tough to see anything but KITT winning this, precisely because KITT was a voiced, acted character in the show.

Last edited:
In 2001 I had a black 1983 Trans Am. Typical silly kid in his early 20’s I cut it out and installed a red light bar thinking whoa I am cool.

I was pulled over in my hometown in upstate NY, the officer was quite fond of Kitt, knew what I was trying to do and issued me a warning for displaying emergency lights. I removed it.

The car was sold a few years later with the front bumper still cut out.

flirting with Bonnie
o-WILLIAM-DANIELS-BOY-MEETS-WORLD-facebook.jpg

And as was mentioned, KITT actually had a nemesis in KARR, albeit over a short story arc rather than as a series constant (which would have been kind of cool). The only nemesis the General Lee had was apparently gravity.

@Famine I can agree with a lot of that. Maybe it was partly my tastes, but I didn't enjoy Knight Rider a whole lot. So that's where I'm coming from. To each their own. I think it would have been at the very least a close contest if it weren't for all the controversy

@Famine I can agree with a lot of that. Maybe it was partly my tastes, but I didn't enjoy Knight Rider a whole lot. So that's where I'm coming from. To each their own. I think it would have been at the very least a close contest if it weren't for all the controversy
I'm betting Daisy Duke was the main reason.

I'm betting Daisy Duke was the main reason.
Haha probably for some. I was not even born when it started, so I didn't really think of her. Side note - I met Boss Hogg when I was about 7, he was super nice and signed a picture for me. I told him he was never gonna catch the Duke boys, and he said he sure was, just wait and see:lol:

i know. That’s the one that should’ve won. Or the Burton Batmobile.
Neither won the Movie Cars competition that they were both actually in and eligible for, so they'd be hard-pressed to do better in a TV Cars competition that they're not eligible for...

Neither won the Movie Cars competition that they were both actually in and eligible for, so they'd be hard-pressed to do better in a TV Cars competition that they're not eligible for...
Oh yeah. I forgot these were “TV” cars. Wasn’t Herbie the Love Bug a movie car too?

Oh yeah. I forgot these were “TV” cars. Wasn’t Herbie the Love Bug a movie car too?
It was a movie car originally in the 1966 film "The Love Bug", and a TV car, in the five-episode show "Herbie, the Love Bug" (with Dean Jones returning as Herbie's original owner Jim Douglas) in 1982.

Showing my fanboy history of Knight Rider but the first ever episode with K.A.R.R. Trust Doesn't Rust both cars were actually the same!

Same black paint/red light sensor bar and dashboard because that was the basic start of the story two thieves stealing the shut down supercar from Wilton Knight's storage facility and the police thinking the foundation were the bad guys and thus Michael and K.I.T.T. meet K.A.R.R. for the first time.

In the later episode K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R. when the boy and girlfriend find K.A.R.R. on the beach he is still painted black but the sensor lights on the front
and dash changed to yellowish green and during that episode K.A.R.R. requests to be resprayed halfway through which is where the black/silver paint version of him appears from.

That's my history lesson for the day over! Carry on!

Back