Laguna Seca - The Write up.

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 4 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
Laguna Seca - The Write up.

I stuck with the Calsonic (removed stage 2 turbo ) as it looked competitive. Ran a qualifying lap of 1’21.499. Good enough to get me into 4th place. I’m running slicks, so I should be able to get near the top. After a few laps, and an intensive Excel Spreadsheet calculation, I found that the combo I was running would put me about a lap (1’24seconds) down over the course of the race. The Stage 2 turbo would kill the competition, so I went back to the tune shop, and picked up a Stage 1 turbo. This also dropped the Corvette C5R and the Esperante from the line-up, in favor of the Storm, and the CLK touring car. This also changed my qualifying time to 1’21.604 on blue/green tires. (Oddly enough, this moved me up to 2nd place).

This track has to be near the top for my favorite, for all the right reasons.
Thoughts
A few thoughts on this race before the starting pistol. I spent nearly an hour trying to make my car competitive with the field. Testing/tweaking/calculating and so on. Only to have the game itself change the field. Calculating out the race, I would lose by about a lap, I might have changed to Super slicks. Or change the Turbo, and outdo the competition. Catch 22. Well figured that out after lap 16…

A few thoughts on this race after lap 16. I couldn’t seem to get ahead of the Viper. I thought it may have been because of the AI cheating, but after reviewing the 16 lap replay all the times looked good. All the tweaking I had done was for naught, as the Viper was simply a stronger faster car. So…I threw out the previous game, and started in on a new race, this time with the Stage2 turbo installed.

Settings:

Having recently becoming involved in OLR, I found the necessity of tweaking the suspension. Although, the LSD remains still a black art in my book.

(If it’s not listed, I left it at stock configuration)
Ride height: F = 51; R = 55
Camber: F = 3.1
Brakes: F= 20; R = 24
Gears: Auto Setting = level 27
Down force: F= 0.66; R = 0.96
ASM = 0; TCS = 1

Pit Schedule:
I pitted on laps: 10, 20, 30, 40, 51, 64 and 77.
Team Oreca Viper pitted an 8 laps schedule (including lap 88)
Esperante pitted a 5 lap schedule
Corvette C5R car pitted a 6 lap schedule
GT40 pitted on a 15 lap schedule
Storm V12 pitted a 5 lap schedule.

I could go 2 more laps on a set of tires than the Viper could. Amounting to 3 less pit stops for me. You’ll notice near the end of the race, my pit schedule changed drastically. What I found was that I had been shifting into 3rd to take the corkscrew, and 2nd for the final hairpin. When I instead dropped to 4th in the corkscrew, and 3rd in the hairpin, I was able to extend tire life by nearly 3 laps from my original strategy.

Results:
Viper Team Oreca: + 56.436 seconds
Corvette C5R: + 3 laps
GT40: + 4 laps
Esperante: + 4 laps
Storm V12: + 5 laps

Best lap: 1’17.092
Total time: 2:02.47.851
Average lap: 1’21.865
Average lap (w/out 18 sec. pit): 1’20.465

Side note: oil light came on in lap 82. HP dropped to 595 from 638 and returned to 625.

This nets me 300,000cr and F686/M

A few thoughts after the checkered flag. I’ve found it usually takes me about 12-15 laps to hit my groove, and then I slowly chip seconds off my time. My best lap in the previous race was near 1’19. This race, I hit my groove, and drop to a hair over 1’17 on my 14th lap. This is also the moment when I move back into the lead, as well as hit lap traffic. It didn’t help that on lap 2, I got shoved at the top of the corkscrew and pushed sideways down the hill. Then nailed by every AI behind me, leaving me 16 seconds out of 1st.

Laps 35 - 48 were a great race. The Viper had a better high end acceleration, and higher tops speed, but I could corner much quicker and accelerate better out of the corners. This caused us to run very tight for more than 10 laps. I would take the first hairpin, and stretch the lead out to 2.0xx seconds. Once through the “Tight section of the track, the Viper would then squeeze the lead down to less than ½ second. On lap 47, we caught lap traffic, and drafted a train of 5 cars through the corkscrew, and up to pit lane. The Esperante, GT40, Storm V12, Myself and the Viper. Then pit strategy loosened things up a bit.

And as a final note, at 78.2% I finally picked up an F1.

AO

Der Alta, you are using a spreadsheet to calculate all of these reaces. How did you set it up and what factors were you using. I am very interested about this. I would really like to be able to calculate the outcome of a race before I attempt it.

By the way, excellent write up on the race.

I use Excel for a spreadsheet. Run a few qualifying laps, and GUesstimate the time it takes for a pitstops. Figuring my average time for 5 laps of qualifying. Mulptilying it by the # of laps, and adding in the time accumulated in pits, gives me a fairly close approximation of the final outcome.

I then do the same for the Leading competition. compare the two and see what the outcome is.

I don't have a hard and fast spreadsheet that I use everytime.

To add a further note to this race, I was recently given new insight to tweaking the suspension of a car, about Camber angles, and Final Drive gear ratios. So this may have helped me and given me a better chance with the Stage 1 turbo.

Hope this helps.

AO

Nice job Der Alta!

I'm impressed that you took the time to try and set this race up as a balanced proposition i.e match your car to the opposition so it wasn't just a quest to see how many laps you could win by in a max tuned weapon.

I was also very interested in your note that changing your gear shift strategy worked wonders on tyre life. That's something that I don't think has ever been investigated in any depth before - Research Project anyone :).

Having been playing GT3 since Christmas using the Big Girls Blouse (that means "wimpy" for the non-Brits here) approach of Auto Gear Change, I think I'm too ingrained in a given style to switch to manual gears now. A shame really as it sounds like Der Alta has found that there can be a real advantage to Manual changes in races where tyre wear is present.

By the way, Alta, where did you find info on Camber? If what you've discovered is a way to pre-calculate what camber should be for a given suspension set-up I'd be quite eager to find out what you've learned! Right now the method I have to use is to tweak the suspension to get the handling I want (with camber at default) and then experiment (at great length :D) with different camber combinations to see if there are any significant influences on understeer/oversteer balance.

Back