Lancer or Impreza?

• Thread starter Chicane
  • 19 comments
My latest addiction on GT4P: Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi (GD Type II) 2003 VS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR 2003.
I was just wondering what the general preference was. Mine is the Lancer! I can't, for the life of me, beat the Lancer's laptimes in the Scooby... on any circuit!

In general the Evo VIII GSR is faster than the standard Impreza STI.

As usual it's an ongoing battle between Mitsubishi and Subaru, whose answer to the faster Evo is the spec-C Impreza, though Mitsubishi is fighting back with the Evo VIII MR. Recently Subaru made some minor changes to the Impreza range...the battle rages on.

PS. Its good to see a fellow South African here :)

I always have prefered the Lancer, they have equal power but the lancer has more torque and understeers less. Now all they need is a good driver for the WRC.

I still think the EVO 4/5/6 is the pinnacle of Lancers, the 7 went the wrong way, but they're getting back with the 8.

I dont know if i am right or wrong, or they fix the problem for the latest GT4P, i am playing HK version, i found out that in most case Lancer E7 is faster than E8 MR, yes E7 has 5 gear vs 6 in the MR but that's the pt i want to make. This game is very funny, some car shifts fast and some car is slow, this is a good example, E7 shifts a little faster than MR, so E7 is fast, since it only has 5 gear so it doesn't have to shift all the time, compare to MR, it has to shifts all the time and shifts very slow, same problem in Impreza WRX STi GDB. That WRX shifts extremely slow. Actually it's like some cars in this game, PD installed racing clutch, some cars just using stock clutch. Hope you guys know what i mean.

I like the WRX better, I reckon it handles way better, but I reckon the Lancer would probaly be easier to handle with a steering wheel.

yes, WRX 'should' be better, but as i said some how GDB in this game seems not fast at all, but GC8 is more like the real one.

Well I just saw an episode of Top Gear this past week in which they drove both the latest Impreza (can't remember the exact model off-hand) and the latest Lancer EvoVIII MR something-or-other around the Top Gear track. The new WRX was a full second slower than the OLD EvoVII! Even Jeremy Clarkson himself couldn't believe it. Oh and the EvoVIII MR went a second quicker than the EvoVII if I remember correctly...

yes EvoVIII MR is the ultimate Lancer Evo (for now) and that's the car that car compete with Impreza WRX STi Spec C
Actually somehow i like both of those cars, Lancer is more advance, it has more electronic device but Impreza is more mechanically well tuned

Ronnn, that's almost axactly what i think, I can't decide if i ilke the Evo or Impreza more, for me the Impreza looks and sounds a bit more refined, the interior is just a hint better then that of the Evo.

Overall i think both cars are great!!! Just can't decide.........What is the Evo8 MR? I never got to it (I'm stuck at the 10 lap race at Fuji, because i can't keep on the track.....) No, my driving ain't so bad, just that my concentration slips for a moment.....boom :(

ofcoz, the impreza sounds more refine, since it uses boxer engine...it has that special tone..
Evo 8 MR is just an upgrade version of Evo 8, i am not too sure, but it has lighter roof and carbon wing

for the 10 laps race, concentration is very important. i like to play that 'lesson'. i remember there was a time i lost concentration on the last lap. i spin out on the first corner (i was in 1st position at that moment)

Id take the Subaru Impreza WRX STI any day. Not the sedan version. They are both sick cars but I really like the STI. Just something about it. Especially the Rally Version!!

Many people here had complaints about the MR understeering. It's just a better ballanced machine wich takes a little more effort to get sideways should you wish. But that's just my opinion :)

I like the lancer because,

1) looks better IMO
2) faster
3) I see alot of Impreza's about and not many Lancer's

Hiroke
Many people here had complaints about the MR understeering. It's just a better ballanced machine wich takes a little more effort to get sideways should you wish. But that's just my opinion :)
Good point. What I've noticed though was that the Lancer's cornering speed is actually higher than the Impreza's, so the understeer is almost just an illusion. I think that the active yaw control is the culprit...

I prefer Lancers.. :dopey:

The Evo 8 MR is a special version. A bit lighter, and the suspension has changed.

They are only building 100 of them. There was a test in the latest Top Gear Magazine.

BTW, MR stands for Mitsubishi Racing.

Chicane
Good point. What I've noticed though was that the Lancer's cornering speed is actually higher than the Impreza's, so the understeer is almost just an illusion. I think that the active yaw control is the culprit...

That is very true. I once compared the Evo to the Impreza, and found the Evo to be a bit "scrappy" at the limmit, until I saw im going a good deal faster than the Impreza. It's especially noticable at the final corner of FISCO.

Deciding which is best between the Evo VIII and the GDB Impreza STi is easy, I'd choose the Evo anyday. Both are great, but the Evo is quicker and does a better job of bends. A lap of Tsukuba prooves this. I can get Tsukuba times of around 1.07 in the Evo VIII GSR while the GDB is more like 1.09.

The old GC8 Impreza is a different story. It's not quite as fast as the Evo VIII, but it's cornering is just about as good, plus you have that awesome engine note (which is toned down a bit in the GDB). I can do Tsukuba in around 1.08 in the GC8.

(Times are on Tsukuba with no opponent cars and using road tyres and manual transmission with no driving aids or traction control. Controller used: Driving Force Pro,)

Back