Latest GT Sport Off-Screen Video Shows Horse Thief Mile & Improved Sounds

There are the usual volume disparities evident. The Subarus are much louder than the VWs and the Alfas, but that Hyundai puts up a good fight...

The Subarus, incidentally, sound a lot like the Viziv concept from GT6. Which used AES. The AES cars in GT6 were always much louder. One thing that I'm still really impressed by is the way each of the V6 Red Bull cars sounds slightly different (best enjoyed at low rpm to avoid the overblown rasp), and these differences were confirmed through snooping at the game files. Small tweaks are easy to make and iterate on, probably with the game running.

The Hyundai is a conundrum, though - sounds new to me, but also with pitching artefacts (suggesting samples). Are all the "new" and / or "shippable" sounds the loud ones?

Still a perplexingly weird mix of technologies.

Subaru sounds much improved, GT-R is a bit better than the one in GT6 but not great. The collision impact noises are awful though.

They're constantly getting better with sounds. Still not amazing, but it's genuine progress and bodes well.

You must be deaf, then. Listen to the part starting at 2:03 and tell me that Subie doesn't sound absolutely brutal.

Let's not forget the Red Bull X cars' sounds!

Sure, it's certainly no vacuum cleaner but can you honestly say that sounds like a real car/engine? It just sounds so synthetic to me, really unnatural.

But it must also be remembered this is still very much a work in progress, so obviously things are yet to be completed (and for god-sake hopefully that's "soon" :lol:)

VBR
The first car he drives sounds better, but it's hard to tell with all the background noise & him yapping, that & the fact it's not direct capture. The second car he drives still has that awful Gran Turismo grating sound, & while it's slightly more raspy, it still sounds sterile & awful to me. Not sold at all on this game as of yet. If the sounds are improving, which still remains to be heard, the improvements are minor & not enough to convincve me to buy it.
Not to mention the typical Gran Turismo 'bonk' with collisions.

It feels like they made the crash sounds by dropping a metal plate into the ground and calling it a day. (which I bet is exactly what they're doing). Are they that incompetent that they can't even record some convincing crash sounds ffs?

No. If the car is supposed to sound like a race car, then it doesn't at all: . The engine note is completely different, and of course the other elements like upshift/downshift transition and other things are non existent on GT Sport.
If it is supposed to be completely stock, then I will give you that the engine note is not so bad, but the delay between upshifts and downshifts is 0, which of course makes no sense but indicates that it is supposed to be a race car, and it doesn't sound like one.
All things in perspective mate. If you're used to vacuum cleaners being used for sampling engine sounds and it wasn't that big of a deal, anything raspy and loud is going to evoke an, "ermagod!!! that sounds so brutal and realistic #enginesoundsinGTSareawesome!! #mikecavazielforpresident", in some GT fans:lol:. The Lotus 98 and Ralt F3 car in GT6 sounded to me like they were made by that guy that makes engine sounds with a beer can but others liked them so go figure.

I'm digging the Horse Thief Mile as a track, really enjoyed it in PCars. The elevation changes, tight hairpins, undulating surface and unconventional layout proved a great challenge, especially in street cars. I didn't think it was much of a race track for full sized vehicles because it's very narrow and getting a wheel off is or should be a disaster. It's an odd choice of tracks when your overall selection is so tiny.

Last edited:
The biggest thing to note about that Subaru clip - Subaru race cars don't sound like that. The sound sample is very obviously a clip from an unequal length header design, which is used on the road car. The last car I can think of to have had unequal length headers in motorsport would be the GC8.

Well, lets see. No damage model. The sounds are louder. Which is an old trick as in some circles louder equals better.
But there is no detail. No subtleties that differentiate one engine from another. The crash/paint swap sounds are funny.
There are no rattles or squawks coming from the suspension and body joints. Not very realistic.

The graphics are stunning. The desert background is really nice. I will give them a pass because they are still working.
I hope they are working hard.

SVX
The biggest thing to note about that Subaru clip - Subaru race cars don't sound like that. The sound sample is very obviously a clip from an unequal length header design, which is used on the road car. The last car I can think of to have had unequal length headers in motorsport would be the GC8.

Might I remind you that all Gr. 4 cars share almost all of the bodywork and interior as the cars they are based on. They could very well be using the same engine from the road car.

I saw at least two cars with their rear lights too bright. Mistake?

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, the seemingly over-bright taillights are a result of the player's camera trying to make sense of an HDR screen. The game is running on the Pro, after all. Pointing my phone at my TV or computer screen, and then at a light in the room, does a similar thing.

The visuals are Great... The sound is still a bit bad... The tracks are Always the same but better looking (Brands, Willows and so on), the new HUD is cool...

By now it's good looking but still not good enough to justify me to buy a PS4 and a new wheel...

Can't tell when there's so much background noise and some kind of distortion. I'm still confident that sound in GT Sport will be better than GT6.

It feels like they made the crash sounds by dropping a metal plate into the ground and calling it a day. (which I bet is exactly what they're doing). Are they that incompetent that they can't even record some convincing crash sounds ffs?

Hey not far off man.

There was an old blog post of the GT sound guys smashing an old car up with hammers and whatnot... let me try and find it

Hey not far off man.

There was an old blog post of the GT sound guys smashing an old car up with hammers and whatnot... let me try and find it
People complaint the crash sound but have no clue how it sound in real life, only based on movies
The sound it s accurate for me, got some bump low speed in real life, and it s the same sound
The blog that you talked is from Turn 10 👍

People complaint the crash sound but have no clue how it sound in real life, only based on movies
The sound it s accurate for me, got some bump low speed in real life, and it s the same sound

You're right about the movie thing.

And nah, it was Japanese, and it was the guy from Polyphony. They had images of them smashing up an old car with sledgehammers...

Can't find the damn thing though! Anyone else seen this?

You're right about the movie thing.

And nah, it was Japanese, and it was the guy from Polyphony. They had images of them smashing up an old car with sledgehammers...

Can't find the damn thing though! Anyone else seen this?
I'm not sure if i saw it
But i remembered videos from Turn 10

I'm not sure if i saw it
But i remembered videos from Turn 10

Ah, here we go:

20160926-asobi-14.jpg

From here: https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/3735/20160926-asobi.html (Japanese, sorry!)

Oh god yes! Finally a great sounding subaru flat-4...I can't wait to try gts
I actually thought the Rex sounded a lot better myself. I owned an 02 with a "raspy" aftermarket exhaust and it sounds close in my opinion. 👍
In all honesty, I'm only just back to this site after a lengthy stay of absence, as I hadn't seen much to get hyped at at all, but this clip doesn't look too bad. Admittedly, being on a Pro may make it look good too, so does the prospect of running it on a lesser, regular PS4 going to make it look too down graded?

I've had my PS4 since MGS5 was released and am not about to upgrade any time soon.
In all, I'm still fence sitting, it looks pretty good, but will need to be spectacular before I buy.

As a side, I've even turned on the old PS3 this passed week to play GT6. :eek: Been fun but the rotten connection keeps dropping out, which is probably a fault my end, not the Sony servers....??
I could be totally wrong there too. :lol:

The most noticeable things are the beautifull legs of the girl we can see on the right and the absolute dumbness of the driving... the rest worth nothing or near nothing: as always pointless A.I. and really awfull sound, most of because the six cylinder engine... I think they are near to the release point, but, still, we can't know nothing about that (unless i missed the new).

Graphics are getting closer to DRIVECLUB levels, but not there yet!

Sound is better but AI seems stagnant and still no damage. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have damage in GTS at all. You'd think Kaz would've mentioned it by now since it's one of the most sought after things.

I think we just have to accept GT is about the cars - not wrecking them! :lol:
I actually prefer GT\ AC graphics over Driveclub graphics for mor serious racers.

All things in perspective mate. If you're used to vacuum cleaners being used for sampling engine sounds and it wasn't that big of a deal, anything raspy and loud is going to evoke an, "ermagod!!! that sounds so brutal and realistic #enginesoundsinGTSareawesome!! #mikecavazielforpresident", in some GT fans:lol:. The Lotus 98 and Ralt F3 car in GT6 sounded to me like they were made by that guy that makes engine sounds with a beer can but others liked them so go figure.

I'm digging the Horse Thief Mile as a track, really enjoyed it in PCars. The elevation changes, tight hairpins, undulating surface and unconventional layout proved a great challenge, especially in street cars. I didn't think it was much of a race track for full sized vehicles because it's very narrow and getting a wheel off is or should be a disaster. It's an odd choice of tracks when your overall selection is so tiny.
Yes, baffles me when people say the Lotus 98 sounded great when it didn't sound like the real thing.

Can't tell when there's so much background noise and some kind of distortion. I'm still confident that sound in GT Sport will be better than GT6.
I'm confident my next poop will not smell as bad as the poop i took today. Basically it is not hard to sound better than GT6. PDI should be hitting the ball out of the park after their last two turds and not simple just a little better. This is enough for me to believe GT is as we knew it is never coming back.
I agree, too many people here watch movies. Thankfully though you're the only person who has been in or witnessed a crash or bump. I'm gonna invent racing and televise it so people can hear what it sounds like when there's a crash.

I actually prefer GT\ AC graphics over Driveclub graphics for mor serious racers.

Yes, baffles me when people say the Lotus 98 sounded great when it didn't sound like the real thing.

I'm confident my next poop will not smell as bad as the poop i took today. Basically it is not hard to sound better than GT6. PDI should be hitting the ball out of the park after their last two turds and not simple just a little better. This is enough for me to believe GT is as we knew it is never coming back.
I agree, too many people here watch movies. Thankfully though you're the only person who has been in or witnessed a crash or bump. I'm gonna invent racing and televise it so people can hear what it sounds like when there's a crash.

Thank god they didn't try to hit a turd out of the park :)

In a racing game, I want the graphics to be as realistic as they can be. This really helps the immersion.

Seeing as DRIVECLUB has better lightning and textures than GT or AC or P CARS, I much prefer it. :)
The hardware is limited though. It simply may not be possible to have large fields of AI, complicated physics and extremely detailed, very high poly car models + DC level of graphics. Tradeoffs must be made and, in any game calling itself a sim, some of those tradeoffs must be made towards larger car fields and more complicated physics.

Thank god they didn't try to hit a turd out of the park :)

I'm not sure if they should hit it, but last I checked, most parks had rules about at least dealing with them! ;)

The hardware is limited though.

Shhhh, don't give PD any ideas. We haven't heard about how the PS4 Pro just isn't powerful enough, yet.

When I watched the video, I knew that the Gr. 4 Subaru WRX STI sounds better than a fully tuned Impreza from NFS Carbon. What I really want to see though in future builds are the fact that they need to fix the shifting sounds and then GT can finally get rid of its bad reputation of vacuum cleaner sounds and bring in what would be the best car sounds ever in a racing game.

Latest Posts

Back