Learning to drive with the DFP

• Thread starter ConceptS14
  • 24 comments
I recently got a DFP and I just have to say that GT4 is a completely different game now. The game has gotten a bit harder for me. For the first time in GT4, I had gotten lapped due to taking corners slower than I am able to and a lot of it having to do with spinning out. After I got lapped in a second race, I decided that I cannot progress with the game until I get used to the DFP.

Now I spend 90% of my GT4 time on the Nur with my trusty 270R on N1 tires.
I do my best to keep the car on the road, which was the biggest challenge when I first got started.

I'd like to get a little help from fellow DFP users and would like to know what kind of lap times you guys can come up with. As my driving progresses, I may ask you guys to post lap times with different cars so that I can compare my times and get a feel for how I'm doing.

Cars will be driven stock with designated tires. Feel free to tinker with any adjustable components the car comes with.
Stay on the track as best you can. We'll be using the honor system here.
Personally, I do not keep lap times if I run off the road, so all times I post will be of clean laps.

Car: Nismo 270R
Tires: N1
Time: 9"26.275

I'm most interested in times achieved with a DFP.
You're still welcome to post your times with the DS2, but please specify.

Oh, and I realize this may be in the wrong section, but I didn't know if i should've put this in the DFP section or the Race Reports section. Some how both seemed like the wrong choice. Mods: please move to the appropriate section if you feel it is needed.

Yeah, there's a world of difference between the old DS2 and the DFP. It's definitely a change for the better, though. That's not a terrible time with the 270R, but why are you using N1's? Not that there's anything wrong with them, but for getting used to the DFP, I'd recommend N2's, at least. They're a *little* more forgiving than the Economys.

-WatersEdge

WatersEdge
Yeah, there's a world of difference between the old DS2 and the DFP. It's definitely a change for the better, though. That's not a terrible time with the 270R, but why are you using N1's? Not that there's anything wrong with them, but for getting used to the DFP, I'd recommend N2's, at least. They're a *little* more forgiving than the Economys.

-WatersEdge

'Forgiving' is not what I want. The N1's force me to be much more sensitive with my inputs. Also, it doesn't seem like the 270R is too much power for the N1's either. Basically, I want keep the car at the limit of the tires for as long as possible and the N1's allow me to do that. I won't be driving on N1's forever, I just want myself to get used to staying at the limit of the tire's grip.

I went through a rude shock similar to your after playing on DS2 for a long time and then getting a wheel about a month ago.

The difference is that alot more fine input is required. Initially I was trying to use my old playing style (full throttle or accelerator, very hard turning at the apex of turns after braking hard into them). It just doesn't work.

The thing which taught me fine control and adjustment was driving the Yellowbird (but any RR RUF would do) around the ring (stock, on N3s with ASM off and TCS down to 2). It frustrated me very badly to start with (alot of time going backward), but after a few hours I was rockin' it. Lots of fine throttle/brake/wheel work required. Very satisfying, and a real learning experience.

After I stopped driving it, and went back to other cars, I found that my whole driving style had changed in a way most beneficial for using the wheel (control rather than hammering on everything,... more like the way that I drive an actual car).

Seriously. I cannot recommend this enough as a way of adapting to the wheel. Once you can pull a clean Nurburgring lap in the yellowbird, you can control any car once you know it's foibles.

Also, as a side note, turn off steering assist in the options menu. Turn force feedback to Hard. Also, disble ASM on your cars (it only makes for more spinning out), and minimise TCS (for the same reason). TCS setting of 2-3 works nicely for most things.

I tried to learn to drift with the DFP and when I became good enough to keep my slides without spinning, I had aqcuired(sp) some good control over my dfp. I raced after that and killed my old ds2 times. maybe you should try it.

i'll tel you something that worked for me. when i first switched to the DFP i had the same problem. trying to drive it like it was a DS2. I never used manual transmission before because with the controller i just couldnt do it. but just for the heck of it after a few failed attempts, i switched it over to manual with the dfp. worked like a charm. I dont know why. maby it just put me more in the mind of driving a real car but instantly there was a marked improvment, and after just a handful of laps i went from not being able to keep it on the track using the auto tranny, to beating my previous best DS2 time. "for that particular car and track" Took me all of about five laps to get it down and that was with a 500 hp car. if your not already using manual, give it a try.

yup, already using manual. i cannot imagine driving anything else, I drive one in RL.

thanks to everyone that's supplied some advice above. but at this points it is not about what I can do to get used to the DFP. So far I've become pretty decent at it and I really wanted to compare lap times with others that have been using the DFP longer. especially those that have been using the DFP for a long time. The only people I have been able to compare myself to are a few of my friends when they come over and use the wheel. However, they cannot keep up with me just because I get more time with the wheel. They're always cutting through corners just to try and keep up with my ghost. Now, I want to know if I can keep up with other DSP users, or how much further I need to go.

I will start saying that what I really like in GT4 is playing free runs with stock cars (only adjustment is to turn the driving aids off) on N1 tyres (only ones that give a realistic amount of grip). All my times are clean laps (I use curbs and cobblestone strips and allow just 1 tyre to touch the grass).

So bearing the above in mind I just did 5 laps at the Nurb with the Nismo 270 R (first time ever that I drove this car) and my best lap was 8.43.908.

ConceptS14 if you want times for other cars just let me know.

PS. I only play GT4 with the DFP (bought them the same day).

Edit: Forgot to mention that I only play with manual transmission (stick or paddles depending on the real car).

londor, thanks for posting your time. I knew my time wasn't fast, but damn I didn't think it was that slow. I guess I have many more laps on the Nur to look forward to.

I just did a few laps and did an 8:36.495 on n1s with the DFP. All I do in GT4 is drive the road cars at the 'Ring on n tyres. :)

I think it's great that you're starting with n1 tyres, great way to improve car control! Then as you move onto the n2 or n3 tyres and with quicker cars, you'll have the control to be able to adapt to the higher speeds and quicker reactions required.

michaeldenham
I just did a few laps and did an 8:36.495 on n1s with the DFP. All I do in GT4 is drive the road cars at the 'Ring on n tyres. :)

I think it's great that you're starting with n1 tyres, great way to improve car control! Then as you move onto the n2 or n3 tyres and with quicker cars, you'll have the control to be able to adapt to the higher speeds and quicker reactions required.

Thanks for your time.
And that's exactly what I was thinkingg when i decided to use N1 tires.

i just got a dfp yesterday (wooooo)

i've been using the RUF yellowbird to learn how to drive again, as well as regolding all of the liscences

the bird is a good car since it kicks your ass if you make a mistake, exibits lots of under and oversteer, basically its your worst nightmare on four wheels :sly:

using road tires with this one, quite a handful 👍

I also got a DFP the other day. Havent tried it out yet because my grandparents are taking up all the room with the fold out bed.

But i still have thoughts on your situation. My plan is to start with LOW HP cars. that way you dont have overpowering motors to worry about so you can go slow enough to concentrate on car control.

I've tried this method with the DS2 and it isnt that bad of a tactic. I started to learn with a Mini cooper, not to slow, but still easily manuverable. It had good handling but did not overpower in the corners.

after you can get the small cars workin the way you want you can move up in the HP and size untill you feel comfortable and can drive very well.

Give it a shot and good luck!:cool: 👍

BLITZ

Well one reason that makes it hard is the fact that your on N1 tires in a car that can easily do burnouts if your not careful (granted you have the aids off) on a narrow course, not a good combo when starting out :scared:

You might want to try various tire mixes (Sports, Racing, S3's front S2's back, you choose) and a different course, like Tsukuba

It took me about a week or so to adjust, so expect improvements in at least 2 weeks

I bought a DFP yesterday as well. GT4 is so much more involving now. the DFP made rally races fun. Before, i coudlnt win a rally race with a DS2 if my life depended on it.

I tried to drift with the DFP as well..and im no good at it. Okay, so im not that great with the DS2 either, but at least i can manage to not spin out. I think my problem with the DFP is that i cant coutnersteer and straighten the wheel out quick enough. I still suck.

I still suck.

dont worry about it, concentrate on driving first and then learn how to drift. Remember the DFP can be beter for drifting if you know how to use good throttle control.:sly:

Also the DFP is better if you dont have it on 100% Force Feedback. The added pressure will fight you and turn your car by itself to countersteer the wrong way if your not carfull:ouch: . With less force feedback you can turn the car more the way you want without fighting the wheel itself.:dopey:

I also bought a DFP now and I can see the feeling is a bit two-sided.
On the one side it feels good to be controlling a wheel to 900 degrees instead of 2cm of controller width.
On the other side, drifting like I used to drift with high power driftcars like the D1GP RX-7, linking, kicking tail out on corner exits, with full throttle, I can't seem to do that anymore. :( I hope that will improve over time.

Yesterday I wasn't very hopeful about matching my DS2 drifting skills with the DFP, but after a quick run today it already feels much better. My steering is more controlled, less mid corner spins and snap-backs, and already some linking again. :)

Latest Posts

Back