Left Wing or Right Wing? Take Pop Quiz in OP!

Canada
Canada
photonrider
This is not really factual - there are many variables that would define your political leanings, whether to the Left, or to the Right. However, if you can get through the six pages of questions, it may be fun to know which side you seem to be leaning towards.
Don't be shy about posting your results - it's more of an 'opinion' game, rather than a mark on your record.

Go here - and follow the appropriate links to take the test:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Here's my Result:

And just for fun - here are the results of some other people - a little more famous than I am:

Now compare yours.

Last edited:
pcgraphpng.php

4vE2ngH.png

I expected to be a lot more libertanian than that, to be honest. :dopey: What was up with all the art questions though? I didn't know those were significant issues in society :dunce:

Last edited:
pcgraphpng.php

I think though, some of my views on specific things are much closer to the edges, they just average out :D

I'd be interested to find the thread this came up in before, to see if my graph has changed at all given events in my life since!

I'd be interested to find the thread this came up in before, to see if my graph has changed at all given events in my life since!

According to my previous one, in the past 18 months I've become more left wing and less libertarian.

As I've said before on this:

I'm somewhat bemused by the fact that my results don't really reflect my real opinions. That's because I strongly disagreed with just about every question with "always" or "never" in it. If it had said "usually" or "seldom" instead of "always" or "never", I would have agreed or strongly agreed on some of them. For instance, one of the questions is "First-generation immigrants can never be fully integrated within their new country." While I largely agree, I doubt it's true of 100% of all immigrants; particularly for an immigrant who is an infant or in early childhood when they arrived in their new country. By the way that's just an example folks, I'm not trying to start a discussion of the merits/demerits of the statement itself.

although there does seem to be fewer of the always/never questions than there were last time I did this.

If you select "agree" for every question, you'll get a score of
Economic Left/Right: 0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.41

unless they vary the questions, of course.

^ This

There are some statements that I broadly agree/disagree with, but since the questions point to the extreme in either case I voted the opposite to what I would have thought.

One of the most poorly worded questionnaires I've ever seen but I completed it anyway.

7l8q.png

One of the most poorly worded questionnaires I've ever seen but I completed it anyway.

I agree. Some of the questions can be read wrong, some are ambiguous in their enquiry, and some don't seem to make any sense at all - which, of course, is why I made several disclaimers in the OP not to take it too literally.
It's just a fun exercise - but it does make us think about the choices we face. And how we handle them. Which makes us come off the way we do.

Thanks to all participating. Some of the results, when placed beside their UserID's, bring a smile to my face.

I myself was called an 'Authoritarian _______ (insert derogatory term for female genitals)' at another Forum, recently - which not only elicited howls of laughter, but totally baffled me - I thought I come off as a bit of a rebel.

Then I do this test for fun, and am further bemused.

I hated the way some questions had negatives in them, that just makes me confused when I'm supposed to decide whether to agree or disagree.

Absolutely. I noted that right away. Maybe they are trying to trick our intellect - so that wrong answers based on lack of intelligence would actually make you Right.
Or Left.

:crazy:

Pretty much the same as last time.

But the quiz itself doesn't offer the chance to explain why one may agree or disagree. For some of the questions on law and authority, that is vital.

pcgraphpng.php

Liquid - we could be political twins. :lol:
Though you seem to be leaning fractionally to the Right, besides me.

Well, being in the company of the Dalai Lama, and Nelson Mandela isn't bad, right.

Hold on. They were both persecuted. Damn.

:scared: BBL. Maybe.

Am I the only one who perceives the Up/Down as political (obviously, with the authoritarian and libertarian tags) but the Left/Right as a more social attitude?

It shows that while I have classical liberalism politics, I am a bit of a philosophical damp towel socially.

I've done this test and ended up in the bottom right quadrant before, but I don't really like the wording of a lot of the questions. The one about Globalisation in particular, "should it benefit humanity or multi national corporations". There's a very wide middle ground in between fair trade coffee/sustainable drum circles and thinking Apple and Nike should make all the profit ever, but the question is worded in a way that it leads to one of two extremes.

I've done this test and ended up in the bottom right quadrant before, but I don't really like the wording of a lot of the questions. The one about Globalisation in particular, "should it benefit humanity or multi national corporations". There's a very wide middle ground in between fair trade coffee/sustainable drum circles and thinking Apple and Nike should make all the profit ever, but the question is worded in a way that it leads to one of two extremes.

The entire thing is worded to extremes, but the way around it is by not picking the extreme answer. I only used the Strongly Dis/Agree answer like 5 times in that.
My reasoning is that you can dis/agree with an extreme viewpoint without dis/agreeing with all of that viewpoint, if that makes sense? Using your example, I don't think that economic globalization has any inherent responsibility to benefit humanity, but I also don't think that it would be 'good' if it only benefited companies (although through the trickle-down effect, it benefiting companies would benefit humanity too, but that's a different discussion) so I answered "Agree" because on the agree-disagree spectrum, I lean a little more towards agree than disagree.
I know that's a roundabout explanation, but that was my thought process as I was going through.

I was expecting to be a little more to the right than that but that's pretty much what I thought I'd be.

pcgraphpng.php

What a bunch of stupid, absolutist questions that require one to make value judgments that don't really apply.

There ought to be a "neutral" choice in there, somewhere.

pcgraphpng.php

Not surprised on the Libertarian score. The economic left/right score would have been more to the center or even to the right if the questions didn't make the choice for private venture capitalism sound more unsavory than it already is. :lol:

That's the problem with "loaded" questions. It steers people in ways they would not naturally go.

That is generally the idea to these types of tests, despite how awkward it makes answering at times. However, some of these aren't entirely clear in their implications, which makes it a bit too tricky at times.

Anyhow, for those of you wondering where it placed me...

KI0Von5.png

Economic Left/Right: 2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

What a bunch of stupid, absolutist questions that require one to make value judgments that don't really apply.

There ought to be a "neutral" choice in there, somewhere.

That is what I was thinking, it is pretty dumb to make multiple choice questions, with only two postures, a "yes" and a "no", Where's the "I'm neutral on that topic" or "I don't know"?

And I'm telling that because I randomly answered some questions because there was no such option

Back