Legalization of Marijuana

• Thread starter Event
  • 1,437 comments
Me in 2016
I can see a scenario where the feds end the ban on marijuana all together.

Conservatives hate lawlessness. And conservatives believe strongly in state's rights.

I can't see how they will be able to overlook all of the states that break the law. But what are they going to do? Not much, I think.

I think the cat is out of the bag on this issue.

I don't think the conservatives will be able to live with a growing number of scofflaw states. Something will have to give.
I may have been right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...rty-endorses-marijuana-decriminalization/amp/
Texas GOP voted to approve platform planks to endorse marijuana decriminalization, medical Cannabis, and industrial kemp.

Do you have a different link? That one wants to spam a lot of sellable data in order to show the article.

Capture.JPG

Do you have a different link? That one wants to spam a lot of sellable data in order to show the article.

When I alter the basic cookie settings I can't even get past the notification..

forbes-logo-dark-239x60.png

Thank you for sharing your preferences with us. We are in the process of preparing the site to accommodate your privacy preferences and appreciate your patience as we do so during this temporary period. Please check back soon. In the meantime, if you would like to change your preferences, click below.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...rty-endorses-marijuana-decriminalization/amp/
Texas GOP voted to approve platform planks to endorse marijuana decriminalization, medical Cannabis, and industrial kemp.
Provided by "kemp" you mean "hemp", this is fantastic and wonderful news! Industrial hemp, generally prohibited in the USA, has always fascinated me as to its many possible uses, economic and cultural benefits. The Texas Republican Party endorsing this makes me think they've been taken over by Libertarians. Whoopee!

From what I have read some members of the Texas Republicans want to lessen the punishment for recreational/personal marijuana, not outright legalise or decriminalise it. However they do want to endorse medical marijuana and make it more accessible to those with certain medical conditions who need it and look into industrial marijuana which doesn't have the psychoactive ingredient in it.

Fort Worth Star
Dallas Observer

It would be a good start if any of this comes to pass.

Yay.

Never tried it personally (well maybe passively) and never saw a negative effect on any of the people I know and saw smoking it.

Yay.

Never tried it personally (well maybe passively) and never saw a negative effect on any of the people I know and saw smoking it.
A friend of mine drove into a tree while high in high school and died. Pretty much turned me off drugs for life. Personal use aside I hate the smell. Besides the increased risk of sharing the road with even more impaired idiots and having to interact with more impaired idiots at work, one of my other concerns is having to smell it all over the city. I can already smell it now on a fairly regular basis, I can't imagine what it's going to be like after it's legalized.

A friend of mine drove into a tree while high in high school and died. Pretty much turned me off drugs for life. Personal use aside I hate the smell. Besides the increased risk of sharing the road with even more impaired idiots and having to interact with more impaired idiots at work, one of my other concerns is having to smell it all over the city. I can already smell it now on a fairly regular basis, I can't imagine what it's going to be like after it's legalized.

Sorry to be as blunt but that's not really the fault of weed. You shoudn't drive under influence so it kind of seems like a reason to be against DUI then against weed.

I do have to say I'm sorry for your loss and whish it didn't happen. And I sincerely mean this I'm sorry for your loss, we all miss the people who we loved.

My anecdotal evidence for weed being bad, is that my mates who smoke it often, are mostly 🤬.
It didn't turn me off drugs in anyway, in fact I'm not sure you can have much of a meaningful opinion on them if you've not popped your cherry... hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's already illegal to drive while impaired. Legalizing any drug won't change that and people who already drive while under the influence of weed will continue to do so.

I can't stand weed, nor people who live the "weed culture" life. But, I think they have the right to do it if they want to.

Smells better than cigarettes and cigars that we all are still forced to have to smell around a city. Not to mention smells coming from dumpsters, alleys, sewers... in the grand scheme its not going to be the worst smelling thing you will find in your day. Or, well, that is subjective i suppose, maybe you prefer the smell of trash and sewer. So I guess I shouldnt assume.
There is a fallacy with your first issue as well. The assumption that all of a sudden your going to find pot heads everywhere, and they are all going to be impaired idiots. Sounds like a personal bias caused by a traumatic experience, that being your friend dying. I dont know any of that story, so I'll take it at face value that they were actively high, and not just testing positive (remember, marijuana can still show up in a test a month after last ingesting) but, it was illegal then... and they still got high, and still drove. Legalizing, taking the worst skew of statistics, you are talking about a 3% uptick in driving under the influence. At best, no noticable change in high drivers. All depends on who you source. But regardless, you are talking about a poor personal choices, and unlike alcohol, marijuana doesnt effect your behaviour in a manner that you will make bad decisions that you wouldnt makenif you were sober. If you are against driving and smoking, your not going to beat up your best friend, take the keys and go drive into a bus.

My anecdotal evidence for weed being bad, is that my mates who smoke it often, are mostly dickheads.
It didn't turn me off drugs in anyway, in fact I'm not sure you can have much of a meaningful opinion on them if you've not popped your cherry... hope this helps.
They were likely dickheads before the fact, if anything :lol:.

I can't stand weed, nor people who live the "weed culture" life. But, I think they have the right to do it if they want to.
I smoke often and I don't even like the "weed culture" life. Can't stand the videos of people just listening to some crappy music with just them smoking a joint, posted every single day. However, I'm still a pretty open smoker, so would that lump me into the Weed Culture life?

The assumption that all of a sudden your going to find pot heads everywhere, and they are all going to be impaired idiots.
To be honest, here in Los Angeles at least, it really doesn't seem any different before or after the fact. The same people are still doing it, and the same people who weren't really interested from the get go still aren't. If you smell weed in the streets here, it was happening way before the law even came around anyways, not only that, but the law doesn't allow you to use it anywhere but home as there really isn't any public venues whatsoever, so it's not really changing anything in that regard.

Although, I'd likely be one of the ones complained about because I often go for walks at night and smoke a J. However, to add to my point, that has been happening long before any of this was even considered.

Smells better than cigarettes and cigars that we all are still forced to have to smell around a city. Not to mention smells coming from dumpsters, alleys, sewers... in the grand scheme its not going to be the worst smelling thing you will find in your day. Or, well, that is subjective i suppose, maybe you prefer the smell of trash and sewer. So I guess I shouldnt assume.
There is a fallacy with your first issue as well. The assumption that all of a sudden your going to find pot heads everywhere, and they are all going to be impaired idiots. Sounds like a personal bias caused by a traumatic experience, that being your friend dying. I dont know any of that story, so I'll take it at face value that they were actively high, and not just testing positive (remember, marijuana can still show up in a test a month after last ingesting) but, it was illegal then... and they still got high, and still drove. Legalizing, taking the worst skew of statistics, you are talking about a 3% uptick in driving under the influence. At best, no noticable change in high drivers. All depends on who you source. But regardless, you are talking about a poor personal choices, and unlike alcohol, marijuana doesnt effect your behaviour in a manner that you will make bad decisions that you wouldnt makenif you were sober. If you are against driving and smoking, your not going to beat up your best friend, take the keys and go drive into a bus.
If this is for me how do you go from "increased risk" to "all of a sudden you're going to find pot heads everywhere and they are all going to be impaired idiots". If you're going to bother to respond to me, please read what I actually said and don't leap to unfounded assumptions.

They were likely dickheads before the fact, if anything :lol:.

I smoke often and I don't even like the "weed culture" life. Can't stand the videos of people just listening to some crappy music with just them smoking a joint, posted every single day. However, I'm still a pretty open smoker, so would that lump me into the Weed Culture life?

To be honest, here in Los Angeles at least, it really doesn't seem any different before or after the fact. The same people are still doing it, and the same people who weren't really interested from the get go still aren't. If you smell weed in the streets here, it was happening way before the law even came around anyways, not only that, but the law doesn't allow you to use it anywhere but home as there really isn't any public venues whatsoever, so it's not really changing anything in that regard.

Although, I'd likely be one of the ones complained about because I often go for walks at night and smoke a J. However, to add to my point, that has been happening long before any of this was even considered.
When medicinal use was legalized here in MI, the only real changes were the addition of all sorts of dumb names and prices for good weed dropped. A lot.
Im like you. I smoke daily, partially for medicinal as I have long suffered from severe nausea (i weighed 135lbs at 5'11" before I started smoking, gained 30lbs and felt way, way better after I started) but I also smoke for recreation as well, daily. The closest i get to weed culture is the occasional cheech and chong movie, or Sublime song. In fact, I drink maybe once a month, and sing more songs and watch more movies about drinking than I do about weed use.

My father is a perfect example of how medicinal marijuana can truly benefit someone with nerve damage and constant muscle pain. I'd try to list off his ailments but there's too many but basically he's always in some kind of pain whether it's muscles or joints or nerves or a combination of the three.

He would always smoke the stuff and it helps but more recently he asked me to help him look into the medical side of things since it became legal in New York. Around here it's not plants to smoke but edibles to eat. Medical places can't do plants here (some other license or something in depth) and they don't work as well for him.

He spoke to a doctor and was able to get a prescription for pure cannibinoids in a drop form. It works! Basically scientists have taken the active ingredient in cannabis that does the medical stuff and isolated it. At this point it's like any other naturally growing plant that was taken and used for medicine. In this form it's no different to any other medicine and should help legitimize it.

It's not just the smell I object to - it's the fact that if you can smell it, you are also passively ingesting THC (although admittedly one is unlikely to inhale/absorb enough THC to become impaired). However, marijuana smoke is just as harmful as tobacco smoke and it also has its own (obvious) hazards that tobacco smoke does not have, and yet smokers tend to approach this issue as if it is your problem if you don't like it. Granted, you can always leave the affected area if you don't like it, but it is still annoying to have to do so just to avoid inhaling a mind-altering drug when you don't wish to, like the time when a group of stoners sat at the table next to me when I was halfway through dinner and started smoking massive joints... (OK, it was the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip and I probably should have known better before going there for dinner :ouch:), but the point was that I either had to accept it or move - and given that there was a half-hour wait for a table, it wasn't really an option for me and my friends to move, so we ended up finishing our dinner in a cloud of pot smoke - we left feeling hungrier than when we arrived :irked:. I would agree with the view that it probably hasn't got much worse at the Rainbow since legalisation in L.A. (since this was barely physically possible!) but I can imagine that the problem of trying to find a decent bar that doesn't allow marijuana smoking outside is now a fair bit harder than it was. I'm glad for the fact that it is not legal (at least in public) here, since the attitude of smokers here is the same i.e. 'if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else' - funny how they never consider the alternative, which is for them to piss off and smoke somewhere else.

I wouldn't think so. I'm more so talking about the people who think weed is life and do post things continuously about them smoking or wear clothes covered in leaves and whatnot. If someone is just open about smoking and try not to hide it, I don't really see a problem. I also can't stand the people who berate me for not wanting to smoke weed and go through all benefits they perceive of it.

As an example, my wife has a co-worker who keeps trying to get her to smoke weed and take edibles while she's pregnant because it cures morning sickness and is completely natural, unlike the prescription she takes that was prescribed by the OB. Thankfully, my wife is smart enough to know that's a bunch of BS.

Yea just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good. There's naturally occurring poison too ;)

Passively getting the munchies? :lol:

Though to be fair, Weed 'culture' is way better than vape 'culture'
Just remember if you ever get yourself down, people have vape competitions. All they're doing is literally blowing smoke :lol:

My father is a perfect example of how medicinal marijuana can truly benefit someone with nerve damage and constant muscle pain. I'd try to list off his ailments but there's too many but basically he's always in some kind of pain whether it's muscles or joints or nerves or a combination of the three.

He would always smoke the stuff and it helps but more recently he asked me to help him look into the medical side of things since it became legal in New York. Around here it's not plants to smoke but edibles to eat. Medical places can't do plants here (some other license or something in depth) and they don't work as well for him.

He spoke to a doctor and was able to get a prescription for pure cannibinoids in a drop form. It works! Basically scientists have taken the active ingredient in cannabis that does the medical stuff and isolated it. At this point it's like any other naturally growing plant that was taken and used for medicine. In this form it's no different to any other medicine and should help legitimize it.
My Dad was also a big fan of using it medicinally. He had a fair number of health issues and a lot of pain at times in his last few years and absolutely detested taking prescription drugs. Weed was a Godsend for him and really helped him manage the pain. Don't try it for an infected tooth though. Holy jumpin'!!

If it's the CBD oil you're talking about, wel in belgium it's not helping ****. Our health minister refuses to lrgal8se it saying not enough testing has been done while the neighbouring countries claim the opposite.

The biggest thing, and rightfully so, is the fear of opioid addiction. Of course he gets painkiller prescriptions but fears taking them and always needs more and more to get the same affect. He's very overweight so normal doses don't usually work for him. I'm fascinated by the fact that he can take something and it really does get rid of 90% of his pain. It doesn't mean he can get up and be active but it certainly makes the day to day monotony a bit easier.

Best thing for tooth pain is a whiskey soaked cotton ball, Jack Daniels Tennesse Honey to be exact hehe

If it's the CBD oil you're talking about, wel in belgium it's not helping ****. Our health minister refuses to lrgal8se it saying not enough testing has been done while the neighbouring countries claim the opposite.
They're too busy praising Max Verstappen :lol:

@Johnnypenso To touch up on what you said, I really feel that after the initial legalization, that that risk would likely die down, although I really don't think it'll be too significant of an increase in the first place, in my opinion. I'm sure theres a good bit of people who have their interest piqued now, but for the most part, it's not changing much for the vast majority of the people who were already dabbling with it, in the state. It's still very much illegal to use in any other place than your home.

I also feel the same about using it at the work place. You can still very much get fired for it, even if it is legal, just like Alcohol. Very similar repercussions are still in place, so anyone with a brain would likely change very little about their day to day life.

CBD is what it's called, and I know a few people that use it for pain relief. Since it has no THC it gives you no high, which is great for those who want to use marijuana for medicinal reasons, but don't like psychological effects of it. Bill Nye has a great episode on that, and Marijuana on his recent Netflix series. the US doesn't allow the study of it unless there's medicinal value to it, but because they cant study it, they wont be able to show that, which is kind of a way weird to go around it. I believe the Doctor that figured out how to extract THC and CBD from Marijuana is in Isreal.

It's not just the smell I object to - it's the fact that if you can smell it, you are also passively ingesting THC (although admittedly one is unlikely to inhale/absorb enough THC to become impaired). However, marijuana smoke is just as harmful as tobacco smoke and it also has its own (obvious) hazards that tobacco smoke does not have, and yet smokers tend to approach this issue as if it is your problem if you don't like it. Granted, you can always leave the affected area if you don't like it, but it is still annoying to have to do so just to avoid inhaling a mind-altering drug when you don't wish to, like the time when a group of stoners sat at the table next to me when I was halfway through dinner and started smoking massive joints... (OK, it was the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip and I probably should have known better before going there for dinner :ouch:), but the point was that I either had to accept it or move - and given that there was a half-hour wait for a table, it wasn't really an option for me and my friends to move, so we ended up finishing our dinner in a cloud of pot smoke - we left feeling hungrier than when we arrived :irked:. I would agree with the view that it probably hasn't got much worse at the Rainbow since legalisation in L.A. (since this was barely physically possible!) but I can imagine that the problem of trying to find a decent bar that doesn't allow marijuana smoking outside is now a fair bit harder than it was. I'm glad for the fact that it is not legal (at least in public) here, since the attitude of smokers here is the same i.e. 'if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else' - funny how they never consider the alternative, which is for them to piss off and smoke somewhere else.
I really don't know if contact high is a thing or not, but I really don't think you'll be able to get any mind-altering affects, or even a high, unless there was a tube connected from their mouth to yours. However, all the same, I get the sentiment, because I'm the same way with cigarettes, even though I used to be a heavy smoker. I try not to do it in dense area's, or even near most places in general, unfortunately you ran into a bunch of dicks.

As for finding a bar that doesn't allow Marijuana smoking out front, Legally, there is not one place that allows that. That is public space and that is against the law, and to allow use inside would require specific permits I'm thinking, that most wouldn't even care to pay for. It's up to the establishment to shoo those away, really. However, just like Cigarette smoke, I also get annoyed by people doing it in very public area's, as it makes it feel like they're just doing it as a way to show off, in a sense. I would love for the day that the stigma around smoking would lessen, to be honest, as I'd very much enjoy going out for a smoke around the corner while I'm out at my favorite brewery without having to worry about getting pulled over, but I don't really see that being a thing in some time because of the negative view of it in general leading people to think of too much potential negative instances that might surround that idea. Which kinda sucks because it's something that's really not too different than a cigarette.

I think if weed smokers where given public area's to do it, then it would do well to help out the concerns of the people that would have to deal with it in public.

CBD is what it's called, and I know a few people that use it for pain relief. Since it has no THC it gives you no high, which is great for those who want to use marijuana for medicinal reasons, but don't like psychological effects of it. Bill Nye has a great episode on that, and Marijuana on his recent Netflix series. the US doesn't allow the study of it unless there's medicinal value to it, but because they cant study it, they wont be able to show that, which is kind of a way weird to go around it. I believe the Doctor that figured out how to extract THC and CBD from Marijuana is in Isreal.
It's incredible. Kids use it to stop their seizures and epilepsy. The US has backwards rules in place from the "reefer madness" era so I doubt things will change on a large scale any time soon.

It's incredible. Kids use it to stop their seizures and epilepsy. The US has backwards rules in place from the "reefer madness" era so I doubt things will change on a large scale any time soon.
With fools like Sessions and Pence, we definitely wont see a federal change, regardless of trumps stance of letting states decide. Kinda unrepublican of them if you ask me. But, I dont know that it will be a long time either. If this mid term election cycle pulls in more dems and independents, and the primaries sees a dem pres, then we could see a schedule change at the very least in just a few years.

With fools like Sessions and Pence, we definitely wont see a federal change, regardless of trumps stance of letting states decide. Kinda unrepublican of them if you ask me. But, I dont know that it will be a long time either. If this mid term election cycle pulls in more dems and independents, and the primaries sees a dem pres, then we could see a schedule change at the very least in just a few years.

The DEA re-upped marijuana as a schedule 1 drug despite these kinds of developments being well known during the Obama administration - an administration known for its soft stance on marijuana. That should tell you something about the inertia behind federal marijuana bans completely unrelated to a given political administration.

Back