Legalization of Marijuana

• Thread starter Event
  • 1,437 comments
I may have said this before, but I wonder how people in America who have either spent time in jail for marijuana possession or have a criminal conviction for marijuana use/possession feel about the fact that it is now legal in many US states, and now even entire countries such as that well-known hive of iniquity, Canada. It must be pretty galling to have been severely punished (and perhaps even ruined your entire adult life) for something that is no longer criminal in many places.

This is just a hunch, but I'm guessing that there is a federal prison in Colorado where someone is serving a sentence for marijuana that would currently be legal under Colorado law. I'd wager that there is someone rotting in prison for something that is legal where they are.

This is just a hunch, but I'm guessing that there is a federal prison in Colorado where someone is serving a sentence for marijuana that would currently be legal under Colorado law. I'd wager that there is someone rotting in prison for something that is legal where they are.

Very curious if they can appeal their sentence for a new decision under new laws. Some are sitting in jail for decades for charges related to cannabis.

Very curious if they can appeal their sentence for a new decision under new laws. Some are sitting in jail for decades for charges related to cannabis.

If they're in a federal prison, those laws haven't changed (federal laws against marijuana still exist). So they're stuck, being in a federal jail for something that is legal in their state.

If they're in a federal prison, those laws haven't changed (federal laws against marijuana still exist). So they're stuck, being in a federal jail for something that is legal in their state.

That is unbelievable cruel. Are there any steps being taken to change this or even help people that were charged with possession?

I just returned from vacation in Washington state and also visited Oregon. Both states marijuana is legal for recreational use and was amazed seeing weed stores on the side of the road. It's legal for recreational use in CA (where I live) too but not on that level of stores on the corner. CA basically voted to legalize it and leave it up to the cities to decide if they will allow it. No, I did not partake but it's not a moral thing it's an employment thing and I really wish they'd take if off the illicit drug list. Same reason I never got a weed card here in CA and urged my friends to not do so because of how it could possibly affect them in the future (think firearm ownership or applying for a federal job). I have absolutely no problem with marijuana. Lord knows I smoked plenty of it in high school and had a few years after I got out of the military where I casually smoked it. But my job requires not testing positive for illicit substances and I'm not willing to risk that. If the government didn't classify it as a Schedule 1 I might partake given it's safer than alcohol.

That is unbelievable cruel. Are there any steps being taken to change this or even help people that were charged with possession?

For that, we'd need to be taking steps to decriminalize it federally. I think the short answer to that question is "no". The longer answer to the question is that it does help that states are decriminalizing it, by putting pressure on the federal government to follow suit.

For that, we'd need to be taking steps to decriminalize it federally. I think the short answer to that question is "no". The longer answer to the question is that it does help that states are decriminalizing it, by putting pressure on the federal government to follow suit.

It is still difficult to understand how federal and state law can conflict so much.

I just returned from vacation in Washington state and also visited Oregon. Both states marijuana is legal for recreational use and was amazed seeing weed stores on the side of the road. It's legal for recreational use in CA (where I live) too but not on that level of stores on the corner. CA basically voted to legalize it and leave it up to the cities to decide if they will allow it. No, I did not partake but it's not a moral thing it's an employment thing and I really wish they'd take if off the illicit drug list. Same reason I never got a weed card here in CA and urged my friends to not do so because of how it could possibly affect them in the future (think firearm ownership or applying for a federal job). I have absolutely no problem with marijuana. Lord knows I smoked plenty of it in high school and had a few years after I got out of the military where I casually smoked it. But my job requires not testing positive for illicit substances and I'm not willing to risk that. If the government didn't classify it as a Schedule 1 I might partake given it's safer than alcohol.

Thanks for visiting us, hope you had good time in both states.

Yes, there are stores everywhere even in small towns across the state. It's been a boon to those rural areas too. Where jobs are harder to find, it has been a job creator. Also not nearly as visible are the growing farms, which keep sprouting up all over the place, also creates plenty of jobs, not to mention the packaging and labeling businesses that benefit from the industry too.

In less than a decade, we are going to be comparing the growth of the Marijuana industry to the likes of the personal computer revolution of the 80's and to the dotcom revolution of the late 90's (and early 2000's), and to Apple's renaissance that brought us the ipod, ipad, iphone, and the iwatch.

Yes, there are stores everywhere even in small towns across the state. It's been a boon to those rural areas too. Where jobs are harder to find, it has been a job creator. Also not nearly as visible are the growing farms, which keep sprouting up all over the place, also creates plenty of jobs, not to mention the packaging and labeling businesses that benefit from the industry too.

In less than a decade, we are going to be comparing the growth of the Marijuana industry to the likes of the personal computer revolution of the 80's and to the dotcom revolution of the late 90's (and early 2000's), and to Apple's renaissance that brought us the ipod, ipad, iphone, and the iwatch.

Just cant imagine those shops in the USA. How is the shopping experience? Like going to a pharmacy or more like going to coffeeshop.
I am used to coffeeshops here in the netherlands, where you buy your marihuana. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeeshop_(Netherlands)

Just cant imagine those shops in the USA. How is the shopping experience? Like going to a pharmacy or more like going to coffeeshop.
I am used to coffeeshops here in the netherlands, where you buy your marihuana. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeeshop_(Netherlands)
Like walking into a headshop (paraphernalia store) but they also sell weed too.

As for the boon. Let's hope it doesnt also have a subsequent crash like the dotcoms...

Like walking into a headshop (paraphernalia store) but they also sell weed too.

Are there smoking/vaping area's? Can you sit and have a drink? Most of the photo's I have seen mostly look like a videogame or music store.

As for the boon. Let's hope it doesnt also have a subsequent crash like the dotcoms...

Hard to compare. dotcom crash was because of inflated valuation. The only thing that stops this boom is that they make it illegal again. If I were in the USA I would definately explore ways to opena business in the industry. What are the regulations of smoking/vaping in the legalised states? Is opening a coffeesshop in the "dutch" style possible? I guess it varies per state.

Last edited:
Are there smoking/vaping area's? Can you sit and have a drink? Most of the photo's I have seen mostly look like a videogame or music store.
That's basically what a head shop is, but for pipes and bongs. As far as I know, smoking pot either follows cigarette laws (no smoking within 50 feet of a building entrance, none inside) or must be done in your private residence.

Sensible approach 👍 Though I'd argue that it is not safer than alcohol, though the risks of both are totally different. Alcohol is perfectly safe so long as you don't abuse it - not quite the case with THC, though it will certainly help to have a legal means of acquiring the drug in known quantities.

Imagine buying booze from an unmarked bottle from a guy on a street corner - that is incredibly risky but that is what other drug users are forced to accept in exchange for choosing to use an illegal drug. But my main point is that even a small quantity of THC can trigger extremely dangerous and damaging (and sometimes permanent) psychological damage, even if you know how much you are taking - not so with alcohol, though it is damaging in high doses too.

Marijuana isn't going to kill you even if you over-do it, but unlike alcohol it can drive you crazy, even without 'abuse' level usage.

I had a great time and the main reason for the trip was to scout it out to relocate out of CA. I think the job and revenue thing is what irritates me about CA's "legalization" of marijuana. A state this devoted to taxation and revenue generation is really missing out on profits almost to the level that we are above it all. As I said when we voted to legalize it, we basically voted to leave it up to the Cities to decide if they will allow these stores within them. Where I live most of the Cities in the county are resisting it very hard with 1930's style scare tactics and a lot of misinformation. Not only are they losing money from taxes but also DUI revenue by setting up checkpoints to bust marijuana users like we do with alcohol. Personally I'd rather share the road with marijuana users going to Taco Bell 10 mph under the speed limit because they are too paranoid to get pulled over than a loosey goosey drunk who thinks they aren't that impaired. Alcohol for sure inhibits your decision making while, in my own experience, marijuana does not and if anything makes you more cautious and increases awareness. I'm no angel, I've driven drunk in my younger days more times than I care to remember but would flat out refuse to drive stoned until I felt comfortable enough to do so and was very cautious. I had trouble sleeping when I returned to civilian life from the service and marijuana helped with that immensely. While alcohol can too you just end up a drunk and doing a lot of damage to your body. I really wish it wasn't a schedule 1 drug to the Feds.

Sensible approach 👍 Though I'd argue that it is not safer than alcohol, though the risks of both are totally different. Alcohol is perfectly safe so long as you don't abuse it - not quite the case with THC, though it will certainly help to have a legal means of acquiring the drug in known quantities.

Imagine buying booze from an unmarked bottle from a guy on a street corner - that is incredibly risky but that is what other drug users are forced to accept in exchange for choosing to use an illegal drug. But my main point is that even a small quantity of THC can trigger extremely dangerous and damaging (and sometimes permanent) psychological damage, even if you know how much you are taking - not so with alcohol, though it is damaging in high doses too.

Marijuana isn't going to kill you even if you over-do it, but unlike alcohol it can drive you crazy, even without 'abuse' level usage.
can you cite a study that actually proves it drives you crazy if you dont already have a propensity for being crazy?

That's basically what a head shop is, but for pipes and bongs. As far as I know, smoking pot either follows cigarette laws (no smoking within 50 feet of a building entrance, none inside) or must be done in your private residence.
Yep, we still can't smoke in public here so it's a bit more restricted than cigarettes. Public use is no different than it was before all this, to be honest. I think there is a bit more leniency with it though if one does get in trouble for it.

I've heard of bars and restaurants dabbling with having 420 sections, or just allowing it outright, but I'm not sure the technicalities of it, or if it was just a pipedream for now.

Imagine buying booze from an unmarked bottle from a guy on a street corner - that is incredibly risky but that is what other drug users are forced to accept in exchange for choosing to use an illegal drug.
Eh, I really don't think it's that bad. It's usually not just finding a random person, but more of a word-of-mouth situation. You get word of a friend of a friend that has good stuff, more often than not they aren't even shady people either. Still risky, but for the most part, effective in that day and age because if you sold bunk stuff, you wouldn't get anyone to return, or even go in the first place. I would never go to some random-joe, but I'm sure there are some that are just willy nilly like that.

The psychological damage of THC has been exaggerated a lot. Although the risk is there it is mostly attributed to people that already displayed problem with mental health. In our country yearly 4000 deaths are attributed directly to alcohol (not counting drunk driving etc.) use and 0 deaths to cannabis. So I would argue with you that alcohol still is the most dangerous drug of them all. Rape, abuse and violence overall have also often been reported with a combination with alcohol use. Even violence caused by cocaine or other chemical drugs have often been reported in combination with alcohol use.

I have yet to read or hear a story of someone becoming violent, raping etc because of marijuana. The cases that do exist are often related with alcohol use or the person already had a violent history.

But like any drug, too much of something is never healthy and safe. That actually goes for everything. Too much sleeping, sitting, standing, tv, gaming, eating, coffee, sex etc. is not good for your health.

As for personal experience I have smoked since I was 14 and had periods I smoked daily untill I was 19. From 20 after I only smoke occasionally and honestly dont think it had any significant influence on my mental health. Perhaps my shortterm memory is not to its full potential, but that is only a hunch. I do have friends that can become paranoid, but that actually prevents them from ever using it again.

Last edited:

I can only speak for myself and my experiences with both alcohol and weed. I think one of the negatives of legalization is, if you can imagine, someone who has never smoked marijuana or eaten an edible then doing so because it's now legal and eating an edible of slow acting, high grade Snoop Dogg-esque weed and having a really bad experience with it and up massively impaired, comatose behind the wheel. I just think the decision making process is much different with alcohol than it is with weed. Also in my experience, alcohol and weed together are not a good mix and if I had to pick one it'd be weed. But I am pretty limited to alcohol and I wish I had another choice that wouldn't risk my job or potential jobs due to the government's classification. I also had brief period where I smoked spice so I wouldn't fail drug tests and had a very negative experience with it. Long story short it was very bad for my mind and turned me into a super paranoid recluse. Very intense, looking out windows like a meth head wondering if people took me seriously, freaking out about mouse clicks on my computer etc. It was pretty scary. I vowed to never touch that stuff again and to just smoke weed. I do not recommend anyone smoke that. Nobody even knows what it even is. The only good thing about it is the "high" lasts for a very short period of time thankfully.

It's not really like a coffee shop, there is no seating or anything, it's more like visiting a head shop for Pipes and bongs, but you buy pot instead. The laws say you can't smoke in the stores or in the parking lots so there is no consuming anything at these locations. Like drinking in public, which isn't allowed, you also can't smoke in public either. Which is probably for the best since you shouldn't be smoking and driving, just wait until you get home.

It's a pretty quick experience, you are in and out in about 10 minutes or less depending on how long it take you to make up your mind about all of the strains for sale, stuff like the classic Super Lemon Haze, Strawberry Cough (Amsterdam strain), then you get to the more funny, inventive names, like Berry White, Bruce Banner, Alien Cookies, and so on. Everything is labeled according to the law with the THC percentages and Cannabinoids (CBD) percentages clearly on each label so you know exactly what you are buying. They also have special strains that only help with pain and literally have no THC at all that you can buy (it will not get you high at all). On your first trip you will be surprised at the diversity of people who shop there, working class people with regular jobs, elderly retirees, 20 somethings, I've even seen soccer moms. Basically, your neighbors, your community, just regular people, which will quickly shatter the preconceived notion of what a 'stoner' looks like. The staff is generally very friendly and helpful and they act like they like working there, it's not like going to a walmart or anything, it's way more pleasant than that. The customers are usually in a good mood too, I mean they are about to buy some legal weed, why wouldn't they be happy?

As for personal experience I have smoked since I was 14 and had periods I smoked daily untill I was 19. From 20 after I only smoke occasionally and honestly dont think it had any significant influence on my mental health. Perhaps my shortterm memory is not to its full potential, but that is only a hunch. I do have friends that can become paranoid, but that actually prevents them from ever using it again.
I smoke pretty much daily, not large amounts as I don't have a high tolerance for it for some reason, but I can't really think of any way it's negatively impacting my life or mental health at this point. If anything, it would probably just be my lungs if anything, but I ride around 7-8 miles a day to work and would sometimes even exercise with body weight training after I get home on some days(although that has stopped due to lazyness over the past year or two, but plan to incorporate that back into my routine sooner or later) so I'm not even sure I can say that fully.

On the other side of that, I don't seem to have a problem quitting if I need/want to. I've done it to save money, I've also done it because I thought it was giving me asthma(which was me just over thinking because, now, that couldn't be farther from the truth - It was actually the cigarettes I was smoking at the same time, that I've been about 4-5 years clean from now.)

I smoke pretty much daily, not large amounts as I don't have a high tolerance for it for some reason, but I can't really think of any way it's negatively impacting my life or mental health at this point. If anything, it would probably just be my lungs if anything, but I ride around 7-8 miles a day to work and would sometimes even exercise with body weight training after I get home on some days(although that has stopped due to lazyness over the past year or two, but plan to incorporate that back into my routine sooner or later) so I'm not even sure I can say that fully.

On the other side of that, I don't seem to have a problem quitting if I need/want to. I've done it to save money, I've also done it because I thought it was giving me asthma(which was me just over thinking because now, that couldn't be farther from the truth - It was actually the cigarettes I was smoking at the same time, that I've been about 4-5 years clean from now.)

Congrats on quitting tobacco and staying the course, that is a major accomplishment,

Congrats on quitting tobacco and staying the course, that is a major accomplishment,
Thanks 👍 After the first year it didn't even click in my head anymore. So much so that I can't even recall exactly it was when I stopped initially.

It also gave my other half a little incentive to try to stop on her own too. Although it took some time, and she seemed to have it rough, she's been about a year and a half clean now. I'm more glad for that than my own, to be honest.

You can vape in the smoke shops.(here) no one would know and I've seen vapers in the the store blazed)
Just adding cause he mentioned vaping.

As far as that. I can only speaking on MI law, and that is vape follows the same laws as cigarettes.
But, I always thought it was silly not allowing smoking in a smoke shop of any sort. I mean, who exactly are you protecting from second hand smoke... first hand smokers? Not many none smokers really visit a smoke shop.

Last edited:
As fast as that. I can only speaking on MI law, and that is vape follows the same laws as cigarettes.
But, I always thought it was silly not allowing smoking in a smoke shop of any sort. I mean, who exactly are you protecting from second hand smoke... first hand smokers? Not many none smokers really visit a smoke shop.

This is true for the most part but of course there are always exception to the rule. My mother in law occasionally visits a shop to buy some edibles to help with her Nerve disorder. The name of the condition escapes me right now, but it causes a burning sensation pain mainly on the top of her head but not limited to just that area. She says it feels like her head is on fire and the edibles help alleviate a good portion of the pain. She has never smoke anything in her life. You get all sorts that shop at these places, they also sell beverages, hard candies and other sorts of confections there too, so you will always have people there to just buy that stuff.

can you cite a study that actually proves it drives you crazy if you dont already have a propensity for being crazy?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25767748

Cannabinoids do cause psychosis, though it is only implicated in permanent psychosis when there is an underlying pre-disposition. I also speak from personal experience, having experienced a genuine paranoiac event as a result of cannabis use - it was not pleasant. By its very nature, it is hard to study the effects/results of these psychotic events in individuals, but from my own experience I can say that I believe them to be extremely dangerous - actual paranoia is absolutely horrible and could easily result in an individual doing something totally irrational because they are, temporarily, psychotic. The difference between cannabis and alcohol is that while both can lead to psychosis, it requires something of a concerted effort to drink enough alcohol (and usually over a considerable length of time) in order to lead to psychotic events - meanwhile, a single (albeit high) dose of cannabis is enough to produce a psychotic event in people who are not even pre-disposed to mental illness. I know my own personal experience is not the be-all and end-all, but I have never come across a person who has had a psychotic/paranoiac event after a single dose of alcohol.

I don't mean to offend, but did you have a psychotic event, or was it just a panic attack? Have you had either to have a justifiable experience to say thats what your anecdote was?
I've personally never had a psychotic episode, but have had lots of anxiety and panic attacks. Your heart races, vision can white out, you get clammy, nauseous, your brain goes weird. It's a very bad feeling. Like you are going crazy and are going to die all wrapped together. That can absolutely be set in by in taking to much thc.
As you and your citation point out, the only studies that current show any link between psychosis and marijuana are with those that already suffer from psychosis. That has zero bearing on thc causing psychosis, only exacerbating what's already there. Which very much is likely due to the fact that it can cause anxiety and paranoia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25767748

Cannabinoids do cause psychosis, though it is only implicated in permanent psychosis when there is an underlying pre-disposition. I also speak from personal experience, having experienced a genuine paranoiac event as a result of cannabis use - it was not pleasant. By its very nature, it is hard to study the effects/results of these psychotic events in individuals, but from my own experience I can say that I believe them to be extremely dangerous - actual paranoia is absolutely horrible and could easily result in an individual doing something totally irrational because they are, temporarily, psychotic. The difference between cannabis and alcohol is that while both can lead to psychosis, it requires something of a concerted effort to drink enough alcohol (and usually over a considerable length of time) in order to lead to psychotic events - meanwhile, a single (albeit high) dose of cannabis is enough to produce a psychotic event in people who are not even pre-disposed to mental illness. I know my own personal experience is not the be-all and end-all, but I have never come across a person who has had a psychotic/paranoiac event after a single dose of alcohol.
I don't mean to offend, but did you have a psychotic event, or was it just a panic attack? Have you had either to have a justifiable experience to say thats what your anecdote was?
I've personally never had a psychotic episode, but have had lots of anxiety and panic attacks. Your heart races, vision can white out, you get clammy, nauseous, your brain goes weird. It's a very bad feeling. Like you are going crazy and are going to die all wrapped together. That can absolutely be set in by in taking to much thc.
As you and your citation point out, the only studies that current show any link between psychosis and marijuana are with those that already suffer from psychosis. That has zero bearing on thc causing psychosis, only exacerbating what's already there. Which very much is likely due to the fact that it can cause anxiety and paranoia.
I'm inclined to believe the same thing, as I've had situations like that occur, rarely, over the past 15 years of use. Sometimes you even feel like you're short of breath, making it feel like you're not able to catch that one big intake of air that'll relieve you. The feeling goes away shortly after, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it leads me to psychotic events. Quite the opposite really - it made me want to sit as still possible and just wash my face off endlessly until the feeling went away.

I've never seen a person have a psychotic/paranoiac event after a single average dose of marijuana either, that happens from overuse I would imagine. An average dosage likely wouldn't cause it, and I'd imagine what would cause that is people not knowing what they're actually taking or the actual strength of it and not being prepared for the effect of it in turn. Just like the same overuse of alcohol can produce similar results. In a similar fashion, do you think the same results would occur if you give someone, that rarely/doesn't drink, an extremely high percentage alcohol in the form of a shot or a pint?

I remember one of the first times I drank alcohol, I had taken a few shots(can't recall exactly how much, but it really wasn't a lot at all) of my parents stash that I found. I was throwing up violently. Not knowing what was actually happening I thought I was dying and all kinds of thoughts were running through my head. Was I crazy? No I was just wasted, and because I never drank before I didn't know the consequences of over using something.

Recreational marijuana use is legal in Michigan as of today. Go figure that the republicans in the state are trying to wreck the bill before losing their seats next month.
The proposed changes dont even make much sense. First off, they want to shift the way the tax revenue is spent, taking 8t away from schools and road repairs, and giving it instead to police and prisons :irked:. Theb they want to change the allowance for home growing saying "it will pull sales away thus reducing the tax revenues" :rolleyes: of course, the real kicker is that they want to drop the taxed percentage from 10% to 3%. :confused: but.... no hone growing because of taxes? FFS this is why republicans lost michigan. Underhanded politics like this. Luckily it needs 3/4 support in the house which it doesnt have.
Thus of course was just of a dozen different lame duck Bill's they are trying to get passed and the gist of them all makes it feel very much like a bunch of spoiled brat sore losers trying to break the toy before anyone else gets a chance to play with it. Bill's and alterations to newly voted initiatives should not be allowed after the November voting cycle until the new year.

Back